• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did you try the tracert? At what junction does the problem occur? Does it reach all the way to SE's servers in Asia?

just tried it.

1 <1 ms <1 ms <1 ms sitecomwl611.sitecomwl611 [192.168.0.1]
2 1 ms 8 ms 1 ms 192.168.10.1
3 3 ms 3 ms 7 ms acac0001.ipt.aol.com [172.172.0.1]
4 4 ms 9 ms 8 ms 192.168.3.1
5 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
6 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
7 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
8 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
9 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
10 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
11 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
12 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
13 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
14 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
15 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
16 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
17 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
18 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
19 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
20 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
21 * * * Richiesta scaduta. (time out)
22 345 ms 437 ms 420 ms 202.67.52.81

Traccia completata. (Tracing Complete)

I guess I have some issues, don't I?

^O.O^;;

Any idea on what could be the problem? Just a very bad connection? ...thing is it was working ok untill a few days ago =((

EDIT: I might have a chance to get a better connection with another provider, but it is size-limited. I could have up to 500MB per day to use for a flat price. Would that be enough for playing a few hours a day?

thx-

Jinko

I had a friend who doesn't play FFXIV and naturally doesn't have an account go to the thread, download the page, and send it to me. lol

EDIT: As for my opinion on the patch it seems like another solid leap for the game. To be honest it is still bugs me that the game is becoming less unique/like the old game. However if they don't plan on designing the game around those mechanics, there is no reason to keep them around. (I wish someone out there would make that game, MMO or not.)

I don't know what to make of the class changes, but I'm eager to play with the combo system. Hopefully it adds the complexity the game needs in absence of AoE-centric combat.

What was so good about the old game anyway ?

Unique = death for most games.

So Gromph when you moving to Lindblum anyway ?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
EDIT: I might have a chance to get a better connection with another provider, but it is size-limited. I could have up to 500MB per day to use for a flat price. Would that be enough for playing a few hours a day?

That's more than enough for playing an online game. have you tried troubleshooting by trying to run FF14 at a friend's house or maybe a free public WiFi spot?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Yeah Gromph, c'mon to Lindblum. I would ask Buttons too, but I think he's far too invested where he is.

What about me? :D

ARC,MRD,GLA,PUG,THM,LNC,CUL,CRP,BTN,GSH 50.
CON 41, WVR42, ALC43, LTH,40

Gromph

Staff Member
Too bad about the crafting. You could get all your battle jobs PLed to 50 in a week with a determined effort, LOL.

Yeah, but It's seem YoshiP wanna get the patch out this week.

Also, datamined monk AF.

prw98h.jpg

That's more than enough for playing an online game. have you tried troubleshooting by trying to run FF14 at a friend's house or maybe a free public WiFi spot?

No wi-Fi spots where I live (a small town in southern Italy). Gotta try from a friend's house. Thx for the tips :)

EDIT: In love with Monk AF

:Q______

Yeah, but It's seem YoshiP wanna get the patch out this week.

Also, datamined monk AF.

prw98h.jpg

Nice. It doesn't look like the concept art for what everyone assumed was the Monk gear though (the dark knight looking gear with what looked like pugilist weapons on the side). Maybe they are preparing multiple sets for each job to have ready for the 1.21 patch?

Allard

Nice. It doesn't look like the concept art for what everyone assumed was the Monk gear though (the dark knight looking gear with what looked like pugilist weapons on the side). Maybe they are preparing multiple sets for each job to have ready for the 1.21 patch?

The dark knight looking gear is the Dragoon gear, this was always what it looked like in concept art :). Its nice to see the MNK gear in a properly lit environment, seeing it in a model viewer definitely didn't do it justice.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
You should try to make as many +1 items and mats as you can now, since after the patch, +1 is equivalent to the highest tier of item/mat

The dark knight looking gear is the Dragoon gear, this was always what it looked like in concept art :). Its nice to see the MNK gear in a properly lit environment, seeing it in a model viewer definitely didn't do it justice.

Really? It's been a while. Maybe I should level Lancer because that concept art was hot. Monk AF does look nice though.

Teknoman

I'm off tomorrow, so barring nothing crazy, I should be on...but unless level 40 Gladiators will be useful, I gotta gain 10 levels before then lol.

Allard

Screw their patch times, finishes at 1am, guna be a long night is it ? :(

Can't wait to get a reindeer outfit :O

What?

All Worlds Maintenance (Dec. 15)
At the following time, we will be performing maintenance on FINAL FANTASY XIV to implement patch 1.20. During this period, FINAL FANTASY XIV will be unavailable.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and thank you for your understanding.

* Clients will update automatically upon launch after release of the patch.

* Patch download rates may vary depending on server congestion.

* Comprehensive patch notes will be posted on the FINAL FANTASY XIV Forums the day of the patch's release.

[Date & Time]
Dec. 15, 2011 from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. (PST)

* The completion time may be subject to change.

[Affected Service]
- FINAL FANTASY XIV

Are you in GMT time?

Riposte

Fascinating how MMORPGs obsess over gigantic shoulder pads, but they all look like shit compared to this one armor set's pauldrons.

Riposte

What was so good about the old game anyway ?

Unique = death for most games.

So Gromph when you moving to Lindblum anyway ?

I don't care about MMORPGs and if they have mechanics which lead to their "death"(i.e. mechanics unpopular with general MMORPG fans, who I think have bad taste), I just like videogames and interesting mechanics. The "original plan of FFXIV", supposedly, had stuff that was underused in any context, not just different from the samey nature of MMORPGs. Poor execution made the difference negligible though. I was saying how it was pointless to carry that corpse around if they have no interest in doing it right, so it is smart for them to make something closer to vanilla MMORPG instead(YoshiP obviously knows how a vanilla MMORPG should work since he has played a lot of them).

Oops, that's not the edit button.

Hey guys, for someone who wants to play a MMO that isn't WoW untill Guild Wars 2/Diablo 3 come out, is FFXIV a good choice? Does it still have a reasonable amount of players?

I understand that billing begins Jan 6th. Do you guys expect a drop in players?

Jinko

Hey guys, for someone who wants to play a MMO that isn't WoW untill Guild Wars 2/Diablo 3 come out, is FFXIV a good choice? Does it still have a reasonable amount of players?

I understand that billing begins Jan 6th. Do you guys expect a drop in players?

Is it a good choice, Not really, there is some fun to be had but if you aren't used to akward game mechanics and dodgy text based menu systems then nope.

It hard to say how many will quit when it goes P2P, on one hand you could say that anyone left is a vetran and willing to pay or you could say most of those left are only playing becayse its free.

Gromph

Staff Member
Special Report: Ifrit Rising

Interesting.

[A Deathless Dilemma]
A handful of years ago, a Lominsan pirating crew called the Company of Heroes garnered great glory by vanquishing Leviathan and Titan, the primals of the Sahagin and the kobolds respectively. Before the season had turned, however, the two beast tribes were reported to have called forth their gods once more, neither of whom was any worse for the wear. Such is the conundrum confronted by those who seek to smite summoned beings.

Teknoman

So they even tied the fact that you can challenge Ifrit over and over into the universe? Thats kinda cool.

Waiting for official patch notes to go up, just in case there are any additions/retractions.

Ravidrath

So they even tied the fact that you can challenge Ifrit over and over into the universe? Thats kinda cool.

It makes sense for summons, so it could be that they're trying to make all the battles' repeatability work in the story.

I'm guessing whenever we fight Garlean generals and whatnot they'll also fall to one knee instead of "dying," too.

Allard

Can't wait till the patch, even if I don't even go on, hopefully the data mining can produce some cool results, I remember the stuff they found in 1.19 seemed pretty epic looking :O. (I need some entertainment at work damn it! Slow day in my world of IT :( )

Teknoman

lol yeah its crazy how sometimes I look forward to data mined results more than the patch contents themselves.

BTW:

Hi all, Producer/Director Yoshida here.

Here's an update regarding patch 1.20.
While preparing to release the patch, we have been checking some strange behavior in relation to the servers that we discovered yesterday, while also checking the overall stability. However, due to a memory-related issue there is a small possibility that the servers may crash.

Because of this, the ability to purchase items directly from the item search function which we had planned to implement will be masked on the server side temporarily.
The details of the situation will be posted up on the patch notes.

Patch 1.20 will be released on 12/16 (JST) as planned, but I apologize for having to mask one of the functions which we planned to have.

We will try to make it stable over the weekend as I really want everyone to have a great time playing it. So up until the beginning of next week we will push on with the tests, improve the situation, and carry out the fixes.

On the development side of things, they will continue tracing the memory issues and building patch 1.20a.

It will be in 1.20, just not running at optimal efficiency.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/32606

* We regret to inform you that the release of the feature allowing players to purchase items directly from the Item Search interface has been postponed. Selecting an item in the interface will bring up a purchase prompt; however, an error message will appear when you attempt to proceed with the transaction. We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

An announcement will be made in the near future regarding the new implementation date.

Allard

Well that's going to drive people nuts lol. Hopefully they can fix it soon. Reading through the patch notes not to see if there is any other major changes from last week, so far not seeing any.

Edit: They added in some new pictures and examples of the new features. There is an achievement when you get lvl 50 on all 7 combat classes and you get a fancy helm for your trouble. They also showed the new pop up help and changes to the micro menu.

Jinko

Lol that's ones of the biggest features for me this patch, marketward will forever be a thorn in this games side.

I still think they should completely scrap it and start from scratch and hope thats what they plan to do with 2.0.

Allard

Lol that's ones of the biggest features for me this patch, marketward will forever be a thorn in this games side.

I still think they should completely scrap it and start from scratch and hope thats what they plan to do with 2.0.

It sounds like they are going to completely overhaul it, but the actual ward/retainer system isn't going away. Yoshida commented on it not to long ago and said he wants to bring the system first more in line with FFXI's AH (At least get all its basic features) and then work on making the experience in using the market wards features not only easier, but more aesthetically pleasing, he commented how he hates seeing all those dead eyed staring merchants and finds it more then a bit creepy.

What I'd love to see is a one touch search where you are given the option to buy from the menu (like they were trying to implement this patch) or get transported directly to retainer that is selling it, and maybe make it a customizable shop the player can create, and then host all of the accounts retainers there as a nice one stop shop. Kind of like how players could enter another persons mog house only when invited, this would be a place to invite shoppers and you can only get to it when the player is selling something.

Munba

What I'd love to see is a one touch search where you are given the option to buy from the menu (like they were trying to implement this patch) or get transported directly to retainer that is selling it, and maybe make it a customizable shop the player can create, and then host all of the accounts retainers there as a nice one stop shop. Kind of like how players could enter another persons mog house only when invited, this would be a place to invite shoppers and you can only get to it when the player is selling something.

Pretty much what i would like to see too. Both the possibilities is the best way.

Allard

New achievement gear and mog weapons have been data mined.

http://www.daevaofwar.net/index.php?/topic/1690-patch-120-items/

Looks like the achievement gear for Disciple of the Hand are actually really good if I seeing those stats correctly. +10 stats to each classes mods, and the best non-materia stats for the primary tool.

Edit: I only looked at the butchers crown and completely skimped over the other 3, those crowns are actually really really good, Paragon Crown is a friggin maats cap. Still not exactly sure what to make of the mog weapons, they don't have much stats on them and what little new things they have is +1 hp gain chance on hit. How often did the Ifrit weapons fire proc in battle? Anyways looks like they are taking achievement the way I thought they might, they are probably going to use achievements to replace large quest string rewards. Instead of doing a quest chain and getting a big item at the end, it cateloques the quests and what you did along the way and when you complete it all you can obtain the item or title in question. So for those looking for an achievement system like WoW or Xbox Live, this isn't necessary going to be it, its going to be much more integrated into the gameplay rewards.

Jinko

Sounds interesting, although for what it is I would just rather something completely simple similar to WoW's AH.

I find the selling of items in FF14 and in FF11 to a lesser extent such a pain.

FF14 - Exit retainer go to search window - search around for the item check price - go back to retainer to sell item
FF11 - Fumble through menu after menu to find price history - go back into sell menu.

In 14 I have to write a list of items I want to sell in a frikkin notepad check the price and then go back to my retainer, its pretty absurb when you think about it.

I'm worried the price history is only accessible from the search menu which half defeats the purpose of it.

Curious about the achievements, but it's kind of annoying you have to run to all these far-flung places to access them.

Indeed, its all about the journey right ..

I hope we can get this whole suit

Removed the image due is asking for login/pass

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom