• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forbiden

I have a quick question. Anyone know how to use a PS3 pad on PC and get the game to show the PS3 controller buttons? I've seen some screenshots of people playing on the PC client with the PS3 buttons showing on screen, but whenever I try it, I get the 360 buttons.

dwix

I have a quick question. Anyone know how to use a PS3 pad on PC and get the game to show the PS3 controller buttons? I've seen some screenshots of people playing on the PC client with the PS3 buttons showing on screen, but whenever I try it, I get the 360 buttons.

There is an option in the gamepad settings where you can select how you want the buttons displayed, PS3 style or ABXY style.

Go to System Configuration -> Gamepad Settings -> Controller Type

Azrael

I was thinking I was going to go Arcanist/Summoner at retail, but I'm not sure I like the direction they're taking with the class, with all the DoT and puny summons. Plus half the population is probably going to be playing it at launch. Maybe I'll stick with Gladiator like I did with 1.0.

Forbiden

There is an option in the gamepad settings where you can select how you want the buttons displayed, PS3 style or ABXY style.

Go to System Configuration -> Gamepad Settings -> Controller Type

Wow something so simple eh? Well, thanks a bunch! Playing with a PS3 controller and seeing the Xbox prompts was driving me nuts :(

Kemal86

running ff14 at super high res post

I know this isn't a tech support thread, but if someone could perhaps answer this super quick or in a PM I'd appreciate it. My TV is native 1080P, I used Custom Resolution Utility to add in 1440p. I can load up FF14 and select it. It looks...good, but selecting that resolution makes the entire game VERY dark. Like gamma at -1,000 dark. Maxing out the gamma has a negligible improvement. Some parts of the screen also look...fuzzy? Like I can see scan lines almost. Happens in the handful of other games I've tried this on as well.

I'll never learn with the beta forums. I always end with a headache...Battle System feedback is as bad as any other part...

I'm a bit alone in this (and I am one of the few that did not like how 'fan service' Yoshida got with the overarching story) but I don't mind Yoshida's stance on this. If he can fit these characters into Eorzea in a reasonable and fun way that doesn't break the shroud of the world's character then I just see it as decent side content. Final Fantasy series are notorious for sidequests that bring old content into the game in a unique and new way. Gilgamesh is a prime example of this. He was a central antagonist that poppped up periodically in FFV but he became a 'staple' of the core part of Final Fantasy series as side content in future games and even a full blown summon with his own unique characteristics, those types of things have to start somewhere.

The Zodiac summons are another big part of this from FFXII. On top of the normal ones we had from FFT, we had final boss's from several old Final Fantasy games come back as summons to aid players in battle. Basically as long as the world can maintain its own identity and not let these side content break the complete immersion of the world, I see them as benefits and a true part of the legacy of Final Fantasy, but having said that I don't like the rehash of the warriors of light in such a blatant fashion as it takes a specific narrative from a previous final fantasy game and transposes it directly into the primary immersion of the world's story.

If Lighting's side quest doesn't break the immersion of her character and can somehow look semi fitting for the world, it will only aid. I don't on the other hand want this to be the only content and I worry over a game's identity when the world hasn't established itself well enough. I'd rather have things like Lightning content to show up in an expansion or two later after the world has established its own struggles properly and since we still haven't seen exactly where the story is taking us since they have been so fixed on keeping it secret till final release, this side content just ends up sticking out like a soar thumb.

Good post, I agree.

I'm a bit alone in this (and I am one of the few that did not like how 'fan service' Yoshida got with the overarching story) but I don't mind Yoshida's stance on this. If he can fit these characters into Eorzea in a reasonable and fun way that doesn't break the shroud of the world's character then I just see it as decent side content. Final Fantasy series are notorious for sidequests that bring old content into the game in a unique and new way. Gilgamesh is a prime example of this. He was a central antagonist that poppped up periodically in FFV but he became a 'staple' of the core part of Final Fantasy series as side content in future games and even a full blown summon with his own unique characteristics, those types of things have to start somewhere.

The Zodiac summons are another big part of this from FFXII. On top of the normal ones we had from FFT, we had final boss's from several old Final Fantasy games come back as summons to aid players in battle. Basically as long as the world can maintain its own identity and not let these side content break the complete immersion of the world, I see them as benefits and a true part of the legacy of Final Fantasy, but having said that I don't like the rehash of the warriors of light in such a blatant fashion as it takes a specific narrative from a previous final fantasy game and transposes it directly into the primary immersion of the world's story.

If Lighting's side quest doesn't break the immersion of her character and can somehow look semi fitting for the world, it will only aid. I don't on the other hand want this to be the only content and I worry over a game's identity when the world hasn't established itself well enough. I'd rather have things like Lightning content to show up in an expansion or two later after the world has established its own struggles properly and since we still haven't seen exactly where the story is taking us since they have been so fixed on keeping it secret till final release, this side content just ends up sticking out like a soar thumb.

Hate to continue the quote train, but I agree with this also. Here's to hoping the cameos are tastefully done.

Jijidasu

I know this isn't a tech support thread, but if someone could perhaps answer this super quick or in a PM I'd appreciate it. My TV is native 1080P, I used Custom Resolution Utility to add in 1440p. I can load up FF14 and select it. It looks...good, but selecting that resolution makes the entire game VERY dark. Like gamma at -1,000 dark. Maxing out the gamma has a negligible improvement. Some parts of the screen also look...fuzzy? Like I can see scan lines almost. Happens in the handful of other games I've tried this on as well.

The contrast will go up naturally as a result of downsampling but you can counter act this by altering the in game gamma settings. Don't expect it to be as bright/washed out as it would be at 1080p (it's one of the reasons people downsample; to get better contrast and darkness) but you can brighten it up a tad. Mine is around 95% at 1440p.

Azrael

Completed Toto-Rak and that's mostly it for me until open beta. I'll play around with Miner and see how gathering works but that's it. It would be too much of a grind getting leveled up enough to try the last two dungeons with so little content implemented after level 20, just grinding FATEs and the same dungeons over and over. The first few levels is boring kill X mob quests over and over and feels like 1.0 with better map design, but once Guildhests and dungeons are introduced and the main story quests get rolling it feels like a different game. If the level 15-20 content is anything to go by, I'm going to lose hundreds of hours to this game. Toto-Rak was really well designed with a great boss fight at the end.

My only concern is it looks like it's going to be hideously slow and expensive leveling crafting jobs, perhaps even harder than 1.0. Getting a crafting class from 10-15 alone seems extremely hard. And they're going to be in high demand with Materia and when housing is implemented too.

Neverfade

Are the PC and PS3 beta codes separate? Or does any of the 20 digit beta codes give you access to both platforms/platform of your choice?

Are the PC and PS3 beta codes separate? Or does any of the 20 digit beta codes give you access to both platforms/platform of your choice?

20 digit beta code is for registering a FF XIV service account.

The 12 digit PS3 code is to download the PS3 beta client.

One 20 digit account code will allow you to play both beta versions, if you get a 12 digit psn code to download the PS3 client.

Neverfade

20 digit beta code is for registering a FF XIV service account.

The 12 digit PS3 code is to download the PS3 beta client.

One 20 digit account code will allow you to play both beta versions, if you get a 12 digit psn code to download the PS3 client.

So I have an extra 20 digit code. I could give that to my buddy, and let him log in to my PS3 account and do the sharing trick to download the client and we'd be set?

omlet

My only concern is it looks like it's going to be hideously slow and expensive leveling crafting jobs, perhaps even harder than 1.0. Getting a crafting class from 10-15 alone seems extremely hard. And they're going to be in high demand with Materia and when housing is implemented too.

Hideously slow? lol... Did you play 1.x before 1.2 version? ARR crafting is hyperspeed compared to that. Crafting is faster now than it was in 1.x which makes the painful part of the process less painful but it's still "slow" compared to battle class leveling, which is fine. Crafting is and should remain something that isn't designed to be for everyone otherwise it just turns into meaningless throw-away element of the game like crafting in WoW or TERA...

Leves will be pretty critical to leveling crafts as they were in 1.x. To anyone who wants to level DoH I advise you to stockpile some leves for that!

Lastly, converting gear into materia can be done by anyone and if 1.x was any indication you can turn a pretty sweet profit by buying basic gear from crafters to go spiritbind into materia. Non-crafters could make good money doing this. If they got lucky, better money than the crafter making that gear for the time invested.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Played for on over an hour. Went Thethamaurgeuihuhufef (after the Conjurer). Had a great blast. I am basically popping my MMORPG cherry after dabbling a bit in WOW and hating it, and trying to get into the Old Republic and also hating it. Playing this with the gamepad was so easy and well done. Also, got a Fate event that was frantic.

Faced two bugs though!

1) Opening FMV was cut in half. Only bottom showed.
2) Sometimes screen would go black and FPS lag a lot, drop to under 20 constantly unless I went back to desktop and opened the game again.

Kemal86

The contrast will go up naturally as a result of downsampling but you can counter act this by altering the in game gamma settings. Don't expect it to be as bright/washed out as it would be at 1080p (it's one of the reasons people downsample; to get better contrast and darkness) but you can brighten it up a tad. Mine is around 95% at 1440p.

Thanks. Heh, maybe it's because my eyesight is very poor or the lighting conditions in the room, but I really prefer the "washed out" look of 1080P... I just can't get the gamma high enough to feel like I'm not losing detail with how dark everything looks. Might just take time for me to get used to it perhaps.

omlet

2) Sometimes screen would go black and FPS lag a lot, drop to under 20 constantly unless I went back to desktop and opened the game again.

This is happening to people with certain NVIDIA cards/drivers, and, AFAIK, only those people. I think with 670s? Not sure of the specifics. I have a 670 and in a few dozen hours of beta (across all phases) I only had the screen black on me briefly once but it recovered quickly and didn't tank my FPS like some people are experiencing.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
This is happening to people with certain NVIDIA cards/drivers, and, AFAIK, only those people. I think with 670s? Not sure of the specifics. I have a 670 and in a few dozen hours of beta (across all phases) I only had the screen black on me briefly once but it recovered quickly and didn't tank my FPS like some people are experiencing.

670 here! I updated my driver maybe a month or two ago so maybe I should try a newer one.

I will agree to disagree about the characters in Crisis core being good. Not that Crisis Core was a good example of character integrity across games.

Making Zack into the super badass role model in every post FF7 game has killed a bunch of the original game for me, since it directly takes away from what I thought was character development and characterizations. Original Zack was a grunt who was killed off screen and it showed how broken Cloud's mind was that that was who it chose to copy. Not some shining example that made sense for him to want to be. Nearly everything after FF7 has served to take away from Cloud, and give to Zack.

Anyway, gone off on too much of a tangent now so moving on.

Chances it was a technical issue than anything else. In every respect Zach was stronger to than Cloud. So if it makes sense that cloud can be shot down by two grunts I can agree with you. But seeing how Zach was actually a soldier first class, one would imagine he was much stronger and the things represented in VII was because of technical issues and nothing more.

Jijidasu

A few shots to show what to expect when using downsampling, sweetfx and SGSSAA.

15.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

Jinko

Leves will be pretty critical to leveling crafts as they were in 1.x. To anyone who wants to level DoH I advise you to stockpile some leves for that!

Crafting leves in ARR make you provide your own materials, so they aren't very good like they were in 1.0. (unless they changed them since phase 2)

So although you will get the extra XP from handing in leves they could be quite expensive to complete depending on the materials. (a bit like Tera I guess)

Apoptomon

I had that happen today also, but the FMV was the one that plays when you get on an airship for the first time, not the opening one.

Played through the three Lvl 15-17 storyline dungeons today. Copperbell Mine is really annoying and apparently not designed for a party of two gladiators, a marauder, and a conjurer. Came really close to winning though on second-last attempt at the boss fight before the duty timer ran out.

Syraxith

I just got into the beta, is it me or does it seem like it's really easy to lvl up? Is that due to the beta (doubled/tripled XP rates?) or was that how the game was when it first came out?

Azrael

Hideously slow? lol... Did you play 1.x before 1.2 version? ARR crafting is hyperspeed compared to that. Crafting is faster now than it was in 1.x which makes the painful part of the process less painful but it's still "slow" compared to battle class leveling, which is fine. Crafting is and should remain something that isn't designed to be for everyone otherwise it just turns into meaningless throw-away element of the game like crafting in WoW or TERA...

Lastly, converting gear into materia can be done by anyone and if 1.x was any indication you can turn a pretty sweet profit by buying basic gear from crafters to go spiritbind into materia. Non-crafters could make good money doing this. If they got lucky, better money than the crafter making that gear for the time invested.

I hit a wall with Armorer after level 10. Every synth requires ice shards. I managed to find Ice Shards for sale in the market only once, and NPCs don't sell them. I don't know of a good way to farm them either, as there are no low-level ice elementals that I've seen, and the harvesting guide I read didn't list any low tier spots for harvesting them. I think high level crafters will be in high demand to add materia to items and for the housing system, but it's going to be really tough to level a crafting job if the beta is anything to go by.

Mastamind

I hit a wall with Armorer after level 10. Every synth requires ice shards. I managed to find Ice Shards for sale in the market only once, and NPCs don't sell them. I don't know of a good way to farm them either, as there are no low-level ice elementals that I've seen, and the harvesting guides I've read don't list any low tier spots for harvesting them. I think high level crafters will be in high demand to add materia to items and for the housing system, but it's going to be really tough to level a crafting job if the beta is anything to go by.

Botany. You can find them in he area just outside gridania.

Eyerox

Played for on over an hour. Went Thethamaurgeuihuhufef (after the Conjurer). Had a great blast. I am basically popping my MMORPG cherry after dabbling a bit in WOW and hating it, and trying to get into the Old Republic and also hating it. Playing this with the gamepad was so easy and well done. Also, got a Fate event that was frantic.

Faced two bugs though!

Fix for cutscenes cut in half. I don't have the problem. Info comes from reddit.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/236090/discussions/0/864973032857761296/#p2

omlet

Crafting leves in ARR make you provide your own materials, so they aren't very good like they were in 1.0. (unless they changed them since phase 2)

So although you will get the extra XP from handing in leves they could be quite expensive to complete depending on the materials. (a bit like Tera I guess)

They still reward you nicely so they are still good to do if you're leveling. Much better for the economy the way they are now vs. how they were in 1.x.

I hit a wall with Armorer after level 10. Every synth requires ice shards. I managed to find Ice Shards for sale in the market only once, and NPCs don't sell them. I don't know of a good way to farm them either, as there are no low-level ice elementals that I've seen, and the harvesting guide I read didn't list any low tier spots for harvesting them. I think high level crafters will be in high demand to add materia to items and for the housing system, but it's going to be really tough to level a crafting job if the beta is anything to go by.

Shards and crystals are purely from gathering classes now. They are super easy to get and you can collect dozens in minutes. If you don't want to level DoL then you can buy them from the wards or get a friend to give you some.

Of course, being beta, the market wards are completely unrepresentative of the way the economy will actually be at launch. I can't imagine many people are spending a lot of time on DoL and those that are are probably not gathering up shards to sell.

Jijidasu

Fixed the compression stuff, silly imgur.

I was having a poke around the beta forums and I'm surprised how serious the responsiveness issue is. I never noticed how bad it was until looking at those .gifs. It's kind of alarming there's no response from the developers yet too.

I was having a poke around the beta forums and I'm surprised how serious the responsiveness issue is. I never noticed how bad it was until looking at those .gifs. It's kind of alarming there's no response from the developers yet too.

Yeah, I noticed it here and there with casting animations from certain mobs, but after seeing that thread there is a definitely a legitimate cause for concern here.

What I'm afraid of, is that the "yes, there's a delay" that was posted regarding healing actions in the feedback list is their response. I don't see how anyone playing the game that got hit by something they thought they were out in time for (should be pretty much everybody) hasn't noticed this issue.

I really want them to provide an official response about that.

Are the JP forums complaining about the same thing? (sometimes I think they are better at getting dev responses for obvious reasons.. )

What I'm afraid of, is that the "yes, there's a delay" that was posted regarding healing actions in the feedback list is their response. I don't see how anyone playing the game that got hit by something they thought they were out in time for (should be pretty much everybody) hasn't noticed this issue.

Are the JP forums complaining about the same thing? (sometimes I think they are better at getting dev responses for obvious reasons.. )

I though that referred to the fact cures and Medica spells have to travel to the objective. So yeah, there's always a delay by design...

Jijidasu

I haven't really looked in the JP forums for complaints about response delay but I haven't noticed any problems avoiding AOE stuff and stuff in the Ifrit fight, neither has my FC (JP) - although this could just be that I run the second I see something as a habit from Ifrit Extreme. I doubt the issue is only for western players though.

I though that referred to the fact cures and Medica spells have to travel to the objective. So yeah, there's always a delay by design...

I hope that is all it refers to, is what I was saying.

I'm sure even Yoshi has seen this (given the recent devblog with him doing ifrit)

I can avoid most things fine by booking it as soon as the circle appears, but the cast bar has been misleading before.. sometimes I've been hit by things when I was out at 70% and others I've been able to avoid it.

Azrael

Shards and crystals are purely from gathering classes now. They are super easy to get and you can collect dozens in minutes. If you don't want to level DoL then you can buy them from the wards or get a friend to give you some

Thanks. Hopefully Miner can farm ice shards too though, because Armorers should not need to level Botanist just to farm shards for synths.

Allard

Thanks. Hopefully Miner can farm ice shards too though, because Armorers should not need to level Botanist just to farm shards for synths.

All shards can be obtained on either class, but the place you can find them are interspersed throughout the game world and some you can only gather at higher lvls on one class compared to the opposing class (Botanist vs Miner etc.), furthermore you get a selection of abilities at lvl 20 on both classes that basically allows you to get more then 1 shard/crystal at a time. They are also all lvl 1 (for shards) so after a certain point you can get 100% mining/chopping result. You could easily get like 100-200 shards in 10 minutes of constant work, all the type you want, you just need to get to the right area. However that also means you want to go for certain results since the shards will give next to no EXP after a certain lvl.

I hope that is all it refers to, is what I was saying.

I'm sure even Yoshi has seen this (given the recent devblog with him doing ifrit)

I can avoid most things fine by booking it as soon as the circle appears, but the cast bar has been misleading before.. sometimes I've been hit by things when I was out at 70% and others I've been able to avoid it.

Yeah, I've been afected by it but, unless there's something very wrong in the netcode and server side like in 1.0, I think there's something they can at least improve.

It may be too because of the load of the servers, I felt it was worst in the first week of 3 phase on new servers than later on legacy servers.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
I love the game. Makes my CPU hot as heck though. Don't wanna play anymore since characters don't move over and I don't wanna miss the fun stuff... but I like the game. A lot. Will surely buyit.

Boss Man

I'd be more willing to accept Lightning in the game if I felt like the point of it was including past FF heroes as cameos as an ongoing thing. Granted, I still think that's tacky but whatever it's just a difference of opinion I guess.

The wording in the interview where he mentioned that he was going to make sure it fit made it clear that this was just a thing to get Lightning in, and any cameos after this would be a thing that happens separately. It isn't like a long chain of planned events or anything, and he specifically said that they aren't going to have each hero in FFXIV or anything.

So it's clearly just a case of them wanting to advertise Lightning, which is aggravating in a subscription MMO regardless of how hard they try to make it make sense. That's where I land on it at least. To be fair though, I'd still probably be pretty harsh about it even if it was Zidane or something and the LR attachment wasn't there.

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Is the CE worth it? The beta has me by the balls. I want to invest time into the game. Any real benefits to CE vs Normal?

Is the CE worth it? The beta has me by the balls. I want to invest time into the game. Any real benefits to CE vs Normal?

It just gives you some extra in-game items.

It gives you a coeurl mount, baby behemoth pet (hopelessly cute) and a couple other things. If those sound good to you, then go for the digital CE.

If they don't interest you, you're not missing out on anything important by getting the regular edition.

Yeah, I've been afected by it but, unless there's something very wrong in the netcode and server side like in 1.0, I think there's something they can at least improve.

It may be too because of the load of the servers, I felt it was worst in the first week of 3 phase on new servers than later on legacy servers.

Yeah, that's true.. and some of the things in that thread are things I haven't experienced much if at all. Lag with merchants, etc. It's usually really quick for me.

I've noticed that some monsters' AOE abilities are more prone to it than others. I did Haukke Manor a few times today and none of us had any trouble getting out of any AOE in there, even late in the casting time (one of our dps ran out of the circle at like 85-90% and he was not hit)

Jijidasu

Anyone had extreme latency problems in the past few days? I had perfect connection to the server at the start of phase 3 so I started to think it was just the increase in people however when playing with a friend he said he had no lag at all. I'm talking received packets hitting up to 5k kind of lag. Was impossible to participate in the dungeon at all.

Couldn't find much on the forums, though it's a bit hard to find anything on there now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom