• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

I definitely feel like 2.0 has a sense of exploration that was sorely missing from both 1.0 and even XI.

That's the main reason I stopped playing the alpha - there aren't that many places to go, and that's what I'm most interested in doing right now.

It really does, especially with the extra feeling of freedom jump gives you.

I am on Moogle my name is Carue Corova. Although I am not on right now I will be in like 2-3 hours from now.

Yeah I have been like everywhere at this point even through the high end areas some of them were pure luck though

Add me if I dont add you first. Teknoman Blade.

EDIT: I'm wondering how it'll feel to be thrust back into the game our actual characters. Every skill will most likely function a little differently, so I guess we'll have to learn everything from scratch...no matter the level.

Ala Alba

EDIT: I'm wondering how it'll feel to be thrust back into the game our actual characters. Every skill will most likely function a little differently, so I guess we'll have to learn everything from scratch...no matter the level.

A least a little differently. Some skills seem completely different, and then there are the added skills like Water...

I'm not spending too much time playing the Alpha, but I'm pretty sure the Beta will suck me in (though I hope not too much, given it's just the Beta)...

Jijidasu

YoshiP confirmed in game that fall damage is going to be implemented and invisible walls removed in beta. I was really annoyed that they came this far to implement jump only for it to be massively underwhelming due to the invisible walls in just about every place you'd expect to be able to jump from, but thank god they decided to fix it.

I still haven't tried the combat system as I haven't gotten into the alpha, so I'll save my judgment for when I do. I admit, I'm certain I don't want real actiony gameplay in a Final Fantasy MMO. At least, not like TERA.

I respectfully disagree, Tera combat on top of the FF job system/lore would be my perfect game.

I think that's one of the biggest problems for the design team. Not just the combat but the whole game. If they keep the game more like XI and XIV 1.0, like the current players seem to want, they'll keep the current subscribers happy but won't bring in anybody else. If they make it more modern, they'll bring in newer players but the old players will probably leave the game.

I think as long as the stories, quests and lore are typical FF quality, the old players won't go anywhere.

ARR combat system needs a lot of work imo, even if it is better than 1.0 at the moment.

Xux

They should have the Beta be Limsa Lominsa only and have the only battle class available be Marauder.

Oh, nice!
Here's the two posts about some changes for the Beta:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/3304-Dev.-Team-Feedback-Compilation
http://forum.square-enix.com/ARR-Test/threads/767

I'm really looking forward to this on top of Arcanist and cross-class ability list changes.

Jomjom

Banned
Woohoo just got my Alpha email!

I know it won't happen, but it would be awesome if they offered Alpha testers the Legacy thing. I forgot the date and missed it, even though I was playing at the time. =(

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Woohoo just got my Alpha email!

I know it won't happen, but it would be awesome if they offered Alpha testers the Legacy thing. I forgot the date and missed it, even though I was playing at the time. =(

You get legacy for subscribing back in march or something I missed it by 2 months :/

Munba

New developer blog post:
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/blog

JP20121214_2.jpg

Dungeon with puzzles? :D Woot.

Munba

Yup,

Greetings everyone!

Fernehalwes here again. I finally find a little time to sit down and start chipping away at the mountain of work piling up in my in-box, and what do you know? The BG team decides to have a full-blown rave party right behind my desk!

“How deep should this pit go?”
“Where do we put these impaling spikes?”
“Blah blah blah blah!”

Can’t you guys see I’m trying to think up witty quips to add to my next Developers’ Blog post!? Don’t make me come over ther—

Wait a minute...
Could that be...?

Those full-bodied locks...
Those scintillating accessories...
That aura of mystery...

/gulp

Why, hello, Yoshi-P! How are you doing this lovely day? Checking out the BG team’s work, are you? What do you know!? I was just marveling their work myself! A superb job, if I do say so. What’s that? Shut up and let you continue doing your final check of the new “ruins” dungeon? But of course, sir! My apologies! You know, those are some fine ruins there, yes indeed. And those puzzles! Boy, will the players love those puzz--

Fernehalwes

Ravidrath

Talking about pits and spikes gave me chills... I'm imagining an MMO version of Sen's Fortress in Dark Souls.

And not the good kind of chills. That kaizo shit is bad enough by yourself, but at least it's doable. I can't imagine something like that with 8 or more people.

Salaadin

Blog posts so far have been disappointing.

Yeah, theres not much substance to them.

I took the time again to screw around with the graphics settings and see if I can duplicate my weird FPS issues from last week. I cant.
Another thing I didnt mention last week was when I recorded video with MSI Afterburner as a test. The resulting footage came out choppy and unwatchable. I did the same thing yesterday and it was smooth. I think its time for me to scour this PC for any useless garbage I might have hanging around and clean this up a bit to make sure I dont have anything going on in the background while Im playing.

Im going to chalk it up to user error of some sort....either I had some background process running both times that was killing my performance or theres something else that I was overlooking. In any case, it seems ok now and Im happy with how its running.
I cranked up the settings to max and turned on "lower detail models for distance objects". That let me maintain 30-60 FPS the entire time...only seeing drops to the mid-20s during area loads, which isnt a huge problem for me.

Talking about pits and spikes gave me chills... I'm imagining an MMO version of Sen's Fortress in Dark Souls.

And not the good kind of chills. That kaizo shit is bad enough by yourself, but at least it's doable. I can't imagine something like that with 8 or more people.

You just know theres going to be *that* guy in your party who just cant make it over a spike pit no matter how many times he tries.

Oh god...add hard jumps and then you have the perfect mix for frustration and rage in random parties.

Kokonoe

Banned
You know, out of all the time I spent in FFXI, I never once got to see someone cast Tractor. I can't be bothered to go back and level up BLM or DRK for this, though.

Credo

I just got the alpha invite this morning and finished the download a while ago. I'll be on Bahamut as Dinadan Elessar if anyone wants to talk. I haven't played in so long that I can't remember how to do anything. I feel so lost!

I just got the alpha invite this morning and finished the download a while ago. I'll be on Bahamut as Dinadan Elessar if anyone wants to talk. I haven't played in so long that I can't remember how to do anything. I feel so lost!

It doesn't play anything like 1.0..

So you'll be fine :)

omlet

No invite from today's batch... maybe the next one. Would be nice to get to try a few things out and maybe give some feedback, but I don't really mind if I don't get in alpha.

You know, out of all the time I spent in FFXI, I never once got to see someone cast Tractor. I can't be bothered to go back and level up BLM or DRK for this, though.
Good ol' Tractor. Mostly saw it used for fun, but it did have practical applications and I used it for such on more than one occasion.

Tractor me to the boss please :D

Reminds me of the times falling in the poison with Thaddius/Naxxramas.
I never fell, I was a priest who never left home without a stack of light feathers :D

ebil

Music is really good. I really like the leve theme I am glad they are re-using some of the music from 1.0.
Agreed, I really like what Soken did with this one. I wonder if that's what he meant when he told something along the lines of "V1 music will still be in ARR, somehow" on the Japanese OF.

Salaadin

Ive seen and used it more as a shortcut through certain areas than I did as a method for pulling dead bodies away from aggro.

Theres in Yuhtunga Jungle where you can be tractored to a zone line into Temple Uggalepih and I think we used it in Garlaige too for getting into certain sections.

Music is really good.

I havent heard all of the music yet but so far, the Gridania town music is my favorite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom