• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mesharey

Didn't do Titan ex. yet, the problem is that I'm a tank, so I have to know everything about it, I saw a video but it was long and kind of complicated.
There's a tank swap right? When should I do that?

I want to buy soldiery item, but I don't know which one, most of them seem to be worse than myth gear for a tank, can some one check my PLD gear?
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/7078319/

Edit: it seems gloves or waist.

iammeiam

Beat Titan EX for the first time tonight via DF and then I did Ifrit EX straight after.

The group I was with beat it on our 3rd try.

All I have to say is that coming from Titan EX, Ifrit seems like a bit of a whimper when it comes to the ex primals of the original 3.

Now I'm off to learning Leviathan EX!

WTB your DF groups. Mine seem to be decaying in quality--the first group I had actually made it past the final nails on, like, attempt 2 before a tank decided to run behind Ifrit before the other tank provoked him off. Incinerate for everyone! The low point today was a healer that absolutely did not understand the searing wind concept. The other one had to micromanage the positioning, and we still wiped during final nails when searing wind blasted half the group into Ifrit. Actually, that was second-lowest. Lowest point was a group where, in nail phase two, both tanks started beating up nails, leading to Ifrit eventually getting bored and visiting the roaming DPS/healer pack.

Do not understand how half of them have clears.

It does make me wish you could give comms on failed duties--there have been some amazingly patient people in those groups, and I wish I could reward them with one-fifth of one percent of a gilded magitek.

Edit: How to beat Ifrit EX in DF: Bitch on GAF thread. Next queue pop will steamroll it on round 2

dcye

I don't know what the ideal solution is. Maybe SE should stop making daily grind content for old players linked to content for new players? It's hard though, what else do they link the daily grind to? As there isn't that much content yet and still need to go through an expansion or 2 to get enough content.

Maybe the solution isn't on Square-Enix and its on you to not be an asshole.

Just a theory tho

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So a few of my friends are trying to get onto Ultros, and this site says you can create a character on there: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/news/detail/80cd4583bf743600105b947d6906d0909189e479

but...they aren't able to? They say the server name isn't lit up at all. :/ Is that lodestone post known for not being accurate? Do they have to wait until 11PM PST now to try again, or should they just keep trying?

The site is only updated at certain hours of the day, it's not a real time indication of server availability.

They'll probably have to wait until 1-4AM EST to get on Ultros.

dramatis

so, im thinking how to solve annoying the FC, maybe i should make a linkshell where i can invite people i dont annoy to talk and just hide the fc chat, i _know_ i annoy some people, which i dont want to.

its either that or maybe i should join another smaller fc that likes to talk more, my enjoyment comes out of sharing my stuff that happens, i cant play a game like its singleplayer only.

sorry to whoever i annoyed/offended.
Why spend so much time worried about offending other people? Did they say they were offended? As long as you're not harming others then you might as well keep blogging in fc chat. No other FC would accept a scrubby drg anyway

BLCKATK

So my break from raiding was shorter lived than I thought it. Took a few days off and missed it a lot. Felt good to be back in refreshed and ready to go, I actually even felt my performance go up. Sooo..

V3Pvs9T.png

Turn 8 down! Nervous about the next turn but still excited.

Ken

So my break from raiding was shorter lived than I thought it. Took a few days off and missed it a lot. Felt good to be back in refreshed and ready to go, I actually even felt my performance go up. Sooo..

Turn 8 down! Nervous about the next turn but still excited.

aren't you glad you didn't transfer to ultros

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
My Shiva theory

We all have heard that the Halone that Ishgard is worshipping might be Shiva.

I think the reason Coerthas is covered in snow and ice now isn't because of the calamity like everyone thinks, but was done by Shiva who is now controlling Ishgard.

Now this is where it gets interesting, the dragons might be Shiva's mortal enemy and that is why the recent Holy War against the Dragon's started again.

ReaperXL7

Man.....this Atma hunting is sucking my soul dry. 14 hours and I only have 4, the sad part is that I got those 4 in probably 4 and a half hours. The rest has been spent in Western Thanalan trying to get Twins and no luck so far.

Hard to believe I'm even bothering when Atma does not even give a stat boost.

Man.....this Atma hunting is sucking my soul dry. 14 hours and I only have 4, the sad part is that I got those 4 in probably 4 and a half hours. The rest has been spent in Western Thanalan trying to get Twins and no luck so far.

Hard to believe I'm even bothering when Atma does not even give a stat boost.

Try shuffling around to different areas when one is giving you a hard time. It doesn't magically up your drop rate chances, but at least it'll give you a change of scenery every now and then.

ReaperXL7

Try shuffling around to different areas when one is giving you a hard time. It doesn't magically up your drop rate chances, but at least it'll give you a change of scenery every now and then.

Yeah, that's actually how I got my forth was switching to central thanalan. It's just crazy how I can get one to pop in just about an hour or less in one zone only to waste 9 or more without in another.

I wish half of these "theories" floating around had any merit but Yoshi P himself said it's completely random. I hope they make it worth it in the end.

BadRNG

My Shiva theory

We all have heard that the Halone that Ishgard is worshipping might be Shiva.

I think the reason Coerthas is covered in snow and ice now isn't because of the calamity like everyone thinks, but was done by Shiva who is now controlling Ishgard.

Now this is where it gets interesting, the dragons might be Shiva's mortal enemy and that is why the recent Holy War against the Dragon's started again.
I've seen this theory a lot lately, which is part of the reason I don't like it, it's such a typical fantasy "twist" at this point
The religious head is actually a puppet/evil!
. Not sure why we are making spoilers since it's speculation but:

There's a few other issues I have with it too. For one thing Ishgards have had their holy war with Dravania practically since it's inception, which would make it extremely coincidental if Shiva happened to be their enemies and just happened to be able to impersonate Halone. We know she can't actually be Halone since Halone's power is used by people, most notably with Louisoix, but we know she exists in some form. Shiva has her own beast tribe too, supposed to be a new one that no one has seen yet. What does she even need Ishgard for?

I definitely agree that the unnatural weather they talk about is due to Shiva, but I don't think it's as simple as she's taken over Ishgard. At least I hope it's not. There's also the question of how the Ascians would play into this plotline. They are responsible for pretty much all the plots related to primals we have seen, and they were teased along with Ishgard/Shiva at the end There is no way they don't have their hands in this somehow.

omlet

So, kinda coming back to XIV after a 3~ month break... so many nice little improvements to discover.

I loooove the /changepose stuff. I was asking for that in beta and it's great to see it get added.

And man, I know this is like not a big deal to most people anymore, but I ran an unplanned T5 this weekend to help someone get clear and ended up finally getting my Allagan body for my monk to complete the entire Allagan set. It was the last piece I was missing and it eluded me for months when I was farming T5 earlier this year. So happy.

Then some cool guys in Red Dot ran all the new level 50 dungeons with me (including ones added while I was still playing like Haukke Hardmode that I just never bothered to do because why do that when you could speedrun WP) and I went from never having gotten any Soldiery tomes ever to being weekly-capped in one day.

Then I did a PUG T4 on a whim on my WHM and the Allagan tunic dropped (was still in Vanya). It's like the game really wants me back...

Now I've used up all my good luck so I'm going to just not even try to farm atmas.

iammeiam

Holy shit why are there so many ingredients in Walnut Bread. It's going to hurt every time I fail to HQ it.

Finally got all crafts to 15 (I can finally free up armory chest space by tossing out all my sub-15 crafting gear!), and am actually enjoying gathering things, then swapping classes to craft the components for whatever I'm ultimately trying to craft, but CUL is nuts. I hope the upside of pushing it to 50 is a ton of freed up retainer space as I work through all the crap I've been keeping.

Dabbled in gathering for a few hours and I enjoyed botany more than mining and fishing. Didn't take me very long to bump up at least 10 levels in botany. What I didn't like having to do was the Level 10 class quests. Getting 99 of the same item is not only a pain but excruciatingly boring. And as for fishing...fishing in Animal Crossing is more fun than fishing in this game. Nothing like using nearly 30 live bait just to catch three of the same fish :/

Back to crafting on Monday

Dabbled in gathering for a few hours and I enjoyed botany more than mining and fishing. Didn't take me very long to bump up at least 10 levels in botany. What I didn't like having to do was the Level 10 class quests. Getting 99 of the same item is not only a pain but excruciatingly boring. And as for fishing...fishing in Animal Crossing is more fun than fishing in this game. Nothing like using nearly 30 live bait just to catch three of the same fish :/

Back to crafting on Monday

Getting 99 of the same item is as easy as walking to the market board and buying a stack. Don't waste your time getting them by hand!

Qvoth

So, kinda coming back to XIV after a 3~ month break... so many nice little improvements to discover.

I loooove the /changepose stuff. I was asking for that in beta and it's great to see it get added.

in case you didn't know, there's an option for your character to auto changepose every few seconds (you can set the timer) so you don't have to manually /changepose, this doesn't work for sitting poses though

WolvenOne

My own theory is that Shiva is attempting to impersonate Halone and usurp worship, which might change her nature somewhat, but would also greatly augment her power. I mean really, all she would have to do is convince a few people she's Halone, get them worshipping her, then reveal that she's, "also," Shiva, and has always also been Shiva.

Well normally this would be really tough, but, some selective tempering would make it a lot easier.

Tabris

I kinda hope the Shiva has ice elements on the ground that make you slide around and have to dodge while sliding around by adjusting direction.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
I've seen this theory a lot lately, which is part of the reason I don't like it, it's such a typical fantasy "twist" at this point
The religious head is actually a puppet/evil!
. Not sure why we are making spoilers since it's speculation but:

Is it really that common in fantasy? I mean it's one of the most common tropes you'll see in JRPGs,
but I can't think of much in the way of western fantasy where that kind of plot is a thing except
'His Dark Materials'

Ark

I played the beta for this on PS4 and really enjoyed it, picked it up during the Steam Sale the other day and figured I'd ask if there was an EU server that GAF is playing on? I know most of GAF is on Ultros, but I would imagine playing UK - US would be laggy.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
I played the beta for this on PS4 and really enjoyed it, picked it up during the Steam Sale the other day and figured I'd ask if there was an EU server that GAF is playing on? I know most of GAF is on Ultros, but I would imagine playing UK - US would be laggy.

All US/EU servers are in US so ... :)

WolvenOne

I kinda hope the Shiva has ice elements on the ground that make you slide around and have to dodge while sliding around by adjusting direction.

That combined with even subtle lag would be a nightmare. Might be fun when every things working well though. XD

Working my way through the game and god I had fun yesterday with a group, One thing I like with this game is the threat monitor on the side. I play a healer and I think I pretty much off tanked every mob that the tank deemed not worthy of his agro!

Up to level 27 now and still enjoying it, had a few FC invites, but feel that as I'm still using a controller people might try talking and then consider me rude for not replying!

IMBored

Moogle EX Strikes again. Another Gaf group, so close to beat him two times, but mistakes where made. One week on the clock to bury that guy and his subjects.

WolvenOne

Man, I feel really bad about not helping more people past Moogle EM. Clearing him is going to be a necessity for Ramah EM, so really he's going to be an effective roadblock for a lot of players.

I feel like a broken record saying this, but the reason I haven't is because the Novus grind really has been all consuming lately. thankfully I'm at 42 out of 75, so I'm getting there. It'd go faster, but, I actually spend a lot of my time trying to find ways to gather up Myth that, "doesn't," revolve going into Brayflox HM. I actually still like that dungeon, but re-running those first few bosses gets repetitive fast these days.

Still, I really should find the time to try helping a few groups out. <_<;;

PowerTaxi

Banned
Moogle EX Strikes again. Another Gaf group, so close to beat him two times, but mistakes where made. One week on the clock to bury that guy and his subjects.

I had completely forgotten that I hadn't killed him. Managed to do it over the weekend with a pug after about 3 hours trying to find a group.

Didn't help at all that we killed it with about a second to spare.

IMBored

Man, I feel really bad about not helping more people past Moogle EM.

Don't worry, if you can't spare the time, you can always donate the gil to buy a carry ;P

I just wanted to take the time to thank everyone who came tonight. It was my first time organizing the event and I have learned a great deal of changes to make for next time. I would appreciate feedback and I will announce change implementations mid next week.

Any feedback as always is appreciated but please keep it constructive.

I know I am very late for this, but I want to thanks all involved in the pvp night, from the organizers that kept things roling to the pvp pros that helped me out.
I still don't understand much of the pvp strategy but now I have some pointers. Plus, some of the pvp stuff looks nice.

dc89

I have re-subbed at last. Going to make a new character as I wasn't that far into the game on PS3 as I knew it would be coming to PS4 with the upgraded graphics etc.

omlet

in case you didn't know, there's an option for your character to auto changepose every few seconds (you can set the timer) so you don't have to manually /changepose, this doesn't work for sitting poses though

Yeah, I did notice that it was doing it automatically after I stopped moving. Pretty neat.

And actually it does work for sitting, both on chairs and on the ground.

CozMick

Banned
Man I love this game, but coming into this thread my mind is blown with all the abbreviated words and talk of end game shit that I honestly havent got a single clue about.

Im currently grinding for gil and tomestone since reaching lvl50, now Im honestly baffled with the amount of things going on. Kinda putting me off playing tbh :(

My first mmo btw......I know Guild Wars doesnt count ;)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
Man I love this game, but coming into this thread my mind is blown with all the abbreviated words and talk of end game shit that I honestly havent got a single clue about.

I played since the beta and had no idea how to meld materia, its ok.

Also, I melded the wrong materia to my pre-relic two days ago. I still haven't lived that down haha.

Woah! I'd have thought EU servers would be in the EU haha. Well then, I'll try and get onto Ultros :)

How is the server's population during EU hours? Just want to know if it's going to be dead while I'm playing :p

I started out on the PS3 version from launch and play on the PS4 now, using a fibre line in That London. I had some occasional issues with lag and dropouts when playing over Wi-Fi, but since I switched to using a wired connection on my PS4, I've never had any trouble that wasn't the servers' fault. If it helps, my ISP is EE.

The GAF FC has a decent core of EU players. As for the general Ultros population, depends what you mean during EU hours really. During the day, it is pretty quiet, no way around it. It starts to pick up in the evening, but if you want to raid, you're probably going to have to go out of your way to find a group of people who run reasonable UK times. But since you're new to the game, maybe raiding is a bit of a secondary concern for the time being. Although progress through the story and the journey from level 1 - 50 is gated by dungeons and bosses, a great deal of it is done solo, so for that part of the game at least, I don't think playing on an NA server is such a big deal. I'd estimate that playing through the main campaign and going from 1-50 takes about three weeks with casual play, so there's a lot to do. There's also a lot of extra stuff you can do solo like crafting items or gathering items for crafts depending on what you want to get out of the game. (I like to craft, gather and create materia to sell when the server is quiet. It's pretty nice to spread stuff around the market boards and then see notifications of sales start to roll in when the NA players get on.)

You might want to consider rolling a tank (gladiator or marauder) as your first class - that way even during the slow periods before most of the North Americans wake up, you can still easily get through queues for dungeons/bosses. The downside is that tanking is a lot more responsibility and you might need thick skin.

Anyway, I hope the above doesn't sound too discouraging about playing on Ultros from the UK, I just wanted to try and paint a fair picture so you could draw your own conclusions. I'm personally fine with it, and activity in the GAF FC is more EU-friendly than I expected, so suck it and see, I guess. Once you've done the initial bit of story to open the game up (levels 1-15), you can get through it pretty quickly a second time (since you'll know exactly what to do and you can skip a lot of cutscenes without missing anything), so if you don't like it on Ultros, it's no big deal to reroll. Or you could drop 12 squid on a world transfer if you're really attached.

So I finally got Odin's headpiece after getting the body like 3 months ago. Got bronze the 3 times I did fight him after getting the body and just got frustrated as well as missing some of his spawns. Finally my first weekend back after a few weeks away and I claim my gold rank, it feels so good. D:

Ended up grinding out my atma this week/weekend as well and finished that off finally.. but now the myth grind begins. ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom