• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

I wish there was a way on MSQs when you're supposedly in a group the the other NPCs actually stayed with you instead of just disappearing and already being at the destination or waypoint.

iammeiam

I need to start getting smarter with healer CD use, I was mostly saving Thin Air for blade phase and some of the tighter Ukehis, using it during thunder tango sounds awesome.

A lot of it is just adjusting to the expectation that the other healer will explode into nothingness at any moment and having a plan B; AST has a lot of stupid stuff we can abuse pretty heavily to reduce some of the MP drain. Earthly Star is amazing as a top-off after Lightning spam pre-Ukehi--during the stun section planting it around the second party jump should let you pop it when everyone jumps back to the safe side after the last stun/lightning. and between that and a shield and Collective Unconscious it's usually a minimal MP-drain segment. Earthly Star is also a nice way to top everyone off at the end of the sword/orb phase without needing to waste a GCD on a direct cast, then pop off to the side, Collective, then Lucid + Celestial Oppo to extend MP regen time and keep the Celestial regen running on everyone a while longer. Pre-shield the tank buster, sit on Lady of Cups cards for bonus emergency oGCD heal, etc etc etc. Collective is also nice because everyone will instinctively run inside it a way they won't for Earthly Star/Sacred Soil/Asylum, which can make Cure 3'ing easier.

None of which is particularly helpful for you at all, I'm just rambling. Really the best thing that happened to me was probably having a SCH disconnect in the middle of P1 on an early learning pull and not make it back into the game for a long time. I got to figure out solo healing the sword thing and the first... three? I think? lightning sets in final phase before a bad bait over the safety line ruined everything, which was excellent preparation for figuring out cool down stuff without the fear of anyone blaming me if we wiped.

I've hit this weird cognitive dissonance spot where I still wish the fight was harder, but sticking with learning/clear parties to farm has been a really excellent way to get super familiar with the full extent of AST at 70. I still worry about what things are going to look like in PF in a month, but eh.

The game just dropped me out for "maintance" I was in a cut scene and wasnt afk or anything, id hazard a guess it wasn't supposed to do that?

Yes. Because people on big servers are being asshats and abusing afk timer glitches, they're logging everyone out. They warned everyone two hours ago that it'd happen at 3pm EST. (or, noon PST).

I don't like it, but it's likely easier than fixing the glitches for now.

Servers should be coming back up relatively soon.

Shahed

They are doing mass server logouts at 12 POST daily to try to curb the afk'ers. It's a terrible bandaid solution.
If Odin is anything to go by, it seems to have helped somewhat. Queues aren't as high and orogress way faster. We were one of, if not the worst servers in Chaos as well

erawsd

The game just dropped me out for "maintance" I was in a cut scene and wasnt afk or anything, id hazard a guess it wasn't supposed to do that?

It was intentional. They reset the servers because they have no other way of kicking AFK people off high population worlds without kicking everyone out, even those where its not an issue. They seriously need to invest in some new server tech/upgrades.

studyguy

DDgnm0zXUAAadOl.jpg:large

Miner 70 today

LordKasual

Banned
I think Lyse had a point about dying is easier and living is harder so Fordola had to redeem herself by living, or something. That's why she called Zenos murdering himself a coward.

I gotta agree on Zenos' part though. I feel like one last 1v1 instance versus him would have felt more rewarding.

Actually, for me it had nothing to do with the fight itself...Having the player physically kill him wouldn't have made his death any more satisfying to me.

It was an empty victory because Zenos had an empty motive, he was never fighting to win or lose, he was just fighting to feel as though he was alive in the first place. Lyse called him a coward, but I think she misunderstood his purpose for killing himself.

I want to say that living in a cell would have been harder for Zenos too...but assuming they could actually contain him, I doubt it would have been much different to him than sitting on a throne. The guy was completely fucked.

Also endgame spoilers:

That said, does anyone else believe that
the new revelation about the Echo will eventually manifest as a way to finally allow players to legit summon primals? Or even temporarily become them at some point?

A similar ability to was alluded to by Lahabrea when they both merge into Ascian Prime, and again before with Leviathan.

As if the Warrior of Light needed to be even more broken.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That said, does anyone else believe that the new revelation about the Echo will eventually manifest as a way to finally allow players to legit summon primals?

No, but I figure this is the next step for the Garleans.

studyguy

Fordola's plan for freedom never made sense. Forever being a second class citizen seemed like a shitty deal. One can argue they wouldn't do any better considering they were under the yoke of the empire, but I don't understand the the hatred at the end for losing to the WoL. One would have imagined if you're actually going for freedom, you'd split when the empire was clearly on the ropes, but w/e. It wasn't even clear if she ever regretted her choices, just a dull "these are the circumstances I understand the costs!!11" but when actually faced with what she had done she just kept getting more angry to the very end. Still expecting a redemption arc for her and Yayowhat'sherface

The point to point set pieces were cool but the story was a whole bunch of w/e for me once it hit Ala Migho. They literally could have ignored Ala Migho as a whole and I would have been more fulfilled with Othard adventures.

The expac should have just centered around the Steppe.

LordKasual

Banned
No, but I figure this is the next step for the Garleans.

Well....Eorzea is fucked.

...but I doubt that the current emperor will humor the technology after watching what Zenos did...

the way that Garlemald seems to always go is that they all continuously do fucked up things, but the underlying motive is either ultimately well-meaning (save the planet) or completely whacked (drop Dalmund, "The Hunt").

Some moron comes along and almost destroys the planet, but the majority of the Garleans seem to have their head about them. Gaius, that guy who died in Heavensward (Hydra?) and current Emperor do seem to have ultimately reasonable interests in mind. Controlling primals does not go hand in hand with their reasoning. It's why Zenos had to do it on his own.

Haly

Fordola's plan for freedom never made sense. Forever being a second class citizen seemed like a shitty deal. One can argue they wouldn't do any better considering they were under the yoke of the empire, but I don't understand the the hatred at the end for losing to the WoL.
It wasn't really a plan for freedom. It was acquiescence to the conqueror. She saw survival through integration, like, say, one of Rome's conquests during the 200s.

That she resents what the WoL did, I don't think the story conveyed very well but it's easy to explain. The truth is, the only reason they haven't been utterly exterminated is because Garlemald doesn't feel like it. Were they to bring the full brunt of their forces on Ala Mhigo there's no way they'd maintain their freedom. To her, our "liberation" of Ala Mhigo is just delaying the inevitable, and Garlemald's retribution will be so much worse than just having Zenos as a viceroy.

Oh and obviously she sacrificed a lot of her own pride and morals submitting to Zenos and seeing it go to waste would rankle anyone.

The expac should have just centered around the Steppe.
Agreed.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Just curious what the problem is exactly?

I mean Bismarck doesn't rank high on my list of primals either, but it's more that its bland than poor. I at least dig the two snakes segment with the buffs. Keeps the party on their toes, at least by a small margin. Also its a nice rush getting his core exposed on the first pass. It does deserve more mechanics to shake things up certainly, but is it just how straightforward it is that is the problem?

Fine I will tell you my qualms with this Primal.

-First and foremost I dislike the fact that through 95% of the fight your not actually fighting the Primal itself you're just killing Adds while occasionally hopping on his back to scratch the boil on it's back. All other Primals don't have this issue but with Bismarck? It's just and add fest instead of a Primal fight.

-The extra 2 death conditions are annoying specially in PUGs. Falled off the edge,got pushed off the edge,tried to jump on Bismarck too early or tried to jump off him incorrectly? Well your dead AND you can't be resurrected. Didn't kill Bismarck fast enough and he slammed into the island one too many times? You get a party wipe.

-You can't burn him down. This is dependent on the party members you start with during PUGs but unless you got a good group of players that can dish out a good amount of damage than you basically have to go through 4 phases to jump on on his back 4 times to kill him. Granted I never done Bismarck EX and I haven't gone back to tried him with an undersized party so this may not be an issue in those scenarios.

studyguy

Bismark is old and busted.
Ifrit and Bismark are literally the least interesting primal fights.
Least interesting mechanics.
Most forgettable themes.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Fine I will tell you my qualm with this Primal.

-First and foremost I dislike the fact that through 95% of the fight your not actually fighting the Primal itself you're just killing Adds while occasionally hopping on his back to scratch the boil on it's back. All other Primals don't have this issue but with Bismarck? It's just and add fest instead of a Primal fight.

-The extra 2 death conditions are annoying specially in PUGs. Falled off the edge,got pushed off the edge,tried to jump on Bismarck too early or tried to jump off him incorrectly? Well your dead AND you can't be resurrected. Didn't kill Bismarck fast enough and he slammed into the island one too many times? You get a party wipe.

-You can't burn him down. This is dependent on the party members you start with during PUGs but unless you got a good group of players that can dish out a good amount of damage than you basically have to go through 4 phases to jump on on his back 4 times to kill him. Granted I never done Bismarck EX and I haven't gone back to tried him with an undersized party so this may not be an issue in those scenarios.

This sounds like a lot of Get Gud

Haly

But Bismark is a sky whale.

SKY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALE

studyguy

We should have fought on Bismark's giant back the entire time, maybe have him slamming into islands and shit as we dodge.

Idk, I always found the concept of riding giant ass bosses cool.

Zomba13

All this talk about DRK quests is making me want to get it to 70. I was going to be happy with PLD at 70 instead but now I need to get DRK there too.

erawsd

Fordola's plan for freedom never made sense. Forever being a second class citizen seemed like a shitty deal. One can argue they wouldn't do any better considering they were under the yoke of the empire, but I don't understand the the hatred at the end for losing to the WoL. One would have imagined if you're actually going for freedom, you'd split when the empire was clearly on the ropes, but w/e. It wasn't even clear if she ever regretted her choices, just a dull "these are the circumstances I understand the costs!!11" but when actually faced with what she had done she just kept getting more angry to the very end. Still expecting a redemption arc for her and Yayowhat'sherface

The point to point set pieces were cool but the story was a whole bunch of w/e for me once it hit Ala Migho. They literally could have ignored Ala Migho as a whole and I would have been more fulfilled with Othard adventures.

Yeah, while this has better quest structure and pacing, I don't think I liked the actual narrative as much as Heavensward.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Bismarck would have been more fun if they did it like Jhen Mohran.
Yes I thought about this as well and even fighting De Rol Le from Phantasy Star Online was way more fun and engaging.

This sounds like a lot of Get Gud

It doesn't matter how good I'm that won't stop the accidental deaths from other party members nor will it stop party wipes because we failed kill Bismarck before he knocks down all of the HP on the island. Those deaths don't happen because of my failure as an individual player they happen because the way the encounter is programmed sucks.

Every time I land in Bismarck through Trial Roulette you got 25% chance of me straight up leaving and take the 30 minute penalty or a 1% chance "accidently" killing myself with Repelling Shot. It really depends on how I feel at the time and this is the only instance in the game where I consider those two options.

LordKasual

Banned
Just curious what the problem is exactly?

I mean Bismarck doesn't rank high on my list of primals either, but it's more that its bland than poor. I at least dig the two snakes segment with the buffs. Keeps the party on their toes, at least by a small margin. Also its a nice rush getting his core exposed on the first pass. It does deserve more mechanics to shake things up certainly, but is it just how straightforward it is that is the problem?

Bismark wasn't bad, but he was indeed disappointing.

I was expecting some kind of interesting mechanics like Leviathan, but the fight was just really basic for how epic the situation sounded on paper.

We're fighting a flying whale in the clouds on a flying rock? SICK! Oh wait, it's just one, long, glorified DPS check....you don't even fight Bismark, you just fight a bunch of adds.

Yes I thought about this as well and even fighting De Rol Le from Phantasy Star Online was way more fun and engaging.

Didn't even think about this.

Yeah, De Rol Le, or Olga Flow, or even a mixture of them both would have been godlike.

The Bismark fight either felt lazy or rushed, especially compared to the other primals / bosses from Heavensward.

Holy moly. Been in DF queue for an hour waiting for the 3 Level 70 Dungeons. Zilch. No one even joined.

DPS life is real.

Also in a run on the final boss earlier I introduced myself as Maria the best lolDragoon in EU-West...and promptly - unintentionally - ran straight off the platform. Fml.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
We should have been flying on mounts throwing spears and shit while evading aoes and bullet hell shenanigans.

Haly

Oh christ I hated Spine. I didn't even do it while relevant, just overgeared solo but h a t e d it.

I can only imagine unleashing that on DF and the slaughter that would ensue given FFXIV's weird latency stuff. People struggled to hop off the back in time, let alone load balance so the platform doesn't flip unexpectedly.

Yes, it was a poor fight. I do think we really need a raid boss the size of a room though. Something like a Metroid boss where you have to climb up and down and all around.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Never overestimate the general awareness of the playerbase

The part that bothers me is that this seems to have begun bleeding into society. Just walking down the street, the growing number of people I see that don't know how to sidewalk is deeply troubling. =S

Top Bottom