• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jinko

Translated from french to english.

community dev said:
A short note to confirm that it is possible to change companies in the release of version 2.0. However this will cause a reset of the rank of company

I know this is not the ideal solution to the problem of objects, but this change will allow at least some return on their choice of company..

Sin

Oh hey Sin, long time no see :)

Anyone got any last minute questions for Yoshida-san? I'm sending up some in a bit.

Hey Kagari, yea, long time no see. How have you been? :)

Can you pass on to Yoshi-P if he has any plans to promote more competition between linkshells at high levels.

Some sort of leaderboard at the Adventurer's Guilds which tabulates NM kills or raid clears for example since they are moving away from direct linkshell confrontation with the lack of open world content.

creid

I've got a dumb question: as a THM, is there any good reason to turn on auto-attack? Having to turn it off to rest slows down the pace of the game for me, and my auto-attacks do almost no damage. I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not drawing my weapon? I assume the magic stat increase that my weapon gives is in effect whether I've drawn it or not, but I'm not so sure about my shield.

Buttons

I've got a dumb question: as a THM, is there any good reason to turn on auto-attack? Having to turn it off to rest slows down the pace of the game for me, and my auto-attacks do almost no damage. I'm wondering if I'm missing out on anything by not drawing my weapon? I assume the magic stat increase that my weapon gives is in effect whether I've drawn it or not, but I'm not so sure about my shield.

Generally as a mage you never draw your weapon. Granted, I levelled both of mine when we still had no auto attack and we used to spamm darts to attack.

But in endgame on both WHM and BLM I can't even remember the last time I drew my weapon, really no reason to because you wont regain any mp.

I think I remember hearing you can't block any damage without being in Active mode (With your shield), although I doubt its worth it in the long run to give up the small mp regen.

when leveling solo I will periodically draw my weapon if I can take the last sliver of HP off a mob in order to conserve MP (assuming I actually need to conserve MP).

Mature

I think I remember hearing you can't block any damage without being in Active mode (With your shield), although I doubt its worth it in the long run to give up the small mp regen.
They also made it so when you block, you don't get spell interrupted, but it's very circumstantial. Almost always stay in passive.

creid

Thanks guys. Seems kind of a waste to have a cool-looking wand if you rarely have any reason to pull it out, but I guess that's just how it goes.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Hey Kagari, yea, long time no see. How have you been? :)

Can you pass on to Yoshi-P if he has any plans to promote more competition between linkshells at high levels.

Some sort of leaderboard at the Adventurer's Guilds which tabulates NM kills or raid clears for example since they are moving away from direct linkshell confrontation with the lack of open world content.

Not too bad, yourself?

And of course, I'll pass that right along to Yoshida-san. I'm doing my E3 follow-up interview with him :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So "Winter" for 2.0?

I'm really looking forward to playing this.

Jijidasu

As for a follow up question; I've had this one for a long time and I keep forgetting to throw it out there. It's in regards to the animation system:

1. FFXIV (currently) has quite detailed animations for running and emotes but they are locked as one solid skeleton which doesn't allow us to do other animations while moving and.

In 2.0 how are they handling the animations? Are they being completely remade? (so should we expect to be running differently and so on?)

2. In one of the screen shots released we see a Black Mage casting a spell in a casting animation yet to be seen in game. Are we to assume that finally Black Magic and White Magic casting animations are to be separated into unique styles? Also, what about the over-used generic weapon swings with Discipline of War classes - a la Fast Blade > Savage Blade being the same animation.

So far much has been said about 2.0 featuring a "flashy, speedy" combat system, but I can't help but feel that if there aren't unique animations for weapon skills it will not reach that "flashy" element they aim for.

Thanks!

Munba

If possibile, only 2 questions:

1) there will be also some 'open-world' content in 2.0? Like some non-istanced dungeons ala Shposhae or roaming HNM around (with non istanced combat)?

2) some basic housing-estates will be at the 2.0 launch?

Thanks.

Allard

As for a follow up question; I've had this one for a long time and I keep forgetting to throw it out there. It's in regards to the animation system:

1. FFXIV (currently) has quite detailed animations for running and emotes but they are locked as one solid skeleton which doesn't allow us to do other animations while moving and.

In 2.0 how are they handling the animations? Are they being completely remade? (so should we expect to be running differently and so on?)

2. In one of the screen shots released we see a Black Mage casting a spell in a casting animation yet to be seen in game. Are we to assume that finally Black Magic and White Magic casting animations are to be separated into unique styles? Also, what about the over-used generic weapon swings with Discipline of War classes - a la Fast Blade > Savage Blade being the same animation.

So far much has been said about 2.0 featuring a "flashy, speedy" combat system, but I can't help but feel that if there aren't unique animations for weapon skills it will not reach that "flashy" element they aim for.

Thanks!

In regards to the animation system, I remember in one of the E3 interviews about Yoshida talking about that issue, might have been the 4gamer Japanese interview since that interview went pretty in depth from a technical standpoint but basic gist is they are remodeling their whole animation pipeline for 2.0 as it was the primary (yes primary) reason for movement lock as it had nothing to do with the server waiting on the player. Its going to use a more transitional animation engine where it tries to seamlessly change the animations based on a player input.

With current version if one animation is completed it can’t get into the next animation. For that in 2.0 FFXIV we’re rebuilding everything so for the response times it will improve greatly.

From Yoshida when talking about movement lock in the 4gamer interview. After this Yoshida was pressed on whether this meant animations between animations, he responded with this.

You will be able to. We made a feature where you can blend in new animations. From there it depends on how much you crazy moves can be allowed. We’re testing to see how much we can blend without breaking the image Final Fantasy fans has.

So at least your complaint in question 1 has already been answered elsewhere :) In that same interview Yoshida mentioned that they are working on the animation pipeline right now for mouse and keyboard users to make it as clean as possible where a user isn't left waiting trying to move the character due to animation issues.

I suppose the question can still be asked but I am fairly certain the BLM spell casting animation we saw in the 2.0 images might actually be a battle regimen. Yoshida mentioned the regimen would be similar in scope/visual flare as some of the more comparable high end attacks in previous Final Fantasies (limit breaks etc.) The image of the BLM casting on the mandies has special lighting that denotes a thematic change in the combat more then just a simple attack.

Jijidasu

In regards to the animation system, I remember in one of the E3 interviews about Yoshida talking about that issue, might have been the 4gamer Japanese interview since that interview went pretty in depth from a technical standpoint but basic gist is they are remodeling their whole animation pipeline for 2.0 as it was the primary (yes primary) reason for movement lock as it had nothing to do with the server waiting on the player. Its going to use a more transitional animation engine where it tries to seamlessly change the animations based on a player input.

From Yoshida when talking about movement lock in the 4gamer interview. After this Yoshida was pressed on whether this meant animations between animations, he responded with this.

So at least your complaint in question 1 has already been answered elsewhere :) In that same interview Yoshida mentioned that they are working on the animation pipeline right now for mouse and keyboard users to make it as clean as possible where a user isn't left waiting trying to move the character due to animation issues.

I suppose the question can still be asked but I am fairly certain the BLM spell casting animation we saw in the 2.0 images might actually be a battle regimen. Yoshida mentioned the regimen would be similar in scope/visual flare as some of the more comparable high end attacks in previous Final Fantasies (limit breaks etc.) The image of the BLM casting on the mandies has special lighting that denotes a thematic change in the combat more then just a simple attack.

Oh cheers for the heads up! I must have over looked that.

Still hoping for some diverse casting animations/WS/attack animations though!

Sin

Not too bad, yourself?

And of course, I'll pass that right along to Yoshida-san. I'm doing my E3 follow-up interview with him :)

Much appreciated, Kag. Looking forward to your interview.

I've been alright, busy with work and FFXIV Hehe

I see a Kagari Ashua in my Linkshell... :eek:

omlet

Anyone got any last minute questions for Yoshida-san? I'm sending up some in a bit.

As a followup to what Yoshida said about load times if it's not too late, I am curious about their plans for file structure of the game itself. Currently, my XIV folder is about 12GB of data but that's in 185,877 files. One hundred and eighty five thousand! Compared to, say, TERA which is 25GB in 6378 files or D3 which is 8GB in 65 files.

My guess is that it may have something to do with the limited memory on the PS3 (so lots of small files loaded on demand rather than larger data files cached in memory), but are they planning to restructure the file system of the game to be a little more non-SSD friendly for PCs with more memory than a PS3? Load times are painful on my PC, and crowded areas also generate big HDD load lag. :eek:

Edit: btw dotties, this is Mishaela checking in, finally! :eek:

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Much appreciated, Kag. Looking forward to your interview.

I've been alright, busy with work and FFXIV Hehe

I see a Kagari Ashua in my Linkshell... :eek:

Yep! I joined the server and linkshell you and Gromph are on and added you to my friends list :)

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Oh lame - why did you guys go to the fake GAF server? :\

I can't join Sarganas... (I can give you in private my reasons)

and all battle level 50 almost all crafts at 50, the lower one is BSM 43, and the last DoL is min 46 .. plus my near 700 millions of gil make me stay in Masamune :)

kiryogi

Banned
I can't join Sarganas... (I can give you in private my reasons)

and all battle level 50 almost all crafts at 50, the lower one is BSM 43, and the last DoL is min 46 .. plus my near 700 millions of gil make me stay in Masamune :)

I understand you guys, but Kagari :eek:

Generally as a mage you never draw your weapon. Granted, I levelled both of mine when we still had no auto attack and we used to spamm darts to attack.

But in endgame on both WHM and BLM I can't even remember the last time I drew my weapon, really no reason to because you wont regain any mp.

Before when Block was a skill anybody could use, you could draw your weapon as a mage so you can use your shield to Block. That's all gone now of course.

N.A

Banned
Skirmish

In the cooperative spirit of the Eorzean Alliance, the Grand Companies of each nation are working together to devise a series of joint military exercises.

Wild creatures handpicked for their ferocity and robustness have been transported to uninhabited islands in the Cieldalaes, where they will be released in order to produce actual combat conditions. The alliance is currently planning two varieties of drills, with an eye to foster battlefield flexibility within its ranks.

5263_0.jpg

Locke’s Lie

On this island, the objective is to defeat innumerable enemies in the midst of reduced battlefield visibility imposed by the rocky terrain. This drill tests a squad’s ability to quickly locate and eliminate a large number of foes within the specified time limit.

Turtleback Island

On this tiny, flat slab of rock, soldiers must survive and repel an onrush of massive opponents.
With maneuverability severely limited, this drill tests a squad’s defensive capabilities, as well as their capacity to strategically adapt to a variety of foes.

Participation and Objectives

Skirmish is designed for parties consisting of 4 to 8 Disciples of War or Magic of level 45 or higher. 

All party members must be affiliated with one of the Grand Companies. It is not necessary, however, for every member of the party to belong to the same organization.

Players meeting these conditions can participate in Skirmish by speaking with Storm Captain Loetahlsyn, who is stationed on the lower decks in Limsa Lominsa.

The objective is simple: defeat all enemies within the 30-minute time limit.
While all your opponents will be powerful creatures of notorious monster strength, the rewards will be equal to the risks—claiming victory may well earn you weapons of uncommon quality.

Assemble your stout-hearted companions, and win your place among the alliance elite!

5263_1.jpg

5263_2.jpg
5263_3.jpg

5263_4.jpg
5263_5.jpg
5263_6.jpg

5263_7.jpg

Munba

Those islands are actually new "areas"? We saw the maps time ago but dunno if they are used so far. Nice though.

HAttyboy

Hey, Can I join the Linkshell on Masamune? Nick:"Shelke Nyan"

And I want some tips on how to level fast, havent played since the release.

meep!

Neo Member
Oooh those weapons look delicious!
I wonder how hard they will be to obtain.

This is coming in the late july patch right?

Teknoman

Now this sounds interesting. Plus I dont think i've seen palm trees in Eorzea before.

...Paladin better not get the shaft here. Think those weapons will have some sort of water element effect?

Allard

Now this sounds interesting. Plus I dont think i've seen palm trees in Eorzea before.

...Paladin better not get the shaft here. Think those weapons will have some sort of water element effect?

I'm curious what the stat 'theme' in general is going to be on these weapons, since almost every new weapon set had a theme thus far. Class weapons were... class weapons, first round of high GC weapons it was sanction and the most recent batch it was set bonus. For the Primal Weapons; Attack + DMG (Fire added) for Ifrit, Mog was Accuracy and recovery on hit (MP and HP), Garuda it was about speed on top of the wind damage. I also hope they are not the only thing we can get from this event as its getting a bit tiring for all the major rewards to be just weapons. As for the weapons they kind of look like a deaspected or non functioning crystal, I wonder if parts of them might glow when in active mode. The two staffs at least look like they could.

Riposte

Kagari, am I too late? I realllllly want to know which achievements, or really titles, are being made inaccessible. How will cutscenes based on old areas work?

Riposte

I haven't been really involved with the linkshell lately (when I'm online I tend to just do leves for the title), but I really want to get shit done before 2.0. I don't even want gear, just clears (especially Garuda). I'm knee deep in Dragon's Dogma right now, but I'll put that down if I know when stuff is going on.

Allard

I haven't been really involved with the linkshell lately (when I'm online I tend to just do leves for the title), but I really want to get shit done before 2.0. I don't even want gear, just clears (especially Garuda). I'm knee deep in Dragon's Dogma right now, but I'll put that down if I know when stuff is going on.

I play FFXIV exclusively just to prepare my character for 2.0. I want to leave a couple crafting classes and 1 gathering classes on top of at least 3-4 combat classes in the lower levels so I can experience the new content, but other then that I want lvl 50's in 'most' my crafts so I can get cracking on making houses when 2.0 launches. Got nearly 4 crafts lvl 45+ now, and 2 more in the 30's, got Botanist at lvl 42 and Miner at lvl 50. But lately I have been getting worn out from the game from playing it nearly 3 months straight. Went back to Swtor for a bit for a break XD. I used to use WoW for that 'break' but lately I find that game more of a chore then FFXIV, just have no will to level characters.

Jinko

Which Garuda ? I dont' see us downing hard mode any time soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom