• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Seijuro

When are the forced logouts in EU servers?

Finally got my DRK to 60 today and now about halfway into Dragonsong War (next up are Sohr Khal and Final Steps of Faith). Hopefully I can start Stormblood by the weekend.
The nice thing about being late with playing the Patches is that they throw pretty good blue gear after you as MSQ rewards, even right side items. Gotta love them coffers. Went from ilvl 170 to 245 in a few hours.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ccc5Vd0UUAAdQUd.jpg

Balmung was a mistake.

Luminaire

We should have been hopping from island to island, throwing other islands at Bismarck. Hop to an island, kill adds, set a bomb, get off before he eats it, boom dmg. Let me design Bismarck Savage pls.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Going to level SAM through SB via quests. So that makes 3 "leveling" experiences.

RDM: MSQ
PLD: Dungeon/PVP grind
SAM: Questing

With all the songs being a core part of rotation alongside some other new twists, it feels like I am hitting far more hotkeys than ever before, which consequently, and ironically, also limited my ability to move as freely like in the pre-bowcaster days.

Or at least using a controller where I can't keep my thumb off the dpad hotkeys long enough in my rotation to actually use the stick to dance about the battlefield.
Put what you absolutely must have on face buttons onto both extensions of R2+L2 and L2+R2 and then the double taps. There should be enough room for that, honestly. I only feel like stopping to move is an issue for certain things, like Barrage or Raging Strikes, but that's because I keep personal buffs on the d-pad sections. I also keep mount commands and crap there. My setup is weird, though.

I did this exact thing a couple of days ago.

Who didn't do this when they got quests from there?

Hello everyone,

With all the positive buzz around this xpac I think I may come back to FF14, I played 30 days back in 2014 and I had a whale of a time getting my Black mage to 50 and completing the main quest, I have done nothing beyond 2.1 as far as I can remember.

So I have a few questions:

1) Since this expansion features heavensward (correct?) and I have yet to do anything after 2.1 how long will it actually take me to reach stormblood content? Will I need more than 30 days of play?

2) How do Black mages play nowadays? Back when I played they lacked a lot of mobility (almost none from what I remember) but the burst dmg was satisfying, have they been nerfed / buffed or completely changed?

3) I picked up a ps4 recently and I was wondering how viable is it to run the game on PC / PS4. For example, once I upgrade my account with Stormblood, is there any way for me to play the game on PS4 with a cheap vanilla copy? I know cant access xpac content, but could I log out on PC in a 2.0 area and log back in on PS4 just to do some crafting etc. ?

4) How is the leveling curve in 2017? I never leveled a 2nd job back in 2014 because frankly it looked like a ball ache, I would have loved to have white mage (ebony and ivory lol) but once I exhausted all the main quests with my BLM I disappointed to see I'd just have use the dungeon roulette over and over to get decent levels.

Going to level SAM through SB via quests. So that makes 3 "leveling" experiences.

RDM: MSQ
PLD: Dungeon/PVP grind
SAM: Questing

You need to be Q's for dungeons while doing squats or you will never make it. Rested bonus dungeons with armory bonus is unbeatable

Shahed

This is the old pre-cross-world PF, though.

Balmung is now out and infecting the rest of Aether PF. Srs raid drama interacting with daddy era? How are we not seeing more screenshots.
Just like how there are Roulette, Trial and Raid tabs, there needs to be an RP Tab. Other isn't good enough. That way you can change your filters to never see it

It's not something I'll ever relale to though. As much as I think Balmung is a mistake, first I'm on Chaos, and more Importantly ever since they added the tabs, I'm usually in either the the Raid or Trial one don't even see the rest

Ashodin

Slowly waiting for my wife to come around on a class she wants to take into Sestasha. She's leaning towards Archer, but she also likes Rogue, and Lancer...

Meanwhile I'm sitting here on Level 21 GLD and Level 18 CNJ...

Fauve

Is there a way to increase voice audio during cutscenes without affecting the voice audio some NPCs have during fights? I raised the voice audio to near max to help me hear scenes better but the times where there are NPCs speaking in fights, their voices are way louder than cutscenes voices.

Gears

Yo so im just now starting the game, which class should i pick during creation if i want to play a fun healer down the road. Conjurer?

ebil

When are the forced logouts in EU servers?

Finally got my DRK to 60 today and now about halfway into Dragonsong War (next up are Sohr Khal and Final Steps of Faith). Hopefully I can start Stormblood by the weekend.
The nice thing about being late with playing the Patches is that they throw pretty good blue gear after you as MSQ rewards, even right side items. Gotta love them coffers. Went from ilvl 170 to 245 in a few hours.
Was around 2 PM CEST today.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Hello everyone,

With all the positive buzz around this xpac I think I may come back to FF14, I played 30 days back in 2014 and I had a whale of a time getting my Black mage to 50 and completing the main quest, I have done nothing beyond 2.1 as far as I can remember.

So I have a few questions:

1) Since this expansion features heavensward (correct?) and I have yet to do anything after 2.1 how long will it actually take me to reach stormblood content? Will I need more than 30 days of play?

2) How do Black mages play nowadays? Back when I played they lacked a lot of mobility (almost none from what I remember) but the burst dmg was satisfying, have they been nerfed / buffed or completely changed?

3) I picked up a ps4 recently and I was wondering how viable is it to run the game on PC / PS4. For example, once I upgrade my account with Stormblood, is there any way for me to play the game on PS4 with a cheap vanilla copy? I know cant access xpac content, but could I log out on PC in a 2.0 area and log back in on PS4 just to do some crafting etc. ?

4) How is the leveling curve in 2017? I never leveled a 2nd job back in 2014 because frankly it looked like a ball ache, I would have loved to have white mage (ebony and ivory lol) but once I exhausted all the main quests with my BLM I disappointed to see I'd just have use the dungeon roulette over and over to get decent levels.

1. It'll take you a chunk of the month, but I imagine you could get the 2.1-3.5 stuff done. Maybe as little as 2 weeks. They also have story jump potions you can buy off Square's site, that'll let you skip all of the story up until the start of Stormblood, if you want to. Think there's also a story jump potion for just the "ARR" 2.0 game, so you could use that to skip through the 2.1-2.5 story and go to 3.0/Heavensward.

2. BLM generally will always be a stationary job. BLM's do get a triplecast ability in the mid 60's, that will let you run around and throw big spells with no cast time (if combined with Quickcast, that's 4 spells). BLM at 60 get the full Fire4/Blizzard 4 rotation, which are super high power single target spells (Fire4 specifically). The changeup of the battle system changed that some, but that's the basic thing to shoot for. Level 70 goes and adds on a higher damage spell, Foul, that is kind of a rotation added onto the Fire4/Blizz4 rotation.

3. I believe that should work. Say, have stormblood on the PC, and basegame on the PS4. Something I could actually try out, since I did have a copy of the original game, just haven't turned it on since HW.

4. There are a few weekly bonus XP challenge logs, there's Palace of the Dead (randomly generated dungeons that give massive xp every 10 levels). There are a few ways to quickly get up to at least 50 (think preordering Stormblood came with an earring of 30% XP bonus up to level 50). There's also a separate level jump potion you can buy, that will let you have any 1 job get bumped to level 60.

kromeo

Yo so im just now starting the game, which class should i pick during creation if i want to play a fun healer down the road. Conjurer?

That's your only option for healer at the start so yes

If you want to play Scholar which is the healer with pet then you'll need to choose Arcanist but you'd have to play dps until lv 30

Gears

That's your only option for healer at the start so yes

If you want to play Scholar which is the healer with pet then you'll need to choose Arcanist but you'd have to play dps until lv 30

Ah okay, I wasnt aware that there was only one healer at the start. I'll go with arcanist for now then, thank you!

ebil

So, I thought that with the new changes to both tank stats and DPS actions/totations etc. we wouldn't see stuff like DPS being within 50 DPS of the Paladin anymore. Boy was I wrong, turns out there's always a way .

CLBridges

The difference between a Bard opener with barrage and refulgent proc or not getting one is huge. I was testing my rotation on sus ex and lak ex dummy and although I can down both without the superior opener, getting those proc took off about 10-12 seconds for the finish.

3. I believe that should work. Say, have stormblood on the PC, and basegame on the PS4. Something I could actually try out, since I did have a copy of the original game, just haven't turned it on since HW.

Thanks for responding, very detailed answer. It would be awesome if you could check out the vanilla game on PS4, would kinda suck to have to buy two copies of stormblood.

Those potions sound cool but tbh I thought the story and atmosphere was the best thing about the base game, so I couldn't imagine skipping stuff.

With all the exp bonuses and whatnot (I think you got a bonus for having a character at max lvl?) how long do you think it would take to lvl a white mage as of now? Granted, I imagine whm is very weak on dmg.

To my healer friends, how do you politely tell a tank to actually use their defensive cooldowns without coming off sounding like an asshole?

I just did the Merchant for a Day sidequest, and I have to say I'm impressed with the variety on display in the quest design in Stormblood. While you still have your "kill x monsters" quests of course, there's clearly been thought put into providing different kinds of gameplay experiences in the various quests, both main and side, in addition to trying to spice up even more mundane quests with interesting bits of world building or characterization in the dialogue. I'm pleased with how the XIV team is stretching themselves with these sorts of things.

Edzi

To my healer friends, how do you politely tell a tank to actually use their defensive cooldowns without coming off sounding like an asshole?

I heal a little on the side (only dungeons so far though, still a scrub) and I had this happen yesterday with a brand new tank. I just tell them bluntly to try using some of their cooldowns and offer general advice. Usually they take it well as long as you're not being an asshole, but if they decide to be snippy I'll just be snippy back. It's never gotten bad enough where I've had to withhold healing, but I'm not above that if given sufficient sass.

Squishy3

The difference between a Bard opener with barrage and refulgent proc or not getting one is huge. I was testing my rotation on sus ex and lak ex dummy and although I can down both without the superior opener, getting those proc took off about 10-12 seconds for the finish.
However many critical-directs you get is a pretty large variation too.

aka_bueno

Beat HW/3.0 last night, start 3.1 tonight. Still have my New Adventurer leaf lol.

Anywho, HW was dope. I still think ARR is one of the worst leveling/questing/story experiences of the MMOs I've played but 2.1-2.5 + 3.0 are some of the best.

Now I have to make it through 3.1-3.5 to get to SB. But I've played SO MUCH of this game in a short amount of time, I still feel so far away from SB and it's frustrating lol.

Luigi87

Beat HW/3.0 last night, start 3.1 tonight. Still have my New Adventurer leaf lol.

Anywho, HW was dope. I still think ARR is one of the worst leveling/questing/story experiences of the MMOs I've played but 2.1-2.5 + 3.0 are some of the best.

Now I have to make it through 3.1-3.5 to get to SB. But I've played SO MUCH of this game in a short amount of time, I still feel so far away from SB and it's frustrating lol.

3.X is good.
Really good.

Finally wrapped up the MSQ and I think SB is probably my favourite chunk of XIV story so far. Really enjoyed the lighter tone, the mix of new and old characters and it was great to see all the pieces come together to fight against the empire.

That last trial was fantastic as well. It was nice to have a fight that delivered spectacle worthy of a finale battle while also managing to be an engaging fight that isn't just a cakewalk.

"Hey *tank*, could you use your Def CDs a bit more please?"

then if they refuse go

"Fuck you guys, I'm going Battle Astrologian"
Everytime I ask this, I become the bad guy.

"Hey, is your gear broken? How come youre getting wrecked so hard? Maybe use your CDs"
This is probably what I'll use from now on.

I heal a little on the side (only dungeons so far though, still a scrub) and I had this happen yesterday with a brand new tank. I just tell them bluntly to try using some of their cooldowns and offer general advice. Usually they take it well as long as you're not being an asshole, but if they decide to be snippy I'll just be snippy back. It's never gotten bad enough where I've had to withhold healing, but I'm not above that if given sufficient sass.
In older content I'll usually just try to offer tips since they probably don't know how to effectively use them yet. This was in the level 67 (yes 67) dungeon with a tank who was 1. Undergeared 2. Only used rampart once when I wanted to see if he would pop one if his hp got below 15%.

Hey tank can you use your CDs to make my life easier? No? Ok, then I won't use mine either
I will also use this when the tank gets snippy.

Ruff

Hit the trail cap so went all in with the complete edition. £22 for base game + both expansions and 1 month of game time is pretty nice :D Can't wait to get stuck in

Nope - licenses are separate per platform (PC/Mac/PS4). You will need to buy all packs for both platforms to play across them.

(you can see what platforms and versions you have access to by logging into MogStation)

Taking my time (because I decided to play SAM this ex-pack) and just beat regular the first primal. I can already guess where the troubles in the Ex are going to come from, lol.

Ask them nicely. If they refuse, time to play the how-low-can-you-go game.

Luminaire

I usually try to nice and friendly about it, typically something kind like "hey fucker use a CD or stay dead on the floor"

It's all about being kind and stern, but not too stern.

LordKasual

Banned

true, but the variance is so massive that I don't see the point in even sweating it.

I'm kind of sad that Refulgent doesn't have any kind of modifier to increase its chances. Just a flat 20%.

Top Bottom