• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Shahed

Then give role-specific gear. I don't get it!
Role specific you had a one in 3 chance usually. Tank, DoW or DoM, so there's a pretty good chance you'd get something anyway unlike higher levels when it's all over the place. They also might not feel it's worth the effort then either since SAM and RDM start at 50 and the majority of players will be 50 or higher. Few players will be below that and they'll level really fast, especially with the more recent buffs to EXP.

Having said that I'd like it as well. Also for Lv 50, 60 and 70 dungeons if only for glamour

MogCakes

I just hope DRG rotation isn't completely alien from before. The loss of a lot of the GCDs and oGCDs means my muscle memory will have some trouble adapting.

erawsd

So looking through Monk's datamined tooltips, one interesting thing I noticed is that the tooltip for Greased Lightning has changed.

It use to say: "Increases damage dealt by 10% and attack speed by 5%."

Now it says "Increases damage dealt by 10% and reduces weaponskill cast time and recast time, spell cast time and recast time, and auto-attack delay by 5%"

Has it always done this and the prior tooltip wasnt accurate? Or is it an mechanical change where, potentially, all of our oGCDs could have their CDs reduced by Greased Lightning as well?

As for the tanks, as a tank main I always found the actual general rotation for all three boring compared to DPS, so in terms of playstyle I'm pretty happy. All 3 of them were constantly repeating the same move (Eye, Royal Authority and Delirium) and doing other things when available, this changes a lot

Yeah, tanking can be kinda boring. And yet I ended up capping all three tanks jobs first for some reason (the queue times). As someone who has played 90% as a WAR, I do find going back to PLD a little more interesting cause the job does have some more utility skills that I can use like Clemency, Divine Veil, Hallowed Ground, Tempered Will, Cover. Though I use Cover more just because I can and it makes me feel like I'm doing something unique. Using a Hallowed Ground during a tank buster feels pretty good. Using clemency to heal someone feels pretty good. Using Divine Veil during Nidhogg's Akh Morn feels pretty good. They're no fell cleave, but I like the feeling of "I'M HELPING."

MogCakes

Yeah, tanking can be kinda boring. And yet I ended up capping all three tanks jobs first for some reason (the queue times). As someone who has played 90% as a WAR, I do find going back to PLD a little more interesting cause the job does have some more utility skills that I can use like Clemency, Divine Veil, Hallowed Ground, Cover. Though I use Cover more just because I can and it makes me feel like I'm doing something unique.
I like that PLD offers support utility. Maybe this time their support will be really useful.

Vashetti

Banned
WTF, the PS4 Pro 4K mode is only available when connected to a 4K TV.

Why does this company keep denying 1080p users access to downsampling?!

dramatis

Prelim patch notes general guide.
TuImyvD.jpg
There's a bunch of other things I didn't include. This is mostly a list to consult for your job and some slight other random stuff.

So looking through Monk's datamined tooltips, one interesting thing I noticed is that the tooltip for Greased Lightning has changed.

It use to say: "Increases damage dealt by 10% and attack speed by 5%."

Now it says "Increases damage dealt by 10% and reduces weaponskill cast time and recast time, spell cast time and recast time, and auto-attack delay by 5%"

Has it always done this and the prior tooltip wasnt accurate? Or is it an mechanical change where, potentially, all of our oGCDs could have their CDs reduced by Greased Lightning as well?

It decreased auto attack delay, and your GCD, as well.

Monk has no cast times, because Monk has no spells, so that didn't much matter -- although pugilist with something like cure might now be affected. Don't know why you'd want that though.

R0ckman

When should I expect to be able to hop on? May leave work early anyway as my wife keeps calling me and going crazy from the kids.

Shahed

Yeah, tanking can be kinda boring. And yet I ended up capping all three tanks jobs first for some reason (the queue times). As someone who has played 90% as a WAR, I do find going back to PLD a little more interesting cause the job does have some more utility skills that I can use like Clemency, Divine Veil, Hallowed Ground, Tempered Will, Cover. Though I use Cover more just because I can and it makes me feel like I'm doing something unique. Using a Hallowed Ground during a tank buster feels pretty good. Using clemency to heal someone feels pretty good. Using Divine Veil during Nidhogg's Akh Morn feels pretty good. They're no fell cleave, but I like the feeling of "I'M HELPING."

I like that PLD offers support utility. Maybe this time their support will be really useful.
I always preferred playing DPS. I started as a DRG in ARR and used MNK as my DPS class in HW. But the tank queue times and demand was too good to pass up. I also enjoyed the greater sense of responsibility and impact in duties.

I was mainly a WAR before. I don't really care about meta so much, but I'm not a fan of increased emphasis on Fell Cleave and I've always liked PLD's support abilities.

Monk has no cast times, because Monk has no spells, so that didn't much matter -- although pugilist with something like cure might now be affected. Don't know why you'd want that though.

You can't get cure anymore regardless?

I did a summary of the changes I found on reddit, gonna paste it here for people who care about monk. In general, it's pretty small stuff and not much has changed from the preview build it seems. Also datamining info is missing traits, which might be pretty important since a bunch of the older traits are gone.

Can't seem to figure out how to spoiler a list, so SPOILERS AHEAD DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT CLASS SPOILERS. Athough it's all already revealed info, just numbers differences.

• Shoulder Tackle becomes Fire/Wind/Earth tackle based on current stance, cooldown is 30secs, base range 15y, stuns for 2secs
  • Earth Tackle range reduced to 10y, 100potency, knockback 10y
  • Fire Tackle, 130potency
  • Wind Tackle, 65potency, unlocks Riddle of Wind
  • Riddles of Fire/Wind/Earth, changes to the stance when activated, turns off if you change out of the stance
  • Riddle of Fire, Increases damage by 30%, increases recast by 15%(pvp version seems to increase recast by 30%, however it could be a nerfed version, unclear), duration 20secs(other version has 10secs duration), cooldown 90secs
  • Riddle of Earth, Duration 30secs, Cooldown 60secs, Resets Greased Lightning duration to its maximum on use, Grants Earth Reply for 30secs when hit, Earth Reply reduces damage by 10% (PvP version seems to proce when you lose over 50% of health when active and grants 10% damage and 10%dmg reduction for 10secs)
  • Riddle of Wind, Same as Wind Tackle(lets you tackle twice in a row for 65potency and 2secs stun), cooldown seems to be 0 so only tied to Wind Tackle activate.
  • Brotherhood, cooldown 90secs, duration 15secs, increases physical damage to nearby party members by 5%, 30% chance to open a chakra whenever a party members uses a weapon skill
Gonna check the basic skills see if I find any differences
  • Bootshine, True Strike, Snap Punch potency reduced by 10 across the board, Twin Snakes 100/130 instead of 100/140, Dragon Kick 100/140 instead of 100/150, Demolish same potency, but duration of dot reduced to 18secs instead of 21secs
  • Greased Lightning Duration 16secs instead of 14
  • Internal Release crit 30% instead of 15%
  • Steel Peak, no more stun
  • Enhanced Mantra rolled into the skill directly, otherwise unchanged(range isn't listed)
  • Touch of Death, Haymaker, Featherfoot and Second Wind still in the files but should be unavailable
  • One Ilm Punch, changed to stun for 1sec, goes through stun immunity from diminishing returns(can always interupt a stunnable target with it regardless of people spamming stuns)
  • Dragon Kick, lost the 10% reduced int
  • Forbidden Chakra, potency reduced from 320 to 250(reminder you get chakras a lot more often, there should be a trait that generates chakras 30% of the time when you crit with a weapon skill)
  • Tornado Kick, 330potency instead of 320, cooldown reduced to 10secs from 40secs

I have a hard time liking this and the complete removal of Attribute points. Feel like they are simplifying the game and remove the reward for running a dungeon while levelling. Don't like the idea of just being handed stuff for free.

Since you didn't even have any overview over your glamour or armor sets and it's implemented as worst as it possible can get, it doesn't matter anyway. Collecting different or many sets is almost impossible except you have a big ass notebook where you organize the stuff that you have and that is missing for the 3726 gear sets in the game. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

God, this is, for years, my biggest complain about the whole game. I have the 3 Eorzea Collection catalogs at home and they help a little, but my God is collecting glamour a pain in the ass in this game...

Xux

All the katana look pretty great. Thunderstroke looks Pacha AF but the other Primal katana look pretty great, as well. Even the Magitek katana looks really good.

The not crafted rapiers tend to look really gaudy, though.

Caim

If you're on PSN you can login and download the patch which will also apply your pre-order/early access bonuses.

erawsd

Yeah, I was aware that it already reduced GCD and that Monk doesnt have anything that is casted. I was more curious about the oGCD stuff like Steel Peak, Elixir Field, ect and what they are classified as. Looking more into I can see that they are just generically referred to as "Abilities", so they wouldn't be impacted.

v1perz53

The only way I choose classes in this game is based on ones that have a reasonable amount of oGCD abilities and proc based/randomized rotations, because the 2.5 sec GCD feels SO SLOW at baseline, and early rotations of 1->2->3 repeat forever, use your damage buff every 90-120 seconds are mind numbing. But I actually love the combat once you add in oGCDs, procs and rotation randomness, and buff/debuff management.

As such, while they buffed Pal quite a bit, I hope they addressed some of the gameplay aspects I didn't like as much to give a bit more of an interesting rotation. While powerful "press Requiescat then spam Holy Spirit" doesn't sound FUN, hopefully in actual play it'll be better though. And I loved old War, but mostly just for the gameplay feel (never played any endgame stuff where actual damage mattered), I really hope it doesn't feel too different in stormblood.

Guess there's nothing really to do but wait and see how things feel, I always struggle in XIV to read changes and understand how they will actually play out. I just really hope that the most complex and interesting tank to play (be it Pal, War or Drk) is sufficiently rewarding in that it is more powerful in some aspect if that difficult/complex aspect is played properly. My nightmare is that the simplest tank is also the most powerful, because while complex rotations are fun for me, doing so but gaining nothing from it takes away almost as much fun as the complexity adds.

Amirnol

Hi guys, I am just starting to play again after finishing Heavensward months ago. I am up to the latest main quest which is to infiltrate this new Wall dungeon (patch 3.5). Unfortunately I need ilvl 230 for this and I left my character with only ilvl 217! Do I really need to get through these quests to access Stormblood? How the heck can I get my ilvl up that high in a short amount of time? I really hope I don't have to do a bunch of grinding...

Tomcat said:
BLM FLARE GOT NERFED
potency drop of 10% per additional enemy to a maximum of 50% becomes 15% to a maximum of 30%
Damn it why
BLM FLARE GOT BUFFED
Has an actual MP cost now rather than all your MP, and the cost goes down for each Umbral Heart you collect, which means you can use the spell in your rotations much more often.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
There will be a Pro exclusive setting in the menu once early access starts.

It's in the patch notes, but its just for 4k TVs.
That's for the 4k resolution, right?
I assume the base setting will have higher framerate on the Pro in 1080p.

Thoraxes

So...

When does the SE store send out our actual PC keys? They sent me an e-mail telling me to claim my key last week when they charged the purchase, but all it was was the same Early Access code that I got when I pre-ordered.

kromeo

huh had no idea patch is up for download

that twist of fate enemy might lead to return of fate train
this is new tome gear perhaps?
de4bffc4fb40b355db2cb463273acab6f10e26ac_163.png

only 1 grade 6 materia max when forbidden melding? so perhaps a total of 3 grade 6 materias including the default 2 slots max?

wow rdm embolden is 80 seconds cooldown, that's.... a strange number

Now that is some ugly ass footwear. Instant glamour

RPGCrazied

Whats this 2nd patch nonsense? Only got 1 on PC. Was a few gigs. Now it just says game can't be played under maintenance.

Caim

Will it only be available to those who have purchased stormblood or will it apply to the base game?

Yeah it's part of the patch so after the update you should be able to switch it regardless if you have SB or not.

Standard is being replaced by whatever PS4's highest setting was, and the new setting is for PS4 Pro.

That's for the 4k resolution, right?
I assume the base setting will have higher framerate on the Pro in 1080p.

Yeah I'm assuming that's the case.

Whats this 2nd patch nonsense? Only got 1 on PC. Was a few gigs. Now it just says game can't be played under maintenance.
You're supposed to download 6gb~ worth of files, they deployed those in two sets, if you started it later you'll download 6gb in one go but if you downloaded a 2gb early patch you need to download the rest

iammeiam

Honestly so far I'm super amazed that relatively small changes since the media blitz of "NONE OF THIS CAN BE USED AGAINST US BECAUSE TEMPORARY" showing; small potency adjustments, mostly in weird places, but the overall trends hold out.

In honor of that new armor set, TBT!

It's often said that Final Fantasy XIV has a lot of female players, but they never made it with the intention adding more female players.

Final Fantasy XIV doesn't have many things that would leave a sour taste to female players.

Yoshi-P, who was once a core gamer, never cared for equipment that shows too much skin.

He says that since people have an image that online games are dominated by male players, there are many that think adding sexy female characters and a bunch of risqué equipment would make it popular.

He feels that this is something that the makers just assume on their own, and believes that if female gamers see some of these equipment, some of them might think ”what the heck is this?"

It's not that this is new, more that the waifu races (Female Au'ra emotes in specific) and a lot of gearing choices have never made it seem like they shy away from going the risqué route. They're not TERA, I guess.

But jesus christ do I hate the way some of that stuff looks on Lalafell; I don't care if everybody else wants to run around half naked, none of that stuff looks right on Lalafell bodies. :|

This still has the bad NA translation for the new Army's Paeon; Paeon is an attack speed increase but is not a damage buff. I think we found that out from Famitsu a while back, and it's confirmed in the datamining.

Guess Who

Banned
In honor of that new armor set, TBT!

It's not that this is new, more that the waifu races (Female Au'ra emotes in specific) and a lot of gearing choices have never made it seem like they shy away from going the risqué route. They're not TERA, I guess.

But jesus christ do I hate the way some of that stuff looks on Lalafell; I don't care if everybody else wants to run around half naked, none of that stuff looks right on Lalafell bodies. :|

I think what makes it work is that the male equivalent gear is every inch as absurd.

Aahahahahah the male version is amazing of that lewd outfit.

xmDWftr.png

I'm gonna have so much defense with this.

Top Bottom