• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riposte

No controller support right?

Also my mouse disappears in full screen. I can't find the bug thread for this.

XI's battle (and job) system fell to pieces after level 60. It just got worse and worse.

Xux

Damn, DoMs seem kinda weak. CNJ doesn't exactly scream solo or DD but I just had my first levequest where I didn't finish with a time bonus and the level 15 quest is exponentially harder to solo than the ARC one since you're fighting two specifically anti-mage enemies. Kind of annoying.

On that note, Lancer is ridiculously strong once you can combo even with comboed WSs not being free in this version.

Riposte

If they wanted to immediately differentiate the game in terms of the kinds of quests you'd expect from MMOs, I don't think they did a good job.

Teknoman

I'm in the Alpha as well.

It certainly looks really nice. I am on Moogle my character is Carue Corova if anyone else is on Moogle.

Stefan™;45344164 said:
Just got an invite!

Yay, i got in finally! :)

I got an invite too. Looks like everyone's getting in.

Woo-hoo, I'm in.

Congrats everyone....go moogle.

Jinko

Damn, DoMs seem kinda weak.

Was the same in 1.0 though, some leves were piece of cake and others were much more difficult depending on what you had to fight.

Gratz to everyone who got in, add me to friends list if you start on bahamut and we can do Tam Tam at some point :D

If they wanted to immediately differentiate the game in terms of the kinds of quests you'd expect from MMOs, I don't think they did a good job.

Yea its pretty standard cookie cutter stuff, but I expect that's what they were aiming for.

Teknoman

Figured out my problem: Turned the low LOD on distant objects feature back on, shadows down to medium res, and left everything else maxed out/on. Looks great and super smooth.

Xux

Was the same in 1.0 though, some leves were piece of cake and others were much more difficult depending on what you had to fight.
It's just weird that the level 15 CNJ quest monsters completely debilitate my CNJ but my LNC destroyed them in about 15 seconds.

I don't think that was the intention. At least now that Niinou is on there I expect quest be way better (if not by release in next patches)

Nerdy Fergy

Neo Member
I had to make sure that I really did apply to the alpha. Turns out I did, but I just didn't have the best luck. Oh well. Maybe I will have better luck with the beta.

Jinko

Got my new PC parts today.

i5 3450 quad core, 8 gbs ram and 4870 runs at 1080p max settings (20-30 fps) will need to upgrade graphics card in the new year I guess, but will do for now.

Can't wait for this game to go live.

Salaadin

Got my new PC parts today.

i5 3450 quad core, 8 gbs ram and 4870 runs at 1080p max settings (20-30 fps) will need to upgrade graphics card in the new year I guess, but will do for now.

Can't wait for this game to go live.
Grats!

Turning on the "Low poly models for distant objects" or whatever its called will probably get you 5-10 more fps. Thats how it is for me.

Have they said at all if the Alpha version we are playing is unoptimized? I still wonder if the Beta will bring any engine improvements with it or has all that been implemented.

Riposte

This runs better than 1.0 I think, but I can't get over 25 FPS with good settings on. My PC is getting old ;_;

I'm on Moogle btw. Sorry.

Salaadin

Yeah using LOD gives you a nice boost. Also I'm sure the game will be better optimized by the release.

Yeah, I might just turn that on and cap the fps at 30. Id rather a solid 30 than a 60 with drops. With some minor tweaking, I think this can happen.
I thought it was nice that they have framerate caps built right in.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, I might just turn that on and cap the fps at 30. Id rather a solid 30 than a 60 with drops. With some minor tweaking, I think this can happen.
I thought it was nice that they have framerate caps built right in.

Conversely, it's kind of funny how fast some things will run with the cap set to unlimited. I've seen as high as 450fps in the login and character creation screens.

Jinko

Grats!

Turning on the "Low poly models for distant objects" or whatever its called will probably get you 5-10 more fps. Thats how it is for me.

Have they said at all if the Alpha version we are playing is unoptimized? I still wonder if the Beta will bring any engine improvements with it or has all that been implemented.

Yea looking at my usage, CPU is at 36% and GPU is 99% :p

You are right though LoD does give a good boost to FPS.

Crafting is pretty awesome btw guys :D

Ravidrath

Grats!

I think they've said that the optimization isn't complete yet, and they expect further performance improvements before release.

...Which is amazing, because if this is "unoptimized" then what the hell was 1.0?

Crafting is pretty awesome btw guys :D

Everyone says this, which makes me wonder what the changes are... and those are probably not something we should discuss.

Is it just a matter of speed, flow and the new ability paradigm?

I think they've said that the optimization isn't complete yet, and they expect further performance improvements before release.

...Which is amazing, because if this is "unoptimized" then what the hell was 1.0?

FF XIV 1.0 engine is probably one of the worst in the entire gen, what a mess.

Ravidrath

FF XIV 1.0 engine is probably one of the worst in the entire gen, what a mess.

Yeah, it's really "impressive" that they managed to screw up the 1.0 engine so badly.

And it was even worse at launch, amazingly - a patch about two weeks after release improved my performance by 25% or more.

Salaadin

Conversely, it's kind of funny how fast some things will run with the cap set to unlimited. I've seen as high as 450fps in the login and character creation screens.

Lol. I have Vsync on all the time regardless so my fps never even goes above 60, even at the title screen.

Yea looking at my usage, CPU is at 36% and GPU is 99% :p

Lol. Fry an egg on that GPU!

Everyone says this, which makes me wonder what the changes are... and those are probably not something we should discuss.

I didnt have too many issues with 1.0 once the playerbase died off. That engine could not handle large crowds. Such a pain.

Also echoing your sentiments on crafting. I really need to try that out already.

Ravidrath

I didnt have too many issues with 1.0 once the playerbase died off. That engine could not handle large crowds. Such a pain.

Yeah, the engine for 1.0 was completely fucked up, priority-wise - they were completely focused on rendering huge distances without LOD, pretty much at the expense of everything else in the game, and most importantly, characters.

And the fact that a "huge crowd" was 40 characters since they had a hard cap on the number of characters rendered makes it even more amazing.

Allard

It's all the above plus one other note worthy addition; attributes matter. Updating crafting gear is going to be very important if crafting stays as is at launch, especially for HQ crafting.

Ravidrath

Definitely glad to hear about the crafting changes - it's amazing what the XIV community will resist, when the improvements are obvious just reading about them.

How anyone thought arbitrarily limiting you to 5 abilities that you an only use once was good design is beyond me. Yet people fought it, like they do everything else they propose, just because it's different.

I'm definitely glad for Yoshi-P, especially in that he actually seems to understand which feedback he should listen to and which he should ignore.

How about gathering? Is it as much of an improvement over crafting? If anything, I expect it to be an even bigger improvement?

Mature

How about gathering? Is it as much of an improvement over crafting? If anything, I expect it to be an even bigger improvement?
Is this available in the Alpha? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

They really need to give all of fisher a paradigm shift. To make it, you know, fun.

omlet

It's all the above plus one other note worthy addition; attributes matter. Updating crafting gear is going to be very important if crafting stays as is at launch, especially for HQ crafting.

Attributes mattered in 1.x! Just...... you couldn't really tell how they mattered. :D

(Well, I crafted a ton, so I could tell how certain things worked but I had nothing scientific to back up my claims. Base stats did help boost quality and crafting stats did matter in regards to overall synth progress, quality, and stability, but it was anyone's guess how effective X points of Y crafting stat really were. Skills definitely did matter and after the revamp they mattered even more, but the system was still quite obtuse.)

Jinko

Is this available in the Alpha? I haven't heard anything about it yet.

They really need to give all of fisher a paradigm shift. To make it, you know, fun.

Yea botanist is in the Alpha, Im guna give it a quick try now, fishing is being completely redone, no more spearfishing either.

There was a video a while back showing gathering, I think it was in one of the live letters.

Edit:- It's pretty amazing tbh, so different than 1.0 and you can actually select what you want to gather, so no more gathering stuff you don't need. (you really have to try this when you get the chance)

Mrg8523-

I just tried crafting and gathering. Gathering is much improved from what I remember. You right click a node and it will bring up a menu of all the items you can gather from it and your % chance to gather it. All you do is click which item you want and it will do the gathering animation. If you succeed, you get the item you picked. I was getting 5-6 gathers per node.

Crafting, the actual crafting part, is the same from what I remember of early 1.0. You pick what type of synthesis you preform. I only had standard available at a low level. I'm assuming you unlock the others as you level. The durability goes down as you synthesis it and you have to finish making the item before it reaches 0. The much improved part is the crafting menu. You get a list of all available things you can make and the required materials. No more putting random items in to see if it makes an item.

Riposte

The quest design in ARR is everything I didn't want it to be. Quantity over quality. Guildleves, basically. Can only hope this is just what the game is like for the first 10 or 20 levels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom