• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just joined the social/beginner LS. My names Andel Weisse. Can't wait to play this game with some real people rather than grind out boring Guildleves.

Oh and thanks a bunch to Eithne Rain for making the trip out to Uldah to deliver my pearl.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
First, I want to thank kiryogi for the pearl!

Second, let me get one thing straight. Like many others, I haven't been seriously playing XIV for a few months and quite a lot has changed. Inns, small aetherytes, class quests, Grand Companies. Is there a guide to all those new features or do we have to read the last gazzilion patch notes to not be lost?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
First, I want to thank kiryogi for the pearl!

Second, let me get one thing straight. Like many others, I haven't been seriously playing XIV for a few months and quite a lot has changed. Inns, small aetherytes, class quests, Grand Companies. Is there a guide to all those new features or do we have to read the last gazzilion patch notes to not be lost?

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com :)

And sadly yes, i think for specific details, you should read patch notes.

For items craft and stuff

http://mooglebox.com for example

Jinko

Yea you would be mostly adviced to read over the patch notes as they explain things in a lot of detail.

I even visit some of the older ones myself or information.

Ugh I really need to go over and learn how to play this game. I spent almost a half an hour just learning how to send a tell. I kept sending tells and waiting for a response...without realizing they weren't going anywhere (blue text). I figure once I get the hang of the mechanics it will get easier.

Salaadin

Ive given up on solo farming GC seals until Im a higher level. I couldnt even handle the chocobo caravan by myself at 28 and the rewards probably wouldnt have been worth it in the end. Going to level to 30+, get some new gear, and try again.

Ill grab that goobue mount at 30 so I have a faster way to travel in the meantime. Im running out of anima.

I put in maybe 8-10 hours these past 3 days and Im really enjoying the changes so far. Auto attack, new music, map icons. Theyre all little things but they really change the way the game feels. My only major remaining complaints is the menu speed, inventory sorting, lack of auction house, and repetitive areas. All of thats changing with 2.0 so now Im really looking forward to it. Im starting to feel like I did pre-FFXIV launch.

I hope they pull it off.

kiryogi

Banned
Ive given up on solo farming GC seals until Im a higher level. I couldnt even handle the chocobo caravan by myself at 28 and the rewards probably wouldnt have been worth it in the end. Going to level to 30+, get some new gear, and try again.

Ill grab that goobue mount at 30 so I have a faster way to travel in the meantime. Im running out of anima.

I put in maybe 8-10 hours these past 3 days and Im really enjoying the changes so far. Auto attack, new music, map icons. Theyre all little things but they really change the way the game feels. My only major remaining complaints is the menu speed, inventory sorting, lack of auction house, and repetitive areas. All of thats changing with 2.0 so now Im really looking forward to it. Im starting to feel like I did pre-FFXIV launch.

I hope they pull it off.

Salaadin are you on now?

RPGCrazied

Is there a lot of hacking in this game? Should I be okay without a security token? Unlike Blizzard games, they seem to hack you so easily.

notworksafe

Btw! Does anyone here play on Mac? Any iMac users? I'm curious because I might cave in on the next refresh on the last ones, and was wondering how do you guys do it with the current ones. Thanks!
I previously played on Mac. It's pretty playable on the newer iMacs and Macbook Pros but you'll have to buy a copy of Windows and use Boot Camp. It won't work at all in virtualization with VMWare.

Coldsnap

Is there a lot of hacking in this game? Should I be okay without a security token? Unlike Blizzard games, they seem to hack you so easily.

I dunno what hack rates are like but I feel like a high target for hacking so I picked up a security token authenticator. Most of the known hacks on my server on Xi were through social engineering.

Salaadin

Whats the deal with gil and gil sellers in this game?
I know it felt ridiculously easy to earn money early on but have they scaled that back some? I havent dabbled in crafting much so I dont know. I will say that I thought the gil rewards from leves are nice. In any case, it seems that money is more available than it was in FFXI.

I see a lot of gil sellers though. Large groups of people named "asdakf", etc yesterday roaming around Bloodshore. Is gil that hard to come by that people still feel the crazy need to buy it?

I wonder if theyll implement any anti-gil seller measures like FFXI did.

Ravidrath

I see a lot of gil sellers though. Large groups of people named "asdakf", etc yesterday roaming around Bloodshore. Is gil that hard to come by that people still feel the crazy need to buy it?

I wanted to ask Yoshi-P about this, but didn't get a chance to.

I'm sure they will.

I can't imagine anyone is actually buying gil now, so they must be saving up for when 2.0 hits. So I'm guessing they're letting them pay subscription fees and lulling them into a false sense of security, and then they all will be obliterated during the month of downtime while the game transitions to 2.0.

Whats the deal with gil and gil sellers in this game?
I know it felt ridiculously easy to earn money early on but have they scaled that back some? I havent dabbled in crafting much so I dont know. I will say that I thought the gil rewards from leves are nice. In any case, it seems that money is more available than it was in FFXI.

I noticed this also. I included it as one of my questions to Kagari for Yoshida in the other thread. I agree with Ravi that I think the gil sellers are ramping up for 2.0 and I hope they address this before launch.

Visceir

Put a few hours into the game. It was rather saddening to see how limited the character creator is. I ended up remaking my character quite a few times and eventually settled for Hyur Highlander, even though it seemed like all their faces looked like they had been through several 14 round boxing matches and have gotten a proper beating.

Started off as a pugilist, started off in the desert city and got to lvl 8. I'm guessing there is no stat allocation? Atleast it wouldn't let me add any stats even when I leveled up. Quest wise I was told to go to the Gladiator's place...even though I noticed that there is a pugilist's place on the map as well.

Not really sure how long I'm supposed to level pugilist or when I'm supposed to switch to another class. Guess I should do some reading and planning on which classes to play, how long I should play them and which skills I should get.

Also! My god are those loading times awful.

I doubt there's a lot of hacking of this game going on now. The first few months after launch there were a lot of stories about hacked/stolen accounts. There isn't a mobile authenticator app for phones so you would have to buy the physical token.

RPGCrazied

Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to wing it without one. Make a long password. I don't feel like having another authenticator for a game.

Anyways, I'm getting the game today. Is there like 5 gig of patches? Any mirror to get those?

Sgblues

I'm currently on Balmung now, just chilling(not playing much since other games, got legacy status) but can jump over to Sargatanas to join the ls since I'm not in one at the moment and would be re-rolling come 2.0 anyways.

Salaadin

Couple of questions, hoping someone can clue me in a little bit more:

-Leves refresh twice a day now? 4 in the morning and 4 at night until they cap off at 99? Meaning if I dont play for a few days, I can come back and spam a bunch of leves in a row until I run out of tickets?

-Does rested XP wear off if I were to idle all day outside of the inn? Basically, if I rest before I go to bed at night and then log on in the morning to idle bazaar some stuff, is my rested XP going to wear off before I have a chance to take advantage of it?

-NPCs can only repair items to 99%? No way to push this to 100%?

-Whats a reasonable price to pay someone for repairs? Dark matter doesnt seem too expensive but I do intend on paying enough to cover the cost of dark matter + extra. Are there any ideal spots to stand and get repairs? I dont see a lot of people hanging around the guilds anymore.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Thanks guys. I think I'm just going to wing it without one. Make a long password. I don't feel like having another authenticator for a game.

Anyways, I'm getting the game today. Is there like 5 gig of patches? Any mirror to get those?

Here

Couple of questions, hoping someone can clue me in a little bit more:

-Leves refresh twice a day now? 4 in the morning and 4 at night until they cap off at 99? Meaning if I dont play for a few days, I can come back and spam a bunch of leves in a row until I run out of tickets?

-Does rested XP wear off if I were to idle all day outside of the inn? Basically, if I rest before I go to bed at night and then log on in the morning to idle bazaar some stuff, is my rested XP going to wear off before I have a chance to take advantage of it?

-Whats a reasonable price to pay someone for repairs? Dark matter doesnt seem too expensive but I do intend on paying enough to cover the cost of dark matter + extra. Are there any ideal spots to stand and get repairs? I dont see a lot of people hanging around the guilds anymore.

Yes, you get 4 per cycle (4hours?) and you can expend all in a single day.

No, only wear off when you gain exp.

No, only crafters can do it.

As a crafter i repair anything i see if it have at last the matter as reward. Also you can put up your gear for "Request Repair" and it's pays the repair guy, 500gils + matter per repair.

Arksy

So how do jobs (monk/paladin) work? One thing I liked about FFXIV is that you could change what you were doing at a whim, and mix and match and essentially come up with your own damn class. Has that customisation gone now? :(

So how do jobs (monk/paladin) work? One thing I liked about FFXIV is that you could change what you were doing at a whim, and mix and match and essentially come up with your own damn class. Has that customisation gone now? :(

You have your normal classes like Pugilist and Gladiator and Marauder, etc. Once you hit level 30 + lvl 15 in another required, secondary class you take a quest to get a key item that lets you play as a job. When you equip this orb as the primary class, you become that job.
So Pugilists become Monk, Glads into Paladins, Lancers into Dragoons, etc.
The customization is still there, the jobs are just more specialized versions of the classes. You're still free to switch to another class or job whenever you want.

Thats my understanding of it, at least. I'm still pretty much a newbie to the game. Haven't been playing too much.

Salaadin

Here

Yes, you get 4 per cycle (4hours?) and you can expend all in a single day.

No, only wear off when you gain exp.

No, only crafters can do it.

As a crafter i repair anything i see if it have at last the matter as reward. Also you can put up your gear for "Request Repair" and it's pays the repair guy, 500gils + matter per repair.

Thanks.

Ill have to buy some dark matter and use that for reimbursement. Didnt even consider doing it that way.

I also need to look into gearing up my crafting jobs. I bet I can repair a lot of shit on my own.

Jinko

If you wear the gear you want repaired you can go into the gear window and put the items up for instant repair, someone can come along and repair all items of the same craft at once, the cost is determined by the system. (hopefully they expand on this repair system in 2.0)

So whether you decide to go into a Job is a choice not a requirement? Sounds like a good system.

Pretty much, you will find that most 8 man party content is centered around jobs and solo play is more dependant on classes.

RPGCrazied

Where is the patch folder? I installed, and the download speed for the patches on the client is slow, much faster on that site with the patches, but I don't see a patches folder.

-

Nevermind. Its on the site on how to do it. :p I wasn't reading.

LogicStep

So I just got the game and I have no idea what class I should play. What's the best class to be able to solo most of the stuff that's also pretty fun?

Ala Alba

So I just got the game and I have no idea what class I should play. What's the best class to be able to solo most of the stuff that's also pretty fun?

Thaumaturge kills single targets very quickly, and can easily take on single enemies 2-3 levels above them (a big deal early on), making it easy to solo for the first ~30 levels.

In my limited experience, anyway.

RPGCrazied

Apparently a maintenance is going on? How long does those last? I finally install and patch up, and I get this page on the launcher. Blah.

LogicStep

Thaumaturge kills single targets very quickly, and can easily take on single enemies 2-3 levels above them (a big deal early on), making it easy to solo for the first ~30 levels.

I see, I will pick that class then. Thanks.
Apparently a maintenance is going on? How long does those last? I finally install and patch up, and I get this page on the launcher. Blah.
Yeah, I'm waiting for this to be done, I really want to play right now.

Allard

There is a maintenance on the Square-Enix Account management system and since we use that to log into everything officially associated with FFXIV through it (including obviously playing the game itself) it is down for a while. Maintenance is scheduled to go from 2 PM PDT to 12:30 AM PDT, its a long maintenance.

RPGCrazied

Aww, so I guess no playing tonight? Do they have weekly maintenance? What days does it happen normally?

And I did get the goggle item, I guess most new copies get it. They do look ugly, but says it does increase skill speed progression.

Allard

Aww, so I guess no playing tonight? Do they have weekly maintenance? What days does it happen normally?

And I did get the goggle item, I guess most new copies get it. They do look ugly, but says it does increase skill speed progression.

Square-enix Account maintenance doesn't happen very often, at most twice a year.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Pretty much. I started with this, and when I leveled a melee job I could barely solo anything more than 2 levels above me. I'd miss too much.

Thaumaturge was easy to level to 30 and past, especial once I discovered the magic of skeletons. They're so squishy to magic. I could 2 and 3 shot ones 3 levels higher than me.

Allard

Oh nice. I meant server maintenance. Like WoW is every Tuesday. I'm sure SE has to do some sort of server maintenance.

Nope, the servers are live 24/7 unless explicitly stated on the lodestone either due to a new patch or emergency maintenance to fix an issue. FFXI was the same way. The reason being since the servers are global (Anyone from any where can go on the server) they can't have specific time every week for server maintenance or else it disproportionately affects specific timezones.

desu

Well imho, THM is the easiest class to level (havent leveld all others but your kill speed is just insane). And to be honest leveling from 40-50 was much easier than from 1-40. From 40-50 to I would recommend going to Treespeak and doing leves with frogs there. You can easily take 3-6 levels higher than yourself and you get massive exp. A single run there sometimes only lasted 4-5min but gaves 10-15k exp overall (you need 100k for level 50 ...).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom