• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ravidrath

I'm looking forward to the new class info next week - should be pretty meaty.

Any ideas on what they should do with Guild Marks?

I'm not sure they should eliminate the system, but it definitely needs an overhaul and more useful abilities to buy with it. Some exclusive gear would be good, too, I think.

Jinko

Company marks have kind of replaced them, so I see little point keeping them, It's not like I worked hard for the ones I have either so I can't say I will miss them.

Ravidrath

Jinko said:
Company marks have kind of replaced them, so I see little point keeping them, It's not like I worked hard for the ones I have either so I can't say I will miss them.

Well, right now GM are a way to learn abilities, and I don't think it'd make sense to learn new class abilities from GC.

Although it could be cool if there were some GC-abilities that any class could use that somehow related to the character of the Grand Company... like party buffs or something.

Allard

Ravidrath said:
Well, right now GM are a way to learn abilities, and I don't think it'd make sense to learn new class abilities from GC.

Although it could be cool if there were some GC-abilities that any class could use that somehow related to the character of the Grand Company... like party buffs or something.

The interview that got translated by Reinhart clarified this. They moving all the abilities learned from Guild Marks to stuff you learn automatically. It sounds like the removal of the Guild Marks is all but a done deal and they are just discussing how to reimburse people for the stuff they have already gathered. They mentioned maybe putting out a poll on how the marks will reimburse players.

Also the newest translation makes it seem like a wyvern pet is NOT coming to Dragoon, at least nothing like FFXI as he doesn't want to upset the balance that he wants the Dragoon to represent, but he is thinking about a way to appease the players that want the pet. One way is that with Dragoons embodying the powers of a dragon, that a pet can be summoned or aid in specific abilities and would just appear during them. Like jump and a wyvern comes out while you are in the air and does a breath attack. This way its not a pet class, but the pet would be there for the character of the job and its abilities. Maybe make getting the pet in a quest, and suddenly some abilities change attributes or something (this is what I got from that observation, not what he said).

And yeah looks like Daggers are going to be removed so a possible THF class can come later. Awesome :) Glad he isn't against changing some of the diehard elements of the armory to fit expansion, always seemed stupid to have daggers on gladiator as it just makes it hard for other classes that were known for dagger wielding to use it.

Also there are no plans for level cap removal till after 1.21, but he isn't out right saying no to it happening before 2.0. He is going to judge what to do based on the build up leading into 2.0.

On a side note its nice to see a different side of Wada, he has quite a hardy laugh heh

Jinko

Think I will be taking a break from the game until 1.20, nothing much to do in game now besides Ifrit and time zones bleh bleh bleh etc..

zzzz

I'm guna go see if I can get my hand on Skyrim tomorrow :p

Allard

Jinko said:
Think I will be taking a break from the game until 1.20, nothing much to do in game now besides Ifrit and time zones bleh bleh bleh etc..

zzzz

Been busy myself playing Uncharted 3, finished it in two days on hard so I might be back to playing this weekend. I want to get my miner to lvl 50 and a crafting class to lvl 50 before 1.20. I have no intention of leveling a combat class beyond lvl 30 till 1.20 and maybe in even 1.21 because I really want to play into the new jobs and the ability reshuffling, don't want to get used to one way and know its going to be useless come a month from now. Plus I was always planning to be a crafter and gatherer even before beta released, my top class is miner right now lol, followed by Goldsmither. I may not be ready for all the combat content but I certainly will be ready around 2.0 for player housing! When jobs are released I will make it a goal to get that one class to lvl 50 and just keep it there and not worry about the others, keep battle content fresh for exploring when 2.0 comes out.

Speaking of housing, that brings up something else about the recent interview. He went in more in-depth on what to expect with housing and it seems as good as I could ever have hoped for and more. A real house, complete with gardening, upgrading the house, changing parts of the house after its made and so much more. If there is one advantage to playing till 2.0 comes out, it will be to have both a gil and level advantage for when the plots of land are released, I want a good pick of what I want if they keep it non-instanced as advertised :)

Munba

Jinko said:

F: Q: alright moving to next question, this one is also from the forums; this one is regarding the housing. What kind of system will it be?
Y: First off for housing to have a house, it doesn’t mean just having a room alone, but this time having the outside with a yard and say for example for free company having a company emblem and putting up a tapestry outside the house with that emblem. Change the roof, change the material of the building structure, change the fence, and be able to have a farm in the yard to grow plants such as githar plant for Chocobo, or have chocobo stable to raise chocobo and such.
Also say a fight class takes down a boss monster and brings back the material and the crafter uses that to make trophy to display in the house. Once 2.0 starts we will updating this a lot so for specially for Gatherer and Crafters please look forward to this one.

Love the sound of this. I'm waiting since the release..

Jinko said:

zzzz

That leaked first 23 minutes of Skyrim video has really soured me on the whole thing. It really does look like they learned nothing from Oblivion. I'll be waiting for the GOTY version next year with the included DLC and all the stupid parts fixed by community add-ons.

Jinko

Unknown Soldier said:
That leaked first 23 minutes of Skyrim video has really soured me on the whole thing. It really does look like they learned nothing from Oblivion. I'll be waiting for the GOTY version next year with the included DLC and all the stupid parts fixed by community add-ons.

Oh I have not looked at any video really, hmm if its that bad what is the link ? ;.;

jiggle

2itoow3.jpg

okssc0.jpg

296iumc.jpg

is my gfx card dead? :<
heat seems normal
tried changing settings and resolutions. rebooting, using restore points
even reinstalled the entire game

doesn't seem to affect videos/pictures though
gonna try reinstallying/updating driver now

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Enjoy amazon deal.

Final Fantasy XIV Online (PS3) - PlayStation 3
Buy new: £7.81
Available for pre-order
Eligible for FREE Super Saver Delivery and 1 more promotion
PEGI Rating: Unknown

Jinko

Munba said:
..never saw it. You lie! :p

It's true, you could only buy Crysta with paypal, but from what I gather this is what they are doing with the US now.

I didn't use it because you still have to buy more Crysta than the subscription cost and click and buy ain't as bad as everyone makes out.

Munba

I see. Dunno why i never saw that option until now lol
Hope they will add an option without buying crysta but subscription directly though.

jiggle

luckilyy black friday is right around the corner!
i need a break from the game anyway
hopefully back in time for moogle

I bought Crysta as well to avoid ClickandScam, but I think they are adding direct payments with Paypal now instead of that Crysta nonsense. Crysta was so stupid to begin with. If they implement half-price subs I'll probably stay, $5-7 is a pretty sweet spot.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I've got a few questions.

Has this game greatly improved since beta, particularly performance/UI responsiveness-wise?

Are there language settings? More importantly, is there any way to easily get the Japanese client (text appears in Japan, ability to type in Japanese) from the US?

Lastly, is there a digital download option for this?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Zefah said:
I've got a few questions.

Has this game greatly improved since beta, particularly performance/UI responsiveness-wise?
Greatly improved, but it still sucks, which says a lot about how bad it used to be.

Zefah said:
Are there language settings? More importantly, is there any way to easily get the Japanese client (text appears in Japan, ability to type in Japanese) from the US?
You can choose the language in the config. The game is compatible with IME.

Zefah said:
Lastly, is there a digital download option for this?
Not an official one, no.

Mature

Rentahamster said:
Greatly improved, but it still sucks, which says a lot about how bad it used to be.
Would you say there's something to be said about the (two notable) upcoming patches and how much they will further the game towards being "good"? I feel like talking to ANYONE about the state of this game is a delicate balance of reality coupled with cautious optimism, haha.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Mature said:
Would you say there's something to be said about the (two notable) upcoming patches and how much they will further the game towards being "good"? I feel like talking to ANYONE about the state of this game is a delicate balance of reality coupled with cautious optimism, haha.
Patch 1.18 in July, and the new patch 1.19 last month really gives legitimacy to the notion that the dev team is actually trying to make a good game. I can see a positive trendline in improvement. Based on what they've delivered so far, I can only see the quality going up.

Unfortunately, they won't be fixing the server lag, UI lag, and the bad UI itself until the release of 2.0, which is not for another year. I really can't see how they justify the full price when there are major flaws still present in the system.

That's why they are talking about charging less right now. I would stay for $5-7 a month.

You should have come with us, Rentai. The party I started ended up lasting roughly 10 hours with breaks in between. We killed Ifrit 16 times during that period. Everyone in that party got at least 1 weapon drop, most got 2-3, except for poor Shiori who somehow managed to stay the entire party and not get a single drop.

I'm going to sleep now but I'm planning on running another Ifrit party when I wake up. If you want to kill the fucking hell out of Ifrit you should join my party, lol.

Jinko

Think the game is getting there slowly but as Renta said the Server and UI lag is still a bit of an issue although nowhere near as bad.

1.20 (Dec) will be the turning point I think, party search and marketward search, plus retuning of the skills and moogle fight.

1.21 (Feb) we get Jobs and 2 new instances. (then its just 7 months til 2.0 lol)

1.22 and on is where I see a problem, they have yet to hint at what they plan to do after 1.21, im guessing it will be mostly content to do with the destruction of old Erozea but hard to say how good this will be, obviously they have Garuda planned aswell.

Unknown Soldier said:
That's why they are talking about charging less right now. I would stay for $5-7 a month.

You should have come with us, Rentai. The party I started ended up lasting roughly 10 hours with breaks in between. We killed Ifrit 16 times during that period. Everyone in that party got at least 1 weapon drop, most got 2-3, except for poor Shiori who somehow managed to stay the entire party and not get a single drop.

I'm going to sleep now but I'm planning on running another Ifrit party when I wake up. If you want to kill the fucking hell out of Ifrit you should join my party, lol.

Haha, this sounds awesome (except for Shiori).

Forbiden

I got a question for those who have done ifrit here. Is it viable to do the fight with a Gladiator tank? Most of the videos and "guides" ive seen talk about doimg it with a Marauder tank, but gladiator is my only class at 50 and im unsure as to weather it can be done with gladiator or not.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Forbiden said:
I got a question for those who have done ifrit here. Is it viable to do the fight with a Gladiator tank? Most of the videos and "guides" ive seen talk about doimg it with a Marauder tank, but gladiator is my only class at 50 and im unsure as to weather it can be done with gladiator or not.
Gladiator is fine. Just make sure you have taunt, defender, warmonger, accomplice, diversion, featherfoot, too

Forbiden

So basically id have to level pugilist. my pug is at level 12 right now so i guess ill work on getting that stuff before i continue leveling my lancer. Thanks for the info!

Edit: wait isnt featherfoot pugilist exclusive? Either way i guess its time to start leveling my other classes to 30

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Forbiden said:
So basically id have to level pugilist. my pug is at level 12 right now so i guess ill work on getting that stuff before i continue leveling my lancer. Thanks for the info!

Edit: wait isnt featherfoot pugilist exclusive? Either way i guess its time to start leveling my other classes to 30
featherfoot isn't pgl exclusive.

As long as you have taunt, warmonger, and accomplice (especially accomplice), you'll be ok on hate.

The native gla and shield skills should give you enough defense.

Defender is nice to have.

Cure III would be useful too.

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Gladiator is fine. Just make sure you have taunt, defender, warmonger, accomplice, diversion, featherfoot, too

LOL

If you stop to think how many jobs you have to level to get all those skills you realise just how stupid this armory system (this game) is.

Tanaka and his stupid ideas.

Hopefully being Paladin will cut that PGL shit out and half of the MRD stuff aswell, yay for Yoshi-p

Eccocid

He hoo!
I quit the game so if u need space on LS feel free to kick me out.

Dark Souls came and FF XIV is so focused on crafting i don't have time for that. Also deleted windows partition on my mac. So won't be coming back till ps3 version i guess.

Ashuron

Eccocid said:
He hoo!

Dark Souls came and FF XIV is so focused on crafting i don't have time for that. Also deleted windows partition on my mac. So won't be coming back till ps3 version i guess.

I'm pretty sure you need to be logged in to be removed from the LS.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
LOL

If you stop to think how many jobs you have to level to get all those skills you realise just how stupid this armory system (this game) is.

Tanaka and his stupid ideas.

Hopefully being Paladin will cut that PGL shit out and half of the MRD stuff aswell, yay for Yoshi-p
Those skills aren't necessary, per se, just recommended if you want an easier time.

Eccocid said:
He hoo!

You have to drop the pearl yourself, or I have to be in the same area as you to kick you out. It's impossible to boot someone who is not logged in.

Jinko

So I been playing Vindictus this week, first time since I tried it back in beta and the marketplace/AH in this game is one of the best I have seen in an MMO, love the way they have done the price history, wish Yoshi would copy and paste that UI and price history into FFXIV lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'm considering logging back in and trying to level ARC and such again. I LOVE tanking, but I feel like there are probably more than enough tanks out there right now (or maybe that tanking in FFXIV probably isn't as important as it is in other games). On top of that, I'd be starting from level 1 with no gear on MAR or GLA. Is anyone still low level enough to join the fun of leveling/power leveling? I want to enjoy some of the later stuff, but it just feels SOOO slow. -_-

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
nicoga3000 said:
I'm considering logging back in and trying to level ARC and such again. I LOVE tanking, but I feel like there are probably more than enough tanks out there right now (or maybe that tanking in FFXIV probably isn't as important as it is in other games). On top of that, I'd be starting from level 1 with no gear on MAR or GLA. Is anyone still low level enough to join the fun of leveling/power leveling? I want to enjoy some of the later stuff, but it just feels SOOO slow. -_-
It's a lot faster now. Don't level arc, it sucks now.

Why are you starting over? Just use your old char.

Cmagus

Rentahamster said:
It's a lot faster now. Don't level arc, it sucks now.

Why are you starting over? Just use your old char.

Yep can 50 a class in a week no problem now. Also agreed that ARC sucks don't bother it is useless and no one is gonna invite you to any parties for any of the fun stuff plus the timers on all the ARC attacks blow it's like watching paint dry.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I worded that wrong...I have ONLY leveled ARC with a few random crafting/gathering jobs. I really don't find crafting that much fun right now since I have NO idea where to get any of the ingredients and storage space is a problem.

And what I meant is that I'd be at level 1 for my other jobs. What's the status of tanking classes? Is it a popular job? Would there be use/is there use for a tank archetype?

E: And what happened to ARC? I thought it was a pretty respectable class not long ago? :( I enjoyed it for what it was worth I guess...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom