• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV |OT4| Welcome, PS4 users!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rektash

So after my group eats a fireball, is it better to use Medica or Cure 3?

Learning Twin alternatively as WHM and SMN is quite the learning experience...

Medica 2 is the more mana efficient spell. If you are confident Medica 2 tops off your party before the next damage comes in, always use Medica 2. Cure 3 is only viable if you want to top off people quickly or if the fight
doesn't require you to save mana(Titan EX would be one of the typical culprits here. Running out of mana is pretty hard in that fight. Might as well put the mana to use and make the fight more safe/make your dps feel safer).

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
13 kills later!

Honestly in hindsight though, I guess that's not such bad luck. A few weeks ago I was reading horror stories from groups who have been killing him since the twister mechanic was figured out, and quite a few of them was still missing 1-2 weapons. *shudder

Sometimes you can get lucky. For 5 kills we had a unique weapon each time and then the last two we started getting repeats... which is still better than Illya's group getting three bows in a row.

chrono01

Everyone finally got their Allagan weapons
Congrats to you all!

Ya'll act like I control the drops.

Alena controls the drops
Alena controls the drops while Krael wins them. It is clearly a conspiracy.

We must look into this.

Until Makoto learns another job, Allagan man's allagan will bring all the loot to the yard.
We will all be suffocated in Allagan Man's Allagan, it seems.

My condolences to you all. :(

Xux

So am I crazy for thinking the philosophy materials will be gather-able from the new higher level unspoiled points they're adding in 2.2? Am I also crazy for thinking the phrase "mats" sounds silly?

Dropping philosophy seems kind of weird and the way they're doing it almost makes it seem like a placeholder. I wonder what'll happen to the i55 and i60 dungeon drops.

Teknoman

So am I crazy for thinking the philosophy materials will be gather-able from the new higher level unspoiled points they're adding in 2.2? Am I also crazy for thinking the phrase "mats" sounds silly?

Dropping philosophy seems kind of weird and the way they're doing it almost makes it seem like a placeholder. I wonder what'll happen to the i55 and i60 dungeon drops.

You arent the only one. The first time I heard it was in a brief stint of WoW when I took an FFXI break long ago.

I thought by crafting mats, they meant it was some mat item you had to buy, and spread out to craft things.

EDIT:

I really hope the next "final boss" is some sort of Ascian that allows it's true form to be revealed via the echo. Hopefully something that looks like this:

RS2FBoss.png

Seriously miss those crazy combination bosses.

I know we probably wont fight
Zodiark
until much later on.

Taruranto

It's not so weird when you realize everyone will swin in iLevel90 and Af1.5 will be new DL.

Plus mats already sell for shit on pretty much all servers.

Munba

Just, making a quick little checklist of the sort of content we'd expect from an expansion, if the "content equal to 2.0" statement is to hold true.

• 3 Additional Cities to explore.
  • Four additional regions to explore.
  • Class Quest for each job for levels 50-70, (or whatever the level cap is going to be,) plus Class Quest lines for a few additional Jobs.
  • Three new Primals, or something comparable.
  • Up to Seventeen Dungeons and/or Raids (I'd expect fewer then this, I'd also expect the expansion to have more Raids then 2.0 had.)
  • A big ole heaping handful of main story line content, of course.

Am I forgetting anything obvious?

Swimming content is a must have.

Medica 2 is the more mana efficient spell. If you are confident Medica 2 tops off your party before the next damage comes in, always use Medica 2. Cure 3 is only viable if you want to top off people quickly or if the fight
doesn't require you to save mana(Titan EX would be one of the typical culprits here. Running out of mana is pretty hard in that fight. Might as well put the mana to use and make the fight more safe/make your dps feel safer).

Hmmm, okay...I will use some Cure 3 to use if need be. Usually a Medica 2 is enough but I prefer not to living life on the edge. Thanks for the advice!

Now if we can just get conflags down. It does help having some Twin experience and also someone who has beat Twin before in the group at least.

WolvenOne

BTW, somebody likely mentioned this already buuuut.

During the trailer, when they show footage of everyone fighting in Coil, they show the new Coil weapons and armor.

When fighting against Leviathan, everyone's using the new Leviathan Weapons.

They show yet another new weapon/armor set when they're showing off the Extreme Moogle-Mog fight. This doesn't appear to be a new Mog Set though.

I'm really, really, really really really hopeful that at least the Leviathan Weapon or the weapons shown in the new Moogle fight are at least iLvl95. I'd like a weapon that can get my by on higher level content until I get the Relic Zodiac constructed. It sounds like that could take a very long time.

Augh the sooner we get concrete information the better. I hate trying to puzzle out a plan for my gear progression when there's so much I don't know. :p

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
^
Leviathan Weapons will be ilvl95, but there will be a downside to them, you'll get your main stat boost, but the third and fourth will not outshine say Allagan Turn 5 drop weps

So they will be helpful to down Twin so you can get the real ilvl95 wep

I'm guessing with secrecy and how Kagari says the way they are being coy and too quiet, I'm guessing the ilvl cap is jumping only 10 ilvls stats wise, can say 15 due to Allagan 2 wep that will drop from Turn 9

So you will have new crafted gear @ilvl95, Coil/Myth 2 @ilvl105, and the Weapons @ilvl105 also (the way relic zodiak is going to take many patches to upgrade,,, yeah)

What I really wanted was at least a good tier breaker for new sets, that means mobs in Coil 2, needed new stat caps to really dent them, which means, crafted gear will be necessary to start working towards the same chase, but at least ilvl90 myth can barely get you the win

New crafted @ilvl100, Coil/Myth 2 @110, and Wep @ilvl115
*I gave up on the idea of a ilvl 30 boost*

So this way there's a gap between allagan/myth 1 and new crafted but also a gap between crafted and myth/allagan 2, crafted gets the bonus of materia slotting, so you can pump in stats and hover around @ilvl105 really

Mostly likely weapons will follow the Trinity route from here on out

Allagan - will be the rarest and hardest to get, will have best overall value
Zenith => Zodiak - will be a work in progress, that levels up over time, add your own customization, making you choose which way to upgrade
Primals - the lesser wep, the one that most have and use until they cam slot something better

They could add a fourth if they want by crafting + materia slotting, so there's that route too

We need a dungeon like the Flying Ruins of Lonka. Imagining having to fly in and destroy the outside defense system before you can go in.

BadRNG

So you will have new crafted gear @ilvl95, Coil/Myth 2 @ilvl105, and the Weapons @ilvl105 also (the way relic zodiak is going to take many patches to upgrade,,, yeah)

What I really wanted was at least a good tier breaker for new sets, that means mobs in Coil 2, needed new stat caps to really dent them, which means, crafted gear will be necessary to start working towards the same chase, but at least ilvl90 myth can barely get you the win

New crafted @ilvl100, Coil/Myth 2 @110, and Wep @ilvl115
*I gave up on the idea of a ilvl 30 boost*
Why 105? Just seems like an odd number to stop at. The only endgame item with 5ilevel increment upgrades are the current allagan weapons, and this wasn't even always true, they were buffed in 2.1 as a small reward for those who have cleared all content. And it is a small reward, 5ilevels is really minor increase in stats. The main reason it still works well with weapons is due to how crazy good weapon damage is, for regular gear pieces the boost will not be as good. I don't get why they'd suddenly start doing 5increments for every new tier of gear.

Crafting being necessary to get started would of been a horrible system, and would of gone directly against how they've positioned/designed crafting up until now. I think your "old" ilevel predictions make the most sense aside from crafting. It would mirror 2.0's progression system.

Crafting at 90(which is essentially becoming the new 70), Coil/Senki at 110, Leviathan EX or Zodiac weapons at 110, Turn 9 weapon at 115. In patch 2.3 they will do CT2: Trolling Boogaloo which has ilevel 100 gear while also increasing Senki tome gain. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

UrSuLeTzU

Mira one of the only pretty Elezen. I normally am terrified of them. When I first started the game, I thought I saw slenderman, but it was just one of those dark ones...

Hahah, you play too much Tales! My early beta character was an average height female elezen archer and I had lots of fun with it xD.

Jinko

Why 105? Just seems like an odd number to stop at. The only endgame item with 5ilevel increment upgrades are the current allagan weapons, and this wasn't even always true, they were buffed in 2.1 as a small reward for those who have cleared all content. And it is a small reward, 5ilevels is really minor increase in stats. The main reason it still works well with weapons is due to how crazy good weapon damage is, for regular gear pieces the boost will not be as good. I don't get why they'd suddenly start doing 5increments for every new tier of gear.

I would say 5 increments is better, its makes the power creep less and easier to balance the game.

Sure it makes the difference between 100 and 105 less stats wise, but I don't think that's such a bad thing, otherwise this game will end up like WoW were you are doing 200'000 dps.

Jinko

What are the black and red weapons, they look cool.

The Glamour system looks/sounds more convoluted than it should have been IMO, would have been easier to just add vanity slots.

aceface

Seems like with vanity, the projected gear is locked on to the base gear unless you take it off with a "glamor dispeller." There's no separate slots for vanity. Seems kind of rigid, like they don't want to make it easy to switch constantly.

Seems like with vanity, the projected gear is locked on to the base gear unless you take it off with a "glamor dispeller." There's no separate slots for vanity. Seems kind of rigid, like they don't want to make it easy to switch constantly.
They probably wanted to force the glamours on the economy.

Which is fine by me, since the economy was laughable.

aceface

They probably wanted to force the glamours on the economy.

Which is fine by me, since the economy was laughable.

You're right, every time you want to switch your vanity items it's going to be Gil going to crafters for either the glamour crystal or the glamour dispeller.

dramatis

Didn't really follow/play ffxiv for the past few weeks, did they say anything pvp wise concerning the 2.2 patch ?
They're probably only going to make a few adjustments, but no major pvp additions or changes. Probably not going to add something major until 2.3.

Zomba13

What are the black and red weapons, they look cool.

The Glamour system looks/sounds more convoluted than it should have been IMO, would have been easier to just add vanity slots.

Yeah. Even more convoluted than what it sounded like when they said about crystals.
I thought it'd be like you have the item you want as vanity then you 'project' that onto a crystal (so now that crystal acts as vanity item) and you slot that crystal into a 'vanity' slot.

Instead it looks like you need to use a crystal every time you want to alter a base item into something else which sucks for me because I wanted to have a bunch of vanity sets for each thing. Now that will cost a lot of gil and time and effort each time I want to change set.

Also I still don't got the multislot stuff. Looks like you can glamour if the base item takes equal or more slots but not the other way? So Odin's body piece is still super useless?

plake

I know I might stir up a hornets's nest with this question, but I'm probably going to aim for a tank as my first class (job?) when I start the game as I was mainly a PLD in FFXI.
Last time I was informed I read PLD was preferable to a WAR at higher levels. Is this still the case?

Jinko

I know I might stir up a hornets's nest with this question, but I'm probably going to aim for a tank as my first class (job?) when I start the game as I was mainly a PLD in FFXI.
Last time I was informed I read PLD was preferable to a WAR at higher levels. Is this still the case?

I prefer healing a PLD is all I can say.

Also I still don't got the multislot stuff. Looks like you can glamour if the base item takes equal or more slots but not the other way? So Odin's body piece is still super useless?
You can apply glamours as long as the target item has equal or less slots than the vanity item.

So you can apply Odin's armor to anything, but you can't apply anything to Odin's armor, get it?

Schuhu

Neo Member

Warrior has more life, the Paladin got better defensive cooldowns aswell as a silence in addition to the stun which both have. Warior has an easier time with aoe because he has overpower&steel cylcone.

There are certainly more paladins than warriors around, altough in the end it doesn't truly matter, anyone can tank anything

GraveRobberX

Yeah Odin is fucked, I see no other gear that takes up 4 slots...

Some will rock the head (I might just to stand out)

The way they did it is if say a hooded item can get their hood taken off by glamouring a piece that doesn't have a hood also, it lets you bypass it, almost overrides it
If the item you have doesn't have the hood option but you want to put on and item with hood, then you need an equal item

Shit is convoluted, this is SE, at the start it will be crazy for crafters with demand (hopefully), but unless theirs a slow down of prisms being gathered or made, shit will all be done within a few weeks
I'm guessing some prisms will be in those new 50 nodes that have appeared for us gatherers, most likely 1 hour nodes, which will curtail supply - demand issue for the time being at the start

I really want that Allagan 2 Axe, looks bad-ass
Live letter should hopefully answer all the questions we have
Only 2 days to find out!

Please for the love of god hope the Soldiery Tomes are @450 cap and not taken back to 300, if they at least increase to an even 500, it would be huge
Meaning in 4 weeks you can achieve at least 2000/2000, with how long Myth gear took, I hope they don't fall back on that tactic

plake

Thanks! I'll probably start out towards PLD but will end up playing whatever gives me the most enjoyment. I really liked my RDM and BLM in XI as well so will try out the mages eventually.

BadRNG

SOMEONE FIND ME MORE POSTS TO QUOTE.

I would say 5 increments is better, its makes the power creep less and easier to balance the game.

Sure it makes the difference between 100 and 105 less stats wise, but I don't think that's such a bad thing, otherwise this game will end up like WoW were you are doing 200'000 dps.
Power creep already here, and if they really care that much they can introduce ilevel scaling for old stuff. The system is essentially already in place due to how level scaling effects gear.

It's a bad thing if they want this content to last long. 5levels is really not a big difference, most content can be done in gear 5-10ilevels below what most players suggest as recommended to begin with. I'd argue it makes things harder to design content wise as you can't ramp up difficulty as much, each tier of content would be too close to each other and gear would be less important.

Cool, so full robe/tincan sets can have stuff glamoured over them. Just can't use them as glamours themselves unless the base item fills all the slots. (Odin armor still useless) If you glamour a full robe/tincan with a helm, then hide the helm, would you appear naked from waist up? Must test. For science.

So it looks like AF2 will be delayed?
This would explain why we haven't seen any models for the AF2 art they showed off. Wonder what the shorthand for this stuff will be. Just soldiery gear? GF(Gerolt Forged)?

Didn't really follow/play ffxiv for the past few weeks, did they say anything pvp wise concerning the 2.2 patch ?
"There's PvP in this game?"

I believe is the current development stance.

Nope. Either tank can do all content, with some very slight advantages on both here or there depending on fight. It's very balanced at the moment, and it's advised to bring one of each for raids.

GraveRobberX

Thanks! I'll probably start out towards PLD but will end up playing whatever gives me the most enjoyment. I really liked my RDM and BLM in XI as well so will try out the mages eventually.

PLD's are overloaded with a fuck-ton of Cool-downs, their mitigation is really good
Shield helps to chip away damage your receiving
PLD's are the safer choice, cause they have 1 rotation and not have to worry about applying dots/debuffs (unless OT, then a Fracture DOT helps out)

WAR's on the other hand eat damage at ridiculous levels, they have few CD's, but with parry and almost a self leeching/receive back health moves to counter loss of health
The thing is you have to perfect your timing
Each tier of bosses you progress, there are parts where certain skills are neccesary, with PLD you can coast a little
WAR can run through 3 rotations if need be and has DOT skills to put on
It's more hands on approach, you have to multitask and get into rhythm

Great thing is when you use Thrill of Battle for WAR (ilvl90) and see your HP jump to 10K+, shit looks crazy as fuck
I have done it during Twintania and ate a Death Sentence, which left me with 550HP, so that DS did 9500...

They really are going crazy with MNK claws aren't they, I though the Hell Claws were already going the Freddy Kruger route, the new Allagan 1-ups them

Any PVP upgrades or changes will be a 2.3 scenario it looks like, at the moment it's an after thought
The ones that were really into to got to level 30 or 50 and just gave up, no competition or same people to fight against

I still haven't participated, to clunky to get into, nothing streamlined, chore just to rank up, nothing to keep you pushing forward

elyetis

They're probably only going to make a few adjustments, but no major pvp additions or changes. Probably not going to add something major until 2.3.
Didn't expect Huge change, and I know the 8v8v8 ( I think ? ) is only expected for the 2.3 ( thought I don't think they they mentioned it since the release ).

Was just hoping for some balancing, mostly around the gear/pvp lvl matchmaking. Thought I'm not sure they are ever going the way I would want them to ( not being about who has the better gear and highest pvp level ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom