• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Nakazato said:
the Mnk skills for evasion/att/Def is great mp will be more important tho and might limit Mnks in PTs without a brd. hopefully the eva move that refreshes MP will be better that is has been

Especially since it looks like they got rid of the drain mp abilities. Hah knew it, my guess is those abilities will come back in some form whenever they get around to adding Dark Knight.

I like the changes to the mages, although I wonder what they are planning to do now that the water element has been taken out of our repertoire. Its nice to see that regen will make its way into the game as well, and also nice to see confirmation of PLD getting a healing spell, and its an awesome healing spell at that with some nice conditions. All around though some pretty drastic changes, most of the abilities are exclusive, and most of the high end weaponskill 'combos' are exclusive as well. Hopefully most of the non-exclusve abilities can be gotten within the first 30 levels so it doesn't become like it was before. To be the best at a class/job you need to have multiple lvl 50's instead of just the one you want to enjoy.

Loving the changes so far. The abilities, positioning, and combos should make combat a lot more interesting. The overall amount of job abilities does seem kind of low and I was hoping they would post the "traits" (always active abilities). Seems like a good starting point though.

Dragoon jump abilities should make a lot of people happy and I'm really excited that MNK is getting kick added to auto-attack. Time to go level PGL. MNK and BLM will be my new main jobs (previously THM and CON).

Allard said:
I like the changes to the mages, although I wonder what they are planning to do now that the water element has been taken out of our repertoire.

Thaumaturges are casters who command spells of the six elements to wreak havoc on their enemies. Their unparalleled devotion to the realm of magic endows them with the largest MP and smallest HP pools among all the classes. Though known for their inherently weak defenses, thaumaturges are feared for the destructive forces they wield. Specializing as a black mage serves to further strengthen class characteristics and also increases MP. Black mages are able to invoke devastating spells of ancient magic and subdue multiple enemies with a single cast.

Maybe more spells are coming later because I only see Ice, Fire, and Lightning mentioned in the THM/BLM ability list.

Ravidrath

Wow, this is a lot more different than I expected - wxciting stuff.

Wonder if Water missing was an oversight? I was expecting that half would be CON and half would be THM. Although I expected that they'd be the three light-aligned elements and the three dark-aligned elements, though. But Wind / Earth / (Water?) are good fits for CON's nature theme.

Kind of surprised to see them eliminating Banish and Scourge... but maybe they're in the process of making those real elements, instead of just a melange of various elements, and they'll become WHM and BLM spells sometime down the line.

Jinko

They could do so much more with the umbral and astral magic, like Dark mage or Dark Knight, Astral mage or something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see water get added when they increase the level cap, ancient magic should come back at around lvl 99.

They could be saving Water for Arcanist which would make more sense I suppose, as Yoshi has said that will be the next class to be added to the game. (Arcanist being from Limsa and being in tune with the sea perhaps.)

Allard

Jinko said:
They could do so much more with the umbral and astral magic, like Dark mage or Dark Knight, Astral mage or something.

I wouldn't be surprised to see water get added when they increase the level cap, ancient magic should come back at around lvl 99.

They are (like you said) probably looking ahead to what they want to add at new level caps, but simple 'water' spell seems like a stupid addition for higher levels (You would think water first and then lightning as a higher spell!). My guess is they plan to add it into another mage class that traditionally can use elemental magic, like say RDM. Enfeebling spells and some of the THM buffs can also goto a potential RDM job, and the drain spells and potency abilities can goto a Dark Knight Class/job. By truncating the spell/ability pool and making each class more specialized, they open up so many more possible ways to add new classes and jobs into the game.

Ravidrath

I'm thinking that Freeze, Tornado, etc. are likely the combo spells?

Also, it seems weird and annoying that THM has some elements that are only AoE. I'm kind of concerned that these changes mean that elements are not, in fact, on equal footing. More than likely, however, this makes me think that Arcanist will get the single-target versions of Fire.

Also, the removal of all status effects from THM and many buffs from both CNJ and THM makes me think that Arcanist is going to be a buff/debuff mage that that upgrades into Red Mage or Time Mage or something. Right now all Arcanists are equipped with magitek-y staves, so they'd have to make them use epees or something for it to a true be RDM, really.

Jinko

Seems they are trying to make blackmage like a standard MMO mage.

If you look at WoW you get Fire, Ice and Arcane
Here you get Fire, Ice and Lightning.

Can't see slow, dia, posion, bio etc so Arcanist does look like it will fall into the time mage or debuffer category, but how long do we have to wait for them to add this ? (of course arcanist does suggest arcane magic also)

So, then, what's the general consensus towards these class reforms? Good? Bad? Indifferent?

Pretty good IMO, I would still like to see what they have planned for traits and would have liked to see some more of the skills made exclusive.

Can't really say until I get my hands on it, I'm curious if they plan to make WHM a suitable DD class what with the Aero/Earth spells/combos.

As for RDM I would much rather them keep this for Fencer if they still plan that class, fen/con could imbue players with elemental effects to both weapons and armour.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Looks good so far. No amount of theorycrafting at this stage is going to amount to much. We have to actually play it first to make a sound judgement.

Allard

Rentahamster said:
Looks good so far. No amount of theorycrafting at this stage is going to amount to much. We have to actually play it first to make a sound judgement.

We are also missing the 8 class/job traits from each class which are supposed to be exclusive. If the passive traits have some reasonable expansion of the class, they could change other deficiencies we have with the current class structure.

As for new classes/jobs coming now that we have seen what has been removed. I'm guessing Arcanist will come as a pure mage class that buffs, becomes the master of crowd control, and does a small amount of damage (Make them get Scourge and Banish and be the new master of the astral and umbral forces). The job would be Time Mage and it would get haste and slow spells, as well comet.

Fencer -> RDM. Enfeeble and enhancing magic and abilities with some melee thrown in. Basically the front line mage. Maybe make this the class that gets the missing water spell.

True Scythe Class -> Dark Knight. Damage augmenting abilities and drain spells. Takes opponents stengths and uses it as his or his parties own strength (The original focus of the THM class).

The changes open up so many more old job options its a bit hilarious. Where before one had to struggle to find out what could make the new classes unique the changes made it obvious XD.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
Can't really say until I get my hands on it, I'm curious if they plan to make WHM a suitable DD class what with the Aero/Earth spells/combos.

Remember that jobs will also lock away certain abilities - I'm guessing that these get locked when you become WHM.

Allard said:
Fencer -> RDM. Enfeeble and enhancing magic and abilities with some melee thrown in. Basically the front line mage. Maybe make this the class that gets the missing water spell.

Yeah, we could see something like... Time Mage is ACN/CNJ, and Red Mage is GLA/ACN. Dark Knight could possibly be MRD/ACN.

Jinko

Ravidrath said:
Remember that jobs will also lock away certain abilities - I'm guessing that these get locked when you become WHM.

Yup I'm hoping that is what happens, as much as I wana be a whm that blows shit up, I would rather the roles be more defined than that.

Looks good so far, what I'd really like to know is the recast timers on some of these abilities. I'm kind of torn as to what I'd want to play once the jobs are released. I sort of want to try bard but my archer is only 30 so I wonder if I should level it up now or wait and level as a bard instead. In any case, it sort of sucks for me right now since my retainers and inventory are completely full but I don't want to try any melds since the dying changes are coming in 1.20. I hope that patch hits before I finish with Skyrim lol

Caerith

Thaumaturges are casters who command spells of the six elements to wreak havoc on their enemies. Their unparalleled devotion to the realm of magic endows them with the largest MP and smallest HP pools among all the classes. Though known for their inherently weak defenses, thaumaturges are feared for the destructive forces they wield. Specializing as a black mage serves to further strengthen class characteristics and also increases MP. Black mages are able to invoke devastating spells of ancient magic and subdue multiple enemies with a single cast.
Did they switch the names? I'm pretty sure that Conjurers are the mages who command spells of the six elements.

Caerith

They are completely revamping the base classes so the jobs make sense.
CNJ → White Mage
THM → Black Mage
I know they're revamping a lot of stuff, but I thought they weren't touching the lore. Or, at least, that they wouldn't completely switch the roles of two classes.

Conjurers are elemental magic users. Thaumaturges are healers, undertakers, and necromancers.
Black Mages are elemental magic users. White Mages heal and bring people back from the dead.

So they're now retconning CON to take their elemental magic and give it to THM, and taking away the healing and necromantic parts of THM to make them elementalists. I get the feeling this is all because CON had Cure, which it shouldn't have had in the first place.

Conjurers have been the "main healers" for quite some time now so they aren't really switching the roles at this point. I think people need to get over their preconceptions of what certain jobs should be and just let the devs create their own vision of what abilities each job should have.

Jinko

Agreed the lore can be changed easy enough where THM is concerned, CON still has use of elemental skills.

I won't be overly surprised further down the road if they completely remove classes and just keep the job system, this game should have FFT jobs system lol (wishful thinking perhaps)

Cmagus

Got my GLA to 43, hoping to hit 50 today with that. Ran Ifirit a ton last night but no weapon drops sadly.New classes look good I can't wait for Dragoon. Are the new classes actually coming next update?

Lalapalooza

uuuf.jpg

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Got my GLA to 43, hoping to hit 50 today with that. Ran Ifirit a ton last night but no weapon drops sadly.New classes look good I can't wait for Dragoon. Are the new classes actually coming next update?

Lalapalooza

uuuf.jpg

No, classes are in 1.21, next update come skill revamp, pc search and like ah market.

Cmagus

Are the system requirements for the game still as high as when it launched or have they optimized it a bit?

They are still high to make it look really pretty but if that isn't your main concern you can easily play it on a decent rig.I don't have the best rig but my screen i just posted is running at standard across the board

Teknoman

Agreed the lore can be changed easy enough where THM is concerned, CON still has use of elemental skills.

I won't be overly surprised further down the road if they completely remove classes and just keep the job system, this game should have FFT jobs system lol (wishful thinking perhaps)

Well looking at how crazy development has been for the game, I wouldnt be surprised. Would be a great change imo.

EDIT: I need to really step it up, and get Gladiator to 50. Missing out on all the megaboss battle fun. Havent even run Darkhold yet.

Ravidrath

Well looking at how crazy development has been for the game, I wouldnt be surprised. Would be a great change imo.

EDIT: I need to really step it up, and get Gladiator to 50. Missing out on all the megaboss battle fun. Havent even run Darkhold yet.

Not sure how they could really do that.

And, really, the system is already kind of like the FFT job system. Instead of just Squire and Chemist, classes are all the basics that turn into the more advanced Jobs.

Jijidasu

I thought I'd put this on my new PC to see how it runs before it goes back to subscription only however I'm being riddled with connection issues and it's infuriating as I've tried everything.

A bit of a run-down:

My ISP has peer-to-peer blocked, so no torrenting. Patching the game was impossible with the official patcher so I had to download them via FTP.

When I log in my S and R are red; my S:30+ but R:0. A few seconds in if I'm lucky the R will go to about 30 and then drop back down and stay that way. I'm able to run around for a while until I get hit with a 30002 error.

Now, as for trying to fix it:
I've forwarded the ports required for the game. I've tried various 'fixes' which required disabling processes on my network card, these didn't work. I've DMZ'ed my PC and so on to no avail.

I'm really at a loss for what to do, any ideas?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I thought I'd put this on my new PC to see how it runs before it goes back to subscription only however I'm being riddled with connection issues and it's infuriating as I've tried everything.

A bit of a run-down:

My ISP has peer-to-peer blocked, so no torrenting. Patching the game was impossible with the official patcher so I had to download them via FTP.

When I log in my S and R are red; my S:30+ but R:0. A few seconds in if I'm lucky the R will go to about 30 and then drop back down and stay that way. I'm able to run around for a while until I get hit with a 30002 error.

Now, as for trying to fix it:
I've forwarded the ports required for the game. I've tried various 'fixes' which required disabling processes on my network card, these didn't work. I've DMZ'ed my PC and so on to no avail.

I'm really at a loss for what to do, any ideas?

Are you on wireless? Is this the only game you have connection problems with? Do you have the same problems if you bypass your router and connect your PC directly to your modem?

You can try a tracert to ffxiv's servers:
(http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/29286-Feedback-Request-on-Network-Delay)

tracert -h 50 traceip.ffxiv.com

Does it reach them or timeout?

Do you have windows firewall or a thrid party software firewall enabled? might it be interfering?

There's an article here you can take a look at:
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=56903&ret=faqtop&c=5&sc=49

You running windows XP service pack 2? If so, you need to manually add an exception to the firewall.

More on network connectivity issues:

http://support.na.square-enix.com/f...tq4802ih40&c=5&sc=39&q=&id=902&la=1#FAQRESULT

Jijidasu

Are you on wireless? Is this the only game you have connection problems with? Do you have the same problems if you bypass your router and connect your PC directly to your modem?

You can try a tracert to ffxiv's servers:
(http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/29286-Feedback-Request-on-Network-Delay)

tracert -h 50 traceip.ffxiv.com

Does it reach them or timeout?

Do you have windows firewall or a thrid party software firewall enabled? might it be interfering?

There's an article here you can take a look at:
http://support.na.square-enix.com/faqarticle.php?id=902&la=1&kid=56903&ret=faqtop&c=5&sc=49

You running windows XP service pack 2? If so, you need to manually add an exception to the firewall.

More on network connectivity issues:

http://support.na.square-enix.com/f...tq4802ih40&c=5&sc=39&q=&id=902&la=1#FAQRESULT

Thanks for the help. I should of given more information.

I'm running windows 7 (I just built this new PC). I tried the traceip thing and they all worked fine. I've checked windows defender and I couldn't find anything out of the norm. I'm using Avast as well, there seems to be no blockage there.

I'm completely lost to be honest, I'm no good with networking to begin with so this is like a crash course.

Jijidasu

Sorry to bump this with my problems again. I've just tried the pingtest.net application and I failed the packet loss test. I can send packets but I cannot receive them. What steps should I take to remedy this?

Gromph

Staff Member
Sorry to bump this with my problems again. I've just tried the pingtest.net application and I failed the packet loss test. I can send packets but I cannot receive them. What steps should I take to remedy this?

Check Windows Firewall, and do a test disabling it.

Jijidasu

Cheers again. I think I may have forgotten to restart Chrome as I now have 0% packet loss.

I'm in the process of downloading the patches again from the FTP mirror I'm using for a fresh install. I'll update with how it goes and if I've found anything out.

Jijidasu

And an update; still no go. Logging in straight to R:0.

I'm honestly out of ideas. I suppose I'll wait for the next patch if there's no other options. It seems that on the official forums there are a number of people suffering the same problem, too.

Gromph

Staff Member
And an update; still no go. Logging in straight to R:0.

I'm honestly out of ideas. I suppose I'll wait for the next patch if there's no other options. It seems that on the official forums there are a number of people suffering the same problem, too.

Do you have cable modem? try to plug your pc directly to it and see if the problem is your router.

Munba

It's a general problem for many people now and it seems the problem is occurring in certain periods of the day. Hope SE is going to analyze this problem soon..

Jinko

It seems SE have been experimenting, alot of people have been suffering drop outs and disconnects.

Not sure how they could really do that.

And, really, the system is already kind of like the FFT job system. Instead of just Squire and Chemist, classes are all the basics that turn into the more advanced Jobs.

Yea the job system is, makes you wonder why they even kept the class system/armory besides to stop the rage OMGZ posts.

Like I say though wishful thinking.

Jinko

According to Japanese post its possible to switch one player to DoL/DoH after entering the Ifrit fight and using wrist flick to stun him :O lol

I thought they fixed this on bosses, but I guess not.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
According to Japanese post its possible to switch one player to DoL/DoH after entering the Ifrit fight and using wrist flick to stun him :O lol

I thought they fixed this on bosses, but I guess not.

Yep, still works. It makes for some hilarious boss battles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom