• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

v1perz53

Man, I've been levelling my new rerolled character through the Main Story as BLM and in all my years playing MMOs I don't think I've ever had as much trouble trying to intuit what I should be doing for my rotation while levelling as I have with this class/job. Currently level 40, just got Freeze, Fire III and Blizzard III and man am I confused as to what I should be doing.

Confused as to when I should be using Fire III and Blizzard III to swap between UA/AF versus using Transpose, confused as to why I would ever want to use Blizzard II over Freeze, and confused as to optimal Transpose useage in general.

Man the one thing I'll say negatively about stormblood is that it has totally fucked up the levelling experience (and by extension the level sync experience) of so many jobs, they just feel truly awful and awkward to play at lower levels before you have your full suite of abilities. ESPECIALLY right when you unlock your job at 30 and go from 5 role slots to 2, you feel so stripped down.

Thorgal

Something I alway question while tanking is whether or not one should have at least one defensive CD on at all times or only when I am gonna get smashed.

Guess Who

Banned
Man, I've been levelling my new rerolled character through the Main Story as BLM and in all my years playing MMOs I don't think I've ever had as much trouble trying to intuit what I should be doing for my rotation while levelling as I have with this class/job. Currently level 40, just got Freeze, Fire III and Blizzard III and man am I confused as to what I should be doing.

Confused as to when I should be using Fire III and Blizzard III to swap between UA/AF versus using Transpose, confused as to why I would ever want to use Blizzard II over Freeze, and confused as to optimal Transpose useage in general.

Man the one thing I'll say negatively about stormblood is that it has totally fucked up the levelling experience (and by extension the level sync experience) of so many jobs, they just feel truly awful and awkward to play at lower levels before you have your full suite of abilities. ESPECIALLY right when you unlock your job at 30 and go from 5 role slots to 2, you feel so stripped down.

Been a while since I played BLM, but unless something really major changed in 4.0, you very rarely ever use Transpose once you have F3/B3. Once you're low on MP, B3 to go to umbral ice until you're full on MP, then go back to astral fire with F3. Only time you might use Transpose is if you blow all your MP on a Flare in AOE and can't cast a B3.

Essentially, the name of the game in BLM is staying in Astral Fire as much as you can and only using Umbral Ice to regen MP. This means Freeze and Blizzard II are rarely ever used, because you deal your real AOE damage with Fire II and Flare.

Item Box

Something I alway question while tanking is whether or not one should have at least one defensive CD on at all times or only when I am gonna get smashed.

I usually rotate through the weaker ones while saving the better ones for hard hits.

If you do ever run out of CDs, there's always reprisal (and self healing)

Save hallowed/holmgang/whatever edgelords have for when you truly are fucked

Always use one if there's one that's adequate up. Like if you do a single pull and it's an easy pack(need to know that from having played the dungeon before), it's ok not to use one especially if you don't have a meh one to use. But if you're pulling a pack that does good damage or multiple packs, always use a cooldown right at the start so the healer can get started. Defensive cooldowns are free, and you rarely need them for bosses in dungeons other than specific ones(and generally speaking all you need is to keep like your best strong cooldown, or your cheat death type cooldown). For raids it's different, cooldown usage depends on the fight, there's specific stuff you'll want to cooldown, but for dungeons you should pretty much have a cooldown on every pull, because there's no reason not to.

v1perz53

Been a while since I played BLM, but unless something really major changed in 4.0, you very rarely ever use Transpose once you have F3/B3. Once you're low on MP, B3 to go to umbral ice until you're full on MP, then go back to astral fire with F3. Only time you might use Transpose is if you blow all your MP on a Flare in AOE and can't cast a B3.

Essentially, the name of the game in BLM is staying in Astral Fire as much as you can and only using Umbral Ice to regen MP. This means Freeze and Blizzard II are rarely ever used, because you deal your real AOE damage with Fire II and Flare.

Yea, that makes sense to me, it just seemed so weird to suddenly be never really using Transpose, and was hard to tell if what I was doing was correct. The "stay in UF as much as possible" burn phase idea makes sense to me but the optimal way of doing that wasn't super clear just by reading abilities. I've been using Transpose as my "I ended the fight in AF, might as well hit this to regen mana for the next pull" ability, I guess that's what it becomes once you get FIII and BIII.

Still confused about why Blizzard II and Freeze both exist, especially in Stormblood where they finally consolidated stuff like that, but not as much an issue!

Squishy3

It's also better to transpose back if you have a Firestarter proc long enough to last your Umbral Ice cycle, as that Fire III will get the slight damage boost from being in Astral Fire instead of having the Umbral Ice debuff.

Razmos

I really want the flying cumulus mount (the cloud one) but it apparently isn't available yet in Europe? Despite me seeing people in a European world using it (a lot of people)

v1perz53

You can safely throw freeze of your hotbar since it is completely useless in pve.

Huh interesting. Does that mean I should also get rid of Blizzard II, since it seems to do less damage/time than freeze, or does the quicker cast of Blizz II make it a better option just to get an extra Umbral Ice stack faster for quicker regen?

All levelling questions, from what I'm reading you don't even use Ice spells in AoE once you get Flare, but I'm still a ways off from even having Flare at all.

duckroll

I really want the flying cumulus mount (the cloud one) but it apparently isn't available yet in Europe? Despite me seeing people in a European world using it (a lot of people)

It was part of an Amazon US special. So anyone who bought shit which was part of the offer at the time got the set. I accidentally got it while binging on PSN Codes for Persona 5 DLC. >_>

Guess Who

Banned
Huh interesting. Does that mean I should also get rid of Blizzard II, since it seems to do less damage/time than freeze, or does the quicker cast of Blizz II make it a better option just to get an extra Umbral Ice stack faster for quicker regen?

All levelling questions, from what I'm reading you don't even use Ice spells in AoE once you get Flare, but I'm still a ways off from even having Flare at all.

Even without Flare your AOE damage comes from Fire II. Blizzard II giving you an extra Umbral Ice stack doesn't matter because Blizzard III puts you right in at full stacks. You'd pretty much only use Blizzard II in the few seconds you have between Blizzard III and your MP being full again.

Gala

There is this promotion in Germany, where you have to get 24 codes from Dr Pepper cans, to get it.

kaze343

the only major change is the addition of polyglot and thunder 2 being aoe, so in between trash, transpose is going to get use. foul too strong to waste

Heartfyre

Oooh, that might have been it then :(

It definitely sucks for the rest of us elsewhere on the continent. I can't say the thought of travelling to Germany for the sole purpose of buying 24 cans of Dr Pepper didn't cross my mind, but that I was put into a position to even consider it is a failure on Square's part to expand the promotion appropriately.

You don't use Blizzard 2 either later on, although for leveling it can be useful. Neither is good.

Typical AoE rotation is Fire III(to get your 3 stacks of AF), Fire II spam until low on mana, Flare(then possibly more flares with convert flare or potion flare and such), Transpose, Thunder II(or IV once you have that), Fire III, Fire II spam, Flare etc. You can do an ice phase to get some mp back for a longer Fire II phase but iirc it's worse, although I'm not sure if it's the case with the new Umbral Hearts. Maybe add Blizzard IV in the ice phase and it'll extend the Fire II spam a fair bit, but you get less Flares so not sure.

For low level rotation, it's more like Fire II spam, Transpose, Thunder II, Blizzard II until full(generally only once), Fire II spam etc, I think.

Foxxsoxx

Just gotta say the MSQ is really, really good. Not sure if I like HW or this more.

HW felt more epic but this feels?... I'm not sure? More like an adventure. Then again I'm not done yet. Just finished Lakshmi. Really cool fight btw.

Also swimming really makes the world feel more alive. Really weird how 2.0 didn't launch with it.

LProtag

Gonna get back into the game after I get home from vacation. I took DRG almost up to 50 but kinda want to try one of the new jobs. Which would feel more different than Dragoon if I want to try something g new? Samurai or Red Mage?

kromeo

Gonna get back into the game after I get home from vacation. I took DRG almost up to 50 but kinda want to try one of the new jobs. Which would feel more different than Dragoon if I want to try something g new? Samurai or Red Mage?

Well red mage is a ranged caster for the most part so that

Also swimming really makes the world feel more alive. Really weird how 2.0 didn't launch with it.

latest

am I memeing it right?

Danj

I notice there are plenty of guides that tell you what crafting levequests give you the most XP or are the most efficient in terms of mats used or number of times needed to complete, but is there a guide or list anywhere of the fastest levequests?

To give an example, I picked up Culinarian this morning, and I've already gotten it up to level 21 because I found an awesome levequest in Swiftperch. The levemete gives the quest and then the target is just across the road from him, and the recipe needed is just grilled dodo which is super easy and doesn't need much in the way of ingredients. So although it only gives 4460xp per turn-in it feels like it's way faster than some of the more complicated ones that require lots of travel.

Are there any other crafting levequests where the quest target is nearby to the levemete?

Blitzhex

Anyone know how to reset act overlay position?
I'm using the kagerou overlay and coming back to my 1440p monitor after playing the game on my 4k tv and the overlay is lost somewhere in 4k land, out of bounds.
Found it: appdata/roaming/act and reset rainbowmage's xml position values.

dramatis

I notice there are plenty of guides that tell you what crafting levequests give you the most XP or are the most efficient in terms of mats used or number of times needed to complete, but is there a guide or list anywhere of the fastest levequests?

To give an example, I picked up Culinarian this morning, and I've already gotten it up to level 21 because I found an awesome levequest in Swiftperch. The levemete gives the quest and then the target is just across the road from him, and the recipe needed is just grilled dodo which is super easy and doesn't need much in the way of ingredients. So although it only gives 4460xp per turn-in it feels like it's way faster than some of the more complicated ones that require lots of travel.

Are there any other crafting levequests where the quest target is nearby to the levemete?
The quests that give the most exp are the delivery ones from the city. It would probably be more exp efficient to travel than to prefer doing leves that let you walk across the street to hand in.

Bluenoser

I would try youtube and search for Mithrie or xAshex10x

These guys have both made tons of crafting guides, including powerlevel ones.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Finally got my axe from Susano and enough totems to buy PLD weapon when I get that to 70. Not keen to farm Lawkshmi for accessories since 270 is working fine and I hate vril. Are pugs allergic to tanking Susano in the middle? I was under the impression that it made positioning easier there, but even if I tank it there, the other tank drags it to the top in second phase. =S

Welp just 90k'd out but found out it's my work WiFi and not the servers. Wifi's gone down. :( Was running Expert Duty Roulette with a FCmate/tank to help ease my dps woes... Just using my phone as a hotspot on 4G now, which I definitely don't trust to carry FFXIV load lol... Bah.

Hagi

How the hell do the service accounts work? I installed the game and it asked me if I wanted to continue with my old 1.1 service account or create a new one with a fresh slate so I went with the latter and now after installing the 20gb update I can't play the game because it's not tied to the correct service account? I'm confused as hell right now.

ebil

My last Susano ex farm party of the night ended with him at 0.1% and somehow we all died. SAM lb 3'd him and then idk what happened... people got stuck in aoes or something. I think I'm done for the night, lol. 5 more clears and I will have 20 Susano ex clears... really just want the RDM weapon so I dont have to farm this as RDM later on. I did manage good rolls and got the bard sus weapon and WAR. A dog also dropped but I lost it by a roll of 2. Oh well xD
I'm sorry to say you guys probably hit enrage.

Blitzhex

How does buying houses work? Does a guy like me with only 6 mill have a chance once kugane houses open or will they be instabought?

Not on a controller.

Seriously, anybody has any clue who designed the targetting system in PV and why it priorities the farthest possible enemy every time, ignoring people close by even if angle camera os they are only ones on screen?

I feel like they did something to the targeting in the latest update cuz it does that in pve now and I never had problems with it.

Baleoce

How does buying houses work? Does a guy like me with only 6 mill have a chance once kugane houses open or will they be instabought?

You have as good a chance as anybody. Just make sure you're patched and ready to enter housing when server goes up, then I guess after that it's about knowing which plot you can afford and want. Hopefully you zone into an instance that not many others did, and beat them to the plot. It is mostly luck though. God I hate this housing system lol.

IMBored

They should make a lottery system honestly. Buy tickets for house distribution. Would mess up people that want houses near each other tough.
Thankfully not many will try to buy the highest price houses when gaf fc moves to weeb town.

Top Bottom