• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arksy

Has this led to an over-representation of THM in the game? How about CON? And as an aside what are Archers and Lancers like at the moment? I loved the changes they did to Archer a while back but I didn't get to really get to see their viability.

Allard

Has this led to an over-representation of THM in the game? How about CON? And as an aside what are Archers and Lancers like at the moment? I loved the changes they did to Archer a while back but I didn't get to really get to see their viability.

To be honest the amount of specific classes is pretty spread out, but that has nothing to do with what classes are the easiest to level or not, the fact is it is actually very easy to level up classes now if you have had enough time to store some leve allocations on top of partying with friends. Most people I know usually have minimum 2 lvl 50's and a lot of them have almost every single one of them leveled up to lvl 50. Even if you only level one class, as long as its used in any capacity most people can change their own classes around to fill in the gaps right now. That might change when the level cap is eventually increased but for now its usually pretty easy to make a party in the high levels for content.

One thing I noticed is that WAR, WHM, BLM and Bard will always have a use in a group; PLD, DRG and MNK have less flexible/needed roles to fill in a group so it usually depends on the content and make up of the party for their use but even those jobs/classes fill important niches. PLD is a good single target tank with some extra sustainability (if you can get cure off in a timely fashion and maintain hate that is, not always an easy task in battles that require you constantly moving.), DRG is the melee = of a glass canon. They have good hating shedding abilities and when played right make a great single target and AOE damage dealer, but being a melee class in AOE range and with abilities that depend on hp sacrifice and decreased defense they can be a hard class for parties to support in some battles. Basically they are hard to play right in events but when they are played right they stand very tall in the DPS pack. Monk is an optimum single target DPS, but like DRG needs to be in constant AOE range on top of having few AOE moves of their own. Great for bosses, and makes a great off tank for adds due to their survivability skills but they just don't quite fill multiple niches like WAR, BLM and BRD can do. WAR Tanks/DD, BLM is crowd control + great AOE and Single target damage, BRD is a buffer support (has access to raise and normal cure spells on top of their buffs which can be a boon in the heat of battle when a raise is needed and WHM raise timers are used up) and range attacker making it an easy pick for the more AOE prone mobs. And well WHM... unless the content is so easy where you don't need much healing at all you always need a WHM or two in battles. 2 times to raise, AOE cures, status removal and pinch DD if no heals are needed they are used is almost all content. In fact in Hamlet, they are like the only Combat class outside of one tank that is used for some of the 60k point strategies.

Jinko

Yes BLM is the most used class in the game but that's not really because of ease of levelling, BLM is pretty much required for all end game activities.

BRD, WHM and BLM can always find a spot in a party.

Although Allard mentions that PLD is a better single target tank I would disagree, fights like Moogle, a PLD is much more useful in getting AoE hate at the start of phase 2.

In any situation where the tank needs to pick up hate fast I would say AoE flash is better.

Jinko

And I guess I'm going to need new armor as a Thaumaturge as well? Would using the pugilist's base armor give me any penalties?

Using gear on other classes is only ideal when they are the same level and the class favours that armour.

For example if you under the optimal level you wont get any bonus stats and the def stat will be reduced by a lot, same goes for if you aren't the favoured class.

Visceir

I just wish I could ditch the noob gear already and get something cooler, but I guess I'll have to trade all my gear for another set of noob gear :(

RPGCrazied

Finally. After dicking with settings, patching the game, waiting for a maintenance to finish, I get to play. I got a pugalist to level 6 and got healing wind. I guess I bought the wrong weapon for the thurmage or whatever. I got a wreathed cane and it says I'm a conjuralist. How do you mix skills with different jobs?

I'm getting around 15-23 in the gradius forest or whatever its called, specially when it rains I get 15. It's still playable though, please tell me this is the most dense area in the game? And ambient occlusion option is useless like people say! With it on I was getting 7 fps! :p Loving it so far. Just doing 1 star levequests. Looks like I'm about to run out for the day. What do you do after you run out? Also, what is the method of getting a screenshot? When I hit the printscreen button I get no screens in the screenshot folder.

Arksy

Grrr! When are they going to fix this atrocious website?

Few questions:

-Is there a proper AH now? If not, is one coming in 2.0?

-Can I use paypal to subscribe?

-How many people in the GAF LS? :D

Allard

Grrr! When are they going to fix this atrocious website?

Few questions:

-Is there a proper AH now? If not, is one coming in 2.0?

-Can I use paypal to subscribe?

-How many people in the GAF LS? :D

1) The market wards function loosely like an AH now at least when it comes to buying items. Its not perfect (Retainer wards getting full is a huge issue right now for selling things) but it is definitely functional. You now have item name search, buy from prompt at the search, the 20 lowest costing sells visible at all times, the last 10 sells (including the time and date they were sold) and its now possible to search and buy from all market wards within each city so there isn't as much of a reason to 'just' play in Ul'Dah now. In 2.0 they are going to overhaul it into a retainer + AH system (Probably getting rid of the wards in the current capacity) where the retainer sells your wares and tells you when something is sold (like the delivery system in WoW telling you something is waiting for your in your inbox), meanwhile the wards will be consolidated into a single identity so no more worrying over setting a retainer up in another city where no one will look for it.

2) Yes you can use Paypal. You can use credit cards now too without using click and buy.

3) I have no idea, I am not on gaf's server :p

RPGCrazied

I couldn't get it to work, I'll just use FRAPS. Can anyone help me about skills? How do you use a skill from a pugalist when you are using a thuramalist?

Oh, here is my guy!

ffxivgame_2012_06_14_13_09_32_08.jpg

Mastamind

I played at release and got burned out real quick. With 2.0 being worked on will there be an overhaul of the quest/leve system. Will it be a more traditional mmo questing system where you do unique quests or will it continue to be mostly repeatable leves used to level up.

RPGCrazied

I think its fine, though I've only played a couple hours so far. I wish it ran a little better, but maybe with the new engine it will. I'm still very new at it, and have no clue what I'm doing. lol Also, how do you get your own room?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I couldn't get it to work, I'll just use FRAPS. Can anyone help me about skills? How do you use a skill from a pugalist when you are using a thuramalist?

Oh, here is my guy!

Open actions and traits and check PUG and equip the skills on THM

I think its fine, though I've only played a couple hours so far. I wish it ran a little better, but maybe with the new engine it will. I'm still very new at it, and
have no clue what I'm doing. lol Also, how do you get your own room?

You need to do a quest starting in the INN.

After seeing 2.0 in motion it's really hard to go back and play the current version :( What have you done, Yoshida...

I hate you! :*

LogicStep

This game has some problems or something. It doesn't run perfectly smooth and my computer is pretty decent...

i7 920
6gb ram
gtx 570

I have to turn off ambient occlusion because it makes the game run like shit.

Jinko

This game has some problems or something. It doesn't run perfectly smooth and my computer is pretty decent...

i7 920
6gb ram
gtx 570

Ambient occlusion is broken, don't use it and yes the games engine is not very good, its being completely replaced in 2.0.

After seeing 2.0 in motion it's really hard to go back and play the current version :( What have you done, Yoshida...

Did you ever post your interview btw ?

Salaadin

i7 920
6gb ram
gtx 570

Ambient occlusion does that to everyone. I dont think Ive seen a single person who was happy with that turned on.

Its pretty smooth for me. Its not solid all the time but its do-able for an MMO that looks as good as it does.
I think you can cap the framerate at 30 in the options if youd prefer a solid 30 rather than 60 with drops.

RPGCrazied

Open actions and traits and check PUG and equip the skills on THM

You need to do a quest starting in the INN.

Thanks dude! :) Now I can heal while nuking people! Does pugalist get a better heal, or is that it?

Now I ran out of quests. :( I did my 8 levequests and the main story and can't seem to find anything else. I returned some guys bag, got my room, now what? lol

LogicStep

So as a Thaumaturge, what jobs should I pick at first? And should I level another class a little to get some other skills or should I be fine like this?

Allard

So as a Thaumaturge, what jobs should I pick at first? And should I level another class a little to get some other skills or should I be fine like this?

Archer and Pugilist. When you become a BLM those will be the class skills you can pull from. Be warned one of the best cross-class ability Archer has is at lvl 42 (Compared to all the other classes having max lvl 34 to get their last cross class ability). Chameleon is an ability that you will want available in a party setting when you are lvl 50 (Don't worry about too many cross abilities till lvl 50, honestly) as it gives a direct enmity down in the heat of battle, even on my Archer that ability has allowed me ride the hate line quite nicely. Decoy (When practical since its consumes MP) + the MP evasion ability on Pugilist is nice in a pinch, and the same goes with second wind.

Outside of those classes you will also want to level conjuror. Stoneskin can be a pretty nice ability to have in solo play, plus occasionally when they have enough crowd control switching ro THM and having access to a raise is also a boon. Sometimes you just can't avoid deaths and sometimes those deaths will come from your WHM's. Having that extra situational raise can be very helpful. In the moogle battle at level 50 sometimes people are not minding their surroundings very well and get hit by the Moogle flare ability which can absolutely devastate anyone caught in it unprepared, especially classes with less hp like mages, we tend to have 2-3 BLM's for Moogle fight and usually one of them goes THM just for that extra raise if one or both the WHM's die or their recast timer is too high to get someone else that is down.

Allard

Cool, what about stuff like weaver, carpenter etc.?

The general rule of thumb for crafting right now... level them all lol, but if you can't/won't do then all I can say is make sure you level a paired gathering class with whatever you decide you want to level. Botany with Weaving, Culinary, Carpenter; Fishing for Alchemy and Culinary; and Mining for Armorer, Goldsmithing, Blacksmithing and for a couple 'material' components Leatherworker. Leatherworker is the class to level when you already got a high level combat characters as the main way to procurer material is to fight the mobs that drop the hides, otherwise you are going to buy them all or get them from leve rewards. The reason I said Mining for Leatherworker is because the primary source of Alumen comes from mining which is used in most hide to leather recipes.

And that's just for making items, to be good at a craft you need to level multiple crafting classes to lvl 36 - lvl 45 right now because the best abilities are strewn about all the classes. My opinion level carpenter first to lvl 45, and then level other crafting classes to lvl 30. You want a mix of progress abilities and quality up abilities and the sooner you get some of the better quality up abilities, the faster you will level the other crafting classes too.

In the end though, that's just to be an amazing crafter, level up the class that you personally believe will benefit you the most. For some leveling up weaver is that since getting good crafting gear is very helpful or you want good mage gear. Leather is prime crafting class of Archer and Monk Gear as well as Gathering classes and the leather is used in a whole host of other components. Blacksmithing is the Tool and Weapon crafter for most classes, basically anything that needs metal affixed to the head, they probably craft it. Carpenter is a decent match early on for Archer so they can make their own arrows and some bows. Some tools and weapons are also crafted with Carpenter as well as some of the shoes in the game. GSM handled 'most' of the accessories in game as well as a couple misc. tools and weapons and head pieces (Glasses). The other class that makes accessories is leatherworker but in a smaller capacity. Armorer makes all the heavier armor in the game as well as a couple tools for Alchemy.

Alchemy and Culinary are the consumable item crafts. Alchemy makes shards and crystals from fishing gathers as well as makes potions, components for other classes as well as a couple tools (Like 2, and I think they are both considered dated). Culinary is pretty obvious, they make food which has become an integral part of a characters strength, especially in the higher levels. Food also grants a 3% EXP bonus but you can get that with even consumed raw meat so you don't need a culinary for that.

Have fun :)

LogicStep

The general rule of thumb for crafting right now... level them all lol, but if you can't/won't do then all I can say is make sure you level a paired gathering class with whatever you decide you want to level. Botany with Weaving, Culinary, Carpenter; Fishing for Alchemy and Culinary; and Mining for Armorer, Goldsmithing, Blacksmithing and for a couple 'material' components Leatherworker. Leatherworker is the class to level when you already got a high level combat characters as the main way to procurer material is to fight the mobs that drop the hides, otherwise you are going to buy them all or get them from leve rewards. The reason I said Mining for Leatherworker is because the primary source of Alumen comes from mining which is used in most hide to leather recipes.

And that's just for making items, to be good at a craft you need to level multiple crafting classes to lvl 36 - lvl 45 right now because the best abilities are strewn about all the classes. My opinion level carpenter first to lvl 45, and then level other crafting classes to lvl 30. You want a mix of progress abilities and quality up abilities and the sooner you get some of the better quality up abilities, the faster you will level the other crafting classes too.

In the end though, that's just to be an amazing crafter, level up the class that you personally believe will benefit you the most. For some leveling up weaver is that since getting good crafting gear is very helpful or you want good mage gear. Leather is prime crafting class of Archer and Monk Gear as well as Gathering classes and the leather is used in a whole host of other components. Blacksmithing is the Tool and Weapon crafter for most classes, basically anything that needs metal affixed to the head, they probably craft it. Carpenter is a decent match early on for Archer so they can make their own arrows and some bows. Some tools and weapons are also crafted with Carpenter as well as some of the shoes in the game. GSM handled 'most' of the accessories in game as well as a couple misc. tools and weapons and head pieces (Glasses). The other class that makes accessories is leatherworker but in a smaller capacity. Armorer makes all the heavier armor in the game as well as a couple tools for Alchemy.

Alchemy and Culinary are the consumable item crafts. Alchemy makes shards and crystals from fishing gathers as well as makes potions, components for other classes as well as a couple tools (Like 2, and I think they are both considered dated). Culinary is pretty obvious, they make food which has become an integral part of a characters strength, especially in the higher levels. Food also grants a 3% EXP bonus but you can get that with even consumed raw meat so you don't need a culinary for that.

Have fun :)

I see, thanks for the info. I guess I will start with weaving botany and culinary. I'm trying to figure out how to level them though. I don't know any recipes and seems like the only way to level it is through the leave quests.

One question, I think someone asked that already. I can't do any more leave quests and I don't have any main quest or anything. What am I supposed to do, I'm running around town but I can't seem to find anything to do.

RPGCrazied

Ok. I seriously am stuck now.

I got items to be a miner, botanist and fisher. I have no clue where to mine. I use the sense ability and always come up with nothing. I also can't seem to do anymore quests, something about I did all I could for the day. Can you seriously not do other quests somewhere? I think I did the last story part where I am at. The big treant with the moogles?

Allard

Eh, I felt that way at first, but am back in the swing of things.

You at least gotta get your Goobbue mount before it's gone forever!

Damn you two :(, Well I guess we won't have to wait that much longer to play it ourselves.

Ok. I seriously am stuck now.

I got items to be a miner, botanist and fisher. I have no clue where to mine. I use the sense ability and always come up with nothing. I also can't seem to do anymore quests, something about I did all I could for the day. Can you seriously not do other quests somewhere? I think I did the last story part where I am at. The big treant with the moogles?

The abilities for the gathering classes only work in the territories you can search for them. Basically abilities like Arbors call (botanist) search's out for a specific grade tier, if that tier is not in the region or near area, you will get nothing back. If it says a node is more then 400 yards away, that means you probably can find the grade in the sub-region, but its not close enough to seek. In order to find the ones further away you use abilities like Triangulate (Lvl 3 botanist ability) which gives you a speed boost and tells you the north, south, west, east gathering nodes and how many you can find if you travel in that direction. When you finally find a node in your grade level with an ability like Arbor's call, you need to play a game of hot and cold trying to zero in on the point which is usually accented by a glowing animation (A pulsing red/purple color on the rocks, green sparkles on trees, and blue swirls or just bodies of water really for fishing). For fishing if you just find a spot with an open sea (Limsa beaches and cliffs, or any town ponds or waters) you can fish. Fishing also requires bait or lures so make sure you have some lug worms for sea fishing, or lures for river/pond fishing. You can fish right off the docks in limsa if you wish for sea fishing.

Grade 1 is always in the lower level areas. Camp Bent Branch, Camp Black Brush, Camp Bearded Rock etc. In fact they tend to follow the same leveling pattern as the combat class leve locations, at least the primary ones.

As for quests, like I said they are supplemental, and you should be doing them for rewards rather then EXP. The best 'supplemental' EXP besides leves and an EXP party is behest which occurs every 30 minutes (starting on the hour) at leve camps. They mobs will always start at 5 levels above the camps preferences and scale based on the highest level person doing behest and the amount of people also increase the amount of mobs that need to be killed.

RPGCrazied

Damn you two :(, Well I guess we won't have to wait that much longer to play it ourselves.

The abilities for the gathering classes only work in the territories you can search for them. Basically abilities like Arbors call (botanist) search's out for a specific grade tier, if that tier is not in the region or near area, you will get nothing back. If it says a node is more then 400 yards away, that means you probably can find the grade in the sub-region, but its not close enough to seek. In order to find the ones further away you use abilities like Triangulate (Lvl 3 botanist ability) which gives you a speed boost and tells you the north, south, west, east gathering nodes and how many you can find if you travel in that direction. When you finally find a node in your grade level with an ability like Arbor's call, you need to play a game of hot and cold trying to zero in on the point which is usually accented by a glowing animation (A pulsing red/purple color on the rocks, green sparkles on trees, and blue swirls or just bodies of water really for fishing). For fishing if you just find a spot with an open sea (Limsa beaches and cliffs, or any town ponds or waters) you can fish. Fishing also requires bait or lures so make sure you have some lug worms for sea fishing, or lures for river/pond fishing. You can fish right off the docks in limsa if you wish for sea fishing.

Grade 1 is always in the lower level areas. Camp Bent Branch, Camp Black Brush, Camp Bearded Rock etc. In fact they tend to follow the same leveling pattern as the combat class leve locations, at least the primary ones.

As for quests, like I said they are supplemental, and you should be doing them for rewards rather then EXP. The best 'supplemental' EXP besides leves and an EXP party is behest which occurs every 30 minutes (starting on the hour) at leve camps. They mobs will always start at 5 levels above the camps preferences and scale based on the highest level person doing behest and the amount of people also increase the amount of mobs that need to be killed.

Thanks, going to take awhile to get use to this game. Its not like any other MMO out there. Where do you find more story quests? I at least want to do those for the cutscenes. I guess when you get to a certain level they show up? I'm in the forest, and did all the ones I have.

LogicStep

I have a question! How important is the point allotment? I ask because if I put my points in a way to make a better caster, won't I suffer if I change my class to a melee class? That's kinda shitty and goes against the whole flow of being able to be any class...

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I have a question! How important is the point allotment? I ask because if I put my points in a way to make a better caster, won't I suffer if I change my class to a melee class? That's kinda shitty and goes against the whole flow of being able to be any class...
You distribute points separately for each class.

Allard

Thanks, going to take awhile to get use to this game. Its not like any other MMO out there. Where do you find more story quests? I at least want to do those for the cutscenes. I guess when you get to a certain level they show up? I'm in the forest, and did all the ones I have.

I don't remember the new levels since they changed them up like 2-3 patches ago but around lvl 20 you used to need to go to Ul'Dah Merchants Ward (A new option at the market wards) to do the next part of the main storyline. Think its now lvl 18. There is only 3 'main missions' that take place exclusively in your home nation, after that everyone does the same stuff and the HQ for most of the missions are at the Ul'Dah merchants wards. Also at lvl 20 if you have finished the lvl 18 main mission quest (Since you need access to Parley for a lot of class quests) the class quests open up. You get one at lvl 20, lvl 30, and lvl 36 and they start at the guild of the class. You also get the first Grand Company Quest at lvl 23 which you should do when you can. At lvl 25 there is a bunch of GC quests that open up including the ability to actually join a company. You also gain access to Toto-rak which is a 2-4 person instanced dungeon. It is a primary source these days for GC seals and mid level gear (lvl 30). You also gain access to special company leves which give great EXP at lvl 28+, and the low level choco escort but good luck getting a proper leveled party for that.

RPGCrazied

I don't remember the new levels since they changed them up like 2-3 patches ago but around lvl 20 you used to need to go to Ul'Dah Merchants Ward (A new option at the market wards) to do the next part of the main storyline. Think its now lvl 18. There is only 3 'main missions' that take place exclusively in your home nation, after that everyone does the same stuff and the HQ for most of the missions are at the Ul'Dah merchants wards. Also at lvl 20 if you have finished the lvl 18 main mission quest (Since you need access to Parley for a lot of class quests) the class quests open up. You get one at lvl 20, lvl 30, and lvl 36 and they start at the guild of the class. You also get the first Grand Company Quest at lvl 23 which you should do when you can. At lvl 25 there is a bunch of GC quests that open up including the ability to actually join a company. You also gain access to Toto-rak which is a 2-4 person instanced dungeon. It is a primary source these days for GC seals and mid level gear (lvl 30). You also gain access to special company leves which give great EXP at lvl 28+, and the low level choco escort but good luck getting a proper leveled party for that.

Thanks. Isn't all of that being changed in 2.0? Get to relearn it then too. :p I feel like I'm going so slow. I got a level 7 pugalist with a level 5 thuramage. Should I get those level 10 or so then go for conjurer and archer?

Darryl

Banned
Kagari, you were gonna post some 2.0 impressions right? Gimme gimme.

i think he uploaded those already to rpgsite.net

so, i'm about level 15 and my method for leveling is going to ul'dah, getting leves, and then doing those at camp drybone for like 100xp per mob and 1k per leve. is that about right? any suggestions on where I go afterwards (and when?)? this game has me really confused on what i should be doing

Allard

Thanks. Isn't all of that being changed in 2.0? Get to relearn it then too. :p I feel like I'm going so slow. I got a level 7 pugalist with a level 5 thuramage. Should I get those level 10 or so then go for conjurer and archer?

Yeah sounds like a lot of it is changing in 2.0. Its what we got right now though! The gamewatch interview implied questing hubs akin to most modern MMO's are coming in 2.0 which focus on specific level ranges. Hamlet, Behest, Battle leves, escort is still going to be in 2.0, but I imagine they will expanded/changed in 2.0 to be more useful. Basically enjoy the game for what it is now but don't get burned out. Its the advice I give to anyone who plays MMO's but this game definitely needs the advice, I know a bunch of people that quite when the game began to charge who came back recently and were surprised how much the game changed in 2-3 patches and suddenly back for a long time. Hell I used to go on large scale hiatuses and only played for like a week during patch time, but I have been playing steadily for 5+ solid weeks now. I don't know what clicked but now I can't stop playing, think it was the EXP change for crafting XD. Its a very relaxing activity and just lets me chat with ls members.

i think he uploaded those already to rpgsite.net

so, i'm about level 15 and my method for leveling is going to ul'dah, getting leves, and then doing those at camp drybone for like 100xp per mob and 1k per leve. is that about right? any suggestions on where I go afterwards (and when?)? this game has me really confused on what i should be doing

Camp switches happen every 10 levels. For instance it goes Black Brush 1-8 -> Drybone 9-18 -> Horizon -> 19-28 -> GC and Regional Leves in Nanawa Mines and Nophica's well 29-38 -> Halatali Regional and GC leves and Broken Water for 39-50 in the Thanalan/Ul'Dah. For leves the "Stars" stand for the level the mobs show up as. Try to get even level or a lvl or two higher then you current character for higher EXP gain, EXP goes up at specific level intervals (like lvl 31, lvl 41 etc.) The star is an increase of level by 3 based on the default star level. 2 stars = lvl 13 mobs at Drybone for instance. Always add about 3-4 levels on to the camp level range if you want to do behest there since they will always start out as 5 levels above minimum to the camps default leve levels. Between levels you get milestone quests and missions to do. From grand company quests, to the instance dungeon at lvl 25, main mission line, class quests, job quests (starting at lvl 30) and repeat etc. up to lvl 45 where you gain 'access' to all the end game content but don't really get much use out of it till lvl 50.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom