• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

I can't decide if those visuals are a downgrade or not, proper shadows are a plus and the new font and UI changes look good.

Edit:- Oh yea Dalamud looks amazing :D

Jijidasu

I can't decide if those visuals are a downgrade or not, proper shadows are a plus and the new font and UI changes look good.

Edit:- Oh yea Dalamud looks amazing :D

Perhaps it's just the settings of the game, a la low settings.

Doesn't look to be as crisp as current FFXIV but for all we know these could even be from a PS3 client.

Jinko

Perhaps it's just the settings of the game, a la low settings.

Doesn't look to be as crisp as current FFXIV but for all we know these could even be from a PS3 client.

True, no AA and low textures, plus the colour scheme seems muted compared to the current build.

I guess its all in development though so I'm sure the finished build will look much better.

Allard

True, no AA and low textures, plus the colour scheme seems muted compared to the current build.

I guess its all in development though so I'm sure the finished build will look much better.

Bayohne mentioned a while back when they first unveiled the promotion shot of all 7 jobs in AF gear and weapons that the production work station they use for promotion shots and video is on a system they deem to be 'mid-range' or designed for standard quality and that it was taken with no AA, all standard drawing quality and mid range texture quality. In that visual shot of the jobs people were complaining about how low res it looked and how there was little AA in it.

My guess based on this knowledge is they wanted to show off what the game looks like at standard settings with no AA and mid range texture quality (maybe to emulate what they think the PS3 version is going to look like). Not sure I agree with it but it is refreshing (even if accidentally) to not see promotional bull-shots being used as gameplay screens. Higher resolution drawing quality and AA, the proper higher res textures, and maybe even sharper/higher quality shadows will make the game look incredible (right now as much as the shadows look amazing as is, even they too are aliased in some of those shots).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So I got to 32 on Black Mage, or whatever the heck they call it. Leveling up Puglist to become a real BLM becasue naturally a monk is what you think of as support for a Black Mage job....

Anyways. Can someone briefly explain what happens with 2.0 I know now that you can redesign your character. Is 2.0 and all new game, do we get to keep gil, inventory, jobs etc. ? Guess I'm a little confused just how this is going to work.

Allard

Oh forgot to mention, anyone else notice that crafting now has a resource pool (CP) and the actions are now in the hotbar just like a combat class? In the screenshot you see a lvl 10 Manqote carpenter with 3 carpenter abilities (designated by saws, maybe they stand for rapid, standard, and careful synthesis) as well as potions, a movement ability and something else on the far right.

So I got to 32 on Black Mage, or whatever the heck they call it. Leveling up Puglist to become a real BLM becasue naturally a monk is what you think of as support for a Black Mage job....

Anyways. Can someone briefly explain what happens with 2.0 I know now that you can redesign your character. Is 2.0 and all new game, do we get to keep gil, inventory, jobs etc. ? Guess I'm a little confused just how this is going to work.

All your work is kept, nothing is wiped in fact Yoshida has made it clear you will get achievements and items you can only get while playing before 2.0.

The main changes you will need to keep an eye out for is your inventory is going to change and will shrink initially (But Yoshida promises nothing will be 'lost' during this transition and that inventory leftovers will be stored on a moogle till you go and retrieve them). On top of this all quests that are chained together (Job quests like your artifact gear I'm guessing) that are not fully completed before 2.0 will require a full restart. They are worried about asset porting issues between the two games server structure so instead of worrying about that they just force you to reset and start them over. When you start 2.0 up the first time you must redo your avatar/toon/PC aesthetically. Make something similar to what you have now, or go a completely new gender and race.

Class levels, items, quests completed, gil will NOT be wiped.

Allard

Kagari just tweeted having seen FFXIV 2.0 in motion. Said it looks amazing.

Oh god don't tell me private room crap? Please tell me its on the show floor and someone can get footage of it ; ;. We know what it looks like in still shots so even in a blurry mess it should give us an idea how it will look in motion.

Allard

She seems to be tweeting an awful lot to be in an interview lol. Perhaps a closed seminar?

Maybe similar to the FFXIII forum they had after the Xbox360 announcement at E3 2009. It was basically a big open seating venue where they fielded some questions about recent announcement or content for FFXIII at the MS press conference (like 30 minutes after that press conference, no cameras but it was live blogged if I remember correctly). For instance they were talking technical things about how the port for FFXIII wasn't going to affect the PS3 release, talked about how they were doing the port and small questions for the game itself.

Jinko

Oh forgot to mention, anyone else notice that crafting now has a resource pool (CP) and the actions are now in the hotbar just like a combat class? In the screenshot you see a lvl 10 Manqote carpenter with 3 carpenter abilities (designated by saws, maybe they stand for rapid, standard, and careful synthesis) as well as potions, a movement ability and something else on the far right.

Wow I didn't notice that, I have been asking for crafting action bar icons for so long, all they need now is mini map icons for gathering when using the scanning skills and I will be a happy crafter/gatherer.

Kagari just tweeted having seen FFXIV 2.0 in motion. Said it looks amazing.

Closed doors makes me sad :(, hopefully SE will release some form of teaser surprise, I would love to see this in motion.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Closed doors makes me sad :(, hopefully SE will release some form of teaser surprise, I would love to see this in motion.
During Gamescom 2 years ago they've shown FFXIV CGI intro and it was also done behind closed doors. The video itself was released soon after that, so we still have hope.

Veezy

que?
So, I started playing this and realized I'd like to not play an MMO for hours by myself. Also, I'm really confused. So, a few questions:

1. Is there a GAF server? Currently, I'm on Ragnarok, but I have no problem rerolling anywhere else.

2. Is there a race class combo that's good for somebody that's brand new?

3. Any new player tips?

Thanks, the last MMO I played was WoW and this feels a lot different.

Nakazato

So, I started playing this and realized I'd like to not play an MMO for hours by myself. Also, I'm really confused. So, a few questions:

1. Is there a GAF server? Currently, I'm on Ragnarok, but I have no problem rerolling anywhere else.

2. Is there a race class combo that's good for somebody that's brand new?

3. Any new player tips?

Thanks, the last MMO I played was WoW and this feels a lot different.

1 Sargatanas

2 dont matter play what you like

3 Leves are you best friend join the gaf ls ask them to craft for you. you learn alot just by talking to them

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I still don't have my Legacy icon. Should I be worried. When I re-subbed, I hit the 30 day option, then did the 90 day option a few days later, after I had been billed. Should it should it show up later this month for next billing cycle?

Veezy

que?
1 Sargatanas

2 dont matter play what you like

3 Leves are you best friend join the gaf ls ask them to craft for you. you learn alot just by talking to them

Thanks much. I know question one was stupid, but it looked like the OP was made well before the "so sorry we made a terrible game, here it is for free" mentality that SE has right now.

Another dumb question, how do I find out who's online in the GAF guid that plays on that server?

Thoraxes

I still don't have my Legacy icon. Should I be worried. When I re-subbed, I hit the 30 day option, then did the 90 day option a few days later, after I had been billed. Should it should it show up later this month for next billing cycle?

That's a damn good question.

I mean, the site only says to register your game by the 31st of May, but it seems you just need to purchase 90 days anytime before 2.0 beta happens.

I'm in the same boat as you right now, except my purchase was... today for game-time (although it was just because I wanted to play, but Legacy was a good incentive!).

Ala Alba

Thanks much. I know question one was stupid, but it looked like the OP was made well before the "so sorry we made a terrible game, here it is for free" mentality that SE has right now.

Another dumb question, how do I find out who's online in the GAF guid that plays on that server?

If you are part of the linkshell (guild), you can check who's on any time you have that linkshell equipped.

If you're not yet part of the linkshell (and from what I understand, you aren't), the best you can do (AFAIK) is to try and /tell the person you are looking for. If they aren't online, it will report that the message couldn't be delivered.

Good luck.

Munba

First demo impression,

You’ve never seen Final Fantasy like this before. Today at the Electronic Entertainment Expo, producer and director of Final Fantasy XIV, Naoki Yoshida, took us through a quick demonstration running live on a laptop in the Square-Enix booth.

The first thing we noticed was the high degree of photorealism in the title. There are dynamic lights, shaders, shadows, natural foliage, and beautiful scenery. Screenshots showed us Chocobo mounts and Moogles aplenty. The game looks and feels just like other massively multiplayer online games, with a third person perspective that Yoshida rotated around his avatar character, zooming in and out to show us the high level of detail. He promised, through a translator, that the game would be playable on a wide range of PC hardware, from lower end to high end, as well as the Playstation 3 console. Players of Final Fantasy XIV will play together, regardless of platform.

We were unable to take photos of the live demo, which mainly consisted of Yoshida’s avatar running through the forest, near some NPCs and a large castle. His avatar had a tail and fuzzy long ears, features of his particular avatar’s race.

Yoshida told us that his concept of the game could be seen as a tripod, with three pillars of gameplay, story, and beautiful graphics supporting a fourth concept, the player community. In Yoshida-san’s eyes, each of these support and enhance the other, with the ultimate goal of entrancing and engaging a large player community.

“What makes this work is all about the experience of the choices, you can choose what to fight, where to explore, you level up, the character grows,” he said. “The story changes based on player choices.”

There are different types of players of MMOs, especially ones who play on a console like the PS3, he reminded us. Some want to play them like a single player game, with storyline and enviroment providing incentive to spend hundreds, even thousands, of hours in game. Other players, he said, want to stray far from the specific story and work on crafting, raising Chocobos, or doing side quests. There will be a way for players to train their own Chocobos from birth, giving them unique abilities for taking a support role in-game, like a mage chocobo or an item-storage chocobo. Other players might want to simply visit friends, hang out, or create and manage guilds. All of this is planned for the game, which should head into beta testing after an extensive alpha program this fall.

Final Fantasy XIV DragoonThe story of Final Fantasy XIV revolves around the city of Aorzia, which is being invaded by the empire to the north. Three different factions have arisen in the city to fight the threat. Players will choose a faction to align with, fighting other factions along the way. They’ll also have a chance to join Free Companies, ffxivs version of guilds.

If that wasn’t enough peril, the world is also threatened by Summons, the Demi gods fans will know from earlier installments in the final fantasy series. Gamers will have their hands full in this universe, across the many battles and alliances they will form.

Other things familiar to fans of the Final Fantasy franchise will manifest in various areas, like the Crystal Towers from Final Fantasy III, and the Magi Tech Armor (another mount that players can ride in the current game) from Final Fantasy VI. Yoshida said that the team wants to take various areas from earlier games, update them for the Final Fantasy XIV universe, and aallow players to roam through settings and areas tehy might be excited about from earlier installments. “We want all players from the 25 year history of the franchise to have those recognition moments,” said Yoshida.

Yoshida hopes to bring these elements together into a title that allows Western sensibilities to enjoy and engage with a a traditionally Japanese genre and series. “Final Fantasy is a global success,” he said, “and we do not want to ignore the western gamer.”

He was less willing to share when the subject of a release date came up. More generally, said Yoshida, he hoped to bring an early alpha test online by late September, which will roll directly into a much larger beta test. He hopes to have the game out sometime in winter (“ish,” he said) of this year.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/06/05/f...western-sensibilities-to-venerable-franchise/

A time machine, please.
/cry

Jinko

I'm not a hundred percent sure how it would work in your case.

N.A

Banned
http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/company/maelstrom/index.html#news

The Imperial Presence in Silvertear Falls
The offensive efforts of Garlean forces have grown ever more insistent.
Time and again their flying warships have rained troopers upon our camp on Vylbrand, and time and again the stalwart soldiers of the Maelstrom, along with the assistance of both the local militia and adventurers, have weathered the steel-clad storm.
There are some few who, after claiming such trifling victories, might think the imperial threat little more than an occasional nuisance. Those who possess the wits the Twelve gave a gnat, however, might be more inclined to question why the Empire, with their overwhelming superiority in numbers, continues such seemingly scattered and ineffectual forays.

Ceruleum? Crystals? What Does the Empire Truly Seek?
Our puissant publication may have acquired the information needed to answer this very question. According to our Maelstrom sources, it appears the Garlean Empire has constructed a base of operations in central Aldenard, in the region of Mor Dhona.

The Empire has long exhibited uncommon interest in this area—one might recall the fleet of warships deployed to occupy Mor Dhona some ten years past. Though that particular attempt was foiled in rather spectacular fashion by a dragon of immense proportions—whom the dominant theory holds to be the legendary wyrm, Midgardsomr—the imperial forces have, it seems, finally succeeded in establishing a foothold in the region.
Could it be that these half-hearted assaults on Eorzean cities were intended to accomplish nothing more than to divert attention from the Empire’s base-building activities? Maelstrom officers have responded to our posited hypothesis with a non-committal, “the investigation continues.”
What elusive prize do the Garleans hope to gain with the construction of this new base? As is often the case, scholarly opinion on the matter diverges rather wildly—some theorize the desire for ceruleum to power magitek weaponry, while others put forth the crystal mines as a likely candidate. There are even those who believe the entire operation a façade for a more sinister purpose.
Whatever the truth may be, all can agree that, at the very least, the Empire has gained a significant foothold on Eorzean soil. One hopes that the upper echelons of the Maelstrom are corresponding with their counterparts in the Twin Adder and the Immortal Flames to contrive a swift reprisal to this unsettling development.

Yumah Molkot

Looks like the new Mor Dhona stronghold will open in 1.22b :D

N.A

Banned
Relic Weapons coming in 1.22b: http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/topics/detail?id=1b3b1d90f6ba7a65d1660dc64461cf1bf68fa674 (pics and descriptions at the link)

Eorzea has witnessed a resurgence of the old ways in recent days, as adventurers the realm over take up the ancient trades of warrior and dragoon, bard and black mage, and more. Now, it is the traditional weaponry of these old mantles that are sought, the means of their making long since lost to the ages. It would seem this longing for things past and old is not limited merely to the schools of war and magic...

Relic Weapons
The reformation of Eorzea’s Grand Companies was born of a longing in the hearts of the free peoples of Eorzea—a longing for the days of old and the peace they knew. It is a sentiment that has since spread to the realm’s adventurers, guiding them toward the rediscovery of trades from a former age that had all but died out. Small wonder, then, that those who have mastered these ancient ways of battle and sorcery now seek the weapons of eld which will enable them to realize the truest expression of their newfound powers. Thus have adventurers begun their quest for the relics.

Obtaining Relic Weapons
Relic weapons are a category of arms designed specifically for a certain job. They are obtained via the “A Relic Reborn” quest, which can be undertaken as of the release of patch 1.22b*. Only players who have completed at least one of the job quests and obtained a soiled promissory note from the NPC Rowena in Ul’dah will be eligible for this quest. Once these conditions are met, “A Relic Reborn” can be started by speaking to the NPC Gerolt at the Hawthorne Hut, found within the Black Shroud.

“A Relic Reborn” is a repeatable quest. After completing it and obtaining a relic weapon, it may be begun again to obtain a different relic weapon. It is not possible, however, to progress towards two different relic weapons simultaneously. Should you wish to pursue a different relic weapon while “A Relic Reborn” is already underway, you must abandon the quest and begin anew. Epic challenges and hard work await those who undertake “A Relic Reborn,” so please choose the object of your desire carefully, lest you find yourself coveting your neighbor’s weapon!

Jinko

Only players who have completed at least one of the job quests and obtained a soiled promissory note from the NPC Rowena in Ul’dah will be eligible for this quest.

FUUUUUU, thats me out then.

Need Kagari's writeup, stat!

Three different factions have arisen in the city to fight the threat. Players will choose a faction to align with, fighting other factions along the way. They’ll also have a chance to join Free Companies, ffxivs version of guilds.

Sounds like faction based PVP.

Other things familiar to fans of the Final Fantasy franchise will manifest in various areas, like the Crystal Towers from Final Fantasy III, and the Magi Tech Armor (another mount that players can ride in the current game) from Final Fantasy VI. Yoshida said that the team wants to take various areas from earlier games, update them for the Final Fantasy XIV universe, and aallow players to roam through settings and areas tehy might be excited about from earlier installments. “We want all players from the 25 year history of the franchise to have those recognition moments,” said Yoshida.

OH MY GOD. Give it to me, now!

Jinko

Whats a soiled promisary note?

Buy a key item from the GC which costs 25,000 seals, get 3 Primal seals from hamlet bosses (some are saying its actually 9 though) trade in for a Promisary note.

It's unclear if you have to do this for every weapon, but I am expecting that to be likely.

Edit:-
Sorry for the confusion on this one, guys. As you suspected, it is simply a mistranslation from the original Japanese. You do indeed, need three of each of the three different primal seals.

I've just made the necessary changes to the text, which will go live in patch 1.22b.

So yea that's quite a bit of work.

notworksafe

Wow...I forgot how long patching takes. Just left for work and I'm still in 2010's updates! Oh well, it gives me plenty of time to decide if I want to use my old XIV character name or my SWTOR character name (both horrendously awful).

Probably will still roll Lancer to start. It still looks like the coolest of the starter classes and I'm interested to see what has changed in it from launch.

EDIT: Looks like the game will be down until I am off work anyway. Well...fine!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Wow...I forgot how long patching takes. Just left for work and I'm still in 2010's updates! Oh well, it gives me plenty of time to decide if I want to use my old XIV character name or my SWTOR character name (both horrendously awful).

Probably will still roll Lancer to start. It still looks like the coolest of the starter classes and I'm interested to see what has changed in it from launch.

EDIT: Looks like the game will be down until I am off work anyway. Well...fine!

Nice timing :D

zlatko

Banned
So I went to look to see if I have Legacy, and I registered my game to play back in Sept 2010. Does it not show the little Legacy logo until you have paid for 3 months? Like I just paid for the first month here in May,a nd plan to re up this month and next month, so on that third month I'll finally see the logo and have it?

notworksafe

"Shatotto"? Isn't that a reference to FFXI or something?

Only the best character in the entire game!

FRuAc.png

O-ho-ho-ho-ho~

desu

So I went to look to see if I have Legacy, and I registered my game to play back in Sept 2010. Does it not show the little Legacy logo until you have paid for 3 months? Like I just paid for the first month here in May,a nd plan to re up this month and next month, so on that third month I'll finally see the logo and have it?

Once you have played for 3 month, so after the 3rd month if you pay month by month, or much sooner if you pay for 90 days.

zlatko

Banned
Once you have played for 3 month, so after the 3rd month if you pay month by month, or much sooner if you pay for 90 days.

Yeah I can't swing dropping the $ down for all 3 right away. I had bought Crysta back before they were about to charge, then extended the massive free trial period. I used that crysta to pay for this first month, and then next month I'll pay through CC means.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom