• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT2| ARR: Phase 4 August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hm, okay. Why should we care about them? Are they known for being dicks everywhere they go or what? Like I said, if it's only 1 FC, I don't see how it can "kill / destroy" a server.

There's no reason to care about the Goons unless you play EVE. They are mostly a non-presence in other MMOs, mainly because Goon guilds are relatively small due to the paid status of their forum and tend to die quite quickly even compared to other community guilds. There's a strange phobia concerning the Goons because of their famous exploits in EVE which I never understood.

In general, the Goons keep to themselves and if you run into some and are chill with them they are harmless. Unless you play EVE.

People who say that 4chan or SA "destroy" servers have little idea what these people are about and most certainly have never played with them. The thing about 4chan and SA is that by and large, they are all gamers too like GAF. They just want a bunch of other like-minded individuals to play games with, and in games where starting out with a large social circle like MMOs they are really great to have people to play with right off the bat. The large community guilds are all like this, with the notable exception of Reddit. I've met some of the worst players, in terms of actually be able to play the game, in the Reddit guilds for reasons I do not yet understand.

Maybe there is cause for concern, but honestly i've never had problems with the attack circles. If you just remove yourself the instant you see it, and wait till it disappears, you'll be ok.

There will come a time with higher level content where you will not be given the same tolerance for mistakes where it will effect you if this continues to be a problem.

ebil

Maybe there is cause for concern, but honestly i've never had problems with the attack circles. If you just remove yourself the instant you see it, and wait till it disappears, you'll be ok.
It's not about having problems with dodging attacks on easy low level content in a Beta. I haven't had any problems either after adjusting to the 1 second latency because everything was so easy and forgiving.
Endgame is going to be a huge issue for many players if they don't fix this. If it isn't an issue then, I'll be concerned over endgame difficulty to be honest. And PvP will be an exercise in futility with players being dead before the match has even started on their end.

ebil

wait what?
beta 4 and retail won't use this anymore?
jesus christ we gotta download everything all over again? god

just to be clear, we can uninstall the ffxlv arr beta?
Yes, you can uninstall it. You may want to save your character creation data.

Both the Windows and PS3 clients used for beta test phase 3 cannot be used for beta test phase 4 or official service. Please delete the client at the end of this beta test phase.

Character Appearance Data
Character appearance data saved during beta test phase 3 can be used when creating a character during beta test phase 4 and official service. Those who wish to use their appearance data should not delete the following folder:
Windows
My Documents -> My Games -> FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn (Beta Version)
PlayStation®3
(From "XMB") Game → Saved Data Utility (PS3™)

Taruranto

Meh, there are good people and annoying people everywhere. Categorizing people according to which website they browse is kinda silly. You simply can't put people in a box on the fucking Internet.

Norua

Banned
Meh, there are good people and annoying people everywhere. Categorizing people according to which website they browse is kinda silly. You simply can't put people in a box on the fucking Internet.

Cyberacism.

Unknown : Thanks for the clarification.

Ravidrath

People only say this because they browse / are part of one of those groups. People also hate being lumped in with GAF.

You know that they have a bad rep. You may not agree with or understand it, but you also choose to associate with them, despite their rep. So I think you need to just accept that.

So rather than being defensive about being lumped in with them, ignore it. If you really are better than their reputation, no one will care where you came from and, hey, you might even improve their rep.

And if it really bothers you, you could try to tell the other community that they need to improve their rep... but I don't really see that happening.

Taruranto

People only say this because they browse / are part of one of those groups. People also hate being lumped in with GAF.

You know that they have a bad rep. You may not agree with or understand it, but you also choose to associate with them, despite their rep. So I think you need to just accept that.

So rather than being defensive about being lumped in with them, ignore it. If you really are better than their reputation, no one will care where you came from and, hey, you might even improve their rep.

And if it really bothers you, you could try to tell the other community that they need to improve their rep... but I don't really see that happening.

I need to accept... what? What the hell are you even going on about?

Riposte

sampleiisbu.png
sample2orsdu.png
sample3g6s0z.png
sample4otskt.png

So I was thinking I would offer the little flag icons you see in these sample avatars I've made as a way for posters to modify their avatars to show their excitement for an upcoming game. They would likely represent grand company allegiance. I was considering using literal flags, but I found they don't look too hot when you shrink them down to fit.

As far the avatars themselves, these are four-five examples from a pool of about 50-60 I've made over the last week (may delete 5 or so for quality over quantity purposes). Probably too bothered to make anymore, even though I haven't made one for Shiva or Siren yet. Most of them are currently images with transparent backgrounds like you see with the fairy and Nael ones. The Moogle Mog crew one is actually two avatars I've put together: the Dalamud/legacy one working as a background and the moogles being another one with a transparent background. Don't know if people like avatars with transparent backgrounds like that, but at least they easy to add into anything else and fit naturally on any skin.

Another question is whether I should have them posted with the OT or ask whoever is making the phase 4 beta thread to post them.

Jiraiza

There's no reason to care about the Goons unless you play EVE. They are mostly a non-presence in other MMOs, mainly because Goon guilds are relatively small due to the paid status of their forum and tend to die quite quickly even compared to other community guilds. There's a strange phobia concerning the Goons because of their famous exploits in EVE which I never understood.

In general, the Goons keep to themselves and if you run into some and are chill with them they are harmless. Unless you play EVE.

People who say that 4chan or SA "destroy" servers have little idea what these people are about and most certainly have never played with them. The thing about 4chan and SA is that by and large, they are all gamers too like GAF. They just want a bunch of other like-minded individuals to play games with, and in games where starting out with a large social circle like MMOs they are really great to have people to play with right off the bat. The large community guilds are all like this, with the notable exception of Reddit. I've met some of the worst players, in terms of actually be able to play the game, in the Reddit guilds for reasons I do not yet understand.

4chan collectively (as could be said of any other group, Reddit, Goons or whatever, etc) may be terrible but individually, there are pretty nice guys on there. I played with a /vg/ group on PSO2 and aside from having to settle in and trying to get people to talk to you, they were a group of nice people that were fun to play with. I am, at the very least!

Anyway, I agree, everybody's a bro except for a few asshole snowflakes. Just gotta reach out to them (which can be frustrating in its own right).

Onemic

I don't know about SA, but 4chan rightfully deserves their titles of being fucking assholes. If you're a woman/non straight/non white you're pretty much open to the most bigoted bullshit coming from them. The amount of hateful shit they do just for the 'lulz' is stupid. They can be gamers like you and me, but I don't want to play with a group of people known to cause grief to certain people and groups, just cause it's funny.

I don't know about SA, but 4chan rightfully deserves their titles of being fucking assholes. If you're a woman/non straight/non white you're pretty much open to the most bigoted bullshit coming from them. The amount of hateful shit they do just for the 'lulz' is stupid. They can be gamers like you and me, but I don't want to play with a group of people known to cause grief to certain people and groups, just cause it's funny.

4chan does require people to have a bit of a thicker skin and doesn't ban people for hurting feelings. I find it funny that you think that straight white men are free from the ridicule that goes on there though. Everything is fair game. You are correct that it isn't for everyone as some would rage out that you can't shame them into not making fun of things that offend you. Person you quoted is correct as well, in that in games they act more or less like anyone else and I doubt you would be able to pick them out of the crowd like the monstrosity you think they are.
There is also quite a large overlap between 4chan and gaf.

tl;dr - Haters gonna hate.

So, you don't understand anything about 4chan's culture and attack them over their unusual usage of English words. Welp.

Let me give you a hint: the usage of the word 'f*****t' has a very specific meaning which exists only there. Until you can figure that out, you are not qualified to talk about 4chan. Also, all of 4chan is not /b/ and /b/ is not all of 4chan.

Thinking 4chan is only white people is actually itself racist. 4chan is a more global site than GAF is, though like most places on the Internet, English is the de-facto standard language.

Taruranto

This is the second time you've been defensive about people reacting to 4chan and Something Awful players.

Sorry, just a pet peeve of mine.

I'm not "defensive", I just state my opinion.

Honestly, everyone who has been on the Internet for a while knows that every forum/group think he is better than the other, so worrying about reputation is kinda silly. And so is thinking that people necessarily belong to one group or another. The same nice guy on GAF may be the same asshole guy from 4chan or SA or gamefaqs or whatever, you'll never know.

I'm not "defensive", I just state my opinion.

Honestly, everyone who has been on the Internet for a while knows that every forum/group think he is better than the other, so worrying about reputation is kinda silly. And so is thinking that people necessarily belong to one group or another. The same nice guy on GAF may be the same asshole guy from 4chan or SA or gamefaqs or whatever, you'll never know.

The part that is most amusing to me is that he seems to be unaware of the fact that GAF has gained it's own bad reputation on the Internet. Blindly talking about the bad reputation that 4chan and SA may or may not have but being completely oblivious to the fact that GAF has a reputation of its own is an impressive display of ignorance on his part.

Onemic

So, you don't understand anything about 4chan's culture and attack them over their unusual usage of English words. Welp.

Let me give you a hint: the usage of the word 'f*****t' has a very specific meaning which exists only there. Until you can figure that out, you are not qualified to talk about 4chan. Also, all of 4chan is not /b/ and /b/ is not all of 4chan.

Thinking 4chan is only white people is actually itself racist. 4chan is a more global site than GAF is, though like most places on the Internet, English is the de-facto standard language.

Yes, the word faggot means something completely different on 4chan and therefore they are exempt from ridicule. I'm sure their nigger and fried chicken jokes are as well.

I'm also sure the amount of people that say those same words in real life, but aren't 'really' referring to those that the words mean to offend are just swell people too. Not bigots at all.

Yes, the word faggot means something completely different on 4chan and therefore they are exempt from ridicule. I'm sure their nigger and fried chicken jokes are as well.

I'm also sure the amount of people that say those same words in real life, but aren't 'really' referring to those that the words mean to offend are just swell people too. Not bigots at all.

I do believe there is a word use to describe people who only are tolerant of their own point of view and opinions and discriminate against those who think differently. A word you seem fond of using too.

Onemic

I do believe there is a word use to describe people who only are tolerant of their own point of view and opinions and discriminate against those who think differently. A word you seem fond of using too.

I find it funny that you defend their use of racial and homophobic slurs when there are people that are actually hurt and offended by it because of the realities they have to deal with in their daily life. And here you are calling me a bigot because I don't lie down and say "oh, they're just joking guys!". That's rich.

I find it funny that you defend their use of racial and homophobic slurs when there are people that are actually hurt and offended by it because of the realities they have to deal with in their daily life. And here you are calling me a bigot because I don't lie down and say "oh, they're just joking guys!". That's rich.

This back and forth has gone on too long and has passed off topic so I'm going to wash my hands of it now. There really is no reason for me to care about how much you want to impose your beliefs and morals onto others. Just pains me to see someone trying to spread their hatred of something they don't understand. Anyway, keep fighting the good fight friendly friend.

LowParry

Let's talk about how they acknowledged that there is server lag and discuss if they're going to be able to do anything about it before launch instead!

IF there is something done about it, probably won't happen for a month or two. But at least they've acknowledged it on the forums. So it's a start.

ZiZ

sampleiisbu.png
sample2orsdu.png
sample3g6s0z.png
sample4otskt.png

So I was thinking I would offer the little flag icons you see in these sample avatars I've made as a way for posters to modify their avatars to show their excitement for an upcoming game. They would likely represent grand company allegiance. I was considering using literal flags, but I found they don't look too hot when you shrink them down to fit.

As far the avatars themselves, these are four-five examples from a pool of about 50-60 I've made over the last week (may delete 5 or so for quality over quantity purposes). Probably too bothered to make anymore, even though I haven't made one for Shiva or Siren yet. Most of them are currently images with transparent backgrounds like you see with the fairy and Nael ones. The Moogle Mog crew one is actually two avatars I've put together: the Dalamud/legacy one working as a background and the moogles being another one with a transparent background. Don't know if people like avatars with transparent backgrounds like that, but at least they easy to add into anything else and fit naturally on any skin.

Another question is whether I should have them posted with the OT or ask whoever is making the phase 4 beta thread to post them.

wow, 50 avatars? you outdid yourself Riposte!
The multiple GC emblem idea is great. it's a lot better than adding only one standard icon, makes it more interesting and gets people curious about what they mean.

Really looking forward to your OT!

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
sampleiisbu.png
sample2orsdu.png
sample3g6s0z.png
sample4otskt.png

OT should be up 1 month before the game, but as we going first with a OpenBeta, i think you can make the OT already.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
After talking with some of the Red Dot guys, I'm ready to rock. Just need to decide between my male or female Galka.

Xux

sampleiisbu.png
sample2orsdu.png
sample3g6s0z.png
sample4otskt.png

Those are awesome. I'd love to rock one hyping up that Phase 4. :D
Female, their emotes are amazing. Played one all through Phase 3 and loved every second of it.
Their thumbs up is pretty great.

Riposte

OT should be up 1 month before the game, but as we going first with a OpenBeta, i think you can make the OT already.

1 month could be tough. That's a bit earlier than August 1st. Ebil and I are still trying to find the best combinations of image and text and I was hoping to try PvP before writing about it. We are trying to put a huge amount of effort into this one. Another thing that is holding me back a bit is a (math...) placement test I have to do for school stuff, which I'll be done with tomorrow. I'm not saying we can't do it, but it wasn't exactly something we planned for. If you don't mind waiting a little longer, I can promise to post it as soon as it is ready instead of waiting until 1 week before official release.

EDIT: The OT will not be 56k friendly.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Have you SEEN Merlwyb Bloefhiswyn? There's nothing sickly about those generously sized, uh, assets.

Also, because of their hulking size, it's pretty hard for Galkas to look sickly in general.

Merlwyb is indeed a fine looking lady. However, in general, I find the Sea Wolf NPCs weird looking in cutscenes and such.

Xux

1 month could be tough. That's a bit earlier than August 1st. Ebil and I are still trying to find the best combinations of image and text and I was hoping to try PvP before writing about it. We are trying to put a huge amount of effort into this one. Another thing that is holding me back a bit is a (math...) placement test I have to do for school stuff, which I'll be done with tomorrow. I'm not saying we can't do it, but it wasn't exactly something we planned for. If you don't mind waiting a little longer, I can promise to post it as soon as it is ready instead of waiting until 1 week before official release.

I don't mind waiting. Also, what's 56k?
Merlwyb is indeed a fine looking lady. However, in general, I find the Sea Wolf NPCs weird looking in cutscenes and such.
They should make the beards mandatory for males like in FFXI.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member

Post when it is ready, no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom