• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Frumix

Suffering From Success
Yes. I don't think it makes much of a difference because unless you mess up your rotation you'll be getting that 100% proc anyway.

No, it is important. It means that if you can't melee for any reason you'll still be guaranteed a proc even when you overcap on mana.

People barely know how to stack in Nidhogg, you can't expect them to cross over to the other side.

(please stop giving me nidhogg, trials roulette kthx)

scy

When tanking, I just treat electrocution in Susano as a bonus raid wide AoE mechanic.

#TankPrivilege; it's not like he does any damage otherwise.

Edzi

People barely know how to stack in Nidhogg, you can't expect them to cross over to the other side.

(please stop giving me nidhogg, trials roulette kthx)

I just did Nidhogg (part 2) last night and didn't hear anything about any stacking mechanic lol.

The trouble I run into with Susano EX is that DPS dying to stupid shit or tanks not readying themselves for tank busters and by the time we're at the lightning bolts and people not jumping the gap me and the other healer are trying to inject mana potions into our eyeballs.

MechaX

Merlwyb's high point was a 1.23 cutscene and she's been going steadily downhill since then.

Maybe one day the story will focus on one of the original cities that isn't Uldah but not today.

I can't wait until Lancer Quest dude returns in the Gridiania storyline screaming about courage or some shit.

I just did Nidhogg (part 2) last night and didn't hear anything about any stacking mechanic lol.

In the Final Steps of Faith, you're supposed to stack and share damage when he marks someone with the giant four flashing inward arrows for Akh Morn. What usually ends up happening in the DF is that one or two people actually stack, they all die, and it's probably a wipe as people furiously try to explain what stacking is, lol.

To be fair, I think it's the first time you're likely to see those arrows. Doesn't stop people from needing it explained again in Alexander, tho.

R0ckman

Zenos feels... very badly written. Kind of like he is nothing but the raw manifestation of a specfic villain trope. Like he's the anti-ARR-HW big bad villain right down to the effort put into him.

Its so bad my wife was in the room saw him for pretty much the first time, made a mocking line based on her first impression of him, then he actually immediately after said almost the exact line she mocked him with.

Edzi

In the Final Steps of Faith, you're supposed to stack and share damage when he marks someone with the giant four flashing inward arrows for Akh Morn. What usually ends up happening in the DF is that one or two people actually stack, they all die, and it's probably a wipe as people furiously try to explain what stacking is, lol.

To be fair, I think it's the first time you're likely to see those arrows. Doesn't stop people from needing it explained again in Alexander, tho.

Wow, yeah, one guy mentioned stacking in the chat but nobody actually explained what it was so we just kept going ham. It worked, but I can see why people are going to be having a hard time with SB content, since newer players like me are running through HW content with people who are overgeared and kind of unwilling to explain mechanics since we can usually get away with ignoring them.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
WTF did I step into bizarro world?!
No your just LTTP.

I myself dislike Bismarck for many reasons and this is a sentiment that all of my IRL friends who play the game also carry. Heck it's been a general census for a while now.

Lakshmi
Ex cleared multiple times in DF today for my full healer set.

This really is the easiest Ex Primal fight in all of 2.0,3.0,4.0.

Does it change at all from Normal?

Just did Stormblood MSQ today, gonna start doing the 70 dungeons etc tonight or tomorrow...but the urge isn't quite there with the new Tomes in a few weeks.

wamberz1

It's the first time if you only follow the MSQ, yeah. There is singularity reactor EX and Sephirot before that patch-wise, but those are optional.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Zenos feels... very badly written. Kind of like he is nothing but the raw manifestation of a specfic villain trope. Like he's the anti-ARR-HW big bad villain right down to the effort put into him.

Its so bad my wife was in the room saw him for pretty much the first time, made a mocking line based on her first impression of him, then he actually immediately after said almost the exact line she mocked him with.

He's basically lazy asexual non-Dio Luca Blight.

WTF did I step into bizarro world?!
Maybe it just went too easily, but it was basically tank an add hit it a few times, repeat.
For how cool it seemed the actual fight let me down.

She had an original voice that fit,
HW sounded weird but still fit but now later in HW her voice sounds different once again as it is far deeper and older sounding.
It doesn't remotely fit.

Aeana

I love the Bismarck fight because the second phase music is amazing. Mechanically it is pretty simple, though, that's true.

However, people STILL struggled with it at release!

Cmagus

And somehow people still can't get this right.

Susano is an absolute mess in PF. It's literally the most basic you can get mechanically and people just don't seem to ever catch on.

Coming up on 30 Lakshmi clears and haven't seen a single mount drop yet. At least I'm fully geared minus the Susano weapon but I think I'm kind of burnt out on Lakshmi now so I'll tackle the mount later on.

Baliis

I love the Bismarck fight because the second phase music is amazing. Mechanically it is pretty simple, though, that's true.

However, people STILL struggled with it at release!

You have to fire the dragon killers or whatever, it's basically steps of faith all over again.

iammeiam

SusanoEX is pretty good for planning out cool downs practice, though. Just assume everyone is going to fuck up constantly, and stagger CDs to cope. It's not like there's any one role that is more competent than the others--I've had healers chase me down with the stack marker because I managed to not die to their terrible line-baiting and they don't understand that I'm running away to be able to LB3 everyone up after they're done dying to their own stupidity and instead 2-stack and wipe us.

I dunno, I've reached this zen state where I assume at least one lightning will fail per 4-set and have accepted it. First time I've had a reason to plan in Lightspeed use for MP preservation reasons and not just I want to run around while casting reasons.

Sciel

Does it change at all from Normal?

Just did Stormblood MSQ today, gonna start doing the 70 dungeons etc tonight or tomorrow...but the urge isn't quite there with the new Tomes in a few weeks.
Yeah it does change a lot. New mechanics are very easy to understand/handle though.
Susano is an absolute mess in PF. It's literally the most basic you can get mechanically and people just don't seem to ever catch on.

Coming up on 30 Lakshmi clears and haven't seen a single mount drop yet. At least I'm fully geared minus the Susano weapon but I think I'm kind of burnt out on Lakshmi now so I'll tackle the mount later on.
I saw 2 today and lost both. fml.

scy

~20-ish clears on both so far. Zero Susano mounts, two Lakshmi ones. 1 of each crafting drop. And about 17 fucking SCH/SMN books.

Shahed

Final fight of
Kugane Castle
is super not nice to Life of the Dragon :/
Nothing is. I've felt fights so far haven't been kind to MNK and DRG at times, but Life of th Dragon takes the cake. It's badly thought out

Just curious what the problem is exactly?

I mean Bismarck doesn't rank high on my list of primals either, but it's more that its bland than poor. I at least dig the two snakes segment with the buffs. Keeps the party on their toes, at least by a small margin. Also its a nice rush getting his core exposed on the first pass. It does deserve more mechanics to shake things up certainly, but is it just how straightforward it is that is the problem?
It's just mechanically a very uninteresting fight. I didn't start HW until 3.3, so Bismark was just pure steamrolled and treated as a joke on my very first try. All I had to do was one tank swap. However despite overgearing, I could still see the fun in a fight like Thordan or Sephirot Ex, but didn't apply in Bismark. Heck if I get Bismark normal in Trial Roulette, it's a more demanding fight.

Lakshmi is almost already like that, and it'll just get worse as gear gets better. There's pretty much nothing to the fight bar popping this one thing every now and then. Also as a tank I'm not a fan of encounters that don't have some kind of tank swap mechanic, or just something that requires another tank like A11s. Makes fights boring and I just feel like I should have came as my MNK instead. The saving grace for Lakshmi is the music

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
No your just LTTP.

I myself dislike Bismarck for many reasons and this is a sentiment that all of my IRL friends who play the game also carry. Heck it's been a general census for a while now.

Just curious what the problem is exactly?

I mean Bismarck doesn't rank high on my list of primals either, but it's more that its bland than poor. I at least dig the two snakes segment with the buffs. Keeps the party on their toes, at least by a small margin. Also its a nice rush getting his core exposed on the first pass. It does deserve more mechanics to shake things up certainly, but is it just how straightforward it is that is the problem?

MechaX

I still need to run the Extreme primals and haven't looked at the mechanics, but y'all are making me anxious about these supposedly easy mechanics.

Robin64

I could cry with joy. Got into a DF group that had everyone already understanding how to beat Menagerie, and we were able to execute it first time. After days of beating my head against people leaving and vote abandons, this is such an amazing feeling.

Still going on record to say it needs a nerf, though. Or Echo.

Shahed

I could cry with joy. Got into a DF group that had everyone already understanding how to beat Menagerie, and we were able to execute it first time. After days of beating my head against people leaving and vote abandons, this is such an amazing feeling.

Still going on record to say it needs a nerf, though. Or Echo.

It'll need a nerf. Echo won't stop people falling off

I still need to run the Extreme primals and haven't looked at the mechanics, but y'all are making me anxious about these supposedly easy mechanics.

I'm not kidding when I said my random PF practise group killed it on the very first blind run attempt. Having cleared it more since, yes we would have got lucky on the add phase, but everything else is pretty straightforward. Just got to pay attention and react

Squishy3

That's probably going to be more Tactics Ogre Ivalice than FF XII Ivalice. Pretty sure XII doesn't represent Matsuno's ideal conception of Ivalice due to all the interference from others.
Yoshida already told us to brush up on our FFT lore.

Tactics Ogre stuff is already in the game a plenty. (Fractal and Neverreap drop Tactics Ogre gear, the level 69 dungeon drops Ogre Battle gear)

It'll need a nerf. Echo won't stop people falling off

I'm not kidding when I said my random PF practise group killed it on the very first blind run attempt. Having cleared it more since, yes we would have got lucky on the add phase, but everything else is pretty straightforward. Just got to pay attention and react
There's only three instances where people can fall off and they're all easily avoidable! Just run at the boss, run at the pulsing tornado, don't move.

What's that, the floor is frozen? Time to run after Diamond Dust finishes casting!
SusanoEX is pretty good for planning out cool downs practice, though. Just assume everyone is going to fuck up constantly, and stagger CDs to cope. It's not like there's any one role that is more competent than the others--I've had healers chase me down with the stack marker because I managed to not die to their terrible line-baiting and they don't understand that I'm running away to be able to LB3 everyone up after they're done dying to their own stupidity and instead 2-stack and wipe us.

I dunno, I've reached this zen state where I assume at least one lightning will fail per 4-set and have accepted it. First time I've had a reason to plan in Lightspeed use for MP preservation reasons and not just I want to run around while casting reasons.
I need to start getting smarter with healer CD use, I was mostly saving Thin Air for blade phase and some of the tighter Ukehis, using it during thunder tango sounds awesome.
Final fight of
Kugane Castle
is super not nice to Life of the Dragon :/
Fuck your Eye stacks, time to play Super Mario

ebil

Okay, Ninja is 70. The whole questline was really fun, I loved it (especially after 3.0's being so bad).

Ten Chi Jin is very destabilizing for muscle memory, I rabbit Medium'd it twice when I tried it lol.

Shahed

There's only three instances where people can fall off and they're all easily avoidable! Just run at the boss, run at the pulsing tornado, don't move.
If that logic applied to everything the game would be so easy. What do you mean the entire Alliance has ran off and are now hiding behind a shield? I'll stay here and DPS the boss.

Never overestimate the general awareness of the playerbase

Squishy3

Okay, Ninja is 70. The whole questline was really fun, I loved it (especially after 3.0's being so bad).

Ten Chi Jin is very destabilizing for muscle memory, I rabbit Medium'd it twice when I tried it lol.
I was actually surprised the Raen princess from the Ninja storyline didn't show up in the MSQ, you'd think that'd have been somewhat relevant. :thinking:

ebil

I was actually surprised the Raen princess from the Ninja storyline didn't show up in the MSQ, you'd think that'd have been somewhat relevant. :thinking:
I don't know if you have done the Ninja job quests yet
but she shows up there instead.

Squishy3

Dark Knight quests are the best quest lines in the damn game.
Yeah, the Stormblood stuff is pretty good.

Dark Knight 60-70 quest spoilers
Them bringing back the girl that poisons you in 3.2 was pretty good and how you save her being abused by her corrections officer, plus it going back full circle and us meeting the guy we actually gave the medicine to in Quarrymill is really good. I haven't done the level 70 job quest yet but'll probably get there today or tomorrow.

Ebris

Dark Knight quests are the best quest lines in the damn game.
Agreed. Like, the other job quests don't come close. I was checking out BLM quests for Stormblood after experiencing how amazing the DRK quests were, and I was equally blown away at how trite and bad they were in comparison.

Who could have guessed that the edgelord class has the best writing of all the classes?

Ya'll making me want to level up DRK. Are the SB quests on the level of the 50-60 DRK storyline?

I sure need some good job questing after 10 more levels of fucking Sylphie and those BRD army dorks or whatever the fuck they are since I stopped paying attention after I hit 50.

Top Bottom