• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

studyguy

Sure you can learn the bulk of any class running POTD, you'd still be best served running some dungeons however at some points. There are finer points you'd never learn in a even dungeon either however. Shirk usage for instance as a tank or swap mechanic practice. You could nail down most agro mechanics in POTD or dungeons though. Same could be said for some healer mechanics.

Don't stress too much about it. Learning a class isn't nearly as hard as people make it out to be online. Unless you're doing old endgame raids or current EX primals, the difficulty spike isn't crazy.

Is POTD a safe way to learn new classes? I'm kinda wanting to play a tank/WHM just to get shorter queue times for duties/MSQ, but I've only played DPS classes before.

Also, how useful are the Allagan Tombstones? I'm doing the 2.x content, is it worth doing the dailies or is all the gear I buy going to be immediately replaced once I hit Heavensward?

No, PotD is not a good way to learn a Tank or Healer roles. Is a good way to get a feel of the class/job, rather to wait 60 "real" levels to see how it really is.

If you want to tank, better to do the quest tutorial and do real dungeons.

Qvoth

reached level 68 and a half, finished liberating doma and logged off in kugane
decent progress after almost 2 weeks without playing
wtzgU.gif

aiming to reach 70 by tomorrow, and start practicing ex primals on sunday

studyguy

The game really does need some kind of step by step tutorials for classes PER SKILL. Or fuck even like a learner video series. Still wild that we're 2 expacs in and the most we have is a DPS dummy

R0ckman

Love the changes to Ninja, I'm tearing things up. Sometimes I kill things so fast the server can't keep up, so the monster will just drop dead when its still showing 10k-20k health left.

WetWaffle

I thought the free trial included Stormblood since I had to do an 11 gb dowbload after downloading the game but apparently you gotta actually buy it. On steam with the base game and stormblood, the game's about 60 but then you gotta pay 13-15 dollars a month. Do you guys actually see it as worth it? Not hating, just asking

adversarial

I thought the free trial included Stormblood since I had to do an 11 gb dowbload after downloading the game but apparently you gotta actually buy it. On steam with the base game and stormblood, the game's about 60 but then you gotta pay 13-15 dollars a month. Do you guys actually see it as worth it? Not hating, just asking

You're posting in a Stormblood thread with 178 pages. Yes, we think it's worth it.

iammeiam

The game really does need some kind of step by step tutorials for classes PER SKILL. Or fuck even like a learner video series. Still wild that we're 2 expacs in and the most we have is a DPS dummy

it's crazy to me that there's an entire dungeon boss around "No, seriously, lrn2dodging" this go round, and job quests are still mostly useless for job learning.

I admittedly didn't pay much attention to the bard quests, but somehow
fighting a racist lancer with access to earthshakers and the t9 golem staggered ground AOE thing on Rafflesia's platform
prepared me for a new strong attack skill? Somehow?

I'm just going to pretend they meant to leverage them to teach people things until nobody could figure out how to explain MCH

R0ckman

Glad I'm not the only one who was thinking this. Thought I was actually asking for something odd since I've rarely seen it brought up.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
it's crazy to me that there's an entire dungeon boss around "No, seriously, lrn2dodging" this go round, and job quests are still mostly useless for job learning.

I admittedly didn't pay much attention to the bard quests, but somehow
fighting a racist lancer with access to earthshakers and the t9 golem staggered ground AOE thing on Rafflesia's platform
prepared me for a new strong attack skill? Somehow?

I'm just going to pretend they meant to leverage them to teach people things until nobody could figure out how to explain MCH

Wait
did the racist lancer then accidentally jump off a cliff? This is important.

iammeiam

Wait
did the racist lancer then accidentally jump off a cliff? This is important.

I said lancer; he needs to go have his own job quests to master that. I think he
learned Ala Mhigans are people too, or something.

I really should go back and find out the hell was going on there.

Ponn

Banned
Quick question, if I wanted to give this a try on PS4 is that starter pack that's currently 50% off a good jumping in point? I played a shitload of Everquest back in the day but then dropped MMOs like a hot potato, never got into WoW or FF 11 online. Keep hearing good things about this and just want some good FF after FFXV.

Follow up, if I were to try this what is a good starting out class? I'm flexible, I maimed a necromancer in EQ but also had a cleric and Shadow Knight alts so I'm familiar with certain techniques but will be new to this game.

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
So, probably a dumb question: what's POTD?

Also, I came back to the game after a break of several years and had to get through most AAR patch content and all of Heavensward, but finally made it to Stormblood last night. Woooo!

Duty Roulette Expert's queue times should be illegal. Waited over an hour as Dragoon without getting below "More than #50".... :(

I'd do the 50/60 Dungeons but too terrified of Sohm Al (Hard) and can't remember most of the ARR dungeons...and also getting half my skills locked would suck.

So, probably a dumb question: what's POTD?

Also, I came back to the game after a break of several years and had to get through most AAR patch content and all of Heavensward, but finally made it to Stormblood last night. Woooo!
Palace of the Dead, the first Deep Dungeon in the game which is basically a roguelike mode.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I said lancer; he needs to go have his own job quests to master that. I think he
learned Ala Mhigans are people too, or something.

I really should go back and find out the hell was going on there.

Yeah but
the lancer quests involve a racist elf man (who was also a victim of racism there's a lot of racism going around with giraffes) just accidentally jumping off a cliff in a poorly choreographed cutscene and I was hopeful he'd made his triumphant return

Cmagus

Love the changes to Ninja, I'm tearing things up. Sometimes I kill things so fast the server can't keep up, so the monster will just drop dead when its still showing 10k-20k health left.

100% agree Ninja is great now, better AOE and more flexibility and the ninki attacks are pretty great. While not terribly complex it sure beats the hell out of watching timers the old way. I don't think I've played a job in an mmo I like as much as Ninja now. Still getting some mudra lag here and there. I just need the Susano weapon to be fully geared and I'm about 50% melded with VI materia.

Hopefully they can remove these instances soon it really makes hunts a chore. Funny thing is when you zone at least on Sargatanas there is always less than 70 people between all the instances so it's really not needed.

Alrus

Duty Roulette Expert's queue times should be illegal. Waited over an hour as Dragoon without getting below "More than #50".... :(

I'd do the 50/60 Dungeons but too terrified of Sohm Al (Hard) and can't remember most of the ARR dungeons...and also getting half my skills locked would suck.

Why is Sohm Al Hard terrifying you? Even with syncing most of the dungeons are super easy and don't require knowledge of specific mechanics.

Quick question, if I wanted to give this a try on PS4 is that starter pack that's currently 50% off a good jumping in point? I played a shitload of Everquest back in the day but then dropped MMOs like a hot potato, never got into WoW or FF 11 online. Keep hearing good things about this and just want some good FF after FFXV.

Follow up, if I were to try this what is a good starting out class? I'm flexible, I maimed a necromancer in EQ but also had a cleric and Shadow Knight alts so I'm familiar with certain techniques but will be new to this game.

The best start would be the free demo, which lets you level most of the classes in the game up to 35 if you so wish and has no time limit so will provide a frankly huge amount of content. Then you'll need the base game at minimum (which I guess is the thing currently 50% off) that'll get you to the end of the original story line and patches and up to level 50 with a month's worth of playtime included. Stormblood itself includes both of thee expansions, meaning their (lengthy) campaigns, access to all the newer classes and will boost your level cap to 70.

Ffxiv is a great deal in terms of investing money , but you also need to invest your time into it. So much time spent bored out of my mind, so I can have fun with the game a few times a week in the future.

4.0 levelling for ast is shit, when doing levelling roulette now I'm just using a few macros and /follow to play the game for me. Sure in the past I've afked and let my fairy heal, but Its never felt so pointless to actually play the game.

Ponn

Banned
The best start would be the free demo, which lets you level most of the classes in the game up to 35 if you so wish and has no time limit so will provide a frankly huge amount of content. Then you'll need the base game at minimum (which I guess is the thing currently 50% off) that'll get you to the end of the original story line and patches and up to level 50 with a month's worth of playtime included. Stormblood itself includes both of thee expansions, meaning their (lengthy) campaigns, access to all the newer classes and will boost your level cap to 70.

Ok thanks, will start there then. Will probably go with a White Mage.

scy

My PLD job quests this time around had absolutely nothing to do with being a PLD lol.

At the same time, it was pretty satisfying to finally see a certain someone in action.

On the other hand, that and the other job quests I've done so far really begs the question of why the fuck are all the NPCs so ridiculous looking in skills compared to us (and why can everyone solo LB3, the fuck guys). Their biggest problem is they seem to be on a 15 second GCD vs all our shit is instant.

Why is Sohm Al Hard terrifying you? Even with syncing most of the dungeons are super easy and don't require knowledge of specific mechanics.

I just found it to be the most boring thing in HW...I'll get round to it because the Verity is too good to pass up, it's just I've found the Dungeon encounters in Stormblood to be much more enjoyable than I was expecting. It could be because Tanks generally don't make crazy stupid huge pulls anymore (in my experience) so it feels a little less...grindy? Not sure.

studyguy

At the same time, it was pretty satisfying to finally see a certain someone in action.

On the other hand, that and the other job quests I've done so far really begs the question of why the fuck are all the NPCs so ridiculous looking in skills compared to us (and why can everyone solo LB3, the fuck guys). Their biggest problem is they seem to be on a 15 second GCD vs all our shit is instant.

Warrior of Light is the strongest arou-Random Quest NPC literally has like 5 one shot kill mechanics

Oh... ok.

iammeiam

Yeah but
the lancer quests involve a racist elf man (who was also a victim of racism there's a lot of racism going around with giraffes) just accidentally jumping off a cliff in a poorly choreographed cutscene and I was hopeful he'd made his triumphant return

that sounded super likely but I went and found the name;
the particular giraffe racist here is named Nourval which doesn't seem like a recurring guy but nothing to say it couldn't be the same dude with amnesia under a false identity.

scy

Warrior of Light is the strongest arou-Random Quest NPC literally has like 5 one shot kill mechanics

Oh... ok.

I'm mostly salty as hell the new Warrior quest NPC can turn their inner beast into throwing around fireballs and cause earthquakes.

I got Shake it Off.

Gears

The funny thing about asking if it is worth it is that most people I see discussing MMOs seem to hate them but still play everything. The hate comes from loooove

And addiction

Amani

Was so tempted to buy that insant lvl 60 item from MogStation, but I ended up getting to 56 just doing MS HW stuff. Oh well, I'll have my RDM coat and hat soon enough.

So dumb question, but any advice on healing as a RDM in dungeons? I figure it's pretty much only in emergencies like those big unavoidable AOEs, and whenever I get VerRaise, to revive as needed.

studyguy

I'm mostly salty as hell the new Warrior quest NPC can turn their inner beast into throwing around fireballs and cause earthquakes.

I got Shake it Off.

PLD quest has a dude literally throwing tornadoes at you.

Yeaaaah so, The Blackest Night pulls all of DRK together.

Stoneskin on a 15s cooldown L O L.

My favorite skill to hit too late (LOL ANIMATION) or fuck up due to boss delaying actions.
feelsbadman, almost as bad as dying while trying to use Living Dead.

iammeiam

TBN is amazing when you have a PLD that refuses to CD tankbusters and a SCH that won't adlo reliably. TBN: closing the tank skill gap by letting you force extra mitigation on others against their will.

studyguy

TBN is amazing when you have a PLD that refuses to CD tankbusters and a SCH that won't adlo reliably. TBN: closing the tank skill gap by letting you force extra mitigation on others against their will.

At this point both DRK and PLD have a forced "help this other dumbass tank mitigate" skill with TBN and Intervention + Reprisal for both.

WAR is the odd man out with just Reprisal.

Danj

Steam is not necessarily the cheapest way to buy the game, and the monthly sub isn't the cheapest way to fund it either - shop around and also check out Game Time Cards.

studyguy

The second one is using the new STR potions (infusions) fyi, as they last 30s now.
Going with the second one is guaranteed BIG DIK DEEPS

scy

In general, I think the preference on rotation is the unbuffed Goring -> Magic phase -> Physical phase setup? Caster side spikes harder so getting that window in during raid buffs is more important than the FoF side of it, even if it means not getting FoF on Requiescat.

...using DABS (loled at that acronym as I was typing it)...

RIP DRK, it was fun while it lasted

from edgelord to memelord

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Someone who's nerdier than will have to explain to me why Magic burst outside of FoF window.

k1t4j

Is Hallowed ground an ignore mechanics button?

yes, yes it is. :D

After some advice from some gaffers I now use it every time its up, nothings like pulling half the dungeon popping it and laugh for 10 seconds.

2 to 3 commendations garanteed lololol

scy

Someone who's nerdier than will have to explain to me why Magic burst outside of FoF window.

FoF is physical only so it only works on the Requiescat part of the caster rotation.

Is Hallowed ground an ignore mechanics button?

yes, yes it is. :D

When I did PLD 60-70, I basically just mapped out the first pull with Hallowed; cooldowns up front to settle threat, FoF+Sword Oath+Hallowed and spin2win until everything was dead. This way, you can usually Hallowed around the second boss trash pulls and maybe once more at the end! I also mashed where I put cross-class Bloodbath because I'm a sucker for making myself sad.

Top Bottom