• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Londa

Banned
Gravijah said:
OK then. What do they have to gain by making an obviously biased review?

Don't lie to the man, tell him about the real money shit. :(

Generate more views and user traffic = money from ads.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Viral marketer whose performance evaluation
is at stake

:lol

DaBuddaDa

Londa said:
Generate more views and user traffic = money from ads.
So they should give every game a 4/10 for views and traffic then.

No, there is no conspiracy, they're not picking on your precious game.

Dictionary said:
Definition of PARANOIA
1: a psychosis characterized by systematized delusions of persecution or grandeur usually without hallucinations

2: a tendency on the part of an individual or group toward excessive or irrational suspiciousness and distrustfulness of others

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Gravijah said:
OK then. What do they have to gain by making an obviously biased review?

Yea that's true. It is free to a point. At that point though I had already bought like 4 adventure packs :lol

The more I see and hear of XIV, the more I'm reminded of that month test driving Aion.

That isn't a compliment.

fizzelopeguss said:
MMO rule of thumb, the more the fanboys rabidly defend the game, the bigger pile of dogshit it is.

GT absolutely annihilated this game. nothing left but ashes and dust, scattered to the four winds.

I've come to realize this myself.

Remember, it's never truly personal, they're talking more to convince themselves than us.

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
Londa said:
Whatever you want to tell yourself. :lol
Come on, I think it's totally cool that you prefer this game over other MMOs, but now you're really trying to imply they're biased because they got the friend thing wrong and happened to have an opinion that's similar to the majority of people in the thread?

londa is definately the only reason i read these threads. The first couple of days in beta i realised the game was gonna be a doomed slop bucket but arguing with her was so much fun.

She's quite the infectious little fangirl.

I want to believe londa is just trolling everyone here but then I remember the people who stuck with FFXI and camped dragon's aery day in and day out. I'm guessing it's the same case here.

MaddenNFL64

Leckan said:
Wow this game seems to be a disaster. What exactly went wrong, or did FF Xi suck too? Never played it.

I enjoyed my time with FFXI, but it sucking or not depends on if you jumped in with friends, or made some friends by level 20.

Lets it put this way. It's simple mechanics are covered in a shitpile of "hardcore" game design. It's one of the most overly grindy, hard ass MMO's out there. It takes eons to level, it's next to impossible to get anything done by yourself, anything worthwhile anyway. Mistakes are punished, so you always play conservatively. Crafting is the chore of chores, like a second job if you try to take that part seriously to make gil. It's a grind. Just a fucking grind.

But it was fun because of the people. If I didn't meet & befriend some cool people, who I still keep in regular contact with & play games with after I quit, the game would have been back at gamestop within the month I got it.

But I guess that goes with alot of things. I guess to sum up, the game sucks, but an MMO experience can mask a grindy time sink, into a fun, grindy timesink.

Victrix

*beard*
SatelliteOfLove said:
I've come to realize this myself.

Remember, it's never truly personal, they're talking more to convince themselves than us.

This is entirely accurate - you'll see this behavior in any 'persecuted minority' online for any game.

They'll venomously, rabidly defend the game, in the face of any sort of criticism (rational or not), and over-react hilariously at any perceived slight.

Londa

Banned
What about this one,

"you have to wait to have spells go off"

or the real kicker

"You have to deal with bugs, like monsters regenerating health"

:lol :lol

This review is 100% unbiased and very informative. No lies except that one with the friendlist. But that was a mistake.

Gravijah said:

I just started LOTRO today and I'm already trying to figure out whether I should subscribe to the game until cata comes out, or if i should just buy points to get AH slots.

I don't even like the gmae that much :lol

MaddenNFL64 said:
I enjoyed my time with FFXI, but it sucking or not depends on if you jumped in with friends, or made some friends by level 20.

Lets it put this way. It's simple mechanics are covered in a shitpile of "hardcore" game design. It's one of the most overly grindy, hard ass MMO's out there. It takes eons to level, it's next to impossible to get anything done by yourself, anything worthwhile anyway. Mistakes are punished, so you always play conservatively. Crafting is the chore of chores, like a second job if you try to take that part seriously to make gil. It's a grind. Just a fucking grind.

But it was fun because of the people. If I didn't meet & befriend some cool people, who I still keep in regular contact with & play games with after I quit, the game would have been back at gamestop within the month I got it.

But I guess that goes with alot of things. I guess to sum up, the game sucks, but an MMO experience can mask a grindy time sink, into a fun, grindy timesink.
I had a decent time with FFXI when I played it, too, but it wasn't because of the community. Generally, I found the people playing FFXI to be insufferably boring people who took the game far too seriously. Admittedly, I only got in a few years after it came out, so a lot of the fun people had already come and gone, leaving mostly only poopsockers. I enjoyed figuring out how to solo level my Dragoon, though. Very strategic.

Ultimately, a person would probably be better off playing a better game and opening up IRC or something.

Gravijah

Mister Zimbu said:
I just started LOTRO today and I'm already trying to figure out whether I should subscribe to the game until cata comes out, or if i should just buy points to get AH slots.

I don't even like the gmae that much :lol

they got you by the balls/vagina

Londa said:
What about this one,

"you have to wait to have spells go off"

or the real kicker

"You have to deal with bugs, like monsters regenerating health"

:lol :lol

This review is 100% unbiased and very informative. No lies except that one with the friendlist. But that was a mistake.

Those were both bugs in the beta - cast bars were inaccurate (stoneskin took 5-10 seconds beyond the cast bars filling up to cast) and monsters would frequently and randomly run away and restore all their health without leaving combat.

Now I don't know, I didn't buy the game, so they may have been fixed in release, but judging by how few things apparently changed in release, I doubt they were.

And I seriously doubt the reviewer miraculously made up two lies that were exactly the same as two pretty well-known bugs.

DaBuddaDa

Mister Zimbu said:
And I seriously doubt the reviewer miraculously made up two lies that were exactly the same as two pretty well-known bugs.
You don't get it. It's a part of the Grand Anti-Final Fantasy conspiracy, a new Axis of Evil funded by Karl Rove, Hitler and Inafune, and perpetuated through western videogame review sites.

Averon

After reading the past ten pages and never participated in FFXIV thread before, is Londa a joke character? There's being a fanboy and just being downright delusional :lol

Londa

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
Those were both bugs in the beta - cast bars were inaccurate (stoneskin took 5-10 seconds beyond the cast bars filling up to cast) and monsters would frequently and randomly run away and restore all their health without leaving combat.

Now I don't know, I didn't buy the game, so they may have been fixed in release, but judging by how few things apparently changed in release, I doubt they were.

The bolded suppose to do this. Its called AI and having the mobs act like they are in a party.

Here is another quote of his:

"get ready to listen to the endless pitter patter of your feet, gets annoying"

all games have sound effects for running. Yet this game it targeted for it. Very unbiased, right?

MaddenNFL64

Segata Sanshiro said:
I had a decent time with FFXI when I played it, too, but it wasn't because of the community. Generally, I found the people playing FFXI to be insufferably boring people who took the game far too seriously. Admittedly, I only got in a few years after it came out, so a lot of the fun people had already come and gone, leaving mostly only poopsockers. I enjoyed figuring out how to solo level my Dragoon, though. Very strategic.

Ultimately, a person would probably be better off playing a better game and opening up IRC or something.

By community, I meant the 4-5 other bastards I actually booted the game to play with, hah.

Ya, that game is full of super serial pricks, and at endgame stuff, your forced to group with them, but I gather that's how it is with those types of games.

RDreamer

Segata Sanshiro said:

I absolutely loved my time in FF11, but that was because I did have a few friends in real life to supplement the very few good people in 11 that I met, but I'd have to agree that a lot of the people playing were just freaking insane with how seriously they took that damned game. I wanted to internet punch about 75% of the people I met. They were all so obsessed with getting the absolute max efficiency with everything that they got less in the long run (waiting for the absolute correct job instead of just grabbing the desperate Drg that wanted a party). Luckily for me I was a RDM so I could create my own parties, and I created ones with people I liked that loved to play the game, rather than a lot of the other wackos that played.

That was my one problem with the game. I like playing differently from others. I don't like cookie cutter things. I have to do something different. That didn't fly for most of the people playing, though.

Chris R

Londa said:
Here is another quote of his:

"get ready to listen to the endless pitter patter of your feet, gets annoying"

all games have sound effects for running. Yet this game it targeted for it. Very unbiased, right?
Targeted for it due to the game not sounding very alive outside of the footsteps. Bustling cities don't really sound like bustling cities should sound, so basically you are left with music (mostly good, with some out of place elements that really detracted from the higher points in the musical score for me in the OB) and footsteps.

Haunted

Watching Londa in this thread is quickly turning from amusing to hilarious to sad
and right back to amusing again

twofold

Averon said:
After reading the past ten pages and never participated in FFXIV thread before, is Londa a joke character? There's being a fanboy and just being downright delusional :lol

DaBuddaDa said the following right at the beginning of the thread -

Arguing with Londa about the merits of FFXIV is like arguing with the Pope over whether or not God exists. Don't bother.

More people should heed his advice.

..Or not. Watching Londa's insane defense of this game is far more entertaining than playing it. This thread wouldn't be half as good without her ramblings.

Averon said:

More like attention-seeker.

Fewr

I'm definitely getting this.
... in three years... maybe... nah, I'll just go for Guild Wars 2

EDIT:
RDreamer said:
They were all so obsessed with getting the absolute max efficiency with everything that they got less in the long run (waiting for the absolute correct job instead of just grabbing the desperate Drg that wanted a party).
I left the game because of this.

EDIT II:

rhfb said:
Targeted for it due to the game not sounding very alive outside of the footsteps. Bustling cities don't really sound like bustling cities should sound, so basically you are left with music (mostly good, with some out of place elements that really detracted from the higher points in the musical score for me in the OB) and footsteps.
It´s probably that + having to walk for miles because travelling is not yet available or too expensive.

Londa

Banned
rhfb said:

I remember in Uldah there were sound effects for people talking randomly, outside there is wind and howling at night plus the background music.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Londa said:
The bolded suppose to do this. Its called AI and having the mobs act like they are in a party.
1) It's a bug: Should be fixed end of story
2) It's intentional: Piss poor design

It's a negative either way

The sound effect comment was to imply that there is lots of walking in FFXIV with doing nothing in between.

Which is true. There is way too much space in between mob camps, nothing of note in between. Gathering is basically using your detect skill and then auto running in the right direction, hitting the detect skill from time to time. No really, I don't even look at the map except to navigate around an unpathable area, I just go in the direction the textbox tells me to.

A 24 jump on autopilot from my wormhole to my home base in EVE feels more exciting and interesting than looking for mob camps in FFXIV. At least I might see something of worth on the way.

Zozobra

MaddenNFL64 said:

I agree 100% - I never forged the kind of relationships in WoW that were nearly of the quality I did in FFXI. I think it was that true reliance on others to help you get things done that made it such a good experience, not so much the actual gameplay - which is probably why I still have some hope for FFXI.

Londa said:

For the record I'm NOT talking about the scripted "X is running away!" portions of leves. Those were annoying, stupid, and badly designed in their own right.

So single mobs that run away back to their spawn, regaining most of their health back in the process isn't a bug, it's a feature? It's a pretty poorly implemented feature and a valid complaint if it is.

If it is AI to act like they're a party, why does it happen when they're solo? Sounds like a bug to me even if it is AI. Which it's not.

Teknoman

rhfb said:

I dont think theres been any RPG or MMORPG in recent time thats actually had cities that sound...like cities.

You'll hear theme music, environmental noises from people crafting/doing emotes, and general moving around...but thats in every MMO.

EDIT: I never really ran into the elitism problem in XI on Midgardsormr or Fairy/Sylph, aside from a few players here and there.

DaBuddaDa

Halycon said:
1) It's a bug: Should be fixed end of story
2) It's intentional: Piss poor design

It's a negative either way
I could be wrong but I think it's a combination of what Londa said and what the review says:

When mobs lose aggro to you they will regen their health to full like they did in FFXI. There have been reports of mobs randomly losing aggro for no reason while you're fighting them, which is a bug. What I think happened to the reviewer was the mob he was fighting deaggoed due to the bug and regened its health because of it.

So yes, mobs are meant to regen their health, but in this case it happened due to a bug.

Londa

Banned
Mister Zimbu said:
For the record I'm NOT talking about the scripted "X is running away!" portions of leves. Those were annoying, stupid, and badly designed in their own right.

So single mobs that run away back to their spawn, regaining most of their health back in the process isn't a bug, it's a feature? It's a pretty poorly implemented feature and a valid complaint if it is.

If it is AI to act like they're a party, why does it happen when they're solo? Sounds like a bug to me even if it is AI. Which it's not.

I know what you are talking about. Usually when the mob is said to have been running away. When it finally stops and waits to jump you with its friends. Its hp hasn't been healed. Its still at the same amount before it had ran away.

That is a feature. Them running away to heal only to come back with full health is something players do to kill mobs, so they made the AI do it too.

RDreamer said:
I absolutely loved my time in FF11, but that was because I did have a few friends in real life to supplement the very few good people in 11 that I met, but I'd have to agree that a lot of the people playing were just freaking insane with how seriously they took that damned game. I wanted to internet punch about 75% of the people I met. They were all so obsessed with getting the absolute max efficiency with everything that they got less in the long run (waiting for the absolute correct job instead of just grabbing the desperate Drg that wanted a party). Luckily for me I was a RDM so I could create my own parties, and I created ones with people I liked that loved to play the game, rather than a lot of the other wackos that played.

That was my one problem with the game. I like playing differently from others. I don't like cookie cutter things. I have to do something different. That didn't fly for most of the people playing, though.
The game is so ripe for experimental play, too, with the job system being what it is. Shame people get so focused on the treadmill they forget about trying to have fun.

Kandinsky

Averon said:
I always thought he would stop after getting his tag, but I guess he is really that way.

Lain

Segata Sanshiro said:

I always thought the majority of the FFXI community sucked, but there were people I really liked too. Kittycat's blog posts really helped me keep playing the game since I ended up being alone playing it after my friend bailed up as the game was too bad for him, and reading his stuff was fun (and got me to camp chests).
Then again, Kittycat kinda charmed me since the first time I saw him killing a giraffe. Really a fun, crazy motherfucker.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mob tethering was invented to prevent players from kiting mob camps across the world, training them onto lowbies or exploiting aggro mechanics to kill mobs far above their level.

Randomly running back is not intentional. If it is then I stand by my comment of piss poor design choices. It's not like redoing the mob is going to suddenly make it more challenging. it's just an unnecessary chore. The point of MMOs is to provide steady rewards, trying to minimize the RNG completely fucking up your day.

DaBuddaDa

Segata Sanshiro said:
The game is so ripe for experimental play, too, with the job system being what it is. Shame people get so focused on the treadmill they forget about trying to have fun.
For most people, being the most powerful and efficient is the most fun. Sure, you could "experiment" with being a DRK/WHM, but you'll just deal less damage and die easier than if you went DRK/SAM. People did plenty of experimenting with job combinations early on and the most viable combos survived. Newer players love to try to make new and unusual combinations but eventually they'll learn that what everyone else does is really the best for a reason. Strict party roles and a lack of balance on Square's part prevented a lot of fun combos being used.

Lain said:
I always thought the majority of the FFXI community sucked, but there were people I really liked too. Kittycat's blog posts really helped me keep playing the game since I ended up being alone playing it after my friend bailed up as the game was too bad for him, and reading his stuff was fun (and got me to camp chests).
Then again, Kittycat kinda charmed me since the first time I saw him killing a giraffe. Really a fun, crazy motherfucker.

Do you mean Kittycatty?

Wallach

DaBuddaDa said:
I could be wrong but I think it's a combination of what Londa said and what the review says:

When mobs lose aggro to you they will regen their health to full like they did in FFXI. There have been reports of mobs randomly losing aggro for no reason while you're fighting them, which is a bug. What I think happened to the reviewer was the mob he was fighting deaggoed due to the bug and regened its health because of it.

So yes, mobs are meant to regen their health, but in this case it happened due to a bug.

Final Fantasy XIV is so good other MMOs' bugs are their features.

Londa

Banned
It could be fixed by using more range attacks. I think every job has access to range. Not 100% sure on this, but I know Mar can throw Chakram.

Londa said:
It could be fixed by using more range attacks. I think every job has access to range. Not 100% sure on this, but I know Mar can throw Chakram.

The mob's health regens by something like 20% a tick when this happens. This happens in other MMOs. It's a bug in those other MMOs. Why is it a feature here?

Londa said:
That is a feature. Them running away to heal only to come back with full health is something players do to kill mobs, so they made the AI do it too.

Please post a source.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom