• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

iammeiam

#skipcutscene and all, but I'm really enjoying this discussion because now the story in my head is basically that
Lyse is FFXIV's Katniss Everdeen, symbol of resistance while the grown-ups do the actual resisting.

Which is a step up from HW, where she
was in that super awesome cutscene where they wanted to hider her face so it was just a bunch of shots of her chest.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Mid Late SB Spoilers

I just realized that a
certain enemy's upgrade
explains why our
Echo
let's us see what the enemy is casting/charging and the aoe markers.

So we have:
Nanamo who through some strange convoluted plan of having her "die" tries to pull her people out from under the thumb of the syndicate.

I'll just remind you that
that was not actually Nanamo's plan. Nanamo intended to announce her abdication and the abolishment of the sultanate in favor of a representative government with Raubahn as its head. Teledji's assassination plot, which was then coopted by Lolorito, thwarted her plans and the status quo in Ul'dah hasn't been shaken since.

studyguy

I'll just remind you that
that was not actually Nanamo's plan. Nanamo intended to announce her abdication and the abolishment of the sultanate in favor of a representative government with Raubahn as its head. Teledji's assassination plot, which was then coopted by Lolorito, thwarted her plans and the status quo in Ul'dah hasn't been shaken since.

Which on the whole is still a more compelling plot. idk fam, Lyse is still WOAT.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Which on the whole is still a more compelling plot. idk fam, Lyse is still WOAT.

At the end when she said

And of course I'm a Scion.

I was like really?
Because I'm pretty sure you've been impersonating someone that was the whole time.

studyguy

Merlwyb was the best until she was nerfed, because every other leader looked like a wuss compared to her.

Both she and Rauban were pretty fucking stellar in 1.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvXSHLPB1aM
Merlwyb doing her best Reaper impression.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJT55T_nqss
Rauban actually using his shield

At the end when she said

I was like really?
Because I'm pretty sure you've been impersonating someone that was the whole time.

Just gonna go with the earlier conclusion that she and Papalymo were basically written out. Papalymo especially since even being from Grid he barely gets any screentime between Yda's handful of times.

R0ckman

I was looking into things on gathering percentages and it seems that the game actually looks at your inventory and its not completely RNG? Someone said they did some tests and found that the game attempts to give you about 15 HQ items for every stack of 99 if the rate is 100%? Sure enough I check my stacks of ore I had harvested while reading that and I had 16 HQ and 99 NQ but in my case it was an 83% node. The guy also mentioned if he did not have his HQ quota and he was heading towards 99 NQ it would start spamming HQ hits in secession.

When I was in school for programming probability processes there I faintly remember having to do something to distribute percentages, I wonder if their process for that distrbution is screwed up because of the inventory check and as a result causes weird things like often missing 80-90% nodes more often in a short amount of time mining.

Qvoth

camped ixion for about 3 hours, gave up
wtzgU.gif

RK9039

Minfilia was the best, it's not my fault you people have poor taste.

635729253947182898750331769_packed-bags.gif

I'm probably going to retire my Warrior finally, been playing it since the beta.

Time to play a real DPS class.

Merlwyb was the best until she was nerfed, because every other leader looked like a wuss compared to her.

Merlwyb is really the best, but she hasn't said anything since before HW I think.

creid

Hien who put an entire steppe, band of pirates and peasant uprising under his control to storm his own castle in a plan of his own creation.

And Lyse, who tried really, really hard and did "some stuff" in the background of HW that no one can really nail down.
Give Lyse some credit, she also frowned a LOT.

At the end when she said

I was like really?

I don't think
Yda herself was ever a Scion? I'm pretty sure Yda died and Lyse took her place before the Scions were formed.

Lesath

Look.

Your alternatives are Hamon Holyfist, a drunkard who needed like 4 quests before he could punch a dummy properly, or the guy whose name I can't remember but is a complete dumbass monk that actually got scammed by catgirls.

Stick with Lyse.

Said monk
actually has a legitimate connection to the Ala Mhigan royal line, but decides instead to resurrect the Fist of Rhalgr
. Anyway, I really don't get the hate Lyse gets; maybe it's because I paced myself through the story so it never comes out of left field, but what's readily apparent is how Lyse is being developed as a character and growing into her role as one of the leaders of the Revolution. And as you say, other than Raubahn (who is too entrenched in Ul'dah at this point), there is no other suitable leader.

At the same time, I find Hien boring: he comes in as a static character who has no lessons to learn, and in fact annoyingly
swoops in in the last second to make a major contribution to the assault on Ala Mhigo

At the same time, I find Hien boring: he comes in as a static character who has no lessons to learn, and in fact annoyingly
swoops in in the last second to make a major contribution to the assault on Ala Mhigo

Hien is static, but he's a fun character to hang out with if nothing else. Also he has a snazzy outfit. I imagine that a lot of the hate for Lyse stems, consciously or unconsciously, from the fact that the outfit she has for most of Stormblood is abysmal.

#skipcutscene and all, but I'm really enjoying this discussion because now the story in my head is basically that
Lyse is FFXIV's Katniss Everdeen, symbol of resistance while the grown-ups do the actual resisting.

Okay, this contextualization actually works, haha. Yeah, Lyse is basically just the figurehead at the moment. If she's going to actually be the leader she def needs development. Hopefully, she'll get it in the 4.x patches.

Slater

Banned
Lyse really starts to flounder when you compare her to Ashe and realize her arc has already been done way better with a character that earned it far more.

Seriously though, a certain broody old friend of ares did more to help the liberation in 2 minutes of screetime then Lyse did in 40 plus hours.

Also he arc ain't got shit on Ysayle's either

MogCakes

The scions are at this point more a formal organization than the group of scholars you encounter in 2.0. The core members even act that way now, gone are the steadfast companions we met at lv5. Even Alphinaud and Alisaie are just occasional guest party members. The WOL is a pretty solitary figure when you look at all the story arcs. They have many allies, but few to none companions. Save for the chocobo. And
Midgardsormr, when he isn't asleep for an entire expansion

Edzi

The scions are at this point more a formal organization than the group of scholars you encounter in 2.0. The core members even act that way now, gone are the steadfast companions we met at lv5. Even Alphinaud and Alisaie are just occasional guest party members. The WOL is a pretty solitary figure when you look at all the story arcs. They have many allies, but few to none companions. Save for the chocobo. And

It's why I appreciate the HW arc with Ysayle, Estinien, and Aymeric. They all felt like actual companions and friends.

Slater

Banned
Alphy is a with us throughout HW all the way and
overall like 1/3 total of SB
. Noy to mention all the shit we did with him in ARR, he is wayyyy more then just the occasional party member, he is are defacto number 2

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I thought Lyse was okay. It's clear that she knows
she's not really a good fit for a leader at the moment, and will likely grow into it as the expansion goes on.

I don't think anyone else would have been a better fit.
Conrad and Wilred are both dead, and Mnaago is much more of a right-hand sort of person than a leader.

MogCakes

Alphy is a with us throughout HW all the way and
overall like 1/3 total of SB
. Noy to mention all the shit we did with him in ARR, he is wayyyy more then just the occasional party member, he is are defacto number 2
He is with us the most of any character, but even then he is not present for the raid arcs and parts of the .X patches in HW. Even in 2.X he was mostly running other affairs while WOL ran his errands. HW was the exception rather than the rule, as Lyse was in SB.

studyguy

Why don't we fucking take over the Garleans, then Eorzea for that matter.
I don't mean Scions, I mean us as WoL and "7 random ass adventurers who also happen to kill gods and stuff on occasion"

Like come on, we'd probably be pretty great at decimating civilizations. Eorezeans apparently can't get out of bed without us getting them 5 bushels of carrots for breakfast, seems like it'd be an easy coup.

I don't mean Scions, I mean us as WoL and "7 random ass adventurers who also happen to kill gods and stuff on occasion"

Like come on, we'd probably be pretty great at decimating civilizations. Eorezeans apparently can't get out of bed without us getting them 5 bushels of carrots for breakfast, seems like it'd be an easy coup.
If Ishgard taught me anything is that ruling over morons is not worth the stress.

wamberz1

I can't get Nidhogg's theme out of my head for nearly 2 days since completing that battle.
Man that might be my favorite track in the game atm.
Which one :)

But yeah, if you're talking about Final Steps of Faith then it's still the highlight of the game to me and has yet to be matched.

iammeiam

We'd set off to take over the world, and then Rowena would ask us to go fetch her the rare carrots from the bottom of the Ruby Sea and hand them out to 20 missing people and we'd get sidetracked for a month.

At this point my assumption is just that the WoL is, like, super dumb and the scions are happily taking advantage of the useful idiot.

rubius01

We'd set off to take over the world, and then Rowena would ask us to go fetch her the rare carrots from the bottom of the Ruby Sea and hand them out to 20 missing people and we'd get sidetracked for a month.

At this point my assumption is just that the WoL is, like, super dumb and the scions are happily taking advantage of the useful idiot.

Or I would be exchanging cheer emotes with Coco for 45 minutes straight infront of the tome vendors in the Reach

Lesath

Hien is static, but he's a fun character to hang out with if nothing else. Also he has a snazzy outfit. I imagine that a lot of the hate for Lyse stems, consciously or unconsciously, from the fact that the outfit she has for most of Stormblood is abysmal.

I rather suspect that the only reason people don't like Lyse is because
her appearance marked Yda's character death. Admittedly, she was more fun to be around when she's goofy and Papalymo was there to play the straight man.

Also, Hien is overshadowed by, Gotetsu, the best of the Doma crew.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Anyone leveling or who has leveled ALC to 70 have any tips? Doesnt seem very grind happy given the recipes...

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
The WoL is a golem. He doesn't have a will of his own. He just does whatever people tell him to do.

iammeiam

Anyone leveling or who has leveled ALC to 70 have any tips? Doesnt seem very grind happy given the recipes...

I'm at 64 right now and think I'm going to try the collectible grind to 70. I did turnins to get to 61, and am running off this crafter leve sheet which served me pretty well for GSM and BSM. Eta to 62, then spiritbond potion and level 63 class quest to 64. I'm going to see how the collectible to 70 route plays out tonight, probably, since the mats for the tea are fairly common, and that lets me bank leves for ARM leveling. Failing that I'll spam Beetle Glue.

creid

I rather suspect that the only reason people don't like Lyse is because
her appearance marked Yda's character death. Admittedly, she was more fun to be around when she's goofy and Papalymo was there to play the straight man.
Not true for me.
I don't miss Yda's dopeyness at all, though her naivety wasn't much better.

Had to use rescue on a disobedient SAM who refused to stack during O3 cuz he was only focused on his deeps. He gets whiny in the chat so I wait to use rescue on him again when each role has to stack in their individual quadrants. I pulled him to the healer one and he got wrecked and rage quit. I shouldn't act so immature next time.

MogCakes

The WoL is a golem. He doesn't have a will of his own. He just does whatever people tell him to do.
It's our day job while our life actually consists of fetish erp and emote spam, raid and fc drama and e-peen dps arguments. Eorzea just collectively turns a blind eye to it.

Top Bottom