• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Pancho

Qurupancho
Last night I was helping an FC member clear Susano normal. There was this one guy that got targetted with the group up damage soak icon...and the guy panicked and started running away from the group while everyone tried to chase him down. He obviously died and tooka black mage with him.
I can't believe that we are in the 2nd expansion and people still dont recognize the symbols.
This is why we can't have nice things

Armaros

Last night I was helping an FC member clear Susano normal. There was this one guy that got targetted with the group up damage soak icon...and the guy panicked and started running away from the group while everyone tried to chase him down. He obviously died and tooka black mage with him.
I can't believe that we are in the 2nd expansion and people still dont recognize the symbols.

Don't forget jump potions are a thing.

Luckily I haven't has issues with DF groups being completrly clueless, just new folks not used to a new fight.

If 24 mans taught me anything is that if someone runs away with the stack marker just let them die alone

Seijuro

Duty Roulette Expert's queue times should be illegal. Waited over an hour as Dragoon without getting below "More than #50".... :(

I'd do the 50/60 Dungeons but too terrified of Sohm Al (Hard) and can't remember most of the ARR dungeons...and also getting half my skills locked would suck.

No need for that. I have played the level 50 dungeons all exactly once last year and forgot each and every single one of them. Leveling my DRK all of last week I played many of them again as if they were new (and me tanking for the first time in them too). Everyone is either so overgeared or the dungeons are nerfed so hard it all comes down to "wing it and burn boss down fast lol" and it surprisingly works very well, even in the dungeons leading up to Stormblood. Most of the mechanis for all the bosses in the 50/60 roulette dungeons are pretty self explenatory, if even needed.

Armaros

No need for that. I have played the level 50 dungeons all exactly once last year and forgot each and every single one of them. Leveling my DRK all of last week I played many of them again as if they were new (and me tanking for the first time in them too). Everyone is either so overgeared or the dungeons are nerfed so hard it all comes down to "burn boss down fast lol" and it surprisingly works very well, even in the dungeons leading up to Stormblood. Most of the mechanis are pretty self explenatory, if even needed.

Generally in old dungeons like that, the gimmick fights end up being the troublesome ones where people refuse to do the mechanic and just try to brute forcr when it isn't possible. Cause everyone has forgotten how it works

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Which 270 acc btw, for tanks, if I want to make my healers cry. Like, what stats?

studyguy

In general, I think the preference on rotation is the unbuffed Goring -> Magic phase -> Physical phase setup? Caster side spikes harder so getting that window in during raid buffs is more important than the FoF side of it, even if it means not getting FoF on Requiescat.

That's what the new infusion pot is for! First Goring AND second one get buffed by it and FoF for openers! Plus Holy Spirit scales with STR for whatever reason! PLD's, we're so dumb we brute force our magic.

iammeiam

One of the later dungeon bosses in SB does a thing where he tosses out a stack marker at around the same time portions of the floor become no-touching zones.

At some point I figured out that you could, at full HP, as a DPS just eat the thing solo, then just Second Wind back to a little HP and get healed and up at some point.

This led to some wacky sitcom adventures of healers blowing themselves up to get to me and me running the fuck away trying to not kill them.

Also got a healer to try to Rescue me across the danger zones once. Instead I just kind of got punted around the arena and died.

I try to remember to warn people if I'm going to intentionally eat a solo stack now.

scy

Don't forget jump potions are a thing.

The first SB dungeon has it too. It may be the only mechanic of the fight too.

I'd side with it's a really obvious tell of "please stack here" since it's a circle with arrows pointing to the unfortunate schmuck inside of it but eh, surprises are surprises still so I get it. If nothing else, I think it's a case of really easy to understand the tell after you know to look for it due to the imagery involved.

That's what the new infusion pot is for! First Goring AND second one get buffed by it and FoF for openers! Plus Holy Spirit scales with STR for whatever reason!

Yup! Was just pointing out to use that rotation in general even without the infusion compared to the first JOHN FUCKING MADDEN one of Physical -> Magical.

studyguy

Tanks are so fucking dumb this time around, taking VIT scaling off is legit dumb jfc.
If they put STR on our ACC then fine, but locking them out is THE DUMBEST

Squishy3

One of the later dungeon bosses in SB does a thing where he tosses out a stack marker at around the same time portions of the floor become no-touching zones.

At some point I figured out that you could, at full HP, as a DPS just eat the thing solo, then just Second Wind back to a little HP and get healed and up at some point.

This led to some wacky sitcom adventures of healers blowing themselves up to get to me and me running the fuck away trying to not kill them.

Also got a healer to try to Rescue me across the danger zones once. Instead I just kind of got punted around the arena and died.

I try to remember to warn people if I'm going to intentionally eat a solo stack now.
Graehl has a good clip of him eating a stack in Lakshmi EX by himself with HG and a healer coming to stand with him gets rescued by the other healer so they don't die. :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5y3u6uszw8&ab_channel=GraehlGaming

scy

Tanks are so fucking dumb this time around, taking VIT scaling off is legit dumb jfc.
If they put STR on our ACC then fine, but locking them out is THE DUMBEST

It is an absurdly stupid situation. It was already a case of we'll scale the worst with right side but, y'know, I'll deal with it. It's fine. VIT is fractionally higher per slot than main stats so it's tolerable, sort of. But now it's day 1 of expansion and day end of expansion, we're looking at the same VI materia stat weighting for the right side main stat value. Or, y'know, the i270 Slaying situation.

Yes but which substats? Crit > DH > DET >> SS?

SS for PLDs because of Sword Oath??

native Direct Hit if you can, otherwise Crit. Realistically, the stat values are so low to be a complete wash.

SS is terrible since it doesn't increase rate of auto attacks / Sword Oath procs, merely the AA damage. I don't think it works on the Sword Oath swing itself at all either so it's basically still a bad stat for PLD.

Thorgal

man Stonecutter dungeon last boss is the bane of my existence .

For some reason i keep mixing up the eye color mechanic every time i get that dungeon .

No need for that. I have played the level 50 dungeons all exactly once last year and forgot each and every single one of them. Leveling my DRK all of last week I played many of them again as if they were new (and me tanking for the first time in them too). Everyone is either so overgeared or the dungeons are nerfed so hard it all comes down to "wing it and burn boss down fast lol" and it surprisingly works very well, even in the dungeons leading up to Stormblood. Most of the mechanis for all the bosses in the 50/60 roulette dungeons are pretty self explenatory, if even needed.

True. I think I don't help myself watching MrHappy or Mizztek (?) videos on some dungeons because mechanics get repeated a lot and it's easy to feel overwhelmed watching those when essentially things become familiar at a certain point. I'm dreading whatever comes after Verity - in terms of gear cost - because Verity feels easily manageable for the cost/time it takes :p

STR accessories are hilarious, I put my old MNK gear on my DRK and the damage on everything I do increased by 50%
native Direct Hit if you can, otherwise Crit. Realistically, the stat values are so low to be a complete wash.

SS is terrible since it doesn't increase rate of auto attacks / Sword Oath procs, merely the AA damage. I don't think it works on the Sword Oath swing itself at all either so it's basically still a bad stat for PLD.
Wait, SKS only increases the damage of autos?

Danj

I'm guessing this is an icon that you don't see much until level 50/60/70/whatever? can someone post what the icon looks like and what it actually means?

I'm guessing this is an icon that you don't see much until level 50/60/70/whatever? can someone post what the icon looks like and what it actually means?

A player will have a target over their head that looks like 4 arrow pointing to them. It basically means everyone should stack on them to mitigate damage.

It's a big-ass yellow circle with giant moving yellow arrows pointing inwards on top of the marked player. It means the marked player is about to get hit hard and people should stack within it to split the damage between everyone, not enough people inside means everyone hit will likely die.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
How is Dragoon right now in terms of DPS? They were pretty good from what I remember in Heavensward. I heard they're really weak right now in relation to other DPS classes.

How is Dragoon right now in terms of DPS? They were pretty good from what I remember in Heavensward. I heard they're really weak right now in relation to other DPS classes.
Lowest among the melee DPS because their new mechanic is not only hard to achieve, but also is easy to lose any progress you made torwards getting it on top of it not aligning with party CDs.

Haly

Lowest among the melee DPS because their new mechanic is not only hard to achieve, but also is easy to lose any progress you made torwards getting it on top of it not aligning with party CDs.

Wait didn't they change DRG to make their buff nonsense easier to maintain? Did they just add a new buff on top of it that risks falling off?

scy

STR accessories are hilarious, I put my old MNK gear on my DRK and the damage on everything I do increased by 50%

Wait, SKS only increases the damage of autos?

Yup; it increases the damage per auto attack, not the rate of them. Because 'speed.'

Level 60 / Heavensward Final Trial spoiler I guess? Imagine all five of the arrows are all animated to point towards the center too.
EtsOz3V.png

Arguably one of the most common AoE indicators now so you'll get real used to seeing it at some point.

Armaros

Yup; it increases the damage per auto attack, not the rate of them. Because 'speed.'

Level 60 / Heavensward Final Trial spoiler I guess? Imagine all five of the arrows are all animated to point towards the center too.
EtsOz3V.png

Arguably one of the most common AoE indicators now so you'll get real used to seeing it at some point.

SE has sort of standarized their mechanic looks so people know what to expect if they pay attention. Coil towers make a reappearsnce in many places.

The single arrow above someomes head means they are dropping an aoe right on top of them:

The pulsing radial circles on the ground that show proximity based damage.

Etc.

MogCakes

Our newest addition is a middle-burst worth 960 potency (if you don't fuck up) that happens over a minute into a given encounter (if the boss doesn't fuck you over). Our piercing debuff has been halved, which has effectively nullified the potency increases to our other skills. Also our best DoT Phlebotomize was taken away because no reason.

Also now that I have it, I can safely say DRG AF3 looks like somebody vomited onto my face and called it a helmet.

Wait didn't they change DRG to make their buff nonsense easier to maintain? Did they just add a new buff on top of it that risks falling off?
Yes

Haly

I understand not knowning immediately what the red marker does because it means arbitrary things based on encounter but "stack" and "spread" clearly indicate what you should be doing!

This puzzled me in A10S as well because the goblin boss' "attack patterns" have very obvious animations indicating what you should be doing.

lul
jloHMwm.jpg

Neol

On the lower middle and below of the spectrum sadly.

Mostly due to how hard you have to work for your new burst combo and if you drop it then you lose out on a considerable amount of damage. Also regardless of how hard you work for it it still pales in comparison to that of RDM and SAM.

Class is still fun imo though. Just needs a few changes here and there to make it up to par.

Cleared Susano for the story yesterday. I'm a Dark Knight and saw I had more health than the other tank so I thought I'd just be a badass and MT the fight.

I got killed in, like, ten seconds and the other guy took over while I got rezzed.

So that was embarrassing. I have no idea what it was that caused me to die so fast.

studyguy

Cleared Susano for the story yesterday. I'm a Dark Knight and saw I had more health than the other tank so I thought I'd just be a badass and MT the fight.

I got killed in, like, ten seconds and the other guy took over while I got rezzed.

So that was embarrassing. I have no idea what it was that caused me to die so fast.

That first Susano untelegraphed hit brah.
It gets everyone in EX

It's basically a tankbuster seconds into the fight without a heads up.

Haly

Hissatsu: Shinten and Kenki Master II make such a massive difference to the SAM playstyle, I really can't understand why Square locks this stuff super away until 60-70 when instead you can expose them to this at 50.

RDM was one of the few cases where the class seems fun immediately.
It gets everyone in EX

Okay, this explains a lot honestly.

R0ckman

He has an untelegraphed tank buster he uses after a certain amount of time.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
What're the top 3 DPS right now if DRG is on the middle to lower end? I assume the new flavor of the expansion classes?

MogCakes

Hmm... :thinking:

Getting some conflicted messaging here.
I go by utility/damage buffs in addition to DPS. SAM is the undisputed king of personal DPS, NIN has trick attack to go along with their already high DPS for a net total higher raid DPS than the other jobs, and RDM can do stupid damage for a supposed jack of all trades that is both melee and caster, and being able to raise, whose rotation is flexible enough to engage targets at any range and through mechanics like BRD and MCH.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
It gets everyone in EX

I pop CDs pretty quick in that fight because I know the thing is going to hit right as I'm switching to Deliverance after establishing threat. =S

iammeiam

We have zero idea what encounters will be like which makes spitballing now based on Lakshmi/Susano/dummy parses. There will almost certainly be some kind of balance work done within the next month or so, and even the worst DPS right now will probably be able to do anything, so it's ill-advised to prioritize the current half-baked meta for anything aside from world prog.

Certain things will remain true--SAM will be personal damage king, BRD will love anyone with crit buffs, etc--but it's super early yet and Gordias flipped a lot of expectations.

Hissatsu: Shinten and Kenki Master II make such a massive difference to the SAM playstyle, I really can't understand why Square locks this stuff super away until 60-70 when instead you can expose them to this at 50.

RDM was one of the few cases where the class seems fun immediately.

The leveling progression is absolutely fucked for a good number of jobs.

Red Mage is one of the few jobs that doesn't feel like crap to play at 50 synced.

Top Bottom