• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rentahamster said:
The one simple solution that would fix the SP problem would just be to give mobs a static amount of SP, just like how physical EXP is awarded. Plus, bring back EXP chains, like in FF11.

That would bring back the incentive of battle to be what it's supposed to be: Kill shit as fast as possible using whatever means necessary, with as little downtime in between fights as possible.

This way, mages won't be afraid of using skills and spells that, under the current system, have a low/no chance of giving SP. Melee won't be afraid of using abilities that, while maybe increases their fighting effectiveness, makes them give up one extra turn they could have used to do an attack and maybe gain more SP.
That way anyone would be able to powerlevel anyone else, nobody need do anything at all in the fight at all as long as they were just in the party. People could sell their powerlevelling abilities, shouting in towns offering their skills, and make everyone annoyed.

Mages shouldn't be afraid of using skills and spells, I rarely use dart, and my SP grows at the same rate as the other people in my party. Make sure you are using area-effect spells so you hit multiple things with each attack, and don't expect to gain any SP if you cast a spell on a partymember that doesn't do anything (ie, healing someone who doesn't need it or buffing someone who already has the buff, won't give you SP).

Torquill

Rentahamster said:
I'm thinking that the only reason they purposefully wouldn't implement a sort feature is that 500 people all doing sort at the same time would cause a lot of strain on the server. Would it?
I don't think so. Xi did it and is an activity an SNES could handle. They just didn't consider it a priority apparently.

Torquill

Dreamwriter said:
That way anyone would be able to powerlevel anyone else, nobody need do anything at all in the fight at all as long as they were just in the party. People could sell their powerlevelling abilities, shouting in towns offering their skills, and make everyone annoyed.

Mages shouldn't be afraid of using skills and spells, I rarely use dart, and my SP grows at the same rate as the other people in my party. Make sure you are using area-effect spells so you hit multiple things with each attack, and don't expect to gain any SP if you cast a spell on a partymember that doesn't do anything (ie, healing someone who doesn't need it or buffing someone who already has the buff, won't give you SP).
That's a weak argument. You'd have a system where xp awarded is based on highest level member or something, like every other mmo ever.

Torquill said:
Won't compile. Square code still wins :p
Hey, they can replace my variables with whatever the hell they called them. But it's clear they need a little help on the basic concepts of design, so that's what my code is there for.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Dreamwriter said:

That's why you scale exp gain based on relative levels.

You can powerlevel under the current FF14 system as is. All you gotta do if have the high level party member provoke and taunt the mob while a lower level member hits it for free.

Londa

Banned
CcrooK said:
-The Londa Alarm goes off-

Oh shit son...

Why are you putting me into this?

My attitude is good, I'll be glad for when the complainers go play the game they actually like. :D

Kinitari

Black Canada Mafia
RocketDarkness said:
Hey Square, I got this for you.

Code:
bool inCombat = true;
int totalSP = 0;
while ( inCombat )
{
  if ( ( int newSP = SPGeneratedByAction() )
  {
    printf( "You gained %d Skill Points.\n", newSP );
    totalSP += newSP;
  } 
}

printf ( "You gained %d Skill Points total.\n", totalSP );

charSP += totalSP;

The coolest part about this is that I actually understand it. Yay, I'm learning.

Also, you have an unnecessary ( in line 5.

Sheppard

So I started off as a Conj. Job seems fun, sorta rdm-ish with a do all things kind of style. My main question is, what crafts are good for the Conj? Does the Mighty Gaf like the Conj. job?

BAM Ninja Edit

For some reason, I can't play this game outside of the in-game resolution. Meaning, since my desktop is 1920X1080 and I play the game at 1280X720, the game will not run. If my desktop res is 1280X720. It will run. Have any of you heard about this or have had the same issue?

I'm starting to believe that the SP "bug", such as it is, is in fact not a bug. It is in fact "working as intended" to purposely slow down leveling of players since there obviously isn't enough content at the lower levels, much less at higher levels. Once Squenix sees fit to issue the huginormous content patch they are promising, all of a sudden they'll acknowledge "hey oops, SP was broken" and it magically gets fixed when there's actual content for high level characters to see.

Remember that the game was originally promised to be a size of 22GB on our hard drives (which coincidentally would make it fit just so on a single-layer BD-25 for the PS3 version) and it's currently 9GB. There's shitload of unreleased content that Squenix is presumably working on. They might want to hurry the fuck up a little and release some of that content at least before October 21st, and they'd better fucking damn well have all of the promised content released before December 7th.

I'm having a lot of fun in the game but there's only so many times I'll be able to run the same 5 or so guildleves in each town before I'll get desperately bored. It's only the great people in the GAF LS which makes the game fun for me, because the dearth of content is pretty glaring at this point.

Also, fuck Squenix for not even have the courtesy of putting a message in the message window saying "Your inventory is full". Seriously? No message that my inventory is full, and any items I might pick up after that instantly vanish into the ether and don't even appear in the Loot list to give me a chance to clear up some inventory space so I can get the items? I lost the rewards from 5 local leves (including a sheep leather strap) because fucking Squenix can't even fucking have the fucking courtesy to tell me my fucking inventory is full! Fuck you, Squenix!

gillty

Banned
Sheppard said:
For some reason, I can't play this game outside of the in-game resolution. Meaning, since my desktop is 1920X1080 and I play the game at 1280X720, the game will not run. If my desktop res is 1280X720. It will run. Have any of you heard about this or have had the same issue?
If you trying to run at 1280 in fullscreen (non-native) if so try 1920 and use the buffer setting. The buffer setting allows the game to render the 3d world at say 3/4 resolution while the UI remains native res.

Nakazato

so how is the gaf ls going ? i really want to play with you guys but i got friend on other server that want me to play with them 2 ; ;

kiryogi

Banned
Nakazato said:
so how is the gaf ls going ? i really want to play with you guys but i got friend on other server that want me to play with them 2 ; ;
Its whats making the xiv experience so awesome thus far. Kawaii hits it all on the head with the lack of content.

Jinko

So I tried to get my Bronze Celata fixed today, NPC said 60k, I said F U. (you can buy the repair mats for 600 gil FWIW)

Went to look for an armorer, found a lvl 21 one who could make the helmet but lo and behold couldn't fix it.

Why is it SE seem to make everything back to front?

Playing this game is starting to grate on me, can't see me lasting the end of the month at this rate.

I have made so much crap on my alchemist yet nobody is buying it !, and to top it all off I can't buy a new lancer weapon because they don't exsist. /sigh

Also, fuck Squenix for not even have the courtesy of putting a message in the message window saying "Your inventory is full". Seriously? No message that my inventory is full, and any items I might pick up after that instantly vanish into the ether and don't even appear in the Loot list to give me a chance to clear up some inventory space so I can get the items? I lost the rewards from 5 local leves (including a sheep leather strap) because fucking Squenix can't even fucking have the fucking courtesy to tell me my fucking inventory is full! Fuck you, Squenix!

LOL calm down, all leve rewards are stored on the Aetherite if you have a full inventory.

Make room > activate aetherite > select initiate leve > you will get the reward.

jiggle

they really need to get rid of deterioration
serves no purpose other than to be an annoyance

the weapon i'm using (budding maple wand) barely lasts through 8 leves before needing fixing again, which isn't exactly dirt cheap either

careksims

Yeah a lot of backward stuff and lack of content is killing this game. Notice the same leves over and over again. I'm only playing because of the GaF crew. They are the awesome.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Jinko said:
So I tried to get my Bronze Celata fixed today, NPC said 60k I said F U. (you can buy the repair mats for 600 gil FWIW)

Went to look for an armorer, found a lvl 21 one who could make the helmet but lo and behold couldn't fix it.

To be a bit honest though, the Celata's rank and the level you can make it really screwed up. It's Optimal Rank is 38 while an Armorer in their mid teens can make it. That item seems a bit screwy to me.

I mean, it's rank places it with the Iron class of items.

Sorry man, but that item is pretty clearly mis-itemized. =/

Torquill

RocketDarkness said:
Hey, they can replace my variables with whatever the hell they called them. But it's clear they need a little help on the basic concepts of design, so that's what my code is there for.
I meant more the syntax error on your if line :p

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Jinko said:
So I tried to get my Bronze Celata fixed today, NPC said 60k, I said F U. (you can buy the repair mats for 600 gil FWIW)

Why is it SE seem to make everything back to front?

Playing this game is starting to grate on me, can't see me lasting the end of the month at this rate.

I have made so much crap on my alchemist yet nobody is buying it !, and to top it all off I can't buy a new lancer weapon because they don't exsist. /sigh

LOL calm down, all leve rewards are stored on the Aetherite if you have a full inventory.

Make room > activate aetherite > select initiate leve > you will get the reward.

Our Linkshell could make you a brass spear right? All the parts require rank 10-ish blacksmith and carpentry. Taka and Dega are in the late teens already.

There's also the brass rivets, but I know a level 20 armorer who could make them.

KaYotiX

Banned
Nakazato said:
Makes the game alot more fun than it would be if I wasn't in the LS. Square better be working on fixes, like ppl said if there is nothing in place after a month or 2 than back to WoW most will go.

I enjoy the game but it needs work....

Cmagus

There is a good game here there is just so many poor choices design wise.So many little things can make this game so much better.Personally I'd like stuff like having leve quests available at each camp.Today I was gathering leves and crafting quests up and I had two more I wanted to do but I was full.

Had to run all the way back after to pick up two more it's just such an inconvience rather just have them right there so I can grab them at the camp.Things like damaged items puts that icon which gets annoying after awhile on screen.I mean why not tell me what needs to be fixed urgently by hovering over it or highlighting the item red in inventory.

Hopefully people stick around my buddy who I gave my pass to bailed he couldn't take the lag and problems so now I am stuck on fabul with a ton of japanese players.Almost every party but like two that I have been in are japanese players kinda sucks because they rarely talk (obviously).

Teknoman

SuperLurker said:
I've been seeing quite a few people running around with this thing. Its kind of silly looking, like a giant paddle for spanking people with. I suppose its supposed to match with a subligar or something.

I think its supposed to be some Aztec sword?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl

Yup:

The macuahuitl was sharp enough to decapitate a man. According to an account by Bernal Diaz del Castillo, one of Hernán Cortés’s conquistadors, it could even decapitate a horse

Decay24

Neo Member
There is a stand open in the Black Oak Ward in Gridania (Lindblum) if anyone is looking to put their retainer there for selling. I just logged off but the stall is empty in the northern section of the area (at the time of posting at least.)

Ronok

Unknown Soldier said:

When you complete a local leve with a full inventory it says "You could not collect reward" or something like that. You can throw or sell something from your inventory then and go back to them and they will give it to you.

Enjoying THM a lot. Very close to 12.

It is pretty sad that it took me this long to find a class I enjoy..

I did Conj to 8..
then Pug to 10
then Archer to 11
now.. Thaum to 11 (almost 12)

Thaum though with Shock Spikes and Stone Guard really has no issue dying.. Just load up the monster with Slow and Poison (will switch this to Bio at 12) then have Shock Spikes up (Hell probably dont even need Stone Guard then just keep doing your standard dps and watch them die. I somehow lived agst 5 moles earlier today.. and then did the Stray Dodo Lvl 10 Levequest in Dry Bones solo at lvl 10. My archer got raped doing it that. I actually failed it with my Archer who even had second wind :( ... Pretty crazy what the Thaum can do.

Oh and Red Lotus (Rank 2 GLA Skill) is amazing. Never misses.. only costs 1000 TP and 10 mana. I think its way better then Damnation which always misses.

Tekno - Havent seen you in days.. are you still in the LS? :lol

Kyoufu

Rank 25 Lancer. Going to power level the shit out of Armorer to make myself a sweet Bronze Haubergeon plus the rest of the set.

ps: SP still sucks.

Zalasta

Ok, I was always under the impression that as long as you pick up your regional leves before the next reset, they won't count against you if you do them after the reset. Can someone tell me if that's true or not? (Basically I have two leftover from last night that I didn't have time to start, so if I do them after this morning's reset, will they count against my new set of 8?)

Pejo

Cmagus said:
Hopefully people stick around my buddy who I gave my pass to bailed he couldn't take the lag and problems so now I am stuck on fabul with a ton of japanese players.Almost every party but like two that I have been in are japanese players kinda sucks because they rarely talk (obviously).

I'm on Fabul too, look me up. Character name: Nine Degallos

Effect

I really wish I didn't have to reset my action bar every single time I change my class. That's really annoying and makes it difficult to change things when out in the field. It's not like it couldn't be setup either to do so automatically. The basic attack changes when you make a change and some attacks (from the previous class) will carry over but others won't.

Would also be nice if there was some indicator showing when you aren't receiving SP anymore, that you've hit the limit. Sometimes you simply don't get any one battle and the next battle you'll get some. It's a guessing game it seems to me. I guess it will be more clear when you really hit the limit.

I guess there weren't many on Karnak last night during EST prime time. I was around Gridania and the game was running a lot better, server wise I mean. Then again I logged into the game at Camp Moss instead of the city itself the way I usually do. I'm really tempted to recreate and start in a different area to see if things improve. I wonder if it's the forest area that could be an issue.

Oh that reminds me. The forest around Gridania is just a series of corridors. There are a few open areas but they are small and just lead to more corridors. Are the other starting areas designed this way or can you actually roam free ala FFXI and every other MMO?

Does anyone know on what days SE typically would patch FFXI?

Zalasta

Effect said:
I really wish I didn't have to reset my action bar every single time I change my class. That's really annoying and makes it difficult to change things when out in the field. It's not like it couldn't be setup either to do so automatically. The basic attack changes when you make a change and some attacks (from the previous class) will carry over but others won't.

Abilities stay on the action bar unless you replace those slots with other skills. I have all of my conjury stuff on action bar 1 and gathering on action bar 3. They don't reset when I change classes.

Salaadin

Zalasta said:
Abilities stay on the action bar unless you replace those slots with other skills. I have all of my conjury stuff on action bar 1 and gathering on action bar 3. They don't reset when I change classes.

Thats how I do it too. Any other battle jobs are macroed so theyll automatically replace Action Bar 1s slots

zlatko

Banned
Kandinsky said:
One of the things i just cant over in this game is the equip w'e the hell you want bs :/

I really, really hate that.

I fully agree. Having a higher level piece of equip generally means I have to check every level if it finally is better than what I'm wearing stat wise since you don't get the full effect until the level it states. Plus it takes away the differences in the classes. It also worries me that end game will involve too many sets of gear for certain fights. (Magic defense set, phys defense set, high eva set, etc etc)

FFXIV_1286245962.jpg

/psych

RocketDarkness said:
Hey Square, I got this for you.

Code:
bool inCombat = true;
int totalSP = 0;
while ( inCombat )
{
  if ( ( int newSP = SPGeneratedByAction() )
  {
    printf( "You gained %d Skill Points.\n", newSP );
    totalSP += newSP;
  } 
}

printf ( "You gained %d Skill Points total.\n", totalSP );

charSP += totalSP;

Wrong language. Pretty sure FFXIV is written in QBasic. :lol

Salaadin

I know this is SE we are talking about but Im really hoping for an "issues we are working on" Lodestone post or something. Some of the little things are really starting to bog it down for me....mainly inventory sorting and UI lagginess/glitchiness. Just a confirmation that theyre aware of it and looking into it will be good enough for now.

Two of my favorite things to do in this game are crafting and gathering and its such a drag trying to manage my massive inventory from gathering so many items and then trying to turn around and craft that inventory into something.

Zalasta

Not to excuse the inventory/UI difficulties we currently have to deal with, but the abundance of drops (and subsequently the influx of gil) in FFXIV is something I haven't seen in any of the previous MMO I've played. Honestly, I think we should be thankful that the majority of materials are relatively easy to come by at the moment (it might change later on at higher level). Just imagine it could've been easily tuned so we get less items and thus inventory would not be as much of a problem as now. I doubt people would enjoy that very much.

Salaadin

Zalasta said:
Not to excuse the inventory/UI difficulties we currently have to deal with, but the abundance of drops (and subsequently the influx of gil) in FFXIV is something I haven't seen in any of the previous MMO I've played. Honestly, I think we should be thankful that the majority of materials are relatively easy to come by at the moment (it might change later on at higher level). Just imagine it could've been easily tuned so we get less items and thus inventory would not be as much of a problem as now. I doubt people would enjoy that very much.

I think that was done because of how big of a role crafting and gathering is now. They really want people to have incentive to level those jobs.

Curious if anyone has done the level 20 class quest for Conjurer. I ran all over the east side of Gridania's map and couldn't find the area to start it. Do not know what I'm missing. Damn game pisses me off sometimes, but over all not to bad, except for the SP party bug. 3 man groups just aren't viable. Which is a shame.

zlatko

Banned
How is the server congestion/lag on Lindblum? On Cornelia now it's basically unplayable.

In open beta I had no issues with lag running the game on highest with the exception of ambient. First few days of the full retail game was the same, but now even though I've turned down tons of settings it STILL lags the same damn amount that it does when I have things turned up high.

I'd kill for SE to give me an option right now to swap my character to a new server they make, because it's really bad. I can't put my weapon away for 5+ seconds, crafting is eating up 10+ seconds each step, and each time I hit standard to wait for the next one is huge lag. Just about anything I want to do is taking far too long, and people loading up on screen is just not happening at a normal rate at all.

That's the first most thing they need to fix right now in my book. :/

Salaadin

Lindblum has its moments. I just try and stay away from the crowded areas even when crafting. There are times when its unplayable though this was mainly at launch when it would take 5 mins for your leve to realize it started and all that. I dont have many issues with lag now.

Teknoman

TurtleSnatcher said:
Tekno - Havent seen you in days.. are you still in the LS? :lol

:lol yeah just swamped with unexpected extra work...

Sucks because i've also got Reach, Dead Rising 2, and soon Castlevania, yet wont be able to really get into them.

Zalasta

Salaadin said:
I think that was done because of how big of a role crafting and gathering is now. They really want people to have incentive to level those jobs.

I do wish the drops are more consistent with the crafting rank though. I've got a stash of items I can't use for another 10 ranks. For example, I'm getting a good amount of wildfowl feathers which is used at around rank 26 clothcraft. So I'm saving it for the future. Same with maple sap. Easily obtained from grade 1 logging, but can't be used by alchemy until 25+. I think a lot of the inventory woes could be alleviated if they tuned the gathering mats to actually reflect the rank at which the crafter can use them.

Torquill

Zalasta said:
I do wish the drops are more consistent with the crafting rank though. I've got a stash of items I can't use for another 10 ranks. For example, I'm getting a good amount of wildfowl feathers which is used at around rank 26 clothcraft. So I'm saving it for the future. Same with maple sap. Easily obtained from grade 1 logging, but can't be used by alchemy until 25+. I think a lot of the inventory woes could be alleviated if they tuned the gathering mats to actually reflect the rank at which the crafter can use them.
The intention may be that in a fully built economy you'd be selling those mats. Then, later, when you're the proper level for the gear they make, you buy the gear they make from the crafter.

The "synergy" of leveling, level of mats, gear, and recipies is likely built around z complex economy design. It's not built around a do everything yourself as you level up approach, which is the only option folks have ATM.

I'm curious what kind of cost effective dev approaches could have been taken to soften the initial growing pains.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom