• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Count me in with the people that think even in this state, the game looks really nice. Wont say too much, but the sense of adventure is definitely there now.

Nothing like exploring dangerous areas to get the blood pumping..

"weakness" may as well be a permanent status effect as far as my character is concerned ^^

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
How does one attempt to get in the Alpha?

Is there a sign up? Does one just need to have a Square Enix Account with FFXIV registered to it? I'm very keen on getting in.

Ravidrath

Just got my invite...

How long does it take to download the client, and how much space does it take up?

I really don't know if I have time for this. :\

Salaadin

Just got my invite...

How long does it take to download the client, and how much space does it take up?

I really don't know if I have time for this. :\

Decent speeds on the download and its only 3.5GBs. I started it and checked back in an hour and it was done.

Don't feel too bad, I don't think my PC is going to play it anyway :(

Guess I know what will be #1 on my santa list.

What happened to your old FFXIV 1.0 PC? Didnt you used to have a decent rig?

Jinko

What happened to your old FFXIV 1.0 PC? Didnt you used to have a decent rig?

It died, so using a £300 laptop at the moment, surprisingly it does play it (intel intergrated chipset) its however on the low side of the framerate lol.

I'm on Bahamut also, Jinko Jinko as usual.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
For people getting invites, were you paying subscribers to FFXIV up until the servers went down?

gillty

Banned
In! last two exams tonight, zee friends flying out for home, got nothing but time on my hands :).

Grim Fandango as always.

edit: Moogle as well.

NinjaJesus

It died, so using a £300 laptop at the moment, surprisingly it does play it (intel intergrated chipset) its however on the low side of the framerate lol.

I'm on Bahamut also, Jinko Jinko as usual.

Ha, I ran by you just a sec ago. My character is Final Boss.

Mrg8523-

Finally got a chance to play today after being invited late last week. I enjoyed my few hours with it much much more than I did when 1.0 first came out.

Fans of XI and XIV scare me a bit. I was reading through the forum and they all seem to be stuck in 2003. They all love the old mechanics from back in the day that made MMOs tedious for me and seem to hate most "post-Word of Warcraft" features that seem to be standard in every MMO.

Xux

Darn, seem to be the only one here on Chocobo. Guess that's what I get for not reading the forums first, lol.

Teknoman

Finally got a chance to play today after being invited late last week. I enjoyed my few hours with it much much more than I did when 1.0 first came out.

Fans of XI and XIV scare me a bit. I was reading through the forum and they all seem to be stuck in 2003. They all love the old mechanics from back in the day that made MMOs tedious for me and seem to hate most "post-Word of Warcraft" features that seem to be standard in every MMO.

Eh, Yoshi-P and crew seem to know what to take from the older series and what to improve upon/revamp, as well as what user requests to take into account. I wouldnt worry much about stubborn fans (even though some of the old mechanics with improvements could work today).

Ravidrath

It's... it's glorious.

And, uh... damn, this runs so much better than the original game it's not even funny.

I was constantly needing to adjust my settings in the original game to get it to run responsively at all, and I can max them out in 2.0 without breaking a sweat.

Teknoman

Im getting between 20 and high 30 at times with everything maxed aside from shadow res (at medium). Either need a new video card, just this build, or its just ATI being ATI again (4870 2GB). Sometimes it drops to the teens but its for like a split second or so.

Of course it is nice to have AO maxed, and still get a decent framerate.

Ravidrath

That seems... wrong, because I'm on a laptop with a 1 GB mobile GPU.

I'm not getting a perfect 60 FPS or anything, but it runs as well or better with everything maxed than 1.0 did with middling settings.

gillty

Banned
Discussing framerate without mentioning resolution is pointless.

A 4870 was a still a great card four years ago, just as my 5830 was decent 3 years ago. However, I wouldn't dream of driving any recent game maxed out with either card anywhere near max at say 1920x1080. Thankfully I'm still driving 1680x1050 monitors so its still adequate for most games and certainly at that resolution comparing vram over 1GB is pretty pointless.

Ravidrath

Good point.

I'm running 2.0 at 1680x1050, with just about everything maxed.

It runs better than 1.0 running at a lower rendering res with middling settings. I think I ultimately settled on 2 notches of drawing quality below standard (which I think was 75% of the window res?) in 1.0, with no AA or anything to improve the rendering quality.

Jinko

Im getting between 20 and high 30 at times with everything maxed aside from shadow res (at medium). Either need a new video card, just this build, or its just ATI being ATI again (4870 2GB). Sometimes it drops to the teens but its for like a split second or so.

Of course it is nice to have AO maxed, and still get a decent framerate.

Chances are its your CPU, from whats been said *cough* you know where, 2.0 is more dependent on processing power. ( 1.0 was using shaders for everything remember :p)

As said above though 4870 would prob be better suited to 720p @ max settings.

Just ordered my new PC should be here tomorrow yay !

raven777

man I really wish I had FFXIV account so I can get an invite.

I am a bit worried that someone with 660ti had frame issues. I was expecting to run it on full spec in 1920X1080 with my 660ti.

Woke up to a ARR e-mail, got my hopes up then read it.

"We are recruiting! Apply for ARR alpha!"

FU S-E is all I was thinking at this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom