• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Munba

Woah, Omega was a blast. Awesome new mechanincs in D2 and D3.
The desert part is brilliant lol (but only for who played FF5)

I just hit level 23 postman. I'm pretty sure I've spent more time delivering letters than I did finishing the 2.0 story, but they've all at least been interesting quests.

duckroll

I just hit level 23 postman. I'm pretty sure I've spent more time delivering letters than I did finishing the 2.0 story, but they've all at least been interesting quests.

The postmoogle quests really pay off as a post-game thing especially if you remember the characters from the ARR MSQs and side quests. So much character development and world building there. Too bad they stopped making them for expansions. :(

Zomba13

The postmoogle quests really pay off as a post-game thing especially if you remember the characters from the ARR MSQs and side quests. So much character development and world building there. Too bad they stopped making them for expansions. :(

Would've been nice if they added more and you slowly build up a postman/woman uniform with a little satchel and all that.

Yea, they've done a good job of fleshing out the world, that's why I haven't really minded that they've gone on seemingly forever. While most of them were plucky little adventures, I was impressed by how dark/bittersweet some of them got
The sister in the Coeurlclaw gang was especially dark. And just now Wymond found out that the love of his live has moved on without him. Though he's got the whole Lennon thing going for him, so he'll probably be ok.

Kenai

My thoughts on the MSQ/expansion so far after some vegging on it

Lyse definitely feels unfinished atm and her leadership role undeserving, but it is still 4.0 so there's a lot of time for her character development and I definitely feel she can grow into the role. I fully expect her to receive some more backstory and probably a fair amount of self reflection going forward, so there's that. While WoL is definitely friends with her, we've had relativity little personal time with her compared to Y'shtola, Thancred, Tataru, Minfillia and the twins, to the point where almost everyone else in the Scions inner circle "knew" Lyse but yet WoL didn't. This sense of detachment from her going into the expansion, combined with the less suspenseful MSQ, made 4.0 less exciting for me than 3.0.

Despite this, overall I feel 4.0 to be the better package compared to 3.0. The pacing is better, the bullshit is far less frivolous (looking at you Moogles), the exp gaps were more manageable, and the general cast is just as strong. Lyse is similar to Alph in a lot of ways and will continue to stay beside us as she comes into her own, Alisae delivered roast after delicious roast, and new characters such as Hien, the Xaela clans and Gosetsu were as good or better than their HW counterparts. Yoyotsu (sp?) definitely has potential as well, cause she is quite the wild card to me.

And dat Omega.

DAT.

OMEGA.

Was better than Alexander 5 min in (story wise at least), will only get better. It remains to be seen how the complete package will look in the coming patches, but I am definitely expecting great things going forward

Orgun

Up to level 42 now and finally finished the damn fetch quest that leads to the Titan fight. My god that was a dull chain heh.

Did some of the Palace of the Dead with a few friends, that is a neat area and a great idea.

Vhalyar

Up to level 42 now and finally finished the damn fetch quest that leads to the Titan fight. My god that was a dull chain heh.

Did some of the Palace of the Dead with a few friends, that is a neat area and a great idea.
Honestly the game would massively benefit from a main story clean-up. The early stuff is just... awful.

MikeBison

So the Samurai AF gear is just ok. I had been glamouring the Garo stuff up until then which looked much better IMO.

Started Omega last night. First time doing a raid even close to release feels cool and exciting! Should get it finished off tonight and onto farming EX trials this weekend.

But the Omega gear for all classes is pretty foul. They went full on Dynasty warriors for the Striking gear.

So instead my friend who was on 02 gave me his butler code because he already has it. Huge improvement, actually looks good with a katana ha!

Full_Size_Render.jpg

As a level 37 Black Mage what should my rotation be? New to mmos and I want to make sure the info is current with all the changes so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!

As a level 37 Black Mage what should my rotation be? New to mmos and I want to make sure the info is current with all the changes so I thought I'd ask here. Thanks!

Do you have fire 3 and Blizzard 3 at that time? If so, your basic rotation would be to, when in astral fire, use fire until you have next to no MP, and then use Blizzard 3. Use thunder while in blizzard, then when you're one tick away from full MP, cast fire 3, too, trying to be at full MP as you swap over.

Fire 3 and Blizzard 3 give you max astral fire/umbral ice.

At least, I'm pretty sure it still works that way.

At 37 you should probably just keep doing Fire till out of MP Transpose Blizz till full MP Transpose. You only get your firts real rotation when you hit 40 because thats when you get Blizz 3 and Astral/Umbral 3 and you can use Blizz/Fire 3 to swap stances.

Sciel

So the Samurai AF gear is just ok. I had been glamouring the Garo stuff up until then which looked much better IMO.

Started Omega last night. First time doing a raid even close to release feels cool and exciting! Should get it finished off tonight and onto farming EX trials this weekend.

But the Omega gear for all classes is pretty foul. They went full on Dynasty warriors for the Striking gear.

So instead my friend who was on 02 gave me his butler code because he already has it. Huge improvement, actually looks good with a katana ha!

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Looks fab. Is the code part of some promotion or something? (sorry been outta the loop lol)

MikeBison

Looks fab. Is the code part of some promotion or something? (sorry been outta the loop lol)

Yeah, if you're in the UK 02 have a code for their rewards programme. You text a number and get:

White fat Chocobo
Butler outfit (as pictured)
Maid outfit.

My friend was the one who was on 02 and he even split the codes up. Gave me the butler, himself the chocobo and gave his gf the maid outfit.

Think it's running for another 4-5 days. Someone did post the details of it 10 pages back or so, if you can't find it.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
It was part of the Amazon sale promotion last year which I unfortunately also missed.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/6d27fccfcd8bcde0a72be895222a9f85ecae2562

Here's the one that happened this year:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/88d7bde755680b54588da68b55120b58004694f1

We are so supposed to be able to buy the outfits from the Mog Station along with the ones from this year's Amazon sale promotion at some point but when they decide to add those items to the Mog Station? Your guess is as good as mine.

Omega was pretty fun. The Collector's Edition stuff finally made sense to me as well.
I was wondering why there were seemingly random FFV cosmetics this time around!

Honestly the game would massively benefit from a main story clean-up. The early stuff is just... awful.

Yeah, my friend recently got into the game and even the pre-25 stuff is a bit of a slog. I don't have the heart to tell him about the post-ARR filler because I know he'd quit immediately lol

MikeBison

in fact, i've dug it up for you.

O2 Priority – In-game Item Campaign

How to Redeem

All O2 mobile customers who are registered for O2 priority can obtain promotional codes via the O2 Priority app. Details of the O2 Priority app can be found here.
(https://priority.o2.co.uk/)

You can redeem these codes via Mog Station to acquire the in-game items.

Campaign Duration
From Monday the 3rd of July 2017 to Monday the 10th of July 2017

Available In-Game Items
1 x Original Fat Chocobo Mount
1 x Housemaid Attire
1 x Butler Attire

I have no idea why that fight has no enrage. Tanks surviving through it isn't a singular occurrence, we had that happen on the first run too.
It's... kind of hard to die, too, once you know what to dodge the only damage you'll get are light aoe taps on the shoulder.

The "issue" is the fight literally does no damage if you do the mechanics properly. No unavoidable raid wide damage like every fight almost, no tank buster, no share damage thing. When I healed it on my AST I basically was DPSing the entire fight and only throwing instant heals at people failling mechanics, and the WHM was doing the same. There's nothing else to heal.

Fun fight but hardly a good representation of PLD being OP, I'm sure DRK could do the same, and possibly WAR too even with Bloodbath removal. The damage is just super super low.

Hagi

How to Redeem

All O2 mobile customers who are registered for O2 priority can obtain promotional codes via the O2 Priority app. Details of the O2 Priority app can be found here.

Campaign Duration

Available In-Game Items
1 x Housemaid Attire
1 x Butler Attire

Oh shit thanks I would have had no idea about this otherwise. I can give out a spare butler code if anyone would like it, just shoot me a pm and I'll get back to whoever wants it after work.

Finally I can take Sprint off my hotbar.

Sciel

How to Redeem

Campaign Duration

Available In-Game Items
1 x Housemaid Attire
1 x Butler Attire
It was part of the Amazon sale promotion last year which I unfortunately also missed.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/6d27fccfcd8bcde0a72be895222a9f85ecae2562

Here's the one that happened this year:

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/88d7bde755680b54588da68b55120b58004694f1

We are so supposed to be able to buy the outfits from the Mog Station along with the ones from this year's Amazon sale promotion at some point but when they decide to add those items to the Mog Station? Your guess is as good as mine.

I am out of luck :(. Have to wait till they add it to mogstation T_T.

KuroNeeko

Hey guys, just curious, but how different is the tanking experience on PLD vs. DRK. The Clemency video posted earlier (and the follow-up post saying DRK has self-healing too) has got my interest peaked!

I guess I'm not as interested in which is "better", rather which is more fun. lol Yeah, not a very good question, I know...

Fordola is an awful villain with dumbass motivations that make no sense in context of what is happening around her. I cannot believe someone would like that character, going as far as calling her the best villain.

But there's just so much to like about her! Like the way she umm, is so perpetually grumpy? A personality black hole besides the way she charmingly screams in her Yorkshire accent?

No, seriously. I desperately wanted to be invested in Fordola. To run with the angle of
young Ala Mhigans growing up under the empire and how they see the world around them and their place in it was something I was legitimately excited to see. Let's bring forth some nuance into this conflict, I thought. It can help grey things out morally and perhaps when we get to understand Fordola's perspective, maybe the Garleans as occupiers aren't so bad after all, and/or that the Resistance are not solely (at the moment, now that Ilberd is gone and Laurentius and Yuyuhase are seemingly nowhere to be seen) composed of brave, stalwart heroes who are unambiguously pursuing the right path in fighting for liberation. Let's see HOW her generation has lived under Ala Mhigo. Perhaps under Garlemald they have visibly prospered, unlike twenty years ago when the nation was still reeling from a mad monarch and the resulting civil war.

Instead, it's just all done in a generic manner. The Garleans are Saturday morning cartoon villains in how much they dehumanise the native Ala Mhigans, but Fordola continues to essentially fight for them all the same. I didn't have to make it all the way to the second half of The Peaks to predict that Fordola, as stubbornly incapable as she is of exercising her own real agency, is coerced by Zenos into having to brutally sacrifice her own comrades for the nebulous end of maaaaaaaaybe garnering acceptance by these cartoonishly racist and dismissive Garleans at long last. It would have been far more interesting if she had faltered at the control room there and then, the act of sacrificing her comrades causing her to finally break down and allowing us to really get into her mind and see her introspection play out in front of us. Perhaps a conversation could have been had between her and someone like Raubahn, with the shadow of Ilberd as this reminder that he and Fordola are two sides of the same coin.

But no, let's keep it all nice and overly simplistic. Fordola's pent-up rage at her treatment by other Garleans just cements her resolve to go the extra way to "impress" them. All Lyse has to do, in between moments of one-inch punching her, is to scream "you're slaves to a tyrant! There's no freedom in that!" and she would be...well she's right. That is essentially it.
Just disappointing. I think all in all I still prefer Heavensward.

Got to the final boss of the main quest yesterday.

Help me I'm dying so much.

Also does anyone know any easy way to get level 70 accessories without spending inordinate amounts of money on the market board?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Fordola would've worked potentially if
if the Garleans didn't spend most of their screen time trying to outdo every real life colonial empire at the same time for near-pointless evil, yeah. But they do. So.

The most sympathetic garlean characters who haven't defected are a man who wanted to genocide the beast tribes and had a romance with his basically adopted daughter, and Regula "Team Rocket" van Hydrus. The other major Garlean characters are the Emperor from FF2, Luca Blight with ennui, Hojo, a Roe who existed to die in 30 seconds after people cheer getting him in trial roulette and and Tribunus 'kick all sylphs'.

Wait, I take it back, Livia was the most sympathetic Garlean character. Kill all sylphs.

Kyzer

Banned
Decided to do atma curtana and shield for da glamourz and holy shit @ me thinking I was done after one book. But I must continue. Foe the glowy weapons!

If i do the new relic weapon quests after curtana do i still get to keep these or will i have to turn them in?

MikeBison

Got to the final boss of the main quest yesterday.

Help me I'm dying so much.

Also does anyone know any easy way to get level 70 accessories without spending inordinate amounts of money on the market board?

Level 70 dungeons and roulettes. And they'll give verity in abundance which you can get accessories with in Rhalgr's reach.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Decided to do atma curtana and shield for da glamourz and holy shit @ me thinking I was done after one book. But I must continue. Foe the glowy weapons!

If i do the new relic weapon quests after curtana do i still get to keep these or will i have to turn them in?
You must turn in your current Relic Weapon in order to continue the Relic Quests but you are able to buy Replica Relic Weapons from all Relic Forms/Steps you have finished so far for Glamour purposes.

Isaccard

You'll be able to glmour replicas of them.

Hey all,

Early days for me in FFXIV so far(around level 20) but can anyone answer this.

Do each zones have their own overarching quest that tells ths story of that particular zone like WoW does? I like getting to know more about the zones, their history, people and culture.

Does FFXIV have anything like that or are the zones stories covered in the MSQ? Not that far into it so far, just done the copperbell mine part.

Sapientas

Damn, I can't stay logged in for more than 10 minutes since yesterday...

I need to play this, I'm not ready to go back to Persona yet.

IvorB

So I beat the Stormblood MSQ today thanks to GAF FC (great peoples) since getting a party for the last trial on df has become a community issue where people drop if there's new players.

Anyhow, if you've been around here for a while and remember the old long rant reviews I'd do on bad ps2 rpgs, here's my review of the MSQ. Warning, if you love Stormblood, prepare to be triggered:

/my two cents[/spoiler]

I agree with many of your points but :1) a story doesn't have to be happy, happy fantasy adventure land to be a good FF story. 2) there is absolutely nothing wrong with a cameo from a well known character. It doesn't have to be a whole big thing and it might even be a lead into something else.

Anyway, I'm glad the world is waking up to how wack Fake Yda was.

But generally I still maintain the story was a pretty great FF story and I really appreciated it's appetite for telling stories that were actually pretty dark.

MrHoot

Damn, I can't stay logged in for more than 10 minutes since yesterday...

I need to play this, I'm not ready to go back to Persona yet.

If you're having the 90002 disconnects, try using a VPN. It's what i've been using to stay logged in. They're apparently booting everyone from outside the US on us servers due to some DDOS attack

Hey all,

Early days for me in FFXIV so far(around level 20) but can anyone answer this.

Do each zones have their own overarching quest that tells ths story of that particular zone like WoW does? I like getting to know more about the zones, their history, people and culture.

Does FFXIV have anything like that or are the zones stories covered in the MSQ? Not that far into it so far, just done the copperbell mine part.

Most zones have some particular town/sanctuary have NPCs with MSQs that will cover at least a little bit about the area. It's been awhile since I've gone through ARR content though, but I feel it becomes more apparent in Heavensward and Stormblood since the zones are much larger and each town there has a bigger arc.

On a side note: I've been trying to get the Aetir weapons but I'm still on the A Dream Fulfilled quest, having a hard time getting enough crystal sands (I used up a lot of poetics to get enough umbrites). I was hoping to turn in blue scrip tokens via Diadem farming and just leveled up my miner and botanist to 60, but it looks like finding a party is impossible at this point. Are there any good ways to get crystal sands that don't involve spamming duties for amber stones or hording poetics to spend on inks/mist?

Xion_Stellar

Speaking of relic, now that I'm AST main (from SCH), I need to start a new relic. What step can I start on now?
Same as everyone else.

From Step One...just because you completed a Relic Weapon before doesn't mean you can start skipping steps however it does mean you can get a headstart on a few steps if you know what you're doing.

Kusagari

Overall the story in Stormblood was probably better than Heavensward but I still think the dynamic between Ysayle and Estinien was the best this game has ever gotten.

Aesthet1c

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Looks great!

How are SAM holding their swords like this? Is it a race thing or an emote? My cat dude always idles with the double hand hold.

Arkeband

Banned
Are we to the point where we can definitively state that the story in HW > SB so we can point and laugh at the skip potioneers?

ebil

I liked Fordola because her story tied up one of the last loose ends from 1.0's Futures Perfect (very last quest of the game), ie
what happened to the Ala Mhigan children that were captured and "brainwashed" by the Empire
. Now we just need to resolve Niellefresne's story (I have a feeling we'll end up hearing about this during 4.x if my theory ends up being true) and we're pretty much done with 1.0.

Nightz

So I'm getting close to the end of my trial period on the PS4 (currently level 31) and I'm ready to jump in and buy the complete edition. However I'd like to switch to PC since chatting with the PS4 is a bit tedious without a keyboard. Is it as simple as buying the PC version and redeeming the codes with my account? Or is there anything else I need to do to make sure my character doesn't get lost?

Looks great!

How are SAM holding their swords like this? Is it a race thing or an emote? My cat dude always idles with the double hand hold.

Draw your weapon and use the change stance emote. You can also set it so that you'll automatically go into an idle pose after a certain amount of time, weapon drawn or not.

They're gender locked, though, which kinda sucks.

So I'm getting close to the end of my trial period on the PS4 (currently level 31) and I'm ready to jump in and buy the complete edition. However I'd like to switch to PC since chatting with the PS4 is a bit tedious without a keyboard. Is it as simple as buying the PC version and redeeming the codes with my account? Or is there anything else I need to do to make sure my character doesn't get lost?

Nothing extra to do.

~Cross~

Are we to the point where we can definitively state that the story in HW > SB so we can point and laugh at the skip potioneers?

Im enjoying SB more than HW because its basically another Suikoden and so far I haven't been told to pray return to mogholme.

Top Bottom