• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does Squenix really not understand the point of Achievements and Trophies at such a fundamental level?

There are a lot of simple-looking quality-of-life changes that are allegedly being held back by the way the (terrible)server/client structure handles information. Not really surprising to see this being one of them.

So I should be receiving this today (grabbed it when it was $9.99 and since its F2P until the 6th) where is everybody on GAF playing? I know there's a LS on a certain server, and is that server pretty populated?

Question about classes as well: I was looking into the Thaumaturge because it looked like they solo really well and the debuffs / heals make them a viable end game class, is this still the case? I'm leaning towards caster oriented but I don't want to be a full blown healer (i'm assuming that's what Conjurer is).

Also, will I be able to max it in 1080p? Running:

Phenom II x4 945 3 gigs
8gb ddr3
GTX 570

You should be able to run it OK, but you probably won't be able to put too many fancy settings on @1080p. CPU is a massive bottleneck for this game and I don't think anything AMD offers right now can really open that up (unless maybe it's mad overclocked, IDK).

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
We're on Lindblum server.

You know, we should really update the OP with new info. What happened to demosthenes, lol.

Just looked at the OP of this thread. All the pics are gone because of tinypic :(

Allard

So I should be receiving this today (grabbed it when it was $9.99 and since its F2P until the 6th) where is everybody on GAF playing? I know there's a LS on a certain server, and is that server pretty populated?

Question about classes as well: I was looking into the Thaumaturge because it looked like they solo really well and the debuffs / heals make them a viable end game class, is this still the case? I'm leaning towards caster oriented but I don't want to be a full blown healer (i'm assuming that's what Conjurer is).

Also, will I be able to max it in 1080p? Running:

Phenom II x4 945 3 gigs
8gb ddr3
GTX 570

I run the game at 20-30 FPS on HD 5650M using a laptop, it has a an I5 2.53 GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM, you should be fine to run it :p, the main bottleneck will be your CPU, but that is because of how CPU dependant this game can be, don't expect it to run all features without slow down, especially Ambient Occlusion and maybe Depth of Field (Of which the game can actually look better sometimes with it off anyways).

As for Tham, they are changing the class to be a pure nuking class, no more debuffs or heals unfortunately, these changes go live with the next patch coming next week. You want a healer you need to go Conjuror. As for debuffer... that is surprisingly one of the big ommisions from the class roster, after the combat action overhaul there won't be a specific class that has decent CCing abilities or mob debuffing. In the future I am sure this will be remedied when they finally add a 3rd mage class into the game (It is the main priority of the director currently as far as new class releases go).

Anyways its nice to finally get some info on Achievements but I hope a decent amount of them are retroactive. I would hate to have to do those mining goals after I am nearly lvl 50 on it. They were already doing 'history' achievements so hopefully they can pool that information and allow us to get stuff we already did before. Doesn't matter though as I will aim to get that Disciple of the land title :). I already got botanist to lvl 32, I got 99 leves waiting for me and I just need to work on fishing.

We're on Lindblum server.

You know, we should really update the OP with new info. What happened to demosthenes, lol.

Just looked at the OP of this thread. All the pics are gone because of tinypic :(

Great, thanks! Will start on there then. Who should I message regarding an invite?

Allard said:
I run the game at 20-30 FPS on HD 5650M using a laptop, it has a an I5 2.53 GHz processor with 2 GB of RAM, you should be fine to run it :p, the main bottleneck will be your CPU, but that is because of how CPU dependant this game can be, don't expect it to run all features without slow down, especially Ambient Occlusion and maybe Depth of Field (Of which the game can actually look better sometimes with it off anyways).

As for Tham, they are changing the class to be a pure nuking class, no more debuffs or heals unfortunately, these changes go live with the next patch coming next week. You want a healer you need to go Conjuror. As for debuffer... that is surprisingly one of the big ommisions from the class roster, after the combat action overhaul there won't be a specific class that has decent CCing abilities or mob debuffing. In the future I am sure this will be remedied when they finally add a 3rd mage class into the game (It is the main priority of the director currently as far as new class releases go).

Anyways its nice to finally get some info on Achievements but I hope a decent amount of them are retroactive. I would hate to have to do those mining goals after I am nearly lvl 50 on it. They were already doing 'history' achievements so hopefully they can pool that information and allow us to get stuff we already did before. Doesn't matter though as I will aim to get that Disciple of the land title :). I already got botanist to lvl 32, I got 99 leves waiting for me and I just need to work on fishing.

I didn't plan on maxing out everything, the things you mentioned I'm sure I'd turn down, I was more interested in running it at 1080p with textures set to max, which is looking good :)

That's interesting to hear about the Tham....hmmmm, maybe I'll still go with that class considering I never play nuking classes in MMO's. Are there any other classes that are currently and will be great soloer's / DPS classes in the current and upcoming patch?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Okay, GAF, I know that most of you already said to hell with this game, but I need a headcount for the upcoming content to see who is still interested.

Do you want to tackle the new endgame content next week? Do you have the desire? Do you have the time? Do you have the skill?

I made an organizational thread on the new LS site to try to get a consensus on this. It's a members only forum so if you can't read it then get an account.

http://reddot.guildwork.com/forum/t...for-120-what-do-you-want-to-do-please-respond

Do you have the time and desire to be one of the server first to complete the content? We've done it before, but with so many of you quitting, I need to know if there's even enough of you left to bother trying.

Even if you think you don't have the levels or skills needed, please add your input. Levels are fast to come by now so if you have the desire, there's still time to prep.

Allard

I wonder how good the achievement equip is. If the miner pick for instance is better then everything that doesn't have 5 melded materia on it, it could be 'something' worth looking into... even if the achievement for it looks grindy as fuck (but then again... grinding is quite literally all you do for miner >.>)

Teknoman

Going to try to get back in today, but as far as gaming goes i've just been doing small things since i've been really under the weather since Thanksgiving.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The crux of the matter is just that we hardly have anyone on nowadays. Is this a GAF LS or is it not? Do we reserve membership for such or do we not? Does anyone even care anymore?

I'm about to start playing again, no idea how long I'll stick with it though. Haven't played since January so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes. I didn't even hate the game when it first came out, just the total lack of content.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I'm about to start playing again, no idea how long I'll stick with it though. Haven't played since January so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes. I didn't even hate the game when it first came out, just the total lack of content.

What was your user name? I don't remember.

ZiZ

Okay, GAF, I know that most of you already said to hell with this game, but I need a headcount for the upcoming content to see who is still interested.

Do you want to tackle the new endgame content next week? Do you have the desire? Do you have the time? Do you have the skill?

I made an organizational thread on the new LS site to try to get a consensus on this. It's a members only forum so if you can't read it then get an account.

http://reddot.guildwork.com/forum/t...for-120-what-do-you-want-to-do-please-respond

Do you have the time and desire to be one of the server first to complete the content? We've done it before, but with so many of you quitting, I need to know if there's even enough of you left to bother trying.

Even if you think you don't have the levels or skills needed, please add your input. Levels are fast to come by now so if you have the desire, there's still time to prep.

I'm still gonna play. I've been busy with finals and other games these last few weeks, but I plan to stick with the game till 2.0.

I can't access the threads on http://reddot.guildwork.com/ I guess it's because I used Ziz as as my user instead of my in game name.

Teknoman

So...guess who got into the Diablo 3 beta. Looks like im going to be on my PC more than any other system for the holidays. Helps that other family members are RPG/Diablo fans too lol.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Im surprised at how fast you got everything to look as nice and shiny as it does ('_')b

It was kinda a bitch since Guildwork doesn't have support for customizable headers, which means I can't link to external style sheets for the CSS.

Then I figured out that you can insert a widget in the body and then just type up your own HTML and put the <style></style> in there.

The only problem with that is that it only works on the main page and any other secondary pages I make, so the areas of the site that don't allow custom HTML insertion (like the forum) get stuck with the default style.

That's why when you go to the forum, my pretty pseudo-overlay-popping-out-of-the-header background logo is most apparent and ugly.

But basically, once I figured out I can just hack the stylesheet into an HTML widget, I just analyzed the page source to see what each <div> and <class> was labeled and then styled the ones I wanted with custom CSS.

So...guess who got into the Diablo 3 beta. Looks like im going to be on my PC more than any other system for the holidays. Helps that other family members are RPG/Diablo fans too lol.

I'm going to kill you. I just thought I should at least give you fair warning. You can make a will or something.

Nakazato is on notice too. I'll kill Tek first so you got some time still Nakazato.

Allard

Well while you guys play D3, I'll play SWTOR next week :) (With a side of FFXIV lol)

FFXIV comprehensive dyeing recipe list overhaul added to the lodestone. Tons of new/changed recipes as a consequence. Looks like they added several colors to older gear too, that change should be interesting.

Teknoman

I'm going to kill you. I just thought I should at least give you fair warning. You can make a will or something.

Nakazato is on notice too. I'll kill Tek first so you got some time still Nakazato.

iLJrgtPrrlAKL.gif

Looks like weaver got the lion's share of new color combinations. They don't seem to list any stat variations for any of the armorcraft pieces, I wonder if that's an oversight or if the extra stats from dying things red now will be rolled into the regular gear come 1.20. Still sucks they didn't add more color options for the high level gear.

So I got about 40 mins with the game last night (between installation and all the updating) and I started a Thaumaturge (which I know will be moving to a fully 'nuke' class in the future, sad that I'll lose my HoT :( ) but anyways I got to about level 6 almost 7 in the 40 mins I played and thoroghly enjoyed it. I was a little disappointed with performance in town (I started in that area that's in the sky with all the bridges). On 1080p with Textures high, etc (I didn't turn on ambient collision or any of those) I got about 40 fps on average in town, sometimes hitting low 30's, out of town a solid 60...guess I shouldn't complain too much lol.

While on the topic of performance; I have dual monitors set up, is it best to disable the second one while playing? I remember reading something about that causing a user lower performance.

Game seems interesting, and using my 360 controller makes it all the more appealing. I'll contact one of the LS leaders tonight for an invite :)

Also, I made an account on the website under futtbuck and added my character Sir Futtbuck, do I need approval?

Jinko

Search feature looks about what I expected, glad they didn't go with FF11 style text commands.

Not so happy about the marketward search or lack of options.

Especially considering the new colour/stat system its guna be a pain to find what you want, still being able to buy from the search menu is good enough .. for now.

Teknoman

For those that cant access:

[dev1213] Player Search
* This feature, planned for patch 1.20, is still in development, and therefore subject to change.
The Player Search feature will be introduced in patch 1.20, and will function as follows:
&#8810;Search&#8811;
You will be able to search for other players by specifying online status, class(*1), level, location (area), Grand Company, and language(*2) search conditions.
*1. If a player’s online status is set to “Seeking a Party,” the feature will search by preferred class.
*2. The default language will be the same as that set under FINAL FANTASY XIV Config.

2069_0.jpg

* By default, only players within five levels of your current class level in a given area will be included in the search.

&#8810;Search Results&#8811;
The search results will display each player’s online status, name, current class, preferred class, location, Grand Company, and language.

2069_1.jpg

Player Details
Selecting a player from the search results will allow you to send a Tell, invite that player to your party, and view the following information:
Name
Language
Preferred Class and Level
Search Comment
Levels for each class
* The icon for the current class will be a different color.
Grand Company

2069_2.jpg

&#8810;Online Status Settings / Search Comments&#8811;
From Your Settings, you can to set your online status, preferred class, and search comment.
Your Settings
You can select your character’s online status using the pull-down menu. The available statuses are
None
In a Party
* Joining a party will automatically change your status to this.
Seeking a Party
* Additional online status options will be implemented on an ongoing basis.
* In patch 1.20, online statuses will only be displayed on the player search screen, but as of FINAL FANTASY XIV version 2.0, online statuses will also be displayed in players’ display names.

Search Comment
Enter or edit your search comment.
* The text length restrictions are the same as with chat.

Preferred Class
This can only be selected from the pull-down menu when your online status is set to “Seeking a Party.”

2069_3.jpg

Allard

Search feature looks about what I expected, glad they didn't go with FF11 style text commands.

Not so happy about the marketward search or lack of options.

Especially considering the new colour/stat system its guna be a pain to find what you want, still being able to buy from the search menu is good enough .. for now.

This 'party' search is how FFXI should have been, but this search is also gimped compared to FFXI in the same breath, if I am looking at those screens right, there is no actual "Player" search, you can't type the name of a character or a key set characters to look up people, you need to do it in the predefined regional, level range, class type, preferred class type, company or language range. There is no way to actually find a particular person. No 'sea all' or 'search b' for every player that starts with the letter b.

Hopefully that is coming soon or at minimum its in 2.0. This search will greatly help with assembling parties and other events but it doesn't actually help someone find a friend and find out where someone else is at which is one of the things I miss most about having player search. I want to look up people and find out where they are. (So I can be a stalker bwhahaha... kidding but its still a big issue.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom