• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

I duno why they made a joke of the weapon, they could have done it so it looked much better, pug and arc weapons looked like they just didn't care less.

GLA, CON and THM look pretty nice imo.

I mean they could have made moogleskin cesti which would have been much better >.>

I just bought the game off of Amazon for 10$. Anyone have tips for a beginner (only played WoW and GW), and where is a really good community site?

Mature

Yay, I finally have good internet which means I can finally play this game again instead of just talk about it.

I'm also starting over on Lindblum now so I can hopefully join the gaf LS eventually. Look out for me as Vice Winter, the CON Lalafell. =]

Jinko

I just bought the game off of Amazon for 10$. Anyone have tips for a beginner (only played WoW and GW), and where is a really good community site?

See if someone can give you a linkshell invite and just ask in there, its pretty straight forward if you have played MMO's before although somewhat more covoulted than the norm lol.

Community sucks so um ... offical forums i guess.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Will do. Also, I have friend who reads this thread who would like to join as well. That is to say it's not limited to only members of gaf or something.

But your friend is not a member of GAF? We have non-gaf people in the LS, but for the most part we try to keep new members gaf-only and IRL friends (since there is a higher likelihood of them being a good person and a lower likelihood that they would cause trouble, and also because we are nearing the maximum cap of people we can invite.)

If you know this person well and can vouch for his/her being a good and respectful player, and if you guys are planning on playing a lot together anyway, then that's fine.

If you guys decide to no play anymore, or won't log on for a while, please drop your pearl before doing so to free up space.

Mature

If you know this person well and can vouch for his/her being a good and respectful player, and if you guys are planning on playing a lot together anyway, then that's fine.
Yeah, he's a good friend irl and can vouch for him.

Does anyone use only keyboard controls? I started doing it for no particular reason and it felt natural. Kinda weird since 99% of the time I prefer using a mouse.

N.A

Banned
Got the game yesterday for £6. Enjoying it so far and it's one of the nicest looking games I've ever played. It feels great too using a PS3 controller.

I'd love to join the GAF LS (I'm on Lindblum). My name is Kida Amnesiac. Do I have to do anything in game?

Does anyone use only keyboard controls? I started doing it for no particular reason and it felt natural. Kinda weird since 99% of the time I prefer using a mouse.

Targeting anything is terrible with the mouse but it's probably worse with the keyboard.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I further refined the LS website design with a custom stylesheet hacked into the HTML module. Didn't realize that Guildwork was so hard to customize. That explains why most of the other guild websites over there look like ass.

http://reddot.guildwork.com/

I also added a new player guide, as well as a gathering class guide.

I used keyboard only in FFXI and it worked great though I typically prefer using Keyboard and Mouse. I couldn't use Keyboard only in FFXIV nor could I use a combination of keyboard and mouse. Camera controls and targeting were probably my biggest issues. It felt unplayable to me but maybe some patches have changed it since then.

Mature

It's gotten better with the new targeting modes where left and right on the dpad selects enemies, and up/down selects party members. Of course, you need to use a controller, though...
Yeah, sounds like I'd be better off with a controller maybe. Has anyone tried the FFXIV controller?

mileS

If you don't play with a controller the movement and camera is extremely jittery/choppy/stutter crazy anyway. Really sucks.

Rawk Hawk

Yeah, sounds like I'd be better off with a controller maybe. Has anyone tried the FFXIV controller?
The Snakebyte one? Friend of mine got it and said it worked fine. It can blue screen the PC though, so he had to find drivers online for it, for some reason the default ones screwed everything up.

When I played, I used a wired 360 controller and that worked fine as well.

Allard

The Snakebyte one? Friend of mine got it and said it worked fine. It can blue screen the PC though, so he had to find drivers online for it, for some reason the default ones screwed everything up.

When I played, I used a wired 360 controller and that worked fine as well.

I use the logitech controllers as they are the ones closest to a PS3 controller. Works perfectly for me, can't play the game unless I have it in fact (Which shouldn't be the case, but hey its getting remedied in 2.0 at least, more then I thought they were going to do till Yoshida came on board). I use a custom button format for it that works for me. R1 for lock on, L3 for passive/action stance, X for select/confirm, circle for deselect, triangle for main menu, start for micro/emote menu, square for UI prompt (Select the buffs etc.) L1-2 for alt and Ctrl Macros, R2 for auto run and the obvious movement sticks and D-bad usage. I think I will mix it up a bit when they add jump in but I'm comfortable with it that way for now.

Allard

FFXIV billing goes live on January 6th.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/fees1112jklasdwryopemeopw.html

Discounted price till 2.0 (approximately 3 less across the board) still 3 dollars per character so if you got multiple characters the discount won't seem as much. Also offering 3 and 6 month price discounts. so 6.99 instead of 9.99, and then 3 dollars after for your main character or an additional 3 dollars for each after. So 9.99 a month minimum till 2.0. At that point the subscription price will be evaluated.

Also they are reintroducing the FFXI dual subscriber discount, but its only for 3 months. FFXI goes from 12.99 to 6.99 during that discount.

Teknoman

180 days $4.99 (total $29.94)
Character Fee 30 days $3.00/character

So technically I guess its about 8 bucks a month if you plunk down for the highest amount?

Cmagus

I wish you could have one extra free character most MMO allow you to have that. RIP puddings time to put that character out to the pasture. Still price is fine I guess rather not buy 180 days at a time myself so I guess i'll go monthly.

Having troubles setting up sli on this game. Can anyone give some pointers?

I run GTX 470 SLI, so I can tell you a few things I've discovered:

This game is massively, hugely, mind-bogglingly CPU-bound. Unless you're running Core i7-3000 series (Sandy Bridge) OCed to 5ghz and your resolution is 2560 x 1440 or something ridiculous, your benefit from SLI will be very small. Most of the time your CPU will be bottlenecking the video cards and a you'll be at 50% utilization on both GPUs.

The default SLI profile basically works to enable SLI and not make it slower than a single card. Beyond that it doesn't do a whole hell of lot due to see above. However attempting a custom SLI profile will generally fuck things up and might even make the client crash. Leave this game alone with Nvidia Inspector, you'll only make it worse. Believe me, I fucked around a lot with it during the launch period when there wasn't an official SLI profile, none of the unofficial profiles I tried worked any better than Nvidia's official one.

The game client has an awesome feature where it crashes if it loses focus while in Fullscreen mode. For this reason I use Windower XIV. However, while SLI works in Windowed modes (unlike Crossfire), the performance benefit is much smaller than a proper Fullscreen mode. Combine that with the already small benefit due to see above, and oh well.

SLI doesn't have any benefit for the big post-processing options (Depth of Field, Ambient Occlusion) because those are all done by the CPU. The client was built with PS3 in mind from the beginning, which is kind of hilarious now after everything that's happened but oh well. So you'll crush your framerate even with massively OCed GTX 580 SLI 3GB cards if you enable DoF and AO. I leave DoF on but turn AO off, as the AO in this game isn't even that good. I don't even think it's SSAO or anything cool like that.

If you turn General Drawing Quality higher than 8, you are rendering higher than native resolution, i.e. supersampling. This is the same way to destroy your performance that is offered to you in The Witcher 2, don't let them give you the rope to hang yourself with! Leave General Drawing Quality at 8, but max everything else!

If you use 16xQ CSAA or 16x CSAA, you get weird rendering errors in all the game's trees. This bug has been present since beta and will probably never be fixed. If you use 8x MSAA the problem goes away but the edges aren't as smooth. I haven't tested forcing FXAA yet as added in the new 295 series drivers. Again, since this game is heavily CPU-bound, there's no reason to give your GPUs less to do with FXAA, so just use MSAA/CSAA and call it a day.

I leave SLI on because it's a hassle to turn it off but realistically I see essentially no meaningful performance benefit with Core i7-950 (Bloomfield) OCed to 4.01ghz and GTX 470 SLI. Well, Skyrim and Crysis are fabulous with SLI so it isn't a waste or anything but FFXIV just doesn't benefit.

Why do you troll those poor children in the official forums?

Sofo

As a person who played late-betas as well as at the time of release, how much better has the game gotten? I must admit the new price is tempting, and I'd enjoy it if it was similar to FFXI, since I enjoyed it for lots of years.

Thanks for the input, much appreciated!

As a person who played late-betas as well as at the time of release, how much better has the game gotten?

yb76k.jpg

Still has a way to go, but it is undoubtedly much improved in all aspects.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
But it still isn't at a launch state for any MMO since 2004 (I'd say even Hellgate offered more, and that game was abysmal).

I want to check out the changes after the next patch but it is likely that I will cancel until FFXIV 2.0, once I'm done. What is FFXIV's character retention/deletion policy? If I cancel my subscription, will everything remain intact if I reactivate several months later or do I have to keep paying the character fee or something? I seem to recall Square deleting your character after some time with FFXI, although they could always be magically recovered during Square's welcome back campaigns.

Allard

I want to check out the changes after the next patch but it is likely that I will cancel until FFXIV 2.0, once I'm done. What is FFXIV's character retention/deletion policy? If I cancel my subscription, will everything remain intact if I reactivate several months later or do I have to keep paying the character fee or something? I seem to recall Square deleting your character after some time with FFXI, although they could always be magically recovered during Square's welcome back campaigns.

They have since changed that policy. Yoshida said that even if you don't play again till 2.0, they will migrate the character over to the 2.0 client so it will be waiting for you. In fact he recognizes that now that 2.0 has been announced there will be lots of people who won't play till it comes out so he made sure your character will be waiting for you when you return.

Dec 14th is a really problematic date to release the new patch though, talk about horrible timing. SWTOR releases the next day for a lot of people, I know I'm going to play that for a while, meh I'll just cancel my WoW account, I know ill be playing SWTOR over WoW anyways. Depending on how good PC search and the AH system works I will pay in January, hell I might anyways and just get the 6 month version. 27 dollar initial and then 3 dollars after that each month is hardly going to destroy my bank.

They have since changed that policy. Yoshida said that even if you don't play again till 2.0, they will migrate the character over to the 2.0 client so it will be waiting for you. In fact he recognizes that now that 2.0 has been announced there will be lots of people who won't play till it comes out so he made sure your character will be waiting for you when you return.

Looks like I should be good then. Thanks!

Jinko

Personally I would suggest holding off til 1.21 when they add jobs.

Although I said I was guna pay for this game, I have lost interest in it again, we'll see if 1.20 will suck me back in or not.

Teknoman

Yay:

As we move forward, we'll be looking into implementing both a level sync system and easing up on the level restrictions on instanced raids. Currently however, we don't have any plans to ease up on these restrictions, but we'll be sure to take feedback like this into account as we make adjustments.

Oh and on the official forums, do you have to select "Do not use avatar" if you want your character to be displayed?

Allard

Personally I would suggest holding off til 1.21 when they add jobs.

Although I said I was guna pay for this game, I have lost interest in it again, we'll see if 1.20 will suck me back in or not.

I'm kind of the same way, but that's fine though, I got other things I can do in the mean time. If you want the game to succeed the worst thing you can do is get burnt out during these pre 2.0 updates. Come and go when it suits. There are two wild cards in 1.20 that could keep me around till the real content update happens in February (Jobs, Hamlet defense, company promotions and 2 new raids in Feb). The nature of the achievement system, and just how much this update will expand the seventh umbral era storyline. Looking back on it we really haven't gotten very much on the era other then the company update in 1.19 where we got a bunch of new cut scenes dedicated to the struggle escalating to full on conflict. Be interesting to see where it turns too now things have finally begin to swing into motion.

I still have a bunch of Crysta in my account from launch but I might save it and spend it on a month-to-month basis on big patch months. I'll probably play 1.20 until Jan. 6th, go on hiatus until 1.21, re-activate and play for a month, then wait for the next patch, etc. until 2.0 drops.

I have a ridiculous game haul from Black Friday anyways, somehow I managed to buy 8 games without even realizing it and I need to work through them, and play Skyrim. Sigh.

Allard

A new survey will be released sometime after 1.20 (Yoshida guestimates mid January) and it will ask question about where the players want to take the game for future priorities. One of the questions that will be asked (He sampled) will be the priority players feel is needed in classes.

Scout (Thief Class etc.)
Caster (Ranged DD, Debuff)
Pet Class (Pet User, Debuff)

Also we finally got translation of the patch release date and the 2.0 retainer info. Some of it is good news, but the notice on payment for retainers in 2.0 is bit unfortunate. Hopefully we still get 1 free with an active account like it was designed initially.

Hello! This is Producer/Director Yoshida.

We have pretty much solidified the date for the release of patch 1.20 for 12/14, but we are still continuing to make final adjustments and stamp out bugs, and I think we should be able to finalize this around tomorrow night. (As long as no critically huge bugs pop up.) Please wait just a bit longer for us to announce a firm date.

In regards to the billing announcement, since the US and Europe have legal time frames to keep in consideration, I’m afraid this had to be done around the patch notes release.

Also, in regards to retainers, for 2.0 the system will change and we intend to make it so it will not be the character that is given the retainer, but the user's account itself. (Purchased retainers will be usable with any character under the account. Item transfer is a separate problem though.)

Due to the fact that a lot of confusion could arise if we started to charge for retainers now, we decided to hold off on charging for retainers for the moment.

Would be really awesome (if some how you had multiple characters) to make it so you can hold items on a retainer and transfer them among your characters that way like an account storage.

Jinko

That retainer news is good isn't it ?

Doesn't that suggest that you could share storage across two characters ?

I'm a bit disappointed that they are asking players which class they want, especially with what he said in interviews about making a 3rd caster a priority, you just know a pet class will be the highest voted.

Allard

That retainer news is good isn't it ?

Doesn't that suggest that you could share storage across two characters ?

I'm a bit disappointed that they are asking players which class they want, especially with what he said in interviews about making a 3rd caster a priority, you just know a pet class will be the highest voted.

He actually said that he wanted to gauge the interest of the general population on what they wanted to see most. Right after he gave those three possible answers, he basically said "I will take your interests to mind, but in the end if I think something needs to come first for balancing, I will." Its a thermometer dip basically.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom