• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalasta

Torquill said:
The intention may be that in a fully built economy you'd be selling those mats. Then, later, when you're the proper level for the gear they make, you buy the gear they make from the crafter.

The "synergy" of leveling, level of mats, gear, and recipies is likely built around z complex economy design. It's not built around a do everything yourself as you level up approach, which is the only option folks have ATM.

I'm curious what kind of cost effective dev approaches could have been taken to soften the initial growing pains.

Yeah, but who's going to buy them? There aren't too many 20+ crafters out there to make use of these items so I imagine the supply to be far greater than the demand. Plus a lot of the mats I referred to are easily obtainable by any gatherer regardless of the rank. Like I said, an item that can only be utilized by a rank 25 crafter should be only acquired by another class of a similar rank, rather than a rank 1 botanist.

Torquill

Zalasta said:
Yeah, but who's going to buy them? There aren't too many 20+ crafters out there to make use of these items so I imagine the supply to be far greater than the demand. Plus a lot of the mats I referred to are easily obtainable by any gatherer regardless of the rank. Like I said, an item that can only be utilized by a rank 25 crafter should be only acquired by another class of a similar rank, rather than a rank 1 botanist.
I don't agree with your premise that lower level chars shouldn't be able to get mats used in higher level crafts. When XI launched the fact that level peeps still needed crystals helped new comers get money to enter the economy.
( now the specifics in terms of what drops on what freq, can high levels also get them and in what freq, how useful is the items they make etc are all up for debate. I'm just sayin I don't agree with the general premise that a level or procuring a level 26 craftig item os wrong on principal alone)

Yes. Right now no one is buying them. Assumed the ecenomy was designed properly. That will not always be the case. What you are dealing with now are situaions that will only ever exist again on new servers. It's 0.001% of a servers economic life cycle.

zlatko

Banned
Okay this issue needs to be addressed ASAP by SquareEnix.

I'm wearing level 13 wristguards. I'm level 17. I look in a bazaar to see level 18 gloves favoring my class. I'm all HUZZAH because he's selling them cheap for 20,000 gil. I purchase a pair. I go into my inventory to equip and see the boost in defense/evasion...there is none. Equipping them at 17 gives me 3 less defense and 2 evasion I think it was. Now when I hit next level they'll probably give the same amount of defense/evasion as my current level 13 piece of gear.

So the bigger problem here is that it needs to show you EXACTLY how much you are going up or down in defense/evasion/etc when you see an item in someones bazaar. I can't just fuggin guess Square. :/

Ravidrath

zlatko said:
So the bigger problem here is that it needs to show you EXACTLY how much you are going up or down in defense/evasion/etc when you see an item in someones bazaar. I can't just fuggin guess Square. :/

Yeah, they definitely need to show us what their gear scaling is doing.

A lot of people are just buying anything they can find and wearing it thinking "eh, it's probably not that bad," when in reality it actually is.

If the game is grating on any of you, do what I'm doing: play infrequently and wait until the fixes come. Don't burn yourself out on the game prematurely when it could end up being your favorite game once shit actually works as it should.

Zalasta

Torquill said:
I don't agree with your premise that lower level chars shouldn't be able to get mats used in higher level crafts. When XI launched the fact that level peeps still needed crystals helped new comers get money to enter the economy.
( now the specifics in terms of what drops on what freq, can high levels also get them and in what freq, how useful is the items they make etc are all up for debate. I'm just sayin I don't agree with the general premise that a level or procuring a level 26 craftig item os wrong on principal alone)

Yes. Right now no one is buying them. Assumed the ecenomy was designed properly. That will not always be the case. What you are dealing with now are situaions that will only ever exist again on new servers. It's 0.001% of a servers economic life cycle.

Well, your crystal example is not a very good one. Crystals are used by crafters of all levels. Materials, on the other hand, are not and very often level specific. Furthermore, acquiring gil is a fairly arduous task in XI, where as in XIV it is quite abundant. Case in point, I already have 1 million gil in just 2 weeks of playing, where as in XI it took a combined effort between me and a friend over 5 months to amass the same amount. It's okay if you disagree, but the points you've made are not particularly well supported.

Salaadin

Ravidrath said:

A lot of people are just buying anything they can find and wearing it thinking "eh, it's probably not that bad," when in reality it actually is.

I havent had really any issues with it by just sticking to whatever gear is for my class and rank. Optimal Rank exists for a reason. Just because a rank 13 PUG can wear a rank 27 MRD body piece doesnt mean they should.

Gear scaling, imo, exists so high levels can wear their armor and do low level capped stuff and not be completely gimped to the point where they need to buy a new set just to participate.
Its not there so the low levels can look cool in high level gear.

Doesnt the game highlight any stats in red if its lower than what you currently have on?

JudgeN

zlatko said:
Okay this issue needs to be addressed ASAP by SquareEnix.

I'm wearing level 13 wristguards. I'm level 17. I look in a bazaar to see level 18 gloves favoring my class. I'm all HUZZAH because he's selling them cheap for 20,000 gil. I purchase a pair. I go into my inventory to equip and see the boost in defense/evasion...there is none. Equipping them at 17 gives me 3 less defense and 2 evasion I think it was. Now when I hit next level they'll probably give the same amount of defense/evasion as my current level 13 piece of gear.

Once you hit the optimal rank you will get the full stats of the armor, so no when you hit rank 18 whatever you won't get lvl 13 stats. The current system is fine but I would like to know how the stats/degradation are affected when you equip a piece of gear that you isn't favorable for you to wear. Example would be a rank 27 archer equipping a bronze haubergeon.

Salaadin said:
Doesnt the game highlight any stats in red if its lower than what you currently have on?

Yes

Jinko

JudgeN said:
Once you hit the optimal rank you will get the full stats of the armor, so no when you hit rank 18 whatever you won't get lvl 13 stats. The current system is fine but I would like to know how the stats/degradation are affected when you equip a piece of gear that you isn't favorable for you to wear. Example would be a rank 27 archer equipping a bronze haubergeon.

This is fairly apparent by looking at the def in the atributes and gear page.

Wearing the wrong class of armour has a much higher penalty than wearing the wrong level or gear.

I am rank 18.

With no head gear I am 151 defense.

Bronze Celata (rank 38 favors lancer)- 177 total defense
+ 57 defense (should be 208)
missing 31 defense
gain 26 defense

Dodoskin Pot Helm (rank 19 favors lancer) - 178 total defense
+ 27 defense (should be 178)
missing 0 defense
gain 27 defense

So the penalty isn't that bad all things considered as far as rank goes.

The biggest penalty is the cost to repair the gear.

JudgeN

Jinko said:
This is fairly apparent by looking at the def in the atributes and gear page.

Wearing the wrong class of armour has a much higher penalty than wearing the wrong level or gear.

I am rank 18.

With no head gear I am 151 defense.

Bronze Celata (rank 38 favors lancer)- 177 total defense
+ 57 defense (should be 208)
missing 31 defense
gain 26 defense

Dodoskin Pot Helm (rank 19 favors lancer) - 178 total defense
+ 27 defense (should be 178)
missing 0 defense
gain 27 defense

So the penalty isn't that bad all things considered as far as rank goes.

The biggest penalty is the cost to repair the gear.

The penalty is bad because the Bronze Celata will degrade much much much faster then the Pot helm because your not at the optimal rank. Like you said the cost of constant repair from NPC will be insane, now if you can repair it yourself and materials don't cost much its not so bad. But following your example, you say "rank" 18 I'm assuming you mean lancer. So do you have any gear that doesn't favor your class and do the same comparison? I would do it myself but I'm at work nor do I buy gear that doesn't favor my class :lol

Ravidrath said:

A fair number of us are running around in Bronze Haubergeon and none of us are anywhere near physical level 27 and we all agree it is superior to anything else we can get. Mine had saved me from a death several times already. The underleveled armor gimping is not nearly as drastic as some people make it out to be.

Salaadin

Unknown Soldier said:
A fair number of us are running around in Bronze Haubergeon and none of us are anywhere near physical level 27 and we all agree it is superior to anything else we can get. Mine had saved me from a death several times already. The underleveled armor gimping is not nearly as drastic as some people make it out to be.

Really? I thought for sure thered be a decent amount of drawbacks to wearing gear that high above your rank.
Have there been tests done to show any differences? Like someone wearing rank 13 MRD gear and then swapping it out to rank 27 MRD gear and fighting the same mobs to see the difference in damage taken, damage dealt, accuracy, etc?

I dont mean to doubt you but I just wonder how you know it was the bronze hauby that saved you from death and not another factor entirely.

jiggle

anyone know if i can solo faction leve on conj rank 18?
i can do all 3 now but the wait for rank 20 to do these is killing me
but i don't wanna waste the points ><

(If failed, is it repeatable the next leve reset?)

all the google searches i've found talked about doing them in pt with multiple stars

Jinko

JudgeN said:
The penalty is bad because the Bronze Celata will degrade much much much faster then the Pot helm because your not at the optimal rank.

You're actually wrong it takes ages for the helm to wear, is prob 2 to 3 times slower than the rest of my gear. (of course when it does need repairing it costs a shit ton)

FWIW wearing my lvl 17 fishing hat on my lancer which is 17 defense will lose 10 defense. Which is about 60%

Jinko

Did a bit more playing around and I think the armor scales to the most optimal piece for your level.

Like above the optimal piece for my level would be the dodo pot helm but the celata is scaled to equal that piece.

It seems to work this way with the leg armor i have aswell.

So you don't actually get a stat penalty for wearing the wrong armor just the extra cost of repair.

jiggle said:
anyone know if i can solo faction leve on conj rank 18?
i can do all 3 now but the wait for rank 20 to do these is killing me
but i don't wanna waste the points ><

(If failed, is it repeatable the next leve reset?)

all the google searches i've found talked about doing them in pt with multiple stars

We did Palemoon Pazuzu(sp?) in a group, picked 1 star to be safe and it was hilariously easy. Everything was dying in 2-3 hits, mobs came in groups of 3-4. I did the pirate one solo last night at 1 star (18 thm) and it was fairly easy. The last fight was 3 green con mobs so I had to use punishing barbs.

Aurora

Zalasta said:
Furthermore, acquiring gil is a fairly arduous task in XI, where as in XIV it is quite abundant. Case in point, I already have 1 million gil in just 2 weeks of playing, where as in XI it took a combined effort between me and a friend over 5 months to amass the same amount.
1 million gil in the first 2 weeks? Indeed, that's a huge difference from FFXI. In my total career (~2500 hours) I amassed around 5 million gil. That works out as 1 million gil per 500 hours played :lol

Are there NMs in this game?

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jinko said:
Did a bit more playing around and I think the armor scales to the most optimal piece for your level.

Like above the optimal piece for my level would be the dodo pot helm but the celata is scaled to equal that piece.

So you don't actually get a stat penalty for wearing the wrong armor just the extra cost of repair.

This makes zero sense to me. Why even bother with the different armors then?

I'm willing to bet there is much more to this.

Jinko

Kintaro said:
This makes zero sense to me. Why even bother with the different armors then?

I'm willing to bet there is much more to this.

Lets remember this is SE, not very much makes sense in their world.

It makes sense in some way though because if you switch jobs you're not always going to be carrying around 4 sets of gear, so to have it scale to the most optimal piece for the class would then make sense.

It's part the reason any class can wear any clothing item, otherwise you would switch from Lancer to Conjurer and be naked.

Just dinged 19.

My stats went from

No helemt 151 > 156 +5
Wth Helmet 177 > 183 +6

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:

This post on Zam has some good testing info about durability and optimal rank.

http://ffxiv.zam.com/forum.html?game=268&mid=1286318174203977351&page=1

Jinko

Rentahamster said:
Just noticed that <r> displays the name of the most recent /tell sender, according to the Lodestone.

http://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/guide/macro01.html

Now I won't have to type out the person's name anymore when I get a tell.

Sadly it doesn't work, just tried it.

It does say placeholder so maybe soon >.>

What the guy says in the link doesn't seem to be true for me, he seems to think you take more of a durability hit but it was over 2 days before I had to get my celata repaired.

I have a parser now and could probably test it, but I think its probably more hassle than its worth.

Zomba13

just had a moan in LS chat about this.
At Rank 13 I had 1044hp. All gear was either optimal rank13 or lower
I rank up to 14 and now have 1029hp, 15 hp less and my gear and stats are exactly the same as 1 rank below. I've removed and put back on my gear and recorded the hp increase and my +hp items (boots and wristlets) are giving the amount they say they give (11 on wrists, 19 on shoes)
It seems ranking up now makes you weaker. It may have something to do with attributes somehow but mine haven't changed, my VIT is the same. This is bullshit. When I rank up I expect to become stronger, not weaker.
Also before people ask, no food effects or anything like that, just guardians favour was the only buff I had. And I had 1044 before with and without the buff.

Jinko

Dreamwriter said:
Maybe Optimal Rank gear scales both ways - you are now too tough for rank 13 gear?

I'm wondering this myself.

It's kind of idiotic to have low level gear scale down if you are over the optimal rank though. :lol

It's typical of SE to leave everything hidden from us instead of giving us a clear idea and comparisons between the gear you are wearing and the gear you wish to equip.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:

lol, paid beta indeed.

Yeah, Zomba, I couldn't figure out the whole HP decrease on rank up thing, too. It seems rather counterintuitive.

butzopower

proud of his butz
You can reply to last tell by hitting Ctrl+r when focused on the chat.

Is there a GAF Linkshell on Lindblum? I have no idea how any of that works since I played maybe 2 weeks of FFXI, but would like to play this game with GAFers.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
butzopower said:
You can reply to last tell by hitting Ctrl+r when focused on the chat.
That only works to bring up the name of the person that you have sent a tell to.

That means, if someone sends you a tell out of the blue, you can't ctrl+r. You gotta type in the name manually. Then, you can ctrl+r for every tell to that person afterwards.

It sucks when I'm in the middle of a tell conversation and then one or more other people send me tells too.

zlatko

Banned
Finally got my full cotton equipment for crafting. Also hit 16 lworker and 13 weaver today too.

Some FYI to anyone leveling them:
1) Dodo Leather I was able to make succesfully with the level 7 bronze knife, lots of +craftsmanship equipment, level 15 leather work class, and having master tannersmith access from NPC in Gridania. I also spammed standard and nothing else.

2) I was able to do undyed cotton cloth as a level 13 weaver. Master cloth craft shop, +craftsmanship equip, and the level 22 weaver main hand weapon all helped. While not as consistent as I had hoped I did make about 4/10 attempts. Each piece of equip thought I wanted to make that needed the cloth was created succesfully by a long shot.

So to anyone having trouble crafting, like others have said, get better crafting equip/weapons. It pays in spades, because apparently the dodo leather is level 18 to craft, but I was doing it 3 levels sooner without any problems thanks to the steps I took.

Jinko said:

What the guy says in the link doesn't seem to be true for me, he seems to think you take more of a durability hit but it was over 2 days before I had to get my celata repaired.

I have a parser now and could probably test it, but I think its probably more hassle than its worth.

You have to type the name once then you can press control + R to scroll through a list of people you sent tells to if that helps. And you can tab out the name the first time.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Debating whether it would be a good idea to level lancer to 20 just to get Feint (250TP, use after target evades an attack)...

I think it would matter whether it is usable only after your attack is evaded, of if you can use it when you just plain miss, too.

jiggle

those abilities you buy with guild marks
do you learn it naturally also?
i noticed at YG, there's a "rank" listed next to each them?

or can you not use them until that rank?

SuperLurker said:
We did Palemoon Pazuzu(sp?) in a group, picked 1 star to be safe and it was hilariously easy. Everything was dying in 2-3 hits, mobs came in groups of 3-4. I did the pirate one solo last night at 1 star (18 thm) and it was fairly easy. The last fight was 3 green con mobs so I had to use punishing barbs.

thanks
guess i'll give it a try :)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
If we fail a faction leve, we can always retry after the next leve reset, right?

We should just try one on 5 stars to see if the chest drop gets better.

Jinko

pancakesandsex said:
You have to type the name once then you can press control + R to scroll through a list of people you sent tells to if that helps. And you can tab out the name the first time.

We were refering to <r> not ctrl+r, unless I'm not understanding you.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Unknown Soldier said:
Is there always a chest from faction leves?
Yep. It drops after you beat the boss.

Unlike open beta, though, the phat lewt has been few and far between. I don't need more damn gil! :lol

Ravidrath

Managed to do a Rank 20 leve on CON 15 tonight, earning me 1700+ CON Guildmarks.

It was a little touch and go, but I think once I hit 16 and have Protect, I'll be able to do them regularly.

Also, for the record: Antelopes shoot lasers at you.

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
Alright, my parts are here, my computer is built - time to start playing!

Any chance Lindblum is cleared up? :(

Edit: Wow, this game is hard. Well not hard, but there is like... a terrible noob guide built in, I need to find that one linked a few pages back. How am I supposed to level up as a leatherworker if there is only one leatherworking leve and it's for level 5?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom