• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT| ARR: Alpha Closed. Beta mid-Feb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zalasta

I miss the 48 hour duration. Unless I can play all day, I feel I'm always running from one city to another trying to get leves done before the next reset.

Salaadin

Zalasta said:
I miss the 48 hour duration. Unless I can play all day, I feel I'm always running from one city to another trying to get leves done before the next reset.
:lol Seriously?

I find the 36 hour limit fine. I do a lot of travelling the way it is so its nice to pretty much always have leves up for selection.

Salaadin said:

I find the 36 hour limit fine. I do a lot of travelling the way it is so its nice to pretty much always have leves up for selection.
36 definitely feels too cramped. You've got an alternating 2 nights/1 night time period to complete your 8 regional/8 local guildleves. Those 1-night timeslices are really obnoxious, as it takes upwards of 3 hours at those times, while I feel much more comfortable with the 2-nights timeslices. Also, a 48-hour timeslice would make it so you earn back 12 anima and 40 favor per timeslice, enabling you to to warp to each other city once and take on half your guildleves with favor, which are very nice, even, pleasant values.

Cmagus

There has to be a faster way to grind crafting skills.I find the suggested requirements are a little ridiculous.I mean by time I hit some of these crafting levels the armour is going to be useless.Like is there any specific things to craft that gain a higher amount of xp that doesn't cost a fortune.

Haint

Jinko said:
Yea like I said in LS chat last night, FF14 is basically built around Skill party v2.0, It's a horrible horrible idea because skill parties in FF11 was one of the worse things looking back for me (granted I was a whitemage most of the time), anyways, how SE think this is a good idea is beyond me.

Last night me Maki and Kessah were grinding (I say grinding I mean trying to) on fat dodos and the sp gains were all over the place.

I was getting about 350-500 during battle but when the battle ended I would recieve a big fat 0, other times I would be getting 400 sp and the other 2 would be getting 0-40.

It's really demoralizing to get 0 at the end of the fight, we also figured that having lower level party members makes the system even worse because its as if they start leeching the sp (whether there is some equalizing shit going on in the battle system is anyones guess)

Needless to say we couldn't figure out how the system worked and it isn't based on damage done or sp gained during battle because as I said above this isn't the case.

Edit:- I forgot to mention at rank 18+ the XP needed starts to become quite a grind, I can't imagine how bad 49-50 is going to feel.

Right now I'm starting to think the grind will be worse than 11.

The grind is already markedly slower than XI at comparable levels, even NA launch XI. The big fat 0's you experienced (in spite of the in-battle logs) is a bug obviously, one that must require significant retooling of the servers or SP system cause it has been ongoing since early Beta phases. Despite being the most game breaking glitch to affect the game so far, SE has yet to so much as recognize it, suggesting a fix could be a long ways out. Most people fail to realize you're not actually awarded SP until the end-battle-total-up, and when that total isn't displayed, you get jack shit. I have tried to explain this to people every party I've been in, they just don't get it. 90% of the time, they try to blame fatigue. You begin to get an idea how many people are being affected by this and don't even realize it. SE has made hundreds of millions of SP off this bug and wasted hundreds of thousand's of hours.

Zalasta said:

Yea, 36 hours is really tight to pull off 8 Regional and 8 Local leves if you go to all 3 cities to maximize rewards and gains. Wouldn't be bad if airships/chocobos were in, or anima wasn't broke but... I think most people just stay in 1 city and do 3 lower rank and 3 present rank leves, and don't really care about completing local's at all.

Zalasta

Salaadin said:

Of course, as the above poster has pointed out. With only 4-6 hours to play on weekdays, it leaves very little room to do other things. I actually miss the grinding because I can't devote any time to it until the weekends. Not to mention it's just easier to remember if it's every 2 days, rather than 1 and a half. Oh well, I imagine if SE had stuck to their guns a lot of people wouldn't have progressed so quickly in 2 weeks time. I'm definitely slightly ahead of the pace I set during the beta.

Raoh

with the time issue i am considering just using that time for my other jobs like SE suggested..

in ffxi i leveled drk and bst to about 60. but i also leveled thief, ninja and warrior to 37, red mage, white mage, monk to about 20 something, black mage to about 18 etc etc..

during my off peak times i can level my other jobs that make my maurauder better, its like they took a page from ffxi soloist and players who leveled every job and made it a part of the game..

my only complaints are lack of side quests, npc stores with more gear than just the starter gear or higher level gear..

i havent crafted yet but i need to.. i still dont know how to work my retainer.. little dumbass (that's his name; dumbass) hasnt sold much, i dont think he is even out working for me like he supposed to..

i find it hard to manage my bazaar without an AH to use a price guide..

and quests used to push playing in parties.. played mostly solo with my first party last night and thats because i wanted to try it out.. its nice to have a healer but with my cure and second wind and bloodbath.. i've been doing fine solo anyway.. its like playing my beastmaster only with a few dark knight abilities available to me..

Coldsnap

Reallink said:
Most people fail to realize you're not actually awarded SP until the end-battle-total-up, and when that total isn't displayed, you get jack shit. I have tried to explain this to people every party I've been in, they just don't get it. 90% of the time, they try to blame fatigue. You begin to get an idea how many people are being affected by this and don't even realize it. SE has made hundreds of millions of SP off this bug and wasted hundreds of thousand's of hours.

Hold up, so lets say I hit a dodo with my Axe and gain 94 sp points during battle but at the end of the battle I see no sp gained. Does that mean the 94sp was never gained?

Ravidrath

Coldsnap said:
Hold up, so lets say I hit a dodo with my Axe and gain 94 sp points during battle but at the end of the battle I see no sp gained. Does that mean the 94sp was never gained?

I want to say I've read on BG that you are actually getting it, that there is just a lag issue or something that's making it not show up in the final summary.

A guy on there was talking about how he was getting "missing SP" a lot and getting pissed, and then checked his status and he had actually Ranked Up... it just never told his client he was getting the SP, and so it didn't even play the effect, but the server knew what was going on.

rSpooky

I am still confused where the lag in this game comes from. THis is me and my wife:
" ok you can invite me now into the party"
"hon I dont see you "
" I am right in front of you "
"Nope not here, no dot .."
"grr here I will invite you "
" aah there you are"

:lol

Then it is good for a while , while other times it drops and she will see my health as zero, while it is full. etc.
Good thign we are int he same room so we know what is really going on. It all seems so random.
Checked my machine performance and it is running at 60% cpu/RAM durign gameplay. Network should be fine 20-30MB down/5mb up
I just dont know if it would be fixed with a top of the line graphics card, or more RAM or if it is all server type lag.
I dont care about lesser resolution/graphics /low framerate.. I care about this damn lag .. :lol
anyone know how this works?

EDIT: Cutscenes work fine ;)

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Ravidrath said:
I want to say I've read on BG that you are actually getting it, that there is just a lag issue or something that's making it not show up in the final summary.

A guy on there was talking about how he was getting "missing SP" a lot and getting pissed, and then checked his status and he had actually Ranked Up... it just never told his client he was getting the SP, and so it didn't even play the effect, but the server knew what was going on.
I have seen delayed end-of-battle SP total gains messages that have been delayed before.

However, I have seen many, many more cases of +SP procs during battle, and no SP totals at the end (sometimes not even phys exp totals). To make sure, I check the menu and yup, SP is still the same from before the battle. Totally fucking stupid.

hgplayer1

Is anyone else using the timer bar during crafting to try to get better results? I honestly have no idea what the success rate has been but Ive been waiting for the timer to go down to less than half or lower whenever I get either a red orb or a blinking one.

Sometimes I even use that strategy on synths that are close to my rank. Once I get a few ranks above the synth I dont worry about it as much.

Anyone else find that when weaving you have to move the camera so that you can see the orb which is actually under your tool?

I definitely need to get some crafting gear now that a few of mine are up to rank 10. Hadnt really looked into it but I saw that there are some body pieces that are for all DoH classes with nice bonuses.

Ive sought out the use of facilities a few times but never went as far as getting master support. Is there any real need for this at these low levels? I did notice in some recipes it recommends support of facilities but it also recommends the use of some of those special traits or abilities that are only available via purchase with guild marks. It doesnt feel like either one of them is necessary for skilling up at this point as I have had little trouble getting to 10 in any class just using standard and paying attention to what I was doing.

By the way if anyone is looking for specific mats please list them because Im not doing cooking or alchemy and Im just NPCing the mats when I start to get low on inventory space. Also anything Im not planning on using for the other crafts are available at times.

I havent spent the time to put my retainer in a market ward yet so Im still fighting the battle with inventory on a regular basis.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
The one simple solution that would fix the SP problem would just be to give mobs a static amount of SP, just like how physical EXP is awarded. Plus, bring back EXP chains, like in FF11.

That would bring back the incentive of battle to be what it's supposed to be: Kill shit as fast as possible using whatever means necessary, with as little downtime in between fights as possible.

This way, mages won't be afraid of using skills and spells that, under the current system, have a low/no chance of giving SP. Melee won't be afraid of using abilities that, while maybe increases their fighting effectiveness, makes them give up one extra turn they could have used to do an attack and maybe gain more SP.

Haint

Coldsnap said:

That is exactly what occurs, that 94SP is lost. It primarily only happens in parties though AFAIK. If you're noticing it solo you might have the item drop log scrolling your end-battle totals off screen or you might just be experiencing SP lag/delay. I'm not going to say it never happens solo, I just know I've never experienced it.

Ravidrath said:

Yes as Rentahamster said, there is both delayed SP, and SP that straight up vanishes. I have experienced delayed SP in Duo's personally, it will sometimes show up 5 or 10 seconds later in the log. Vanishing SP will never show up, period, and it is never added to your TNL. You can follow your stats in parties and confirm it is never added, despite getting thousands of points in procs. I spent 20 or 30 minutes at exactly 1084 points into Rank last night in a party, even though I had like 2000 points in procs showing in my log across that time span. I ultimately lost about 4-5k in total for the night. It is random, sometimes you will get the points, sometimes you won't.

Perhaps examples will make it more clear:

This is a NORMAL log

You Engage the Dodo

You Gain 30 SP
You Gain 40 SP
You Gain 80 SP

You Defeat the Dodo

You Gain 600 XP
You Gain 150 SP

This is a NORMAL log

You Engage the Dodo

You Defeat the Dodo

You Gain 600 XP

This is a GLITCHED log

You Engage the Dodo

You Gain 40 SP
You Gain 70 SP
You Gain 20 SP

You Defeat the Dodo

You Gain 600 XP

You will notice in the glitched log there is no SP total-up when the mob dies, ergo, you actually receive no SP. SP is awarded based solely on the total-up, not the mid-battle procs.

zlatko

Banned
CcrooK said:
-The Londa Alarm goes off-

Oh shit son...

MAN YOUR STATIONS BOYS! IT'S ABOUT TO GET CRAZY IN HERE! HOW CRAZY YOU SAY?!

THIS CRAZY:

hugemanatee.jpg

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One more thing, a simple (not a fix, but it'll at least make things a little more clear) improvement would be to change the total SP gained message to be something like: "You have gained a total of 150SP".

zlatko

Banned
Rentahamster said:
One more thing, a simple (not a fix, but it'll at least make things a little more clear) improvement would be to change the total SP gained message to be something like: "You have gained a total of 150SP".

I'd also like to be able to change equipment if I'm sitting. I wish they'd improve it so you could chat easier when you craft. I want to be able to turn on auto run if main menu is open. Bazaar comments need to make a return as well as linkshell messages. I think someone else also mentioned it but the ability to PICK your homepoint, so it doesn't always change whenever you touch a crystal. In game timer saying when leves will reset, when your next anima is restored, and how long till guardian favor points return. Maybe a reduction of how many points it wants for a faction leve.( 100 is steep, considering the first one I did was nothing but touching boxes in town for some crappy gil :/ )

I mean I'm sure I could keep listing other tweaks this game needs and so could the rest of Gaf...SE could get a lot done just by popping in this thread and reading like the last 10 pages of posts to get an idea of how to tighten up this game.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Yeah, zlatko, so many simple simple fixes that would make the game so much more playable. Maybe I'm just speaking from ignorance, but are these things so hard to program?

For example:

Shift+click or Ctrl+click items in inventory and then doing "sell all" or "exchange all" or "trade all".

A fucking sort function.

A colored border over the equipment graphic on the "Accessories and Gear" page to quickly indicate which gear is damaged and to what degree.

A "Repeat last synth" option.

One-click recipe book that automatically puts the ingredients into your synth menu.

The ability to bookmark or save your current equipped gear and ability loadout so you can easily switchback later.

The ability to equip all of my brass rings using a macro.

etc, etc.

Salaadin

zlatko said:
I'd also like to be able to change equipment if I'm sitting. I wish they'd improve it so you could chat easier when you craft. I want to be able to turn on auto run if main menu is open. Bazaar comments need to make a return as well as linkshell messages. I think someone else also mentioned it but the ability to PICK your homepoint, so it doesn't always change whenever you touch a crystal. In game timer saying when leves will reset, when your next anima is restored, and how long till guardian favor points return. Maybe a reduction of how many points it wants for a faction leve.( 100 is steep, considering the first one I did was nothing but touching boxes in town for some crappy gil :/ )

I mean I'm sure I could keep listing other tweaks this game needs and so could the rest of Gaf...SE could get a lot done just by popping in this thread and reading like the last 10 pages of posts to get an idea of how to tighten up this game.

Touch an Aetheryte and press "Assess Guardians Favor" and itll tell you when the leves reset. Kind of a pain having to be at the crystal but at the same time, how often are we NOT near a crystal.

I agree with a lot of your suggestions too. I wish equip changes would be near instant. I hit my equip macro and I gotta wait through each blink and change and then the same thing for my ability macro. It takes more time than I want it to sometimes.

Does anyone read Japanese and frequent JP fansites or blogs and see what their complaints are? I wonder if they largely feel the same as us about UI lag, menus, and just the other little things that we mention. Im hoping theyre being pressed from both sides.

zlatko

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Yeah, zlatko, so many simple simple fixes that would make the game so much more playable. Maybe I'm just speaking from ignorance, but are these things so hard to program?

For example:

Shift+click or Ctrl+click items in inventory and then doing "sell all" or "exchange all" or "trade all".

A fucking sort function.

A colored border over the equipment graphic on the "Accessories and Gear" page to quickly indicate which gear is damaged and to what degree.

One-click recipe book that automatically puts the ingredients into your synth menu.

The ability to bookmark or save your current equipped gear and ability loadout so you can easily switchback later.

etc, etc.

Why the fuck are we not on SE's payroll? :lol

Even as a simple tester for the game we could've had this stuff ironed out pre alpha.

Edit: Thanks for the heads up on the leve reset timers. Wish I had known sooner. :( Is there a sort items function I may have missed ?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Salaadin said:
Does anyone read Japanese and frequent JP fansites or blogs and see what their complaints are? I wonder if they largely feel the same as us about UI lag, menus, and just the other little things that we mention. Im hoping theyre being pressed from both sides.
Well, for what it's worth, the CE edition of FF14 on Amazon.jp has 112 one star reviews :lol

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003UHVPDG/

zlatko

Banned
Rentahamster said:
Well, for what it's worth, the CE edition of FF14 on Amazon.jp has 112 one star reviews :lol

http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B003UHVPDG/

LMFAO! I followed the link to see how many POSITIVE reviews are and died a little inside. SE has a LOOONG way to go even by their standards. SE even put out a thing hoping reviewers will wait 3-4 weeks after sept30th before putting out their reviews for FF14. Why not just tell them to wait till the PS3 version + half a year after that to do a preview on it? :lol

Most of Gaf, myself included, is finding enough enjoyment out of the game to keep trudging forward in the HOPES things get addressed down the line. I'm just fairly positive though that my patience will most likely run thin end of December.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
One more thing - whose bright idea was it to translate the Limsa NPCs' dialogue into fucking pirate? Shit. It's awesome for spoken dialogue, horrible to read.

Salaadin

zlatko said:
Most of Gaf, myself included, is finding enough enjoyment out of the game to keep trudging forward in the HOPES things get addressed down the line. I'm just fairly positive though that my patience will most likely run thin end of December.

Im giving it to PS3 launch. 6 months is more than enough time to fix the little things.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
TurtleSnatcher said:
So..

I guess it is better to solo Levequests for SP specially as a THM

Well that kinda sucks :lol
Yeah, at rank 1-7ish it's so much better just to solo. Kinda dumb.

If SE wants to encourage party play so much, just make SP gains fixed per mob.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Salaadin said:
Im giving it to PS3 launch. 6 months is more than enough time to fix the little things.

Same here, but that does not mean I keep subscribed the whole time :lol

Effect

Suikoguy said:
Same here, but that does not mean I keep subscribed the whole time :lol

Of course not. That would be crazy. :) I hope they come out with something to fix the UI though. If anything that will cause me not to continue with the game after the free month. I don't mind the actual leve and class system. However I'm finding the UI completely unresponsive at times. How they expect this to fly on on the PS3 I don't understand. Struggling with the UI has gotten me killed a few times already. Using the 360 controller but at least I can quickly press keys on the keyboard and move the mouse. I don't really see how this game works with just a controller alone. A combination of server lag (due to not handling the load I think) and the UI (setup and it's own damn lag) sorta makes it impossible.

mileS

Reallink said:
You will notice in the glitched log there is no SP total-up when the mob dies, ergo, you actually receive no SP. SP is awarded based solely on the total-up, not the mid-battle procs.

wait what? the sp gain that shows after the XP isn't a total-up as far as I know.

example. Me solo vs a Nanny goat

during the fight
you gain
16sp
14sp
20sp (all of these randomly during the fight)

I kill him
you gain
584xp
484sp

Mind you that was one of the highest sp gains i've got from 1mob at once.

Haint

mileS said:
wait what? the sp gain that shows after the XP isn't a total-up as far as I know.

example. Me solo vs a Nanny goat

during the fight
you gain
16sp
14sp
20sp (all of these randomly during the fight)

I kill him
you gain
584xp
484sp

Mind you that was one of the highest sp gains i've got from 1mob at once.

It certainly is a total-up for melee classes. I have seen a couple off-handed remarks that there may be separate SP pools for damage and healing/buffs, but I haven't played a mage enough to comment. If you're not seeing accurate total-ups on a straight melee, it sounds like you're running into yet another branch of the bug.

Hey Square, I got this for you.

Code:
bool inCombat = true;
int totalSP = 0;
while ( inCombat )
{
  if ( ( int newSP = SPGeneratedByAction() )
  {
    printf( "You gained %d Skill Points.\n", newSP );
    totalSP += newSP;
  } 
}

printf ( "You gained %d Skill Points total.\n", totalSP );

charSP += totalSP;

LaneDS

Rentahamster said:

For example:

A fucking sort function.

etc, etc.

My friend using a 30 day buddy pass pointed out, smartly, that Final Fantasy IV on the SNES let you sort your inventory. It is not a hard feature to implement. Unless your game is designed on the moon, in which case, apparently, it is.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Reallink said:
It certainly is a total-up for melee classes. I have seen a couple off-handed remarks that there may be separate SP pools for damage and healing/buffs, but I haven't played a mage enough to comment. If you're not seeing accurate total-ups on a straight melee, it sounds like you're running into yet another branch of the bug.
As a melee, I run into that bug sometimes in a duo/trio, and sometimes in large parties.

What's frustrating is that I haven't really been able to sense any sort of cause-and-effect circumstance to the appearance of this bug, nor any pattern to it. Therefore, I have no idea what to do in order to mitigate its appearance.

jiggle

it's better to have more leves than you can do
than to not have enough
imo

Coldsnap said:
anyone want to make a bet on the percent drops of players when dec 7th nothing is fixed and cataclysm comes out, 70%? 80%?

are there a lot of ppl playing this over WoW now though?
i couldn't get any of my friends from WoW to even take my trial code

with that said
god i hope they don't wait for the whole freaking 3 months before implementing any major fixes/changes
not when the game is just out and need a lot of improvements

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
LaneDS said:
My friend using a 30 day buddy pass pointed out, smartly, that Final Fantasy IV on the SNES let you sort your inventory. It is not a hard feature to implement. Unless your game is designed on the moon, in which case, apparently, it is.
I'm thinking that the only reason they purposefully wouldn't implement a sort feature is that 500 people all doing sort at the same time would cause a lot of strain on the server. Would it?

LaneDS

Coldsnap said:
anyone want to make a bet on the percent drops of players when dec 7th nothing is fixed and cataclysm comes out, 70%? 80%?

I'd rather see what percentage of people playing now subscribe past the free month. I'm guessing "not a lot". December 7th is going to be a serious setback for a game already seriously setback.

Rentahamster said:
I'm thinking that the only reason they purposefully wouldn't implement a sort feature is that 500 people all doing sort at the same time would cause a lot of strain on the server. Would it?

Not if they're halfway competent about how they code their title. I've never seen an MMO that doesn't let you sort your inventory. Or rather, hadn't until XIV.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
RocketDarkness said:
The worst part, is how much better the system in XI was. I don't understand why they changed half the things they did.
I never followed the development of this game, but do the teams for 11 and 14 overlap? Do they share any members, or are they separate teams?

Rentahamster said:
I never followed the development of this game, but do the teams for 11 and 14 overlap? Do they share any members, or are they separate teams?

Essentially the same team from what we know. Some people stayed behind to do FFXI, and I'm assuming some new people joined for xiv.

Torquill

RocketDarkness said:
Hey Square, I got this for you.

Code:
bool inCombat = true;
int totalSP = 0;
while ( inCombat )
{
  if ( ( int newSP = SPGeneratedByAction() )
  {
    printf( "You gained %d Skill Points.\n", newSP );
    totalSP += newSP;
  } 
}

printf ( "You gained %d Skill Points total.\n", totalSP );

charSP += totalSP;
Won't compile. Square code still wins :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom