• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowerTaxi

Banned
If you aren't a tank, I would dare solo those. Even if you are, it's a good idea to do those with other people when you can.

Granted, I'm guilty of that myself. I always feel like I'm putting other people out when I ask, since they only get a few hundred Gil for helping me out.

I've done a few solo. Today was first time I've died.

Forgot to open the chest the other time >_>.

Ark

I started out on the PS3 version from launch and play on the PS4 now, using a fibre line in That London. I had some occasional issues with lag and dropouts when playing over Wi-Fi, but since I switched to using a wired connection on my PS4, I've never had any trouble that wasn't the servers' fault. If it helps, my ISP is EE.

The GAF FC has a decent core of EU players. As for the general Ultros population, depends what you mean during EU hours really. During the day, it is pretty quiet, no way around it. It starts to pick up in the evening, but if you want to raid, you're probably going to have to go out of your way to find a group of people who run reasonable UK times. But since you're new to the game, maybe raiding is a bit of a secondary concern for the time being. Although progress through the story and the journey from level 1 - 50 is gated by dungeons and bosses, a great deal of it is done solo, so for that part of the game at least, I don't think playing on an NA server is such a big deal. I'd estimate that playing through the main campaign and going from 1-50 takes about three weeks with casual play, so there's a lot to do. There's also a lot of extra stuff you can do solo like crafting items or gathering items for crafts depending on what you want to get out of the game. (I like to craft, gather and create materia to sell when the server is quiet. It's pretty nice to spread stuff around the market boards and then see notifications of sales start to roll in when the NA players get on.)

You might want to consider rolling a tank (gladiator or marauder) as your first class - that way even during the slow periods before most of the North Americans wake up, you can still easily get through queues for dungeons/bosses. The downside is that tanking is a lot more responsibility and you might need thick skin.

Anyway, I hope the above doesn't sound too discouraging about playing on Ultros from the UK, I just wanted to try and paint a fair picture so you could draw your own conclusions. I'm personally fine with it, and activity in the GAF FC is more EU-friendly than I expected, so suck it and see, I guess. Once you've done the initial bit of story to open the game up (levels 1-15), you can get through it pretty quickly a second time (since you'll know exactly what to do and you can skip a lot of cutscenes without missing anything), so if you don't like it on Ultros, it's no big deal to reroll. Or you could drop 12 squid on a world transfer if you're really attached.

I played WoW for a few years so I'm definitely going to want to try out the raiding content FFXIV has on offer; was also going to roll a dps mage too. Played a healer & tank in WoW and it'd be nice to play a different role haha. I'll give it a try anyway at the end of the week and see, thanks a lot :)

Allard

So company seals are still useless in 2.28 ? Why Savage Might Materia IV (+6 determination) cost so much 300k+ gils ?

The most recent addition to the Relic Upgrade line has you basically adding in your secondary stats manually and it requires the full spectrum of tier 1-4 materia and several of them at that with some chance for blow up. The savage line and piety are thus really expensive tier IV's at the moment, even more so then before. Company seals are useful if marginally so with venture coin buying and occasionally selling the old philosophy mats if you need 'some' additional gil since aside from the new three dungeons and treasure hunts that is the only place you can get them now.

chris-013

Interesting... not sure why It's only for the relic weapon and why they need to infuse 75 times the scroll to obtain the weapon with all the bonus and not give the materia bonus right from the start then give the final bonus at the end...

Anyways I hope we will see more equipments with this system because the materias was near useless before.

aceface

It's weird because the Tier III materia seem to be going down on Ultros. Savage might and Savage aim dropped from around 30,000 to around 20,000 each in the past few days. Spiritbonders flooding the market?

Aeana

Halatali HM, best bard ever:

First boss → Total DPS: 822, BLM: 395, WAR: 166, SCH(me): 153, BRD: 108
Second boss → Total DPS: 471, BLM: 236, WAR: 140, SCH(me): 76, BRD: 19 [in this fight, the BRD died and released]
Last boss → Total DPS: 555, BLM: 197, SCH(me): 154, WAR: 104, BRD: 80, Limit: 21

It takes something special to be consistently outDPSed by a healer, I think.

WolvenOne

It's weird because the Tier III materia seem to be going down on Ultros. Savage might and Savage aim dropped from around 30,000 to around 20,000 each in the past few days. Spiritbonders flooding the market?

Anyone reaching Tier 4 has more Tier 3 than they need, because of how materia RNG works. The excess is simply being liquidated. That said in a week, prices will skyrocket again, because of ilvl90 crafted accessories.

Incidentally, I'm thinking of taking the ilvl90 crafted Tank pieces, and melding DPS materia to it, too create a hybrid Tank/DPS set. Only thing giving me pause is the cost, and that this would be highly experimental for me.

Kenai

Interesting... not sure why It's only for the relic weapon and why they need to infuse 75 times the scroll to obtain the weapon with all the bonus and not give the materia bonus right from the start then give the final bonus at the end...

Anyways I hope we will see more equipments with this system because the materias was near useless before.

The same materia that was useless pre-patch is the same materia that's useless now. Some of the gathering ones are questionable but since the 3 star recipes came out the crafting ones have all been pretty healthy, at least on Ultros. It's always been the resist matera and the matera that is not used for relics/highest level crafted gear that's been the problem and that hasn't changed much at all.

I think bottlenecking the useful battle materia into a few key items and making the requirements ridiculous (getting +1 to a stat from a tier IV and then leaving it with up to a 50% chance of breaking depending on where you are in the process) is dumb. There is only a small chance at getting any Tier 4 IV to begin with and the odds of getting the one you actually want are even lower on top of that, *plus* at some point they could change how much we value said stat which would really suck after all that work. I was fine up until Novus but I really don't like how this was done. If they made Tier IVs easier to acquire I might not care as much, but they shouldn't be so much rarer than the IIIs when quests like this exist now, especially with how the caps and %s to attach work.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

1394563669531.gif

WolvenOne

Incidentally, while I'm not planning to do this anytime soon. What class would you have to level up and gear out to make crafted accessories, particularly for Tanks?

Might make spirit binding a bit easier, at least.

Second boss → Total DPS: 471, BLM: 236, WAR: 140, SCH(me): 76, BRD: 19 [in this fight, the BRD died and released]
Last boss → Total DPS: 555, BLM: 197, SCH(me): 154, WAR: 104, BRD: 80, Limit: 21

How do you figure out the DPS? Some kind of other PC software?

I really wish you could parse stuff from PS4 (you can't right). Yesterday I got a BLM with an ilvl 44 weapon on Wanderer's Place. I got to see 3 spaws of adds in the second boss and for the first time ever wipe on it (It was a first for the whole party as well). We were pretty impressed with him.

SkyOdin

Incidentally, while I'm not planning to do this anytime soon. What class would you have to level up and gear out to make crafted accessories, particularly for Tanks?

Might make spirit binding a bit easier, at least.

The vast majority of accessories are made by Goldsmiths. They make rings, earrings, bracelets, and chokers for every combat class. There are a few kinds of jewelry made by leatherworkers as well, but mostly for gathering classes.

CozMick

Banned
Man, A Relic Reborn has got to be the most tedious A to B to A to B to A to B to A to B to A to B to A to B to A to B........quest in the history of gaming.

Fuck Gerolt, piss taking, horrible human being.

/end vent.

On the plus side a finally got my hands on ifrits cane on BoE (hard).

Ken

at least they threw chimera and hydra into DF so you only ever have to physically go to their locations once now

BAN

Jayhawk

I hope they add tier 5 materia soon, or else it would be hard to stack the i90 crafted accessories with capped VIT and secondary stats.

Tabris

I hope they add tier 5 materia soon, or else it would be hard to stack the i90 crafted accessories with capped VIT and secondary stats.

I think that's a good thing. Right now it will be debatable between i110 and i90 crafted pent melded accessory. You don't want to make them out right better than i110.

Koriandrr

I think FFXIV is by far the best MMO I've played. And I've played them all... maybe. Let's say a lot.

I love how the holy trinity is quite different in XIV and actually forces dps to do loads of shit, unlike most other MMOs where everyone rolls dps so they can 1-2-3 shit and fap with the other hand.

I always play tanks and I'm quite happy with the PLD/WAR, it's definitely different than most other games, where, when you taunt it means the thing is gonna stick on you forever. Gives a bit of a challenge for new players to get used to it, but once you do it's fairly easy, especially with a 1-2-3-din. I'm overall really happy with every class having an important role.

One thing I don't get is why don't people roll tanks. Instead of increase in tanks, I only see decrease. And Yoshi-P tries so hard too.

I really need to do better inventory management. Both retainers have full inventories and I'm close to having a full inventory myself. Definitely not a good sign when I'm crafting

Ken

One thing I don't get is why don't people roll tanks. Instead of increase in tanks, I only see decrease. And Yoshi-P tries so hard too.

maybe people just genuinely don't like to play tanks?

also if we're throwing out reasons for tank shortage; playing a tank during progression is probably the worst thing ever.

omlet

Have you seen how much shit people give tanks? How high expectations get set for tanks?

That's maybe not the only answer but it's a big part of it.

klee123

It's due to the amount of responsibility tanks have in general, as they are expected to lead the party. Generally if a party wipes, the blame usually goes to the tank.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Tanking is boring, at least in my opinion. I would rather be DPSing and even then I would rather only be range DPSing.

Maybe you're just that good Tiv!

Lol did you mention anything to the bard?

Jayhawk

Based on how i70 accessories stat caps were like for Darklight vs Crafted, here are how the stat caps may look like for STR-based i90 crafted accessories:

STR+13
Comes with one secondary stat at +16 (or +11 for DET)
Comes with another secondary stat at +11 (or +8 for DET)

With materia melds, you can cap secondary stats up to +16 per stat (or +11 for DET) and VIT+15. You have five materia slots, so you could end up with a DPS accessory with the stats below if skill speed is not one of the secondary stats already on the accessory. Note that this requires using Tier 4 materia on four of the five slots.

STR+13
Crit+16
Acc+16
Det+11
VIT+15

MechaX

Solo Healing Titan Normal as a Black Mage was such a bizarre experience that I actually want to attempt to play a healer now. I guess it's the next logical step, because literally the only reason I leveled up SMN is because "I want to be able to raise people in battle."

Aeana, don't make fun of my Bard Alt!

The bard damage per attack is hella weak, but what makes up for that with the amount of attacks per second. Like the bard can get off probably 2-3 attacks(depending on animation) within the time span of one BLK attack.
If that bard is waiting for the cooldown for each attack, they aren't using the bard right. The bard has many attacks with their own cooldown, so there's a routine or combo of skills to use back to back to constantly keep the barrage of attacks coming non stop without waiting for the cooldown until you've reach the end of the skill routine, to start it all over again.

I really need to do better inventory management. Both retainers have full inventories and I'm close to having a full inventory myself. Definitely not a good sign when I'm crafting

I know how you feel man. I got a lvl 50 CUR and 48 Miner and got all the other disciple of hand at lvl 16 and higher, adn still leveling them up to some day lvl 50. Inventory becomes a serious issue, a issue so big, that I had two of my friends sign a petition for me to make my own guild with only me in it so i could use the company chest for store all food crafting since I craft so much food for all my classes and to sell. Got a miner to i could have all the crystals I want without having to buy any of them.

Haly

I rolled tank because I wanted to have some agency as to whether or not my party wipes.

I didn't realize that a lot of later dungeons were designed so that it's the DPS that has to do things while I'm facerolling my three button rotation, praying to the 12 that they're reading my instructions in party chat.

Insta-queue is nice though.

omlet

what's the fastest way to get seals at private first class rank?

I got 52500 seals in about 30 seconds last night. Felt good.
Seal-redeemable items I've had since 1.x with no reason to turn them in until now (for potash, etc.)

Ken

oh i found gc leves. hope they have good seals payout.

trying to max out my gc rank before hunts come out just in case.

when you say you cant do supply quests do you mean you havent unlocked them or they are just unavailable? If you want to trade in rare gear you just switch tabs

you can't do supply quests until sergeant second class or something

Haly

They pay about the same as FATEs, but only at the same level. Your scrub Guildleves aren't going to give you many Seals.

Man, A Relic Reborn has got to be the most tedious A to B to A to B to A to B to A to B to A to B to A to B to A to B........quest in the history of gaming.

Fuck Gerolt, piss taking, horrible human being.

/end vent.

On the plus side a finally got my hands on ifrits cane on BoE (hard).

I just finished that one myself and from what I gather, It only gets worse. Myth grinding makes chowder cry. ;~;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom