• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lancer has Combos; the other two don't.

Archer does too.. but it doesn't always get triggered. (gloom arrow has a percentage chance of leading to a combo into heavier shot, which is a guaranteed critical hit)

Lancer true thrust skill is 100% chance to combo from if it hits.

Conjurer gets screwed at the moment..

Salaadin

That would be a huge understatement. Performance is through the roof compared to the previous incarnation and I have everything maxed at 1080P and 60 FPS.

My experiences have been the opposite. I needed a good amount of tweaking just to get above 30 FPS regularly. Im hoping the optimizations seen in later engine builds help me out. Unless theres something else at play thats significantly hurting my performance.

The battle looks better than I thought, but I am still not happy with 4 second skill cooldown. I think they should either take it out or make it 2 seconds. It makes battle feel too slow.

hopefully its adjusted in the beta and final version.

4 sec is the max, GCD could go lower with higher levels or gear.

Jinko

My experiences have been the opposite. I needed a good amount of tweaking just to get above 30 FPS regularly. Im hoping the optimizations seen in later engine builds help me out. Unless theres something else at play thats significantly hurting my performance.

What CPU/GPU/Memory you using ?

Thats what I thought too.

Id go into more detail but Im afraid of saying too much. I do plan on making a post on the forums and seeing if anyone else has these problems and can help me out.

Have you tried different drivers to see if performance changes? I've got a 6970 and I'll be baffled if I can't run this maxed out at a good clip

Salaadin

Have you tried different drivers to see if performance changes? I've got a 6970 and I'll be baffled if I can't run this maxed out at a good clip

I thought about it but Im using the current Nvidia drivers and this version works good for all the games Im playing so I didnt want to change just for FFXIV and run the risk of having other issues pop up. If I have time on the weekend, maybe Ill roll back just to do some testing and see.

I might be a special case though so I wouldnt worry too much if I were you. Ill tinker around some and see if I can get anywhere.

Lord Phol

I really like the presentation and feel of this game just by looking at videos. This might be just what I need to cure my MMO and general gaming fatigue.
I'm still a bit cautious about jumping on the hype train though, do you guys think A Realm Reborn has any chance to succeed? Also has anything been said about a release date yet?

They're shooting for summer of 2013..

Based on what I've played of the Alpha and what I've seen from Yoshi-P and the dev team, I think it may actually have a chance.

I don't think they'll hit WoW numbers or anything close.. but I think they'll have a decent player base if things keep improving.

Salaadin

I really like the presentation and feel of this game just by looking at videos. This might be just what I need to cure my MMO and general gaming fatigue.
I'm still a bit cautious though, but do you guys think A Realm Reborn has any chance to succeed? Also has anything been said about a release date yet?

Release date is early next year, I believe. I think the beta is slated for January.

As far as success goes, theyve done a remarkable job at keeping whats left of the playerbase happy while keeping others optimistic with their changes and openness about whats going on. Its been fun to follow. They also still havent tapped into the PS3 players yet. That could help them out a lot depending on how many people there still care. PS2 was huge for FFXI for a while.

I think that handling ARR as a re-launch is the best they couldve done too. Forget the old version and treat this as a new game.

I do wonder how itll fare as a subscription based MMO in todays F2P world.

Lord Phol

They're shooting for summer of 2013..

Based on what I've played of the Alpha and what I've seen from Yoshi-P and the dev team, I think it may actually have a chance.

I don't think they'll hit WoW numbers or anything close.. but I think they'll have a decent player base if things keep improving.

Summer 2013 eh, so thats about 6 months then.. I think I can keep myself occupied until then!
Sounds good, not expecting it to be near wow numbers, but hopefully numbers big enough to keep SE happy and for it to have a nice and diverse community.

Release date is early next year, I believe. I think the beta is slated for January.

As far as success goes, theyve done a remarkable job at keeping whats left of the playerbase happy while keeping others optimistic with their changes and openness about whats going on. Its been fun to follow. They also still havent tapped into the PS3 players yet. That could help them out a lot depending on how many people there still care. PS2 was huge for FFXI for a while.

I think that handling ARR as a re-launch is the best they couldve done too. Forget the old version and treat this as a new game.

Good to hear it's getting such positive responses, re-launches of this kind rarely end well but this on the other hand looks to be doing everything right.
Thanks for the answers, you guys got me interested! Will keep an eye on it without spoilering too much. Don't want to get get burned out before the game is even released, a mistake I've made much too often lately.

Allard

I think the greatest boon they have done to this game's potential success has been the openness and the appearance they intend to make this game last. I think some of the biggest failures of the Pay to Play games that get forced to go F2P is they often get put in that position because players wonder if the game they are playing even has a future due to unfinished promises and reluctance to divulge the direction they want to take the game well past launch (and the inability for players to trust those promises would actually come to fruition). I know that thought crossed my mind constantly while playing SWTOR after the first month or two (I knew little about what was coming in the next patch much less the direction they wanted to expand the game, in fact I still don't know) but it has yet to cross my mind for RIFT even since launch because of how quick they are to add new content and adjust the game.

The fact that we know 1) they are putting a lot of effort into reviving a near dead game shows they want to work on fixing problems rather then burying them and 2) they have given detailed plans on the direction they want to take the game from launch to even several years from now even going as far as talking about potential features they want to implement in expansion packs down the line. When the game launched I didn't think this was possible, I thought it was doomed to a smaller audience, the development crew would get smaller and smaller because of shortened funding leading to slower addition of content to the eventual stagnation and end of the game, but in December when they came out emphatically wanting to retool the very foundation of the game it alleviated those worries.

Stability and Awareness are the only ways a Pay to Play game has a future, people are not going to pay a monthly fee not knowing what is coming in the future to play, nor can they expect friends to join and form a community for the same reasons.

No confirmation on the twitter account about invites going out today, I wonder if they didn't bother lol.

There was a correction, it sounds like they are expected to go out tomorrow.

Allard

I wonder when they will release that benchmark program. I really want to try it out

My guess is sometime between the end of Alpha and the start of Beta, they are starting to do the type of testing normally reserved for the end of an Open Beta so my guess is Alpha will end sometime next week and there will be a period of time between Alpha and beta for optimization and then Beta will start sometime in mid January.... in other words I think the benchmark will either come before or after the 'holidays'.

Chris R

They're getting 34 exp per kill because the monster is lv 8 and the player is lv 15 hehe

If it was on-level or higher, you'd be seeing exp chains building giving up to a 50% exp bonus per kill at chain 5.

Looked for a character level and didn't see it but that is good to here. I just saw how much exp each kill was rewarding and then saw how much exp was required to level and kinda blanked out :(

Looked for a character level and didn't see it but that is good to here. I just saw how much exp each kill was rewarding and then saw how much exp was required to level and kinda blanked out :(

It's below their exp bar at the bottom of the screen, but yeah :)

Kokonoe

Banned
SE, remember all the people I got to play FFXI? Remember the years I stayed on a subscription? Do you remember when I purchased the 80$ collector's edition of FFXIV at launch?

Well, if you don't, boo!

Xux

Managed to grind Botanist to 18 (no Fieldcraft Leves and competing for nodes in the Alpha were sort of discouraging) for the level 30 Stealth upgrade so I could explore. Found the church looking place from the official website's screenshots, Sylphs, two different bandit groups with two camps each, a goblin camp, the paths to Ul'dah and Mor Dhona, and two NPC-less Aetheryte Camps. Pretty neat stuff.

YES! I'm officially in now and can stop using my wife's account. I can also do some testing with party mechanics now that we're both in. I would love to try the dungeon.

Moonkeis

I haven't gotten an invite yet but my buddy gave me access to his. :D

I'm loving it so far, it feels really polished for an alpha.

Mastamind

Is there anywhere i can get caught up with the storyline for 1.0 (maybe with the cutscenes). I didnt get to finish the storyline during the time i played.

Teknoman

Count me in with the people that think even in this state, the game looks really nice. Wont say too much, but the sense of adventure is definitely there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom