• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV Reviews - GameSpot 4/10, GameTrailers 4.2/10, GameSpy 2/5, IGN 5.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swag

Just curious, for the long standing FFXI players.

Did Absolute Virtue ever get killed in a legit manner after SE dropped the video hints?

Shouta

voady said:
is the game really that bad? Can't even imagine reviewing a Final Fantasy with a 4/10 o_O.

I have to try this one out at a lower price point or over at my friends place. It just can't be.

Yeah, there's a host of problems. Great base, but it's just done so awfully. I'd say the game should've had more development time just based on the usability, design, and programming side of it, alone. Then you toss on the problem with the content side, and well...

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Oh god, the review is by Van Ord, the numpty who gave Nier 5/10.

That's it. I'm out. No point in commenting on a review by a journo who's opinions and sense of values regarding RPG's aree completely alien to my own.

Salaadin

Shouta said:
Yeah, there's a host of problems. Great base, but it's just done so awfully. I'd say the game should've had more development time just based on the usability, design, and programming side of it, alone. Then you toss on the problem with the content side, and well...

This is pretty much it.

Still, Im having a blast with it and am holding out for 6 months. Ive done my fair share of bitching in the OT.
Theres a great game to be had underneath all of these problems. Im holding onto the hope that they get ironed out quickly. Really, if the market becomes searchable, inventory becomes sortable, and items become deliverable, I dont think Ill have many issues left.

Ploid 3.0

Sebulon3k said:
Just curious, for the long standing FFXI players.

Did Absolute Virtue ever get killed in a legit manner after SE dropped the video hints?

Yes with blood weapon drks with kraken burn. SE deemed this to be an exploit and quickly fixed it like they quickly fix and improve everything else in the game... that works in the player's favor :D . The drk's burning AV made SE realize that the 2hr was too effective against HNMs.

Salaadin said:
This is pretty much it.

Still, Im having a blast with it and am holding out for 6 months. Ive done my fair share of bitching in the OT.
Theres a great game to be had underneath all of these problems. Im holding onto the hope that they get ironed out quickly. Really, if the market becomes searchable, inventory becomes sortable, and items become deliverable, I dont think Ill have many issues left.

Pretty much me here.

One other thing I'd like to see...though sorted inventory may fix this. If I want to equip a head piece, don't show me all 80 items of my gear. Show me my head pieces.

Vinci

Danish
Okay. I guess doing the 'Wait 6 months to try a new MMO' strategy was particularly wise in this case. I'll give it a try then. And no, I'm not going to say 'If it still exists then'... This is a Final Fantasy and people put up with a variety of issues with XI for years, so it'll still be around.

Salaadin

demosthenes said:
Pretty much me here.

One other thing I'd like to see...though sorted inventory may fix this. If I want to equip a head piece, don't show me all 80 items of my gear. Show me my head pieces.

I cant remember how FFXI worked, but i think that when you sorted your inventory, all of your equips lumped together by type so all of your weapons were at top, followed by head pieces, body, arms, etc. I might be mis-remembering though. I dont remember it being so complicated in FFXI.

If you ask me, I think they shouldve given us separate inventory slots just for equips. On me right now, I have MRD weapons, MRD gear swaps. crafting tools, crafting gear swaps, gathering tools, gathering gear swaps. We start out with 80 inventory slots which seems fine at first until you see how many jobs your are skilling. Factor in a main tool/weapon and the off hand tool/weapon for each, and youre pretty fucked.

Effect

Londa said:
To the person who said FFXIV is tunnles and corrdors has not played the game.

Have you run around the forest area around Gridania? The whole forest area is a maze of corridors with some open spaces in between. Walls to the left and right. The underground areas aren't much different.
http://www.ffxivmaps.com/img/region-the_black_shroud-small.png

By comparison Final Fantasy XI has true open areas the way a real MMO would. Even Guild Wars has open areas.

I really like FFXIV but not for the reasons I've liked most other mmos. More than anything the thing that drives me is that its very small group friendly. My wife and I don't have the time we once did, but with FFXIV we can knock out some leves or work on our classes/tradeskills and we never feel restricted. There's no "must have a group of 6 to progress" barriers that I've encountered yet.
I don't read quest text other than to catch keywords for locations or key npcs, so the leves work perfect for someone like me who just wants to run in, kill some stuff, get reward. The fact the difficulty and reward can be scaled is icing on the cake. If I want story I get the well done story missions every few levels, which is just enough for me, don't need a backstory to every quest. Or in WoW's case, every boss pull.
A friend asked me why I played it, they listed all the flaws posted on forums and I honestly can't disagree with them. Yes the UI lag sucks (not so bad with controller), yes the bazaar system is lacking and yes the game is flawed. It's probably just not for you.

I hated FFXI and I haven't enjoyed a single player Final Fantasy game since FF6.

Mandoric

Banned
Salaadin said:
I cant remember how FFXI worked, but i think that when you sorted your inventory, all of your equips lumped together by type so all of your weapons were at top, followed by head pieces, body, arms, etc. I might be mis-remembering though. I dont remember it being so complicated in FFXI.

It worked the same except for the presence of a sort function.

Effect said:
Have you run around the forest area around Gridania? The whole forest area is a maze of corridors with some open spaces in between. Walls to the left and right. The underground areas aren't much different.

By comparison Final Fantasy XI has true open areas the way a real MMO would. Even Guild Wars has open areas.

Maze zone is mazey. Non-maze zones are non-mazey. Grid probably could've used a couple bigger open spaces for variety given the zone size, but on the other hand it's the only non-dungeon zone is the game that -isn't- mainly composed of large open areas.

Salaadin

Effect said:

Thats one zone though. She already pointed out that Thanalan and La Noscea are all wide open, as is Mor Dhona and Coerthas. I havent explored underground enough to judge them.

The games biggest issue right now zone wise is the lack of variety...not the openness. All we have right now are fields, jungles, deserts, and purple.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GregLombardi said:
It's not about how respected they are, it's about how if Gamespot gives the game a 4.0, statistically speaking I can tell you that pretty much all review sites will be 7 or less for the most part. The game won't survive that wave of bad publicity.

You're a silly person.

Reviews of MMOs generally mean nothing. Remember Warhammer Online? Remember its reviews? IGN gave it a 9.0. Gamespot gave it a 8.5. Boy, that sure helped its survival. Hanging by a thread. Lord of the Rings Online is now free to play. 8.4 from Gamespot. How about Final Fantasy XI? Gamespot didn't review it until it hit 360 w/ 3 expansions... 6.0.

FFXI has always been a source of controversy among fans of the series, simply because it's the first game in the series proper to stray from Final Fantasy's roots. However, FFXI still had the air and allure of a Final Fantasy game to attract a fiercely loyal following, and the gameplay hooked them. Yet whatever mystique there was surrounding FFXI is gone now, and what's left is a great, big game that's almost intolerably cumbersome. If you're very brave, masochistic, or stubborn, you might find some rewarding experiences in FFXI. But chances are good that you won't.

Yet, FFXI is still going...

How about EVE Online? 6.6.

EVE offers little in the way of instant gratification, and progress in the game is slow and often unnoticeable. If you manage to join a player corporation--the game at least makes it easy to find one seeking new members--things can be better, and you and your corporate colleagues can find new ways to make money and entertain yourselves. However, it would take a dedicated player with a lot of free time to get to this point. In the end, there's something to be said for EVE's unusually slow-paced approach to this genre, but a strong recommendation isn't it.

But wait, there's a little note on the top of this review!

Like most online role-playing games, EVE Online has matured and changed in significant ways since its original release. You can visit the EVE Insider for the most recent patch notes and content updates.

Yes. Gamespot and its ilk are the shining beacon of MMO survivability.

Lets see how APB did according to Gamespot... 6.5.

Well, yes. Truly, Gamespot is the beacon and marks the end of FFXIV. Wait, I forgot one more. The Matrix Online! Gamespot gave it... a 7.3. Ever played The Matrix Online? Even at the time a 7.3 was...just.. wow.

FFXIV will be fine.

Londa

Banned
Effect said:

Do you read all comments? Or just the ones you think you can prove wrong?

Londa said:
XI has the same kind of designs when it started out, so no I'm not disappointed. The people that complain about copy and paste also play WoW and don't even mention how copy and paste to shit that game is. Matter a fact, show me one game that isn't copy and paste terrain? Thats right you can't show me.

There are areas with tunnels and corridors because there suppose to be there. Just like XI there were areas with tunnels in corridors, matter a fact all games have tunnels and corridors but FF gets shit for it because people love to hate on the game. There are so many open areas in FFXIV, how long have you been playing the game?

Open Areas in FFXIV:
Outside of Uldah
Outside of Limsa
Limsa itselfUldah city
Grid City
The place with that big ass airship crashed in the middle of the zone
the area outside of jeuno 2.0

Places with corridors and tunnles:
dungons (yes there are these, you just have to, you know explore)
Outside of Grid
caves and shit

looks like more open areas than tunnels and corridors.

FFXI had tunnels and corrdors too. The jungle in the expansion pack for Rise of the Zilart. Crawlers Nest (though it did have a big open basement that you can play in after you level up some), most dungens, Sky even has tunnels and corrdors, basically any indoor area, and maze like area, and any dungen will be corrdors and tunnels.

Out side of Grid is tunnels and corrdors because in its description it is said to be like a "maze". How can you have a maze with no walls?

Kintaro said:
You're a silly person.

Reviews of MMOs generally mean nothing. Remember Warhammer Online? Remember its reviews? IGN gave it a 9.0. Gamespot gave it a 8.5. Boy, that sure helped its survival. Hanging by a thread. Lord of the Rings Online is now free to play. 8.4 from Gamespot. How about Final Fantasy XI? Gamespot didn't review it until it hit 360 w/ 3 expansions... 6.0.

Yet, FFXI is still going...

My point is that terrible reviews can mean something. Just because good games didn't survive doesn't mean that bad games ARE going to survive.

YOU are a silly person. <3

Coldsnap

been playing this since launch, it totally deserves the low scores its getting but it also deserves a re-check in a few months.

Aurora

Amneisac said:
Some people may like this game, but it's a hot mess. You can't sort your inventory, there's no AH, mail system, only 5 zones and there's no variation in the zones other than arbitrary pockets of the zones being populated with much higher level mobs that aggro.
No AH? What the fuck? That was an integral part of FFXI. I really can't imagine how the game can function and have a proper economy without it...
How do you find and buy items you want then? Is it all just random bazaars?

DaBuddaDa

So are tunnels and corridors inherently bad things now?

People are getting too caught up with the one review score, which admittedly is useless in the grand scheme of MMOs. The players are the people who are doing the most bitching. Japanese websites have 1.5/5 user rankings, Amazon.com and Amazon.co.jp have 1 and 2 star rankings, GAF players are negative towards it, Somethingawful players are negative, Giantbomb players are negative, people are jumping ship and going back to FFXI left and right. It's really sad :(

Londa

Banned
DaBuddaDa said:
So are tunnels and corridors inherently bad things now?

FFXIII made it a terrible thing. Any game after FFXIII will be deamed unplayable because of tunnles and corridors.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Kintaro said:
Well, yes. Truly, Gamespot is the beacon and marks the end of FFXIV. Wait, I forgot one more. The Matrix Online! Gamespot gave it... a 7.3. Ever played The Matrix Online? Even at the time a 7.3 was...just.. wow.

FFXIV will be fine.
Matrix Online got a 7.3?! Any reviewer on IGN that gives a game a 7.2 or lower should ask "is this game worse than the Matrix Online?"

Zomba13

While I think the scores the game is getting are right (or close to right) on a true 10 point scale (10 being fucking amazing and 1 being god awful, with 4 being below average and only get if you are a fan of the genre or franchise) there does seem to be an awful lot of just plain wrong opinions about the game.

Also I think MMOs shouldn't get reviewed until a month or so after retail release so that some bugs can be cleared up and people have had time to explore some of the later content because they've had time to level up and experience it themselves. That or reviwers should get accounts with higher leveled characters so they can experience the higher level content sooner (maybe give reviewers a boost of exp so they can experience the leveling and game progression at an accelerated rate).

Aurora said:
No AH? What the fuck? That was an integral part of FFXI. I really can't imagine how the game can function and have a proper economy without it...
How do you find and buy items you want then? Is it all just random bazaars?

More or less, yes. You can actually make an NPC bazaar and stick it in a market ward. The player market in this game consists entirely of going into a room full of nothing but NPC bazaars and clicking on them randomly until you find something you want. This is the only way of getting weapon upgrades short of learning 4 crafts.

It borders on AC2's launching without chat for several months in retardedness.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
GregLombardi said:
My point is that terrible reviews can mean something. Just because good games didn't survive doesn't mean that bad games ARE going to survive.

YOU are a silly person. <3

Oh, THAT is your point now. :lol

My point? Reviews for MMOs are absolutely, 100% meaningless in the big picture.

DaBuddaDa

MMO reviews should require:

At least one months time from the day the servers go live.

A screenshot of all of the reviewer's characters, items, levels, crafts, etc.

A /timeplayed screenshot.

A screenshot of the reviewer's guild/linkshell (other player's names can be censored of course) including a number of people in the shell during a peak play time.

Right now I have to agree with that review except with the "the game is no fun", I have a lot of fun when the gaf LS party up and do leves. But other than that this game need a lot more work, I have no doubt that one day FFXIV will become a good game. I just don't want to pay every month while waiting, I rather jump in again when all is worked out.

Coverly

Agree with the GS review, the game is awful. I just couldn't believe how bad it was. After a few days with the game I had enough, uninstalled, and threw the special edition in the trash.

Paznos

Based off what I played of the beta the game does need more time in the oven, seems like they wanted to release it before Cataclysm was released. should have just waited til Spring 2011.

Swag

Ploid 3.0 said:
Yes with blood weapon drks with kraken burn. SE deemed this to be an exploit and quickly fixed it like they quickly fix and improve everything else in the game... that works in the player's favor :D . The drk's burning AV made SE realize that the 2hr was too effective against HNMs.

Always thought this was impossible because of meteor / Benediction.

Coverly said:
Agree with the GS review, the game is awful. I just couldn't believe how bad it was. After a few days with the game I had enough, uninstalled, and threw the special edition in the trash.
:lol

DaBuddaDa said:

A screenshot of the reviewer's guild/linkshell (other player's names can be censored of course) including a number of people in the shell during a peak play time.
No. It is still just a videogame, and they should be reviewed when they come out.
It's the developers fault for not delaying it to fix bugs or polish it properly.

Khrno

DaBuddaDa said:

As much hate as he got, Milky was the man.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Zomba13 said:
While I think the scores the game is getting are right (or close to right) on a true 10 point scale (10 being fucking amazing and 1 being god awful, with 4 being below average and only get if you are a fan of the genre or franchise) there does seem to be an awful lot of just plain wrong opinions about the game.

Also I think MMOs shouldn't get reviewed until a month or so after retail release so that some bugs can be cleared up and people have had time to explore some of the later content because they've had time to level up and experience it themselves. That or reviwers should get accounts with higher leveled characters so they can experience the higher level content sooner (maybe give reviewers a boost of exp so they can experience the leveling and game progression at an accelerated rate).
Ultimately a review should stand as a review of the state of the game at that time - with a review's value to a curious consume decreasing as time since the game's release passes meaning that the review should get out near the game's launch. Waiting for patches to go in is kind of silly - if a game is currently shit then a review should certainly act as a warning that in its current the game is indeed shit.

I do think though that a game's review should be updated if the nature of the game has shifted significantly through patches. Example: MAG for PS3 being overhauled recently, StarWars Galaxies becoming a shittier game after Jedi Patches, etc. Also think reviews should be updated if a reviewer continued the game and realized that end-game content is terrible or absolutely amazing.

Xiaoki

Kintaro said:
Oh, THAT is your point now. :lol

My point? Reviews for MMOs are absolutely, 100% meaningless in the big picture.
Because if you cant attack the message then attack how the message was delivered.

I highly doubt if the review was 9/10 you would be going to such lengths to proclaim MMO reviews as worthless.

Salaadin

theMrCravens said:
No. It is still just a videogame, and they should be reviewed when they come out.
It's the developers fault for not delaying it to fix bugs or polish it properly.

MMOs are long term efforts. They should not be reviewed days after release like any other game. This guy waited 2 weeks from the LE, 1 week from the SE. To me, thats plenty of time to get a feel for the game but Im also rolling with the assumption that he spent a good deal of time this past week or two playing it.

If he put 10 hours in and quit at rank 8, then his opinion is worth shit.

Xiaoki said:
Because if you cant attack the message then attack how the message was delivered.

I highly doubt if the review was 9/10 you would be going to such lengths to proclaim MMO reviews as worthless.

Do you know Kintaro? Hes not entirely keen on FFXIV by any means. If you followed the OT or beta threads at all, youll see his criticisms. Hes not the damaging controlling type like you seem to be implying.

If anything, if Gamespot gave the game a 9/10, we'd see him in here wondering how much SE paid them.

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Salaadin said:
MMOs are long term efforts. They should not be reviewed days after release like any other game. This guy waited 2 weeks from the LE, 1 week from the SE. To me, thats plenty of time to get a feel for the game but Im also rolling with the assumption that he spent a good deal of time this past week or two playing it.

If he put 10 hours in and quit at rank 8, then his opinion is worth shit.

Does the game change at all or is there more content at higher levels? If there's hardly anything at low levels I'd imagine it's not going to get better at high levels.

KaYotiX said:
Agree...so many ass backwards shit in the game you could of sworn it was made during the EQ days

EQ had a much better interface... in 2000.

The interface alone is such an inexcusable piece of shit that they deserve what Gamespot rated them.

Darkness said:
Does the game change at all or is there more content at higher levels? If there's hardly anything at low levels I'd imagine it's not going to get better at high levels.
People (dataminers) have reported that no, it does not. At the moment it appears to be mostly half-empty zones and leves.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Finally decided to watch the video review...

Ugh, I just got reminded why I hate XIV so, so much. Definitely the worst MMORPG I've played in my entire life. And I've played around 50+ korean MMORPGs.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
I think this review is fantastic.
Why?
Well as someone that played FFXI and like somethings, such as the world lore and art direction. I really didn't like others like the punitive game design choices and limited ways of advancement and the need for endless grinding.

I've been watching the beta reports with growing trepidation that Square hasn't learned to make a new gen MMO with a reward mentality not a punish mentality.
All the interface concerns,content concerns, and lack of features that in this day and age of MMO's must be standard features not optional.

This review confirms that currently FFXIV has failed to address most of the things I require in an MMO to invest Time and Money into.

Should there be a return to this review in 6months or at each major addon to see how the game has or hasn't improved? Absolutely.

But currently as it stands for the average gamer that isn't a FFXI fanatic this game falls into the waste of money don't buy category.

Londa

Banned
Darkness said:

As you complete missions things open up for you. Like after rank 20 missions you can now get guild actions by trading in guide points for your job. Seems like missions are the only way you can get guild points atm. Also something call the Merchant Wards opens up. But I don't know what it is. No one has explained it. I will find out about it soon. Oh, and you get a npc buddy that does missions with you. You can pick which ones you want, and what job it is. Just like FFXI fellows but they are only used in mission quest.

I'm sure as you go along, things in the game will open up.

DaBuddaDa

theMrCravens said:
Completely disingenuous argument. MMOs are not the same as other videogames and should be treated different accordingly. The social aspect, the main purpose of an MMO, is something that cannot be reflected on appropriately after only a week or two of playing.

Zalasta

Hmmm...is it me or are there a lot of people here that I have never seen posting in the beta or the official thread? I don't care if you agree with the review, but I wonder if some of these people have even played the game themselves.

DaBuddaDa said:
Completely disingenuous argument. MMOs are not the same as other videogames and should be treated different accordingly.

The reviewer specifically said the problems go beyond the superficial, and they do.

If SE patches in hand-designed zones, completely overhauls the interface, adds an Auction House, changes the fact that your character can't navigate 8-inch changes in elevation, and adds something to do other than grind mobs and leves... well, then it might be time for a re-review.

4/10 is way too generous.

At launch WAR and AOC were 10 times the game that this is. And those titles had serious issues. Cut out the FF license and graphics...no fucker would play this game. We'd all be laughing at it like we did Dark & light, vanguard and recently APB.

Salaadin

Darkness said:

Story missions unlock at rank 1, 8, 15, and 20. Class specific quests are also unlocked at 20. Faction leves are also rank 20. As you approach 20, youll start earning guild rewards for leves that can then be used to unlock abilties and skills to further your character.
It starts to become much more exciting once you get there and have the lure of new stuff breathing down your neck.

DaBuddaDa

FieryBalrog said:
The reviewer specifically said the problems go beyond the superficial, and they do.

If SE patches in hand-designed zones, completely overhauls the interface, adds an Auction House, changes the fact that your character can't navigate 8-inch changes in elevation, and adds something to do other than grind mobs and leves... well, then it might be time for a re-review.
I'm not defending FFXIV. I think it is a terrible game and needed a years worth of work before releasing it. However, you cannot accurately state "the problems go beyond the superficial" in such a short period of time.

The value of an MMO isn't reflected in its graphics or UI design. It's good if it has a strong community, you play with good friends, having fun times doing stuff in the world together, and exploring new content when it gets added over time. That is something that you cannot make a judgment on until you've played it for an extended period of time.

Edit: I realized my first and second paragraphs might seem contradictory. I did not have a good time in the beta and found a lot of the same flaws that the reviewer found, however, I will not pass judgment on it yet and forget about it.

twofold

Salaadin said:
Story missions unlock at rank 1, 8, 15, and 20. Class specific quests are also unlocked at 20. Faction leves are also rank 20. As you approach 20, youll start earning guild rewards for leves that can then be used to unlock abilties and skills to further your character.
It starts to become much more exciting once you get there and have the lure of new stuff breathing down your neck.

It looks like the grind gets exponentially more tedious past 25+, though. Videos of higher level play (for example, this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju05AYvclV4&feature=player_embedded) look infuriatingly dull with xp gain being slavishly slow.

SE has a lot of work ahead of them if they want to turn this into a fun game.

FLEABttn

Banned
Reallink said:
The worst part is they had every bit of this feedback for 6+ months--repeated hundreds of thousands of times--and didn't do shit about it. Several people deserve to lose their jobs in a humiliating and public manner over this cause it took some mighty big and stubborn ego's to go retail in this state.

Just as many people there apologized for it though. From other closed betas I've been in, it's pretty common.

-Someone posts a valid criticism.
-Apologist posts some equivalent of "What's wrong with it?" or "Well if you don't like it you can go back to WoW."
-OP posts reasoning why he has this criticism (in the case of Warhammer, someone actually took the time to draw a chart to explain what was wrong with certain aspects).
-Apologist explains why that which is bad is actually good, and by this point will definitely say "Well if you don't like it you can go back to WoW."
-Dev does nothing because the signal to noise ratio is so screwed up they think they shit candy and diamonds (or, in the case of Warhammer, OP is banned from beta, dev still thinks they shit candy and diamonds).

Londa

Banned
twofold said:
It looks like the grind gets exponentially more tedious past 25+, though. Videos of higher level play (for example, this one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju05AYvclV4&feature=player_embedded) look infuriatingly dull with xp gain being slavishly slow.

SE has a lot of work ahead of them if they want to turn this into a fun game.

His computer, and or internet sucks at running the game. Take a video of any MMO. Soloing is slow. Most MMO's don't give you anything but griding to progress. I guess FFXIV is suppose to have no griding, even tho all MMO's before it has had it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom