• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Arkeband

Banned
Did Omega yesterday and so far I don't know what to think about it. The bosses are cool, but the story itself is
just a tournament arc from every manga ever. I liked how Midgardsormr is back, though. The underlying lore about Omega is also interesting, and the tease about Omega looking to kill someone.

Except they resolved the tease immediately and then walked it back like they do every other potential consequential death.

Reknoc

Some thoughts on Gosetsu and the Stormblood ending -
I appreciate that we finally got a Roegadyn main-story character after we lost Moenbryda so quickly (no, Merlwyb doesn't count). At first I was a bit upset he also ended up dying in like 2 patches like Moenbryda did, but I actually ended up appreciating his character growth and development.

Then, of course, it turns out he is alive and the sacrifice wasn't really a sacrifice. I'm not sure why the story team always ends up bringing every character back that seemingly dies. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see Papalymo and Haurchefant in 4.1.

I'm pretty sure Gosetsu isn't a roe. Also
he was never dead and I don't believe for a second anyone thought he was when the game went out of its way to explain why there was no corpse. Unless a character goes cold in your goddamn arms they're coming back eventually.

Enthus

Would've been a great opportunity to get rid of a certain blonde /sigh

If you mean Lyse, we aren't going to get any consequences from this raid in the main story until like 5.0 at the earliest. If you mean Nero, shame on you.

he was never dead and I don't believe for a second anyone thought he was when the game went out of its way to explain why there was no corpse. Unless a character goes cold in your goddamn arms they're coming back eventually.

That's the whole point of what I'm saying. Square just can't let a character die in this game. Gosetsu had earned that in his character arc at that point.

Also, from letter XXXV
Q3: Gosetsu looks like a Roegadyn, but also looks like a big Highlander. Which race is he?

A3: He's a Roegadyn, but one from the lands to the East. Rather than a Sea Wolf, he's closer to the Hellsguard tribe.

He's huge and red lol

Some thoughts on Gosetsu and the Stormblood ending -
I appreciate that we finally got a Roegadyn main-story character after we lost Moenbryda so quickly (no, Merlwyb doesn't count). At first I was a bit upset he also ended up dying in like 2 patches like Moenbryda did, but I actually ended up appreciating his character growth and development.

Then, of course, it turns out he is alive and the sacrifice wasn't really a sacrifice. I'm not sure why the story team always ends up bringing every character back that seemingly dies. At this point I wouldn't be surprised to see Papalymo and Haurchefant in 4.1.

As soon as they said that there was no corpse, it was super obvious he was still alive tbh. It doesn't mean the impact of that moment isn't any lesser since it was easily one of the best FFXIV cutscenes until they completely walked back on it (still a great moment tho), but I can't be mad about more Yotsuyu tho.

Reknoc

Okay I had no idea he was confirmed to be one lol that's kinda blowing my mind because he looks like he's just a big dude.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
Gosetsu clearly has a human face and a reasonable human skin tone but yeah, he's confirmed roe. It's weird.

adversarial

Tanked all 4 Datascapes yesterday, pretty fun. ExDeath was awesome. Loved the GAF group.

I'm looking to tank for a static group whose interested in doing Savage weekly, or whatever the lockout is. I'm new to FFXIV but I've tanked in WoW since around 2004 and have hovered around Top 50-100 depending on expansion. I play DRK but will level PLD or WAR if either of those are absolutely necessary.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Would've been a great opportunity to get rid of a certain blonde /sigh
Why do people hate Lyse so much? I never thought she did anything bad. Being a relatively bland character doesn't mean that she should die.

Plus I have to admit she looks great in that dress. ._.

Why do people hate Lyse so much? I never thought she did anything bad. Being a relatively bland character doesn't mean that she should die.

Plus I have to admit she looks great in that dress. ._.
Because she's forced down our throats when all she did for the expac was whine that people didn't want to fight when she asked them to

Hey can you spare people for the resistance
No
HOW DARE YOU

Our Crimson Liberator, everyone. Go sit in front of the other leaders as if you were more important. It's ok, she milked some sheep, she earned it.

studyguy

DBiLGW9.png
Lyse.jpg

LordKasual

Banned
Because she's forced down our throats when all she did for the expac was whine that people didn't want to fight when she asked them to

Hey can you spare people for the resistance
No
HOW DARE YOU

Our Crimson Liberator, everyone. Go sit in front of the other leaders as if you were more important. It's ok, she milked some sheep, she earned it.

I feel like the game had no shortage of dialogue questioning how she ended up being a defacto leader. Alisaie in particular was always quite vocal about this.

It's also worth mentioning that although Lyse has always come off as a bit of a ditz, she's still one of the most capable fighters in the MSQ.

She's been soloing Garlean elites since 2.0.

Zakalwe

Banned
I just installed this for ps4. I haven't played for ages and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as I tend to when I rejoin an mmo after a break.

Is this like HS where you had to complete all the base content to do the new stuff? Or can I jump straight into the new expac?

Seijuro

I just installed this for ps4. I haven't played for ages and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed as I tend to when I rejoin an mmo after a break.

Is this like HS where you had to complete all the base content to do the new stuff? Or can I jump straight into the new expac?

You even have to complete all the Heavensward content too to access the new areas.

IvorB

I feel like the game had no shortage of dialogue questioning how she ended up being a defacto leader. Alisaie in particular was always quite vocal about this.

It's also worth mentioning that although Lyse has always come off as a bit of a ditz, she's still one of the most capable fighters in the MSQ.

She's been soloing Garlean elites since 2.0.

Eh she was in the
right place at the right time and that's a perfectly valid way to gain power. I mean barely anyone else even wanted to fight so it's not like the field was that crowded. As much as I think she's a lame character, her becoming the leader isn't really that questionable to me. Someone suggest Raubahn but he has a job already.

LordKasual

Banned
Eh she was in the
right place at the right time and that's a perfectly valid way to gain power. I mean barely anyone else even wanted to fight so it's not like that field was that crowded. As much as I think she's a lame character, her becoming the leader isn't really that questionable to me. Someone suggest Raubahn but he has a job already.

Yeah, that last bit is really the key point when you think about it.

* I just rationalize Lyse as a character that the Scions just kind of point in the direction that they needed her, but she's most effective in Stormblood's MSQ because all of her weakpoints as a Scion (intelligence, tactics) are sort of already covered given the setting.

So as far as the story goes, she really is the most capable character for the role. She's still no tactician (which is why her role always seems so awkward) but as far as warriors go, your next best choice would be Raubahn, which is out of the question.
Any other time Lyse/Yda has had a role in the MSQ, she's had Pap to point her in the right direction, but in the Ala Mhigo situation, she's just self-motivated and already invested. I guess that's what Stormblood was aiming for.

Also...

I was really hoping that
Lyse got a new mask to wear after the Stormblood events. It took me half the story to realize that the reason she seemed like such a different character wasn't because of her dialogue, but because you can actually see her facial expressions now.

rubius01

Yeah, that last bit is really the key point when you think about it.

* I just rationalize Lyse as a character that the Scions just kind of point in the direction that they needed her, but she's most effective in Stormblood's MSQ because all of her weakpoints as a Scion (intelligence, tactics) are sort of already covered given the setting.

So as far as the story goes, she really is the most capable character for the role. She's still no tactician (which is why her role always seems so awkward) but as far as warriors go, your next best choice would be Raubahn, which is out of the question.

To add to this, Lyse also has a history with the resistance, I mean this is where she was during Heavansward. She is also a Scion, which apparently is a big deal and carries a ton of wright with the people in power. Also, her father was a Ben Franklin type figure with the resistance, and Raubahn supported her.

studyguy

One wonders how Ala Migho even lasts as a nation when they install heads of state on seemingly a whim. No wonder it got toppled.

Saying she carries 'a ton of weight' when literally no one knew who she was when we first got there is super questionable.

rubius01

One wonders how Ala Migho even lasts as a nation when they install heads of state on seemingly a whim. No wonder it got toppled.

Saying she carries 'a ton of weight' when literally no one knew who she was when we first got there is super questionable.

They knew her as Yda.

dramatis

Look.

Your alternatives are Hamon Holyfist, a drunkard who needed like 4 quests before he could punch a dummy properly, or the guy whose name I can't remember but is a complete dumbass monk that actually got scammed by catgirls.

Stick with Lyse.

LordKasual

Banned

She does carry weight because she is a Scion. Lyse wasn't twiddling her thumbs before the events of Stormblood, and she had been putting in work for the cause under the guise of someone else.

Yeah, she's going to look ditzy in the company of characters like Y'shtola or Alphinaud...but it's not like she doesn't have her proven set of qualities about her.

And as far as people to take into combat with you? Lyse is probably the best standup duelist in the squad, outside the Warrior of Light.

I really want to say Thancred, but he's been gotten kinda nerfed since Heavensward unfortunately :(

Look.

Your alternatives are Hamon Holyfist, a drunkard who needed like 4 quests before he could punch a dummy properly, or the guy whose name I can't remember but is a complete dumbass monk that actually got scammed by catgirls.

Stick with Lyse.
Or you know, M'Naago, the leader's right hand woman who has been bleeding for the resistance for much longer than her and actually got some shit done.

Why is the text size in the NPC dialogue so tiny? Whew. Was playing this in bed on my TV last night and lost about 5 hours to the game, had a lot of fun. But man I have very little idea of what all the quests are about because I can't read shit.

studyguy

So we have:
Nanamo who through some strange convoluted plan of having her "die" tries to pull her people out from under the thumb of the syndicate.

Alymeric who tried to fight his father himself, made a peace accords with dragons, etc

Hien who put an entire steppe, band of pirates and peasant uprising under his control to storm his own castle in a plan of his own creation.

And Lyse, who tried really, really hard and did "some stuff" in the background of HW that no one can really nail down.

k, maybe she'll do something in later patches that makes her seem more competent, but for now, eh.

Why is the text size in the NPC dialogue so tiny? Whew. Was playing this in bed on my TV last night and lost about 5 hours to the game, had a lot of fun. But man I have very little idea of what all the quests are about because I can't read shit.

You can change it in the options, they messed up with the defaults or whatever in Stormblood but you can set it back they added it with 4.01. Assuming that's PS4 version.

As for Lyse, the story actually explains decently why she ends up where she ends up. The old man
before he dies
tells you that she's the right person because she has both a good standing with Ala Mhigans from her father's legacy and with the other people including refugees who fled during the war and want to come back to reclaim their country, since that's basically her. She's not actually useful in the story but that's ok, she can be a symbol, an icon for the revolution. She doesn't need to have actually destroyed X magitek airships or killed the Emperor's entire bloodline to be the leader. Also that's leader of
the revolution/resistance, not leader of Ala Mhigo as far as I understood. She doesn't actually become someone really important, relatively speaking. Not yet at least.

Also for people who hate her, her new role might actually phase her out of the story eventually, so that's a plus.

rubius01

From a soldier standpoint? No.
From a leadership position? God yes.

I never felt that M'naago was a leader-- a good number 2. Plus M'naago doesn't have the pedigree and support that Luse/Yda has. And that is just as important as leadership qualities because without Raubhan/the Scions there is no liberation.

Crosseyes

Banned
Heavensward does have the luxury of 2 years of patch content when we talk about its plotlines and characters too.

The criticisms of Lyse I can definitely see but for patch content
Ala Mhigo is pretty much left without a government. Doma is in pretty solid hands but is probably more vulnerable to imperial counter attack though. But I didn't get the impression that Lyse was left as first in line for leader of Ala Mhigo, just a strong soldier in the right place fighting with the right people with a family history. If she does take on more figurehead roles I think she has room to develop and earn it in the 4.x series.

Top Bottom