• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Valor

Why do you feel this way?

As a newish tank (I played PLD in 2.0 but I maybe played 2.1 and then left? I dunno, I had my Relic weapon at Zenith level) and trying to pick it back up again, there's something better?

Not asking aggressively, genuinely curious. Want to be as good as I can be and it seems like a decent buff.

30% parry isn't good, especially not on Paladin. I'd rather people pack Reprisal, which I feel many don't. Rampart/Conv/Provoke/Reprisal/Shirk I think is the best tank set up, and swapping in something like Awareness instead of Shirk for dungeon runs is probably best.

Parry as far as I know caps out at 20% mitigation, which is less than Paladins block for. Also pretty sure the game rolls for Parry before Block, so you end up taking more damage if you parry than if you would have blocked on Paladin.

Been trying to level WHM a little since 4.0 and tanks that have felt very squishy tended to really enjoy using Anticipation. As opposed to something like Rampart/Conv/Awareness/Reprisal, it's a 30% parry rate increase, which means you may get mitigation or you may not. Awareness is kind of in the same boat of RNG, but at least you are guaranteeing you cannot be crit during its duration.

I dunno. I think Anticipation is a trap and not really useful at all. Dark Knights still love it even though their entire synergy with parry has been scrapped. Confusing, to say the least.

duckroll

BALMUNG WAS A FUCKING MISTAKE
Balmung.png

Damn that sounds fun. Should I move to Balmung? I've always wondered why some dungeons have bits of lore you can interact with and read and so on, when everyone just rushes them. I might finally have found my soulmates in FFXIV!

30% parry isn't good, especially not on Paladin. I'd rather people pack Reprisal, which I feel many don't. Rampart/Conv/Provoke/Reprisal/Shirk I think is the best tank set up, and swapping in something like Awareness instead of Shirk for dungeon runs is probably best.

Parry as far as I know caps out at 20% mitigation, which is less than Paladins block for. Also pretty sure the game rolls for Parry before Block, so you end up taking more damage if you parry than if you would have blocked on Paladin.

Been trying to level WHM a little since 4.0 and tanks that have felt very squishy tended to really enjoy using Anticipation. As opposed to something like Rampart/Conv/Awareness/Reprisal, it's a 30% parry rate increase, which means you may get mitigation or you may not. Awareness is kind of in the same boat of RNG, but at least you are guaranteeing you cannot be crit during its duration.

I dunno. I think Anticipation is a trap and not really useful at all. Dark Knights still love it even though their entire synergy with parry has been scrapped. Confusing, to say the least.

Guess I'm a little too out of the meta space having just recently returned (May) and having not played the game for a few years. I'll take this to heart and look at the options you've suggested as alternatives and see what kind of impact it seems to have as I play toward level cap, thanks. :)

Squishy3

I remember when 3.4 came out my friends and I kept repeating Dragon's Dogma pawn quotes as we went through Xelphatol.

The healer we got through DF said "I have no idea what you guys are doing but I find it entertaining so please don't stop on my account."

duckroll

I wonder if we can get 24 people from the GAF FC together for a first blind RP run on Return to Ivalice when it hits. We'll be members of the Matsuno Exploratory Company and have to slowly explore each and every corner of the raid, taking screens for evidence as needed, in search of signs of life from Matsuno the Gawd. Anyone???

Edzi

I wonder if we can get 24 people from the GAF FC together for a first blind RP run on Return to Ivalice when it hits. We'll be members of the Matsuno Exploratory Company and have to slowly explore each and every corner of the raid, taking screens for evidence as needed, in search of signs of life from Matsuno the Gawd. Anyone???

get out

Guess Who

Banned
Damn that sounds fun. Should I move to Balmung? I've always wondered why some dungeons have bits of lore you can interact with and read and so on, when everyone just rushes them. I might finally have found my soulmates in FFXIV!

people make fun of balmung because "lol, erotic video game roleplay", but it's also probably the best place to go if you want non-erotic roleplay or just people who want to soak in the lore

that said, it is literally impossible to move to balmung now because it's closed to both char creation and server transfers

duckroll

people make fun of balmung because "lol, erotic video game roleplay", but it's also probably the best place to go if you want non-erotic roleplay or just people who want to soak in the lore

that said, it is literally impossible to move to balmung now because it's closed to both char creation and server transfers

There's no reason why such a lovely culture should be restricted to Balmung though. With a bit of effort and the support of the GAF FC, I think Ultros too can become a haven for such players. Every small step counts. Who's with me?!

I got 8 more Susano EX clears tonight but the last clear would not come easy. People wiping for hours because red light green light is such a hard concept to grasp. I eventually just gave up and preserved my sanity. I even saw the enrage for the first time tonight.... lol

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
What does direct hit do exactly? Is it accuracy-related? I see a lot of tanks melding it but have no understanding of the stat's context. =S

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
What does direct hit do exactly? Is it accuracy-related? I see a lot of tanks melding it but have no understanding of the stat's context. =S

It is a small crit that happens more often and can happen alongside a crit.

rubius01

Oh? You haven't heard about the world famous 24-man first day GAF runs?

The goal is to wipe so much we time-out

This reminds me of the days when I participated in a Tolkien-based MUSH. That was fun. It's like improv theater.

duckroll

Look I'm being serious. Instead of rushing forward and just trying to kill shit, let's put together 24 people to just kill stuff, look around, search every corner, etc. It's bound to be filled with FFT references and whatnot. COME ON PEOPLE. Make my dream come true.

Squishy3

Look I'm being serious. Instead of rushing forward and just trying to kill shit, let's put together 24 people to just kill stuff, look around, search every corner, etc. It's bound to be filled with FFT references and whatnot. COME ON PEOPLE. Make my dream come true.
You just need to multibox 23 computers. Instead of recruiting people for the alliance, BE the alliance.

Teknoman

Honestly I do hate the fact that i'd get left behind when trying to read stuff in dungeons.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker

We actually do this for every 24 man raid that comes out. It is fucking hilarious.

vQNdnM6.png

mFl0sKk.png

Haly

Lakshmi EX on my tank.

RDMs complain about pulling aggro, I double check and they're not using diversion.

facepalm.gif

Awareness is 2mins cd, Parry is 1min cd, it's better in general for dungeons. Sure parry roll before blocks, but block isn't 100%(unless you bulwark) so it's still better to roll more parries. The low cd means it's up for every trash pack. It's better for dungeons than other options imo. Shirk for raids where there's someone else to dump threat on so they can do more damage while tanking.

If it was 90secs/120secs I'd agree it's not nearly good enough as a cooldown, but with only 1min I like it since you can add it to whatever other cooldown you'd use on that pull for some added beefiness.

Haly

Balmung.png

This is actually Duckroll. If it weren't for GAF, Duckroll would've rolled on Balmung.

Sioen

Housing opens up tomorrow in stormblood right? Any idea what happens to people who already have a house in another housing zone?

Silav101

after having used diversion on rdm and still pull hate, im convinced it does nothing.

It's literally impossible to pull hate with diversion and lucid dreaming.

Depends on whether or not your tank is properly geared up, knows when to use dps stance, and if he/she bother to use aggro rotations.

So, it really depends on how good your tank is. A good tank can hold hate even if undergeared, a bad tank will blame others for him losing aggro.

Someone with a controller can give ne his PLD set up?. I managed to get a WAR setup that I feel good with, but with the changes in PLD and looking at the skillset for 70 I can't figure out a proper setup.

Silav101

Someone with a controller can give ne his PLD set up?. I managed to get a WAR setup that I feel good with, but with the changes in PLD and looking at the skillset for 70 I can't figure out a proper setup.

PS4 user here.

I use the Expanded cross-hotbar system, so I have a good amount of slots. Every person's preferences vary, but this works for me. I keep the general layout of my hotbars the same for all my characters, it helps with the muscle memory because I have pretty much all classes at 50+

Main visible hotbars (R2 and L2 hotbars): contain my most used abilties, like aggro and damage combos, provoke, shield lob and shield bash, Sheltron and Shield Swipe, Flash, AoE attack and Holy Spirit, and Hallowed Ground, because I always want my Hail Mary button to be easy to access. Same goes for my Warrior and DRK and frankly all my other classes.

R2+L2 hotbar: Personal offensive and defensive / utility cooldowns, the most used ones.
L2+R2 hotbar: Stance swap, other / utility cooldowns, the less used ones.
W-hotbar: Mount, limit break, anything else (right now I have tempered will in there, there's a lot of displacement attacks in the endgame of Stormblood, wow).

Horizontal hotbar on top of my chat log which show which of my cooldowns are up, and how long left until they are up, so I can keep track of them without having to constantly check them manually.

I could go into actual button detail, but that won't work for anyone but myself lol. General idea is to keep the most used abilities on the screen, and group similar abilities together.

royox

PS4 user here.

I use the Expanded cross-hotbar system, so I have a good amount of slots. Every person's preferences vary, but this works for me. I keep the general layout of my hotbars the same for all my characters, it helps with the muscle memory because I have pretty much all classes at 50+

Main visible hotbars (R2 and L2 hotbars): contain my most used abilties, like aggro and damage combos, provoke, shield lob and shield bash, Sheltron and Shield Swipe, Flash, AoE attack and Holy Spirit, and Hallowed Ground, because I always want my Hail Mary button to be easy to access. Same goes for my Warrior and DRK and frankly all my other classes.

R2+L2 hotbar: Personal offensive and defensive / utility cooldowns, the most used ones.
L2+R2 hotbar: Stance swap, other / utility cooldowns, the less used ones.
W-hotbar: Mount, limit break, anything else (right now I have tempered will in there, there's a lot of displacement attacks in the endgame of Stormblood, wow).

Horizontal hotbar on top of my chat log which show which of my cooldowns are up, and how long left until they are up, so I can keep track of them without having to constantly check them manually.

I could go into actual button detail, but that won't work for anyone but myself lol. General idea is to keep the most used abilities on the screen, and group similar abilities together.

It's also very usefull if you use a hotbar only to see if "hidden" skills are still on CD. This shit was game-changing for me when I learned it.

nFhFRha.jpg

kaze343

It's literally impossible to pull hate with diversion and lucid dreaming.

not if you had the tank i had in my kugane castle. he held hate for all of 3 seconds, lost it, let me tank for a minute, and then provoked. when i used lucid, i dropped, and then soon was about to pull of him again. then again, i should have made it clear that i was being sarcastic about it doing nothing.
So for controllers the extra hotbar for hidden cooldowns is just for visual aid right?
most people i know use it for that. cant imagine what other use it would have that isnt filled by the cross bar.

Firebrand

So for controllers the extra hotbar for hidden cooldowns is just for visual aid right?

Yes (unless you grab the mouse or use virtual mouse (ew) for less critical things), though you can also rebind buttons (say, stick clicks) to macros 98 and 99, and put up hotbars for the cooldowns.

Top Bottom