• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salaadin

Reported thread to SE. I will not stand idly by and watch this go on!

:p

Just found out today that my bro in law got in. He was a huge supporter of the game since launch so I was actually glad for him. I felt kinda bad when I got in after roughly 5 months back and hes been playing for 2 years and got passed over.

Velocity

I received an invite today for the alpha test. Thread is tl:dr, so how many GAFfers are in the alpha? Is there a particular server we're grouping on? I'm still in the download stages for my client update, but I'd like to play with everyone again.

Cmagus

FINAL FANTASY XIV ‏@FF_XIV_EN

Another wave of Alpha Tester invites went out early this morning. Check your email! If not yet chosen, another selection takes place 12/6!

I received an invite today for the alpha test. Thread is tl:dr, so how many GAFfers are in the alpha? Is there a particular server we're grouping on? I'm still in the download stages for my client update, but I'd like to play with everyone again.

I'd like to know this as well. I went to Moogle, but don't have any particular attachment to my test character.

Kandinsky

People are actually scared of sharing alpha info over here?, do you really think SE gives a shit about checking this thread?, seriously?. Come on we shared everything for 1.0 alpha 2.5 years ago!.

raven777

The battle looks better than I thought, but I am still not happy with 4 second skill cooldown. I think they should either take it out or make it 2 seconds. It makes battle feel too slow.

hopefully its adjusted in the beta and final version.

Looks really good (other than the 34 exp per kill bit!). Can't wait to see more from the beta and when it is actually out!

They're getting 34 exp per kill because the monster is lv 8 and the player is lv 15 hehe

If it was on-level or higher, you'd be seeing exp chains building giving up to a 50% exp bonus per kill at chain 5.

Kandinsky

i like how everything looks fast and smooth, really diggin the quest interface even if it's not really unique it works and that's what matters, combat on the other hand looks dull especially for mages, still alpha so let's wait and see. Cool video.

Meicyn

Gold Member
The battle looks better than I thought, but I am still not happy with 4 second skill cooldown. I think they should either take it out or make it 2 seconds. It makes battle feel too slow.

No thanks. I used to feel similar about MMO combat systems needing to be more actiony along with the need to remove auto-attack, but I've come to appreciate a slightly less frantic pace. Playing several faster-paced MMOs and MMOs with no auto-attack have made me realize this.

For what it's worth, the global cooldown is actually 3 seconds for abilities on lancer. You can see this in the tooltips when those abilities are highlighted.

Gonna miss Tera combat... looks great none the less.
I'm thinking things will look a bit frantic with those huge flashy effects flying all over the place in a full party.
Also I think that giant QUEST ACCEPTED text with the accompanying fanfare will get old pretty soon. Especially if that's going to be the main way of level progression.

Having said that, it's soooo pretty..

Xux

Surprised how good the Alpha looks on my shitty old PC (GeForce 8600GT, Dual-Core Processor, Windows XP etc.) Then again, I was also surprised the original ran at all, lol.

I doubt that the global cooldown will become any lower. Remember that battles have to also cater to gamepad slowpokes.

Xux

So the performance has improved?
I don't know about frame rate or whatever but this Alpha looks better (the environmental lighting goes a long way) and runs just as smooth if not better. Though, a lot of it could just be design. Softer colors and the fact that the Aetheryte camps are all pretty detailed and unique definitely help the aesthetics.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Quests are set out much better now, glad there is a choice of rewards, game is shaping up nicely. :)

P.s. Its the 6th here and I didn't get in again. :(

Yea it look pretty influenced by FFXII.

No, the mails are still not send.

Jinko

From what I can see there are no Combo's in the Alpha version, that will speed things up once they are back in (assuming they are coming back)

Munba

Benchmanrk first show:
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog

JP20121206_1.jpg

JP20121206_2.jpg

New Uldah seems nice.. :0

So the performance has improved?

That would be a huge understatement. Performance is through the roof compared to the previous incarnation and I have everything maxed at 1080P and 60 FPS.

I like how the text bubbles for the NPCs look. The new soundtrack additions are giving me a Tactics Ogre/ FFXII vibe.

It's beautiful and so much easier to read than the old interface. It even changes dynamically at times like when you're reading a letter the edges will change to something like torn paper (am I allowed to say that? lol).

I actually enjoy reading all the NPC dialogue now, which is very well written, more entertaining, and a lot more succinct. I found the dialogue in 1.0 to be uninteresting and very long winded at times. That's not the case here.

From what I can see there are no Combo's in the Alpha version, that will speed things up once they are back in (assuming they are coming back)

Lancer has Combos; the other two don't.

Archer has combos. I haven't discovered any on Conjurer yet. From what I have been reading the combat will probably evolve quite a bit from now until the end of beta.

Kokonoe

Banned
Ah, that's good to see, thank you for the information. Maybe I won't have to upgrade my Nvidia Geforce GTX 460 after all. (the card I bought to play FFXIV originally)

Jinko

Curious to see how this plays on a laptop with an intel GPU lol, 1.0 wouldn't even play on an intel based graphics chip.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom