• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

So there's an AH? Does it work like FFXI? (and where is it in Ul'Dah?)

Nope, but there are marketwards, it does not work like FFXI AH.

It is the area marked Marketwards, next to the Aetheryte.

They should be simplifying it in 2.0, something more like a regular AH.

kiryogi

Banned
pearl.png

Salaadin

The gc quests should get you more than enough.

Ill have to check again but Im pretty sure the bulk of the missions require me to party up and I dont have many people my level to play with so Im trying to do it all solo.
A lot of the guides Im reading say to just grind the chocobo caravan thing so thats what Ill do if it comes to it.

Maybe Im better off just getting to level 30 so the GC leve in Cassiopeia Hollow will be a little easier for me. I barely got it yesterday at level 28.

Visceir

Bought the game today for 20.- €, physical copy that comes with the Garlond goggles item. Never played a FF mmorpg before and I know close to nothing about the game. Wondering how much reading up I should do before diving in.

RPGCrazied

Do all copies come with the goggle item? Or just the CE? I should get it by Thursday, it was shipped this weekend.

Bought the game today for 20.- €, physical copy that comes with the Garlond goggles item. Never played a FF mmorpg before and I know close to nothing about the game. Wondering how much reading up I should do before diving in.

Check this out. Allard I think his name is told me about this site. Looks like it will help new players out a lot.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/

Coldsnap

So here's my two cents on Hamlet Defense since I've been running them all damn weekend.

The fight itself is very fun and I really like the mechanics of it. The main role of this fight is on the DOL turning in pots, if something happens to them or they become inefficienct the front line will drop like flies. There's some mastery to this as-well because you need to learn to throttle and speed up when necesary, because you can accidently kill the boss with poison but at the same time if poison isn't up at key times the field will be overran.

I can see how this will ramp up in difficulty because once you get the times down you can sleep the waves right when they enter thus breaking them up so the front line won't take a full wave of rank 3-5 (when that happens) head on.

The drops are sorta rare. One team that I ran with have the strategy down for drops and I believe this is defiantly the best way to handle it. The whole team is backing 2-3 people to get them in the top 3, so they are crafting / gathering for them. This works well because when you run with someone in the top three you get a bonus point that puts you over 60k, so a chest with a high seal drop rate. Also they can get seals and items from the NPC you use to warp out of the Hamlet Defense. So they are getting more seals because they get 1 from the chest 1 from talking to NPC and they sell the misc hamlet drops that the NPC give if your in the top 20 to fuel more supply stuff to maintain the top 3.

No, you can access Ul'dah's from the other two cities', though. The main thing I wanna see put in is being able to sort weapon and armor lists by level.

God yes please. The AH as it is right now is TEEEERRRIIIIIBLE. Its not even up to the standards that FFXI had like some 10 years ago.

My PC of six-years unfortunately kicked the bucket last week, so I'm going to miss out on the questing for a while! :(

I was planning an upgrade in September so it wasn't the worst thing in the world, and hopefully Eorzea will look pretty tasty once I get a newer rig!

Visceir

Do all copies come with the goggle item? Or just the CE? I should get it by Thursday, it was shipped this weekend.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/

I saw two copies in the store. One that had "Garlond Goggles edition" written on top and the other one was without. It wasn't a CE that I bought, just a version that had those goggles included. TBH from the one screenshot I've seen they look really awful. But supposedly they help you learn skills faster or something? "increases the speed of skill progression" is what it says.

Edit: Got home and started patching now. Seems like this will take a loooong time.

Nakazato

I saw two copies in the store. One that had "Garlond Goggles edition" written on top and the other one was without. It wasn't a CE that I bought, just a version that had those goggles included. TBH from the one screenshot I've seen they look really awful. But supposedly they help you learn skills faster or something? "increases the speed of skill progression" is what it says.

Edit: Got home and started patching now. Seems like this will take a loooong time.

use the torrent method with a torrent dler the offical torrent is horrible

Visceir

use the torrent method with a torrent dler the offical torrent is horrible

Ehh, it shows my download speed is at 450 - 550 kb/sec, which is close to my max. I'm just guessing there are several gigabytes worth of patches to be downloaded.

The Garlond Goggles were a preorder item for the regular version. CE version gets the Onion Helm, which looks way cooler :l

Caelestis

Are the job quests require you to play with someone else although they say nothing on it or is there some trick? I am level 42 and I can't even beat the first quest to start a Bard job. :|

desu

Are the job quests require you to play with someone else although they say nothing on it or is there some trick? I am level 42 and I can't even beat the first quest to start a Bard job. :|

Haven't done Bard yet, but yeah most of them require you to have a party (unless youre lvl 50 xD). If you're in the gaf LS just ask around, people will help you. If you're not shout in uldah for help.

Also the later quests will require you to be in groups since you might have to enter dungeons that only allow parties of 4-8 in there.

notworksafe

I'm starting to think I should have gone with Uldah as a home city. I just went with Gridania because there were moogles in the first cutscene.

Also, I'll probably be bugging you for a pearl if you're on today, Kiryogi.

Allard

Job quests are designed to be done with a party at the level they are administered. Some can be done solo at level though (I soloed the lvl 35 quest on DRG at lvl 36 which has you killing one of the item drop NM's) but most of the flag quests need 1-2 extra people or done on a lvl 45+ for solo. At lvl 45 almost all the quests need help from other people to accomplish (I needed 5-6 people for bard lvl 45 quest, make sure you got at least 1 BLM to sleep adds or it becomes a very difficult encounter). And then the artifact quest requires access to parts of the 3 beastmen strongholds and access to one of the 3 raids which requires minimum 4 people and most need more then minimum as they tend to take you by at least one of the spots that require help of a near full group of 8. And outside of a couple job quests almost all the lvl 50 ones require a full group of 8 (Give or take some luck) to finish them.

RPGCrazied

I'm still wondering if I'll be able to play this game. My score on the benchmark was 2538 or something, but I was running it at 1920x1080p with 4xaa and 8xanisotrphic. The thing that has me worried is the denser areas, the benchmark sadly didn't do much of anything. Long as it won't be a slide show I don't mind. I can play at 19-22 fps no problem.

Just turn off ambient occlusion? I hear that is a framerate killer.

Nakazato

I'm still wondering if I'll be able to play this game. My score on the benchmark was 2538 or something, but I was running it at 1920x1080p with 4xaa and 8xanisotrphic. The thing that has me worried is the denser areas, the benchmark sadly didn't do much of anything. Long as it won't be a slide show I don't mind. I can play at 19-22 fps no problem.

Just turn of ambient occlusion? I hear that is a framerate killer.

yes

Ravidrath

I'm starting to think I should have gone with Uldah as a home city. I just went with Gridania because there were moogles in the first cutscene.

Also, I'll probably be bugging you for a pearl if you're on today, Kiryogi.

The only thing affected by the city you pick at the start are the quests and cutscenes you get for the first third of the Main Scenario questline. It doesn't limit you in any other way - Grand Company is an entirely different decision you make around L20.

And there are a lot of Moogles in the other Gridanian starting leg cutscenes, too!

Caelestis

Haven't done Bard yet, but yeah most of them require you to have a party (unless youre lvl 50 xD). If you're in the gaf LS just ask around, people will help you. If you're not shout in uldah for help.

Also the later quests will require you to be in groups since you might have to enter dungeons that only allow parties of 4-8 in there.

Job quests are designed to be done with a party at the level they are administered. Some can be done solo at level though (I soloed the lvl 35 quest on DRG at lvl 36 which has you killing one of the item drop NM's) but most of the flag quests need 1-2 extra people or done on a lvl 45+ for solo. At lvl 45 almost all the quests need help from other people to accomplish (I needed 5-6 people for bard lvl 45 quest, make sure you got at least 1 BLM to sleep adds or it becomes a very difficult encounter). And then the artifact quest requires access to parts of the 3 beastmen strongholds and access to one of the 3 raids which requires minimum 4 people and most need more then minimum as they tend to take you by at least one of the spots that require help of a near full group of 8. And outside of a couple job quests almost all the lvl 50 ones require a full group of 8 (Give or take some luck) to finish them.

I see, thanks for the info. Guess I have no choice then. I am in the gaf ls (Rin Ayre), but just been really busy lately to play the game for more than 30 minutes. Feels bad to ask people when I have to flee so quickly. D:

Salaadin

I'm thinking of going Maelstrom because it has high potential for pirates. Does the gear in each GC favor certain classes or are they are pretty shared?

Best city choice confirmed.

I read that it doesnt make a huge difference but someone did tell me that the Immortal Flames have slightly better weapons. No idea if thats even true or not.
I made my choice after doing all the quests. I ultimately went with the one that I liked the most which ended up being Maelstrom.

Allard

I read that it doesnt make a huge difference but someone did tell me that the Immortal Flames have slightly better weapons. No idea if thats even true or not.
I made my choice after doing all the quests. I ultimately went with the one that I liked the most which ended up being Maelstrom.

70% of the gear is similar between the nations, another 15% are straight different items (Different weapon type, different armor type etc.) and the last 15% is similar armor with minor stat discrepancies. People say some items are better on the Immortal Flames but that's just based on the class (For instance the Sarouwels have attack, defensive and crafting attributes, one pair of pants might have better stats for crafters, one with better evasion, one with better attack). There is also some where the 'set' stat bonus is changes based on the nation but it only interchanges with another stat on the item, if you have enough for get set bonus they are the same across all nations but if you don't they are drastically different items. I think there is like one piece of armor that is on the flames that is straight up better then the other 2 nations but its like the difference of 5 evasion to 8 evasion, the rest of the stats are the same.

So is the LS pretty much open to any Gaffers who want to join? I just started last night and am wondering if I should join up or wait till I actually have something to contribute. I have restarted like five times since I got the game and never made it past LV 10, and it has always felt like a rather lonely experience. Kinda want to change that.

Mature

So is the LS pretty much open to any Gaffers who want to join? I just started last night and am wondering if I should join up or wait till I actually have something to contribute. I have restarted like five times since I got the game and never made it past LV 10, and it has always felt like a rather lonely experience. Kinda want to change that.
We have a LS specifically for social/beginner players. So, feel free to join that. Just contact:

Salaadin

I want to join too. I liked being a member back whent he game first launched even though I didnt talk much. Sometimes its nice just to have that scrolling chat box so you dont feel so lonely out there ;P

Logged in and started playing for the first time in months. I feel completely lost. I don't know how to do anything anymore, lol...

As soon as I entered Ul'dah I was assaulted with greetings and Linkshell requests since my current linkshell apparently died and I am now shell-less. Ignored them for now since I need to figure out how to play again. I was surprised at the amount of people in the city. It seems about the same from when I left but it could also be due to the server mergers.

Everything on my character, in my inventory, and on my retainers are now dated. I also lost the name of one of my retainers (R.I.P. Pumpkin). Too bad about the dated items -- about 5 million worth of goods down the drain. I am currently sitting on about 19 million, so I just bought all the current gear that I needed and then vendored all the dated stuff. Surprisingly, I got about 3-5k per item so I picked up about 250K, though I would have made a lot more in the wards. The item search is a huge improvement and I like the addition of mercantile houses.

After taking care of my gear and inventory, I rented a chocobo and ran around for a bit and then went and grabbed my Gobbue mount. That was fun for a while but it seemed a bit slower than the rental chocobo. The fields seemed pretty empty and barren but did notice the addition of several outposts, camps, and hamlets. I'll investigate those later.

I'm trying to do some Grand Company Quests now and earn my personal Chocobo. I'll probably tackle some job quests next, since my Thaumaturge and Conjurer are both almost 50.

The game seems much more playable on Mouse and Keyboard now. A lot of the problems that existed before are still there as far as the menu and interface is concerned but they seemed to have delivered on all or most of their promises along the way and made a lot of improvements overall. I'm having fun. This will be a good distraction whenever I need a break from TERA. Can't wait for 2.0!

GAF, I'm in the process of coming back. I found my security token, but my game disc seems to be missing.

I'm back on Square Enix members and don't see anything helpful.

What should my steps be to getting this reinstalled? Do I have to buy a new game?

edit: As I don't even know if my server still exists, what will happen to my character? Will I even still have it :O?

Allard

Logged in and started playing for the first time in months. I feel completely lost. I don't know how to do anything anymore, lol...

As soon as I entered Ul'dah I was assaulted with greetings and Linkshell requests since my current linkshell apparently died and I am now shell-less. Ignored them for now since I need to figure out how to play again. I was surprised at the amount of people in the city. It seems about the same from when I left but it could also be due to the server mergers.

Everything on my character, in my inventory, and on my retainers are now dated. I also lost the name of one of my retainers (R.I.P. Pumpkin). Too bad about the dated items -- about 5 million worth of goods down the drain. I am currently sitting on about 19 million, so I just bought all the current gear that I needed and then vendored all the dated stuff. Surprisingly, I got about 3-5k per item so I picked up about 250K, though I would have made a lot more in the wards. The item search is a huge improvement and I like the addition of mercantile houses.

After taking care of my gear and inventory, I rented a chocobo and ran around for a bit and then went and grabbed my Gobbue mount. That was fun for a while but it seemed a bit slower than the rental chocobo. The fields seemed pretty empty and barren but did notice the addition of several outposts, camps, and hamlets. I'll investigate those later.

I'm trying to do some Grand Company Quests now and earn my personal Chocobo. I'll probably tackle some job quests next, since my Thaumaturge and Conjurer are both almost 50.

The game seems much more playable on Mouse and Keyboard now. A lot of the problems that existed before are still there as far as the menu and interface is concerned but they seemed to have delivered on all or most of their promises along the way and made a lot of improvements overall. I'm having fun. This will be a good distraction whenever I need a break from TERA. Can't wait for 2.0!

Good to see other people having fun that haven't played much since launch :). Word of warning (and this is for everyone on this forum) Massively seem to confirm what I thought to be true. When 2.0 beta starts, the end of the current world will happen. 1.0 servers shuttered forever so if you need to get something done make sure you do before October. Suddenly the 'death' of this current game feels almost too close now that E3 has gone by XD, I feel like I am running out of time to do my current goal! (Getting all equipment based crafts up to lvl 50 before 2.0)

GAF, I'm in the process of coming back. I found my security token, but my game disc seems to be missing.

I'm back on Square Enix members and don't see anything helpful.

What should my steps be to getting this reinstalled? Do I have to buy a new game?

edit: As I don't even know if my server still exists, what will happen to my character? Will I even still have it :O?

If you have a previous account and you activate it once again then all you need to do is download the initial client again from a torrent or something. The 'official' way to get the download is to buy it from SE store again or from amazon digital downloads. But I see no reason why you would need to do that, and since you already bought the game initially and you are paying for the subscription its not like its piracy to download it free somewhere else. Yoshida seemed to promise that the actual 2.0 client will be available for free to download when the game released again early next year so at least in 2.0 we will have a 'recovery' download option, but it doesn't exist right now.

Your character is saved don't worry, it got merged onto the new server but if its a name you think would be easily replicated then it might need to be renamed when you log in, I know a lot of people had to change retainer names when they first came back at least.

Good to see other people having fun that haven't played much since launch :). Word of warning (and this is for everyone on this forum) Massively seem to confirm what I thought to be true. When 2.0 beta starts, the end of the current world will happen. 1.0 servers shuttered forever so if you need to get something done make sure you do before October. Suddenly the 'death' of this current game feels almost too close now that E3 has gone by XD, I feel like I am running out of time to do my current goal! (Getting all equipment based crafts up to lvl 50 before 2.0)

If you have a previous account and you activate it once again then all you need to do is download the initial client again from a torrent or something. The 'official' way to get the download is to buy it from SE store again or from amazon digital downloads. But I see no reason why you would need to do that, and since you already bought the game initially and you are paying for the subscription its not like its piracy to download it free somewhere else. Yoshida seemed to promise that the actual 2.0 client will be available for free to download when the game released again early next year so at least in 2.0 we will have a 'recovery' download option, but it doesn't exist right now.

Your character is saved don't worry, it got merged onto the new server but if its a name you think would be easily replicated then it might need to be renamed when you log in, I know a lot of people had to change retainer names when they first came back at least.

Where do I activate again? I've clicked a ton of things on the SE Members website but don't see it >_>

Allard

Where do I activate again? I've clicked a ton of things on the SE Members website but don't see it >_>

You are going here right?

https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/login?cont=account

I ask because there is another site called SE members that is completely different.

Inside once you log in, locate 'select service' in the service and options tab on the left side. Find the FFXIV (should be 1 of 2 options if you have FFXI registered, otherwise its the only one there). From there you can activate your service again, make sure you are also updated on your billing information. There is credit card options now.

You are going here right?

https://secure.square-enix.com/account/app/svc/login?cont=account

I ask because there is another site called SE members that is completely different.

Inside once you log in, locate 'select service' in the service and options tab on the left side. Find the FFXIV (should be 1 of 2 options if you have FFXI registered, otherwise its the only one there). From there you can activate your service again, make sure you are also updated on your billing information. There is credit card options now.

Thanks! This is what I was looking for!

BOLD = FINALLY.

Alright, I'm not good w/ torrents, do I need to download something first to get it?

Can anyone recommend some good targeting settings for Keyboard + Mouse for a THM/BLM? Seems like I have to click way too many times to fire off a spell.

Edit: Made some adjustments. Now all I have to do is tab select my target, it auto-locks onto target, and then I just hit the attack/spell shortcut. This seems good for now.

Kronotech

I have about 190 items in my inventory and can't figure out how best to sell these in the wards. There are far too many different wards and i can't easily locate the correct one for each item. Does it really matter? And if I can't find the item, how am I supposed to price them accordingly?

I need 2.0 here fast...

GAF, stupid computer question for you. I have 2 HDs in my computer. I want to install XIV again. My HD w/ Windows on it is full, can I run XIV off the other HD? I've never done this and feel really stupid for asking lol.

Kyudo

Neo Member
GAF, stupid computer question for you. I have 2 HDs in my computer. I want to install XIV again. My HD w/ Windows on it is full, can I run XIV off the other HD? I've never done this and feel really stupid for asking lol.

There should be no problems playing off another HD.

Ravidrath

That's what I was hoping for, downloading the patches now.

I was with the old GAF LS, will I have been moved to the same server as any of them that are left? Or will it ask me where I want to go?

You should be on the new server - send a /tell to Ravidrath Astolph, and I'll get you a pearl.

Sofo

I felt so accomplished yesterday! I know it's silly. I did leves to get WHM to 35. Went to unlock Regen quest that requires you to kill Downy Dunstan as WHM. Since there was nobody around and I didn't want to bother them, I was going to try solo it on my 50 BLM.

At first, I managed to keep it to 1~ish % and sleep it, then had to deagro it somehow and switch to WHM. Sadly I took too long to change gear and it returned to its territory. Second time was a charm! I kept on my WHM gear for my BLM so I wouldn't have to change, and then a couple of Aero and Stone > Stonera, and it was down!

I felt good about it, even if that's not the way you're supposed to do it. :3

Btw! Does anyone here play on Mac? Any iMac users? I'm curious because I might cave in on the next refresh on the last ones, and was wondering how do you guys do it with the current ones. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom