• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Kalentan

Need to get back in. Kind of fizzed out around Lv 65. I honestly wished there was less side quests and that they just gave more exp.

Guess Who

Banned
I definitely thought that
Lyse, savior of the brown people, being a pretty white blonde lady
struck me as a bit racist. If I had to guess, it's probably more a consequence of
the entire Yda/Lyse thing and their connection to Ala Mhigo being, perhaps not technically a retcon, but clearly written long, long after the character was originally designed
than deliberate racism.

Isaccard

But she's not awful at all. I'm not even sure what you are getting at.

Beepo summed it up pretty nicely in his post? He's braver than I am with some of his points as it's not something I'd probably discuss on GAF, but on top of that, she incredibly childish and annoying; shows zero growth, she goes from place to place wondering how and why people won't fight back when she comes to get them to fight for her and can't seem to understand why (or even try) they're all refusing. These people have been here struggling while she's been ironically off pretending to be a better character than she actually is.

ebil

I definitely thought that
Lyse, savior of the brown people, being a pretty white blonde lady
struck me as a bit racist. If I had to guess, it's probably more a consequence of
the entire Yda/Lyse thing and their connection to Ala Mhigo being, perhaps not technically a retcon, but clearly written long, long after the character was originally designed
than deliberate racism.
There's clearly a chain of retcons going on there, as
Highlander women literally didn't even exist in 1.0 when these characters were designed. Minfilia is supposed to be a Highlander woman, yet she's got a blonde Midlander model too (she received a Highlander cleavage upgrade in 2.0, I guess that counts for something). Even her father, an Ala Mhigan double agent, was a blonde Midlander back then.

I've been bothered by it for the longest time too, but this was always going to be clashing with the established (new) lore.

Started playing again a few days ago. Hadn't played since before Heavensward. I forgot how fun this game can be. Too bad they haven't given WHM much more in the way of attack variety, though. Casting stone over and over again really gets tedious while leveling. I just want to be able to spam holy so I can hear that satisfying glass shattering sound effect all the time!

I just joined the FC on Ultros so hit me up in-game if you need a 56 WHM or a 43 PLD. Character name is Uhn Tiss.

Stuart444

Ok so level 67 cutscene spoiler for RDM job quest:
Lilith, one of the four fiends. AWESOME :D

Loving the RDM quest line

OK now I;ve done the level 70 quest, Was awesome:

Fighting Lilith in the weeping city, having to do certain mechanics in an actual job quest. Loved it. (too bad we didn't need to fight Ozma before fighting Lilith :p

got 98percentile on susanoo despite unintentional high balance uptime (almost all aoe if not all?) on bard. But even with that fflogs calculated around 3550~ dps without balance as bard. Pretty ballingggg

SOIEaFd.png

Carrying like god damn champs

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I just read Bebpo's SB review from a while ago and I have to say that I agree with most of it. My problem is that I didn't like the Doma part that much, because of being bored with Asian settings in fantasy MMOs. Other than that, pretty much spot on, especially regarding Lyse. I still can't understand why people think she's a good character, but to each their own, I guess.

duckroll

In the past week I have seen:

- A PLD solo the boss in Ala Mhigo effortlessly until the final swords phase where he gave up because there wasn't any DPS for it. I think he just did it to show us how easy the fight is. :p
- A PLD solo the boss of Temple of the Fist from 50% to victory.
- Two PLDs solo the last... third (?) of Omega 1.0.

It's really ridiculous how well rounded the job is. They can self-heal, eat tons of damage, and actually do enough DPS to finish fights.

Perineum

I' proud of myself. I'm level 40 with Warrior, and am working on story stuff in the snow town area after the Titan fight. Farthest I have been in this game, and I am now 10 levels shy of playing the class I want which is SAM.

Hoping by the end of this week to make it there, but it is a slog, and the ARR story is constantly making me want to drop the game, but I am suffering through in the hopes that Heavens and Stormblood will be worth it.

gryvan

- A PLD solo the boss in Ala Mhigo effortlessly until the final swords phase where he gave up because there wasn't any DPS for it. I think he just did it to show us how easy the fight is. :p

It's really ridiculous how well rounded the job is. They can self-heal, eat tons of damage, and actually do enough DPS to finish fights.

DRk can heal too....and mini adloquim every 6 seconds as long as we aren't mana starved....

:x

New player here. Wanted to ask about the PS4/Mac/PC cross play features. I get it's the same characters on the same servers, but since you need to pay for both steam and ps4 separately, can you make a trial on Steam's version and then play that character on PS4? And what is the deal with the non-Steam PC version?

Luigi87

End of level 64 MSQ, and... I'm 50% of the way to lv. 70

I guess I should do my Job quests, lol

though maybe Thursday... new Gundam game out tomorrow~

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yellow script binge today.

Got the Botany axe, the body and the legs. Finish off the last three pieces tomorrow, and get to work on Miner, which I also got to 70 today.

Stuart444

Is Stone Sky Sea a bit overtuned? Tried out the Royal Menagerie with my RDM in i293 stuff, using all my buffs and doing everything as right as possible and couldn't clear it. Was about 8 - 10% left I think when the timer ran out. Just feels overtuned.

New player here. Wanted to ask about the PS4/Mac/PC cross play features. I get it's the same characters on the same servers, but since you need to pay for both steam and ps4 separately, can you make a trial on Steam's version and then play that character on PS4? And what is the deal with the non-Steam PC version?

I don't think you can switch during the trial but when you actually buy the full game for either platform you can use that character you created on the platform you selected to purchase the game on.

Aalvi

How do I get the free trial if I was in the beta? It says I am not eligible but I didn't get the same benefit of unlimited play time and being able to go to level 35 >_>

I don't hate Lyse as a character, but yeah, there is just no actual justification for why she's
suddenly this beloved liberator in red figure that marketing material has her as (heck, isn't Stormblood actually called The Crimson Liberator in Japan or something?). It doesn't take much for any fresh pair of eyes to recognise her as an impulsive and overly hot-headed pugilistic individual - qualities of which are not befitting that of a leader managing such a crucial long operation across battlefields to reclaim their homeland. Sure, Conrad for some inexplicable reason hands the reins over to someone who is also somehow the daughter of a man who was ethnically nothing like her, but why does everyone else appear to silently accept her as a leadership figure all of a sudden? What claim has she to this position when M'naago or the like were there from the very beginning and she displayed an unbroken spirit at the start just after Zenos mowed down Rhalgr's Reach? Lyse certainly needed an extra arc in between Conrad's death and the actual act of symbolically putting on the dress.

It would have all worked much better contextually if Lyse was the long lost, last surviving princess of the last non-crazy king of Ala Mhigo or something.

Severance

Holy fuck. It's time to nerf Paladins or buff raid bosses. I wish I was able to record this, but I don't have anything set up to. Okay, it's my my first run of the brand new raid, Deltascape V2.0. Almost all of the group, save 2 people, die from boss mechanics with 35% health left on the boss. There is a paladin and samurai left. They proceed to two man this boss straight down to 1%. It takes awhile, but this Paladin is keeping himself up for a good 10 minutes. He eventually goes OOM for a brief sec and dies. I firmly believe you could two man this boss with a Paladin tank. You could possibly even solo him with a Paladin if you had the patience and optimal gear. It was ridiculous to watch.

You could nerf paladins, I guess. Honestly though, I have always thought that bosses don't hit tanks hard enough. Maybe it's my WoW background, but I've thought this since ARR. They design raids with "tank buster" mechanics, which take maybe half their health, but then the boss doesn't really put them in any immediate danger of dying. I often find myself zoning out on bosses while DPSing, then having plenty of time to top off the tank. I don't know, after watching people effectively two man a brand new raid boss, it's safe to say balance is off somewhere.

Edit: Just saw the video posted earlier here of the trio of people taking him down with of course, a paladin tank. I hope someone up at Square sees this hah.

Xux

It would've been funny if
you get back to Eorzea and Theodren's come out of hiding and does the exact same thing Hien did.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Out static tanks have been doing the Shirkle Jerk to get miles ahead of our god damn samurai. It's worked well so far.

I convinced my crazy mitigation oriented PLD friend that Shirk is a must... Shirk is needed. You might need a Macro to make it work smoothly, but it is needed

Shy Fingers

Banned
Omega Thoughts:

OMG Thank You for trying something different SE

Please don't get lazy with the savage adaptations.. like you did for HW

B.K.

How does the airship mount campaign work? Do you have to buy a 90 day subscription during the timeframe or have been subscribed for 90 days already?

duckroll

It would have all worked much better contextually if Lyse was the long lost, last surviving princess of the last non-crazy king of Ala Mhigo or something.

I would go further and say that if they wanted her character design to be retconned into an interesting story for Ala Mhigo, she should have been half-Garlean. She's young enough to have been born from a Garlean father and an Ala Mhigon mother from the very early days of the conflict. If they went in that direction, the perspective and development she could have in terms of going home and having to fight to find acceptance as one of them would be far more interesting. As opposed to the same arc she has now but it's all a freebie given to her because they all knew her dad and because she steals credit for all the shit you do as WoL. :p

Meciu

<3

Holy fuck. It's time to nerf Paladins or buff raid bosses. I wish I was able to record this, but I don't have anything set up to. Okay, it's my my first run of the brand new raid, Deltascape V2.0. Almost all of the group, save 2 people, die from boss mechanics with 35% health left on the boss. There is a paladin and samurai left. They proceed to two man this boss straight down to 1%. It takes awhile, but this Paladin is keeping himself up for a good 10 minutes. He eventually goes OOM for a brief sec and dies. I firmly believe you could two man this boss with a Paladin tank. You could possibly even solo him with a Paladin if you had the patience and optimal gear. It was ridiculous to watch.

You could nerf paladins, I guess. Honestly though, I have always thought that bosses don't hit tanks hard enough. Maybe it's my WoW background, but I've thought this since ARR. They design raids with "tank buster" mechanics, which take maybe half their health, but then the boss doesn't really put them in any immediate danger of dying. I often find myself zoning out on bosses while DPSing, then having plenty of time to top off the tank. I don't know, after watching people effectively two man a brand new raid boss, it's safe to say balance is off somewhere.

Edit: Just saw the video posted earlier here of the trio of people taking him down with of course, a paladin tank. I hope someone up at Square sees this hah.

WAR has been doing shit like this for more than 3 years and it was OK? I remeber WAR solo last 40% on multiple bosses. Now when it's our time to shine it's suddenly a problem.

Apoptomon

Going into the expansion, I wanted to be heavily invested in the
Gyr Abanian
side of things, but in the end the
Othard/Doma
(I'll leave you to decide which [redacted] is which) section ended up being more compelling/interesting due to the variety of environments and peoples involved
(one one side: Fantasy-Celtic-speaking Fantasy Germanics with Fantasy Yorkshire accents in Fantasy Turkey; on the other side: Straight-Up-Fantasy-Japan, Straight-Up-Fantasy-Mongolia and -Fantasy-Japanese-China)
, and the flow of events.

On the Lady in Red,
it did feel like her promotion to Commander did come out of nowhere / was undeserved, though i didn't have a problem with her character. Tataru and Alisaie best Scions though.
As an aside, many of the Highlander or Gyr Abanians are dark/tanned its true (Lyse's dad among them, perhaps a bit jarringly), but then you have NPCs like Fordola, Adalberta (Mining guild), Godbert and Hildibrand Manderville, Mylla and Aldis (gladiator guild) who seem tanned at most, so ??? ...I'm not sure if that says anything about SE's attitudes/preferences towards the design of significant female characters.

AwShucks

Here are my thoughts after getting railed during the final trial.

I don't dislike Lyse, but I thought she was better when she was Yda. She is a bit whiny and doesn't seem mature enough to handle the post given to her. Just thinks everything should go her way.
She looks really bad when comparing to Hien, who is awesome. So is Yuguri. And Fordola is the best villain in FFXIV so far. I really enjoyed her scenes and her arc. Steppes was the weakest part of the game. The quests themselves just dragged and were so inconsquential. But I liked the factions and the stories and dungeons of Steppes, it was just the actual quests were like "wtf am I doing this for". Doma has some of the best music. I can't imagine what the next expansion will be like. Garlemald should be left alone now. The Garleans have no more empire, just their own home. There was a severe lack of Yshtola in this expansion which was a damn shame. And I loved Thancred in 2.0 but he is a pale imitation of what he used to be now. I fucking loved the Estinien cameos. Of course Ascians had to be show up. Curious whose face it was under the mask. These post credits scenes don't stop. Lastly,
seriously fuck that last trial. Going into that blind is tough.

I like how some NPCs would actually do something when approached, rather than just standing still.

Here are my thoughts after getting railed during the final trial.

I don't dislike Lyse, but I thought she was better when she was Yda. She is a bit whiny and doesn't seem mature enough to handle the post given to her. Just thinks everything should go her way.
She looks really bad when comparing to Hien, who is awesome. So is Yuguri. And Fordola is the best villain in FFXIV so far.

I like how some NPCs would actually do something when approached, rather than just standing still.

I really disagree with these claims.
Lyse is not whiny in the end. She's got a very powerful voice to her name and she certainly matures throughout the storyline.
Fordola is an extremely weak villain and her voice is top laughs quality of bad.
Everytime she talked it sounded like you pissed her off so bad you slept with a friend of her's or something. I didn't like Fordola simply because she's weak and a benign idiot to Zenos because she truly believes Zenos cares about her. It was bad... one scene in the control room in Abania was straight out of Star Wars where she fired on her own people.
Ugh, cringe. Lyse is miles better than Fordola can ever be. Lyse is strong, determined,
knows what her goals are in the end, and yes even though she does hit on you at times she's still an awesome character. I don't see how Lyse's character was bad at all.
She knows her responsibilities and her narrations really do show that.

Alrus

Fordola is an awful villain with dumbass motivations that make no sense in context of what is happening around her. I cannot believe someone would like that character, going as far as calling her the best villain.

Havent read all of your responses, but as I just finished, my biggest thing about lyse was
she felt like she was plopped into everything for the sake of the xpac. She was the scion with arguably the least amount of character development before stormblood even started and the game carried itself like we had some deep kinship with her, when we really didnt.

Also to note she didnt really seem to actually accomplish much or make any "hard" decisions. I think capturing Fordola instead of killing her is like her only choice of note?

Top Bottom