• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

Wonder if they'll take the old FFXI form (Takes several years to obtain), or the current form (Takes a few months).

Or if they're just super "fuck you players" and are like FFXI's Mythic weapons.

Yoshida said they would be harder to obtain then most gear, and indeed the first step isn't a cake walk (Although nothing of the tune of Relic weapons from FFXI). I am actually curious how they intend to do this multi chain quest to get the relic, because one of the things Yoshida mentioned around when 2.0 was released was that mid acceptance chain quests were going to get reset going into 2.0 due to possible errors that might come about when porting between the different terrain and servers. Basically you need to finish a quest or it would be reset back to the beginning of it. It would suck for the second part to take a long time only to have to redo it again if you don't complete it by the time 2.0 goes live. My guess is they will be hard to obtain, but not something that will take you months to finish (or for that matter years like FFXI). The Soiled note that is required to start the quest is alone a pretty difficult hurdle if you don't have a dedicated group of friends to help you or find pugs for Hamlet constantly. (On top of getting 25k GC seals for the book, and that is assuming you are already the highest rank in your company).

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Wonder if they'll take the old FFXI form (Takes several years to obtain), or the current form (Takes a few months).

Or if they're just super "fuck you players" and are like FFXI's Mythic weapons.

3 seals from each hamlet... with 50k points is random( i think is like 10% or less) , and is only 1 for each run (random player).

+ 25k seals to get the "note" then the quest start.

And hopping the quest will be hard.

Mature

Andriasang posted some tidbits from a Famitsu article interviewing Yoshi-P.
Nothing that mind blowing, but for people who were wondering if the screenshots were at highest quality:
All the screens we've seen thus far have been from the PC version, said Yoshida. The quality will go up by about 15% from what we're seeing now.

Oh, and:
He also said to expect an Ivalice and the FFXIII world in FFXIV form. Yoshida hopes that this type of fan service gets players excited as they wonder what game's "essence" will next be added to FFXIV.
Expect an "Ivalice"? Not sure what that means exactly.

Allard

Famitsu has an interview up with Yoshida today. Hopefully that means the other interview will be right behind them.

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201206/07015922.html (Copy and paste, hot linking will not work)

A preview of the interview is here.

http://andriasang.com/con1d3/ffxiv_interview/

It looks like Yoshida wants to turn FFXIV into a mix of original and fan service content, he wants to anticipate seeing stuff show up from Ivalice and even Cocoon from FFXIII eventually (Hell what if meteor is cocoon!... I joke... I think).

On one hand I welcome to this path, but at the same time I really hope they make their own world and content at an even pace. For instance I don't want to see stuff from old games just get dropped in with little reason, I want it to 'fit' in the world in some form.

Edit: bah should have just posted it when i found it, beaten XD.

Expect an "Ivalice"? Not sure what that means exactly.

Think he just means expect stuff known to appear mainly in the Ivalice games to potentially show up in some form. For instance maybe we might see a resurgence of the Zodiac, maybe city names from FFXII, FFT, and Vagrant Story or even heaven forbid... Viera showing up!

Jinko

Oh damn the coffers that spawn in AV and CC are were the relics are found ?

*coughs*

[dev1426] Treasure coffers have been added in the following areas:

The Aurum Vale / Cutter's Cry

* These coffers will only appear after accepting the quest “A Relic Reborn” and fulfilling certain special requirements.

It's like layers and layers of bullshit .. why can't they just add new bosses that drop items required to craft them via Rowena or something.

Plus that timers tab is getting a bit messy now don't ya think lol ?

kiryogi

Banned
Whelp, guess I'll be working on that GC company quest first!

I hope you wont have to get 25k seals for each weapon. -_-

More than likely.

Oh damn the coffers that spawn in AV and CC are were the relics are found ?

*coughs*

[dev1426] Treasure coffers have been added in the following areas:

The Aurum Vale / Cutter's Cry

* These coffers will only appear after accepting the quest “A Relic Reborn” and fulfilling certain special requirements.

It's like layers and layers of bullshit .. why can't they just add new bosses that drop items required to craft them via Rowena or something.

Plus that timers tab is getting a bit messy now don't ya think lol ?

Well he did say they would not be easy to get, and they straight up say it in the patch notes. And either it's this, or it'd be some super nasty boss like Garuda again. Both are PITA regardless :p

Allard

Whelp, guess I'll be working on that GC company quest first!

More than likely.

Think it will as well, as to get a Soiled note you need to 'turn in' the book and the 9 seals as the whole reason you are getting the note is in exchange for something the NPC deems wealthy as a trade. It is sounding like the AF weapons are going to be mini mythic weapons by the look of it. In order to complete the item you must dabble in all the current end game content; Company Seals and Hamlet first, and now the raids. Would not doubt something new will be added to primal fights in the future to upgrade them further in 1.23. At least they are new items and are 'manageable' even if they still suck from a grinding perspective. Mythic requirements to this day is just ridiculous from both a time needed perspective as well as how you need to potentially screw over friends and their time just to complete it.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Think it will as well, as to get a Soiled note you need to 'turn in' the book and the 9 seals as the whole reason you are getting the note is in exchange for something the NPC deems wealthy as a trade. It is sounding like the AF weapons are going to be mini mythic weapons by the look of it. In order to complete the item you must dabble in all the current end game content; Company Seals and Hamlet first, and now the raids. Would not doubt something new will be added to primal fights in the future to upgrade them further in 1.23. At least they are new items and are 'manageable' even if they still suck from a grinding perspective. Mythic requirements to this day is just ridiculous from both a time needed perspective as well as how you need to potentially screw over friends and their time just to complete it.

Mythics lost the point of what they were introduced to do.

Relics require not only a lot of time, but a lot of money. The people who needed the currency, would sponsor the twice-a-week Dynmis runs, and get to keep the currency. Even then you'd only get maybe 300-400 pieces, and you needed about 18,000 pieces total to finish it. It wasn't just a time sink, it was a money sink. During the first 7 or so years of FFXI, most servers only saw a few dozen players each actually finish.

Mythics were supposed to have been a bigger time sink, requiring more quests, but not a money sink. Unfortunately they included one stage where you need to collect 30,000 pieces of a special currency, nearly twice what you needed for a relic. They made the item very rare, and even if you finished that, you had to do months of repetitive quests in other areas.

With the new Dynamis system in FFXI, two people can duo dynamis for currency, and net them both a relic in a few months. You see them everywhere. No changes have been made to mythics. Even worse for mages becasue all the mage jobs have worthless relics, and amazing mythics, where all the other jobs get a awesome weapon either way.

Husker86

Mythics lost the point of what they were introduced to do.

Relics require not only a lot of time, but a lot of money. The people who needed the currency, would sponsor the twice-a-week Dynmis runs, and get to keep the currency. Even then you'd only get maybe 300-400 pieces, and you needed about 18,000 pieces total to finish it. It wasn't just a time sink, it was a money sink. During the first 7 or so years of FFXI, most servers only saw a few dozen players each actually finish.

Mythics were supposed to have been a bigger time sink, requiring more quests, but not a money sink. Unfortunately they included one stage where you need to collect 30,000 pieces of a special currency, nearly twice what you needed for a relic. They made the item very rare, and even if you finished that, you had to do months of repetitive quests in other areas.

With the new Dynamis system in FFXI, two people can duo dynamis for currency, and net them both a relic in a few months. You see them everywhere. No changes have been made to mythics. Even worse for mages becasue all the mage jobs have worthless relics, and amazing mythics, where all the other jobs get a awesome weapon either way.

A few months for XI? I almost might resub just to get that Aegis that always taunted me :(

Is there still a discount for XIV subscribers?

Thoraxes

I still don't have my Legacy icon. Should I be worried. When I re-subbed, I hit the 30 day option, then did the 90 day option a few days later, after I had been billed. Should it should it show up later this month for next billing cycle?

I can give you an update. The Legacy Icon just showed up in my service account on the account management page.

Took less than 24 hours for it to show up.

Husker86

I still don't have my Legacy icon. Should I be worried. When I re-subbed, I hit the 30 day option, then did the 90 day option a few days later, after I had been billed. Should it should it show up later this month for next billing cycle?

As far as they are concerned you have only paid for 30 days so far. Once that runs out and your new setting of 90 days gets charged I'm sure you'll get the Legacy status.

Jijidasu

Just read FFXIVfan's twitter, he's been digging in the files and got the info on relic requirements. Good god..

Gae Bolg materials: GC seals 25000 (for the key item) 3x each beast lord seal, Beheaded Rozel-totorock drop, Obelisk with 2 materia, Purified silver ore x3, Polished Alumina x3, Ishgardian official ornamental seal, Allagan Ring, Traveller's protection, and some gil.

These names aren't final, I translated them as best I could into English.

Source: https://twitter.com/#!/FF14FAN

Allard

Just read FFXIVfan's twitter, he's been digging in the files and got the info on relic requirements. Good god..

Gae Bolg materials: GC seals 25000 (for the key item) 3x each beast lord seal, Beheaded Rozel-totorock drop, Obelisk with 2 materia, Purified silver ore x3, Polished Alumina x3, Ishgardian official ornamental seal, Allagan Ring, Traveller's protection, and some gil.

These names aren't final, I translated them as best I could into English.

Source: https://twitter.com/#!/FF14FAN

And suddenly the class specific weapons have a use for jobs! even though it sucks for those trying to get a weapon, its nice to see crafters have something to add into making these weapons.

Jijidasu

Oh shit nevermind.. well looks like none of us will be getting these weapons then.

I wouldn't go that far to say impossible!

It would seem that it's not that difficult if you think about it. The hardest part would be gaining the seals, and if these rumours of the 60,000 point Hamlet chest being a 90~100% drop rate for Beast Seals turn out to be true even that is a doddle.

Providing one has a gathering job high enough to farm the materials for the weapons, the expense in that is nearly completely gone. The difficult side of that would be the double meld tier 4.

After that is the key item from Aurum Vale's chest, which has an unconfirmed drop rate.

Nothing more is known for certain after that but it would seem following Aurumn Vale, it's mostly quest work.

Posted this in the 2.0 thread but for those not following that one:

In case anyone needs confirmation, if you played the full game at any time prior to May 31, 2012 (you have to register to play), as long as you sign up for a 90 day subscription prior to version 2.0, you should be able to get Legacy status.

I registered and played FFXIV during headstart, through launch, and several months after. I stopped playing around patch 1.17 and just re-activated my account with a 90 day subscription. It took less than 24 hours for the Legacy status to show up on my account and I also received an e-mail from Square Enix confirming Legacy status.

Jinko

I would say the hardest part is getting the crafted class weapon with 2 x IV melds, its a lot harder to meld 2 tier IV's than it looks.

Plus I don't like the fact that it favours blacksmith.

The choices Yoshi-p has been making lately has really made me question his leadership on this game.

Dalamud says hello
dalamud.jpg

For someone who hasn't played since patch 1.17, what are some things I should do that might not be available once 2.0 launches? The only thing I know about right now is the Gobbue mount.

Coldsnap

In case anyone needs confirmation, if you played the full game at any time prior to May 31, 2012 (you have to register to play), as long as you sign up for a 90 day subscription prior to version 2.0, you should be able to get Legacy status.

I registered and played FFXIV during headstart, through launch, and several months after. I stopped playing around patch 1.17 and just re-activated my account with a 90 day subscription. It took less than 24 hours for the Legacy status to show up on my account and I also received an e-mail from Square Enix confirming Legacy status.

When I came back after the welcome back campaign I selected 90 day but it checked me out with 30 days. I think im screwed.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Gamerescape Interview.

here

GE: So are there any other new systems we can expect to see at at launch 2.0 that we don’t have now?

Yoshida: One thing that will be implemented at 2.0 launch will be new instanced raids that will require alliances of 24 players. In addition, for these, and other instanced raids, we will be adding difficulty selections. So players can play on normal difficulty and get certain items, but then try again on a hard setting in order to obtain better items.

Yay! alliances!!!

IGN Interview

here

notworksafe

Cool, after my 30 days I'll just add 90 and then I'll be golden!

Made my character on Sargatanas but by then it was 1AM and I went to sleep. Probably won't have another chance to play until next week but I'm still excited!

ffxivgame2012-06-0707vakn8.png

cruets

damn that was a good interview on gamerscape. excited for my battle chocobo! i better get all my crafts to 50 before 2.0. ugh back to crafting

Allard

Info in that gamerscape article is sobering yet comforting. So 2.0 will get a proper beta and the live servers will close during it. Looks like come September/early October we will finish playing our live characters till January/February or when they deem 2.0 ready to officially launch. I know of a few people that news won't be particularly good but I always questioned the status quo wisdom of moving right into the new 2.0 client without extensive public testing, even if during this phase it would be free. New terrain + new servers = massive optimization tweaks and probably constant roll backs to keep data from getting corrupted. This way they can test to their hearts content, force players to play as new characters to judge the early experience and flow of leveling, and make sure our actual characters get ported correctly.

The other interesting find is what Yoshida said about the new summons, they are actually going to become public NM content so the current iteration of the primal battles WILL be gone in 2.0.

Legacy campaign is still going on, correct? The 5/31 deadline was just for registration?

Yes the campaign is still going on but make sure you select the 90 day subscription option instead of the 30 day one. Square-Enix has to 'pull' 90 days worth of funds charged to your account and if you do the once every 30 version, it will take 2+ months for you to see Legacy status. That is fine though, it looks like you would be able to get legacy status even if you did it that way, you just wouldn't get your confirmation till 2+ months later, unlike the 1-6 day version it would be on the 90 day subscription.

Kokonoe

Banned
Excuse my lackluster searching skills, what exactly is "Legacy"?
And when is 2.0 expected to be released?

What about if I purchased the collectors edition, but never payed a single monthly fee? If I payed for 90 days now, would I still get it?

Salaadin

Yes the campaign is still going on but make sure you select the 90 day subscription option instead of the 30 day one. Square-Enix has to 'pull' 90 days worth of funds charged to your account and if you do the once every 30 version, it will take 2+ months for you to see Legacy status. That is fine though, it looks like you would be able to get legacy status even if you did it that way, you just wouldn't get your confirmation till 2+ months later, unlike the 1-6 day version it would be on the 90 day subscription.

Thanks. I was asking for a friend to be sure but Ill pass on the message.

What about if I purchased the collectors edition, but never payed a single monthly fee? If I payed for 90 days now, would I still get it?

Legacy members basically get to play 2.0 at a reduced rate.

Youre in the same boat I was. Just go to your SE account, reactivate and pay for 90 days, and in a day or two youll get Legacy.

Allard

If you played the game at any time after Launch, that means you are registered. All you need to do is set up a 90 day subscription, once SE charges you for 90 days, you should get legacy status.

And since you asked initially legacy status is a special status for those that helped play/fund the game while they worked on 2.0. You get a special monthly price when 2.0 launches of 9.99 a month for the optimum settings. The optimum settings are the ability to create 8 characters per world with up to 40 in total across multiple servers (like how most other MMO's do it). This setting is normally 14.99 a month. You also get a special aesthetic chocobo and the ability for you to have your name/character name in the credits for 2.0. The lower setting is 12.99 a month and it lets you only be able to create 8 characters total across all servers and only 1 on each server. Which is normally fine to tell the truth, this is a game where you don't really need alts since you can level every job and every craft to max level right now. But no matter what you want legacy status will be the cheaper option so if you intend to play this longer then 10 months, that will always be the cheaper way of playing 2.0.

Jinko

current iffrit, garuda, moogle king battles for one

Are the 100% being taken out of the game.. I find that a bit odd.

I know Yoshi said that they would be roaming in 2.0 but maybe there will be instanced versions as well. (perhaps Ravi could ask that)

Kyudo

Neo Member
Are the 100% being taken out of the game.. I find that a bit odd.

I know Yoshi said that they would be roaming in 2.0 but maybe there will be instanced versions as well. (perhaps Ravi could ask that)
I think the changes to them are just gonna be the reasons you fight them aswell as stuff involving the 7th umbral era.

Allard

I think the changes to them are just gonna be the reasons you fight them aswell as stuff involving the 7th umbral era.

Problem is the new versions are going to public/roaming NM's now, and the idea of being able to fight them in an instance, especially after a group has captured the primal, goes against Yoshida's reasoning for never allowing them to be summoned by a conventional means. (Imagine fighting Garuda in a BCNM and then summoning Garuda to beat her in an instance... as funny as that would seem (And useless since I imagine she would just absorb or negate the damage) it would go against the 1 primal, 1 world rule he seems to be putting in place).

Basically I expect the current BCNM's to be scrapped in 2.0 but the mechanics of fighting the primals would be similar, just in an open environment (and maybe stronger to compensate for the free roaming mechanics, that or if you aggro lets say ifrit, he produces an arena of flames around him to keep people not engaged from entering, and keep those engaged from leaving alive). Yoshida already hinted in his last live producer letter that the items obtained from the primals might only be obtainable right now.

Jinko

I can't imagine seeing Eruptions and plumes in the open world or when he jumps where the hell is he coming from ..

I don't think you can really bring these kind of mechanics into the real world, more importantly with the way the claiming system is you could bring 2 teams or more and all have them kick the crap out of him.

Teknoman

Probably just means more nods to other FF games, kind of like how we currently have FF6 references in the form of Magitek along with FF7's Materia and Garlean gunblades. It's an odd way to put it, though.

I need to go to some sort of Moon and fight huge single cell organisms then.

FF4PSP_Prokaryote.png

FF4PSP_Mors.png

EDIT: YES HOLY SHIELD! The sword reminds me of Amano art, so i'm fine...even though its a bit wide.

And once again, those late to patching:

http://tehkrizz.net/FFXIV/downloads.php

Anyone seen/datmined the new enemies?

wait wait wait... if I registered in may for a 90-day subscription, but did not play the game, will I still get Legacy status!? I have not played the game as I am away from my PC until the end of June. God.

Allard

A fairly decent size impression page of the FFXIV demonstration is up on gamewatch but its in Japanese. Reinheart over on the official forums has posted a summary of the info. Meanwhile he is translating an absolutely HUGE Q&A from them as well. Like 4-5 times more questions then what we have seen thus far. Lots of indepth questions especially on optimization, and content coming in 2.0 and even some ideas he has for expansions or content well after 2.0 releases.

The Q&A will have to wait as Rein is busy but I will post the demo summary.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20120608_538807.html?ref=twitter

Mr. Yoshida's demo was using 2011 laptop with Core i-7 with Radeon graphics card, not sure of the detailed specs but it wasn't a high end gaming PC model and to show the game doesn't require high spec Mr. Yoshida ran the demo on Core i-5 with GeForce MX330 card laptop pc to show us.

First thing that surprised us was the how smooth it was. Although it was an offline version the characters movement, screen camera move all around and still was smooth just running a little bit older MMORPG with an high end PC. When we were shown how much it moved with lower core i-5 system we can see it how it will work fine on a PS3. Either way knowing it will run fine with current PC should be good info for lots of PC game fans and those waiting for PS3 release.

We noticed the frame rate dropped some in the forest area which has lots of objects and effects while moving but Yoshida stated that it's already lighter than current FFXIV and even when it's heavily processed it's still getting at least 20fps. But our goal is to have it optimized at 30fps. Also the quality is about 85% so far and there is still lots of optimization to do, right now is about 15% optimized.

What Mr. Yoshida showed us here at Thalanan was how the buildings or ground were built. They are both made of stone and using normal map techniques it's quality is is photo realistic. Mr. Yoshida stated with confidence "With current MMORPG we can do this much with objects also. I believe it can match with current console's stand alone games." when we asked "can this be done with PS3 as well?" he replied "The texture and Mipmap resolution will drop but for graphic it self it can produce the same"

Here is the link for the Q&A for those that want to take their own crack at it.

http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/20120609_538873.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom