• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

O1 feels more like a "here's a floor for you to learn how to deal with constant movement in a fight because you'll need it later" fight than anything.

Hopefully Savage will do some cool stuff with that double tank buster mechanic.

iammeiam

Considering there were some people who still couldn't figure out what to do in my DF group, you're expecting too much from Normal.

I mean, O4 has a Blizzard mechanic from Snowcloak and I explained it and people STILL got Deep Freeze every fuckin' Blizzard. People are really dumb and skip potion probably made it worse.

Again, I'm not talking about the difficulty of the fight, and I'm not expecting anything out of alignment with prior normal raid intro fights?

I'm not asking to wipe, I'm not asking for them to crank the tuning in normal, I'm not asking for anything harder. Part of what is usually used to set XIV bosses apart from mere mortal MMOs is the specatcle/detail of encounter design. O1 just felt super generic; nothing about the boss, the boss's move set, or how we fought him felt memorable.

Again, I'm not talking about the difficulty of the fight, and I'm not expecting anything out of alignment with prior normal raid intro fights?

I'm not asking to wipe, I'm not asking for them to crank the tuning in normal, I'm not asking for anything harder. Part of what is usually used to set XIV bosses apart from mere mortal MMOs is the specatcle/detail of encounter design. O1 just felt super generic; nothing about the boss, the boss's move set, or how we fought him felt memorable.

I kind of agree with you there; it was a pretty standard cycle of the same few moves with no interesting mechanics or flash, and if you haven't played FFV it's just some worm

Isaccard

Same.

iammeiam

I kind of agree with you there; it was a pretty standard cycle of the same few moves with no interesting mechanics or flash, and if you haven't played FFV it's just some worm

Which TBH is par for the course with FFXIV dungeon bosses? Like, Calcabrina is a meh fight that gets by on the reference factor, and it's not a big deal that they don't do anything with the original mechanics because it's just a dungeon boss.

O1 didn't even
Encircle
anyone; it's a bummer that the XIV encounter we've seen so far today doesn't have an identity of its own and is skating by largely on "I recognize that reference!" value. I get it in the theme park content, but I expect them to do more with the individual fights that are supposed to stand on their own.

Arkeband

Banned

I think that was kind of intentional as he even uses a move called "The Classic Elements". Everything from the color palette to the music is supposed to reflect the simplicity of FFV.

But I agree, we were kind of spoiled by Lakshmi and Susano (and certain fights in Alexander) so it's not wrong to expect Omega to start off with a bigger bang than it did.

B.K.

Early Omega story spoilers.

Nero is a monster. I can't believe he wanted to dissect the cute little chocobo.

scy

I think that was kind of intentional as he even uses a move called "The Classic Elements". Everything from the color palette to the music is supposed to reflect the simplicity of FFV.

I think for me it came down to the fact I didn't even realize that was the reference based off the fight until afterwards, though I think I blame a combination of 5 AM and no old man murder.

I thought so. There's very little that would require a second healer (given DPS can take almost no damage if they know the fight) and nothing requiring a second tank.

Realistically, you could probably solo tank all four, just O4 would involve immunity through a third stack of the tankbuster (maybe?).

Didn't really catch too many multiple tank stuff in my first run through.

Blitzhex

Allright, found a chart:

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/334426-PvP-and-Leveling-EXP-Charts.

Sounds like we shouldn't be ignoring dungeons in favor of PVP no mo. The PVP experience is still pretty high even if you lose.

I had a group for O2 that kept dying to the stupid tentacles and one guy said he could explain it but his friend wanted a blind run. At which point we all wondered what the fuck these people think a blind run is if we've seen and died to the same mechanic like four times.

U dun pai muh sub!!!

That info is awesome. I've been doing fates while waiting for dps queue 60-70, and it works really well, especially with no instance zones now, people are doing more fates.

Aeana

I'm sticking with V because it's right there in the name. But really, with coil we used our own names. Turn 1-9 didn't line up with what the game even called them.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's going to be Gammascape 1-4 you know it to be true.

Vic_Viper

Finally started the Stormblood MSQ! Decided to just rush through and finish HW with my NIN and put off leveling my SAM till I finish 4.0.

Is there anything I should checkout/do first aside from the MSQ?

Also working on getting the Fillibuster Armor sets from the last 2 HW dungeons.

When can I start the Fox lady stuff? Will I know when I get there?

iammeiam

Everyone called "Second Coil Turn 1" "T6" without blinking an eye.

There were still the purists who wanted to call it SCoB T1; they popped up again in Alex and tried to make M1-M4 a thing and Alex didn't even number things.

Basically I don't see the point in using the V in the name if we're just going to branch off next tier anyway and diverge from official naming; if the versions are going to reset each tier I'm happy with the O designation.

Finally started the Stormblood MSQ! Decided to just rush through and finish HW with my NIN and put off leveling my SAM till I finish 4.0.

Is there anything I should checkout/do first aside from the MSQ?

Also working on getting the Fillibuster Armor sets from the last 2 HW dungeons.

When can I start the Fox lady stuff? Will I know when I get there?
Foxy Lady only at level 67 ish because its very likely you won't be able to go to the area where it spawns until then because of story reasons.

Ended up taking today off from XIV.
still loving it but needed a cooldown after running 2.1-Stormblood from release until early yesterday morning.

Was loving what I was seeing at the early Stormblood locations though.

Is there any vendor near there with better gear though?
nearly Lv65 but vendors all just have the HW60 gear.

iammeiam

V1 is the best way to go, it just makes sense. T13, A12S, etc.

We never said "Creator 4" or "Final Coil 3".

But the T in BCoB and the A in Alex represent different things? T1-T5 happened before people knew they'd be resetting, and then you had the weird people who kept trying to reset since the game did. The entire reason people ran with A1 in Heavensward was to avoid the Coil situation where the floor numbers reset. By just tagging with the overall expansion raid abbreviation + number it was easy.

O for Omega is identical to A for Alexander, so...

(also what if they go actual software revisions--1.1,2.1,3.1,4.1. SUCH CONFUSE)

Arkeband

Banned
But the T in BCoB and the A in Alex represent different things? T1-T5 happened before people knew they'd be resetting, and then you had the weird people who kept trying to reset since the game did. The entire reason people ran with A1 in Heavensward was to avoid the Coil situation where the floor numbers reset. By just tagging with the overall expansion raid abbreviation + number it was easy.

Or 1.11, 2.22, 3.33, etc, like Eva rebuild.

Luminaire

Well we can't stop! Won't stop! NO V1, NO O1!

We are now using...

FF5-1 through FF5-12.

See what you've done!

R0ckman

Is it worth it to endgame my Fisher (chase the yellow script gear)? I'm selling jack crap on my fish compared to my miner and bot.

I heard Sony released an update allowing Remote Play to PC. Is there a guide online for setting that up so I can play FFXIV at a friend's place on my laptop?

B.K.

Is it generally accepted to roll Need on items at the end of raids? I've been Greeding everything and only got one item out of four raids. Everyone else except me rolled Need on everything at the end of V4.

iammeiam

Is it generally accepted to roll Need on items at the end of raids? I've been Greeding everything and only got one item out of four raids. Everyone else except me rolled Need on everything at the end of V4.

100% you should be needing on everything you decide to roll on in Omega. At this point it's all going to be actual gear upgrades for everyone, so everyone really does need them. Additionally, since you can only win 1 token per floor per week, people generally only need the specific thing they want.

B.K.

100% you should be needing on everything you decide to roll on in Omega. At this point it's all going to be actual gear upgrades for everyone, so everyone really does need them. Additionally, since you can only win 1 token per floor per week, people generally only need the specific thing they want.

Everyone was Needing on everything when I finished V4 just a few minutes ago.

Veldin

XIV is the only MMO I've played where the community can't make abbreviations to save their lives. I've been playing fairly consistently since launch and even now I pause for a bit when someone mentions T12 for example and think "what the hell is that and what are you talking about". Final Coil 3, Coil 3-3, FCoB 3. Anything that even vaguely resembles what's in Duty Finder. It's okay to just call things what they are.

I'm calling the new raid Delta 1-4 till the day I die.

Isaccard

XIV is the only MMO I've played where the community can't make abbreviations to save their lives. I've been playing fairly consistently since launch and even now I pause for a bit when someone mentions T12 for example and think "what the hell is that and what are you talking about". Final Coil 3, Coil 3-3, FCoB 3. Anything that even vaguely resembles what's in Duty Finder. It's okay to just call things what they are.

I'm calling the new raid Delta 1-4 till the day I die.

Turn x is in the name though
unknown.png

Top Bottom