• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

rubius01

Had to use rescue on a disobedient SAM who refused to stack during O3 cuz he was only focused on his deeps. He gets whiny in the chat so I wait to use rescue on him again when each role has to stack in their individual quadrants. I pulled him to the healer one and he got wrecked and rage quit. I shouldn't act so immature next time.

No, no. You did good

Ruff

Had to use rescue on a disobedient SAM who refused to stack during O3 cuz he was only focused on his deeps. He gets whiny in the chat so I wait to use rescue on him again when each role has to stack in their individual quadrants. I pulled him to the healer one and he got wrecked and rage quit. I shouldn't act so immature next time.

Sounds like the sort of antics I'd get upto as a Priest when the leashing skill came out. No one acted like a twat when people could pull you to your death over and over Lol

You were doing God's work.

So is dungeon spam the best way to level 60-70 now that PVP is dunzo?

iammeiam

Everyone should get to experience MCH at 70 just for the massive cognitive dissonance between how much work went into the animations and how little thought went into like... all the other things.

I 100% believe you'd see a gigantic uptick in casual machinists if they just used the heated shot animation on everything, even without fixing the balance. Sure, you're basically tickling the guy, but you look flashy as hell doing it. The way the sound effects on the heated shots work are pretty great, too, since it gives them a sense of weight.

It's so weird to play you guys idek.

At least turrets aren't visibility hazards like Bahamut. Take that, summoners.

studyguy

Everyone should get to experience MCH at 70 just for the massive cognitive dissonance between how much work went into the animations and how little thought went into like... all the other things.

I 100% believe you'd see a gigantic uptick in casual machinists if they just used the heated shot animation on everything, even without fixing the balance. Sure, you're basically tickling the guy, but you look flashy as hell doing it.

I mean, new job skills vs 2.0 holdover skills animations aren't even in the same realm. New stuff for most any job is wildly more animated.

Slater

Banned
Question is there literally anything Lyse did in the story that we ourselves could not have accomplished? Nah? Then she is useless

Ysayle and Estinien were actually vital to reaching HW's resolution alive, Lyse literally doesn't even need to be there.

Also for people saying M'naago is just a good number 2. That is by far more leadership then Lyse ever showed

studyguy

Naago climbed that tower to plant that flag and blew that horn.
I mean, I'm just saying. How many flags and horns has Lyse sounded huh?

ebil

I 100% believe you'd see a gigantic uptick in casual machinists if they just used the heated shot animation on everything, even without fixing the balance. Sure, you're basically tickling the guy, but you look flashy as hell doing it. The way the sound effects on the heated shots work are pretty great, too, since it gives them a sense of weight.

It's so weird to play you guys idek.

At least turrets aren't visibility hazards like Bahamut. Take that, summoners.
I'm a bit sad that they "fixed" what I disliked most about MCH (animations and sound effects) while doing... what they did to its gameplay, which I rather liked.

iammeiam

^--- yeah, it's a huge part of my weird relationship to the job right now. I played it when it was bad damage before because I liked how it played, but the playstyle right now just feels weird. Great animations, and I think the problems are actually pretty fixable, but it's still a gigantic shooting themselves in the foot by launching the rework the way they did.

I mean, new job skills vs 2.0 holdover skills animations aren't even in the same realm. New stuff for most any job is wildly more animated.

Yeah, but back in the 3.0 dark ages you had people straight up dropping MCH because most of the animations were really bland, and Spread Shot sounds ridiculously puny. The lack of flash in the moveset turning people off is something they took super seriously for the rework, and the 1-2-3 over 50 heat is now probably the flashiest filler GCD animation set.

studyguy

Yeah, but back in the 3.0 dark ages you had people straight up dropping MCH because most of the animations were really bland, and Spread Shot sounds ridiculously puny. The lack of flash in the moveset turning people off is something they took super seriously for the rework, and the 1-2-3 over 50 heat is now probably the flashiest filler GCD animation set.

Now that you mention it I don't even remember what MCH old animations were. Do they even have any special animations for the character itself. Like 99% of it was just the regular "stand and shoot" AA animation no? Even BRD has little flippy shots.

Question is there literally anything Lyse did in the story that we ourselves could not have accomplished? Nah? Then she is useless

Ysayle and Estinien were actually vital to reaching HW's resolution alive, Lyse literally doesn't even need to be there.

Also for people saying M'naago is just a good number 2. That is by far more leadership then Lyse ever showed

I'm not quite on the same Lyse hate train everyone else is, but I did laugh at the end
of her becoming a/the leader after all the hard work she did, when I was the one who did everything. I didn't see her do a godsdamned thing of note in Yanxia or Doma (Alisaie did a helluva lot more). I didn't see her fighting Zenos again. I didn't see her fight Grynewaht again. I didn't see her with me fighting a godsdamned dragon after our third fight with Zenos. She was just there, didn't stop the fool from offing himself like a bitch and just failed at doing anything important.

But, of course, I'm the WoL who helps people do even mundane things because Life is Pain and I help to ease suffering by killing monsters and helping deliver milk and letters.

I liked her better when she was her sister.

Aeana

When we gonna get healers that heal by doing DPS ala Disciple Priests in WoW

Yes pls 👌

I think it would be a great option that this community would ruin. It would become "no healers except <dpshealer> allowed" in every party finder, no other healers would ever be used again.

MogCakes

I think it would be a great option that this community would ruin. It would become "no healers except <dpshealer> allowed" in every party finder, no other healers would ever be used again.
Or replacing other dps with dpshealers. Or being irrelevant due to low dps/healing throughput or lack of offensive utility.

Or make it like Unleash where it has a main utility and does damage but the damage is beyond paltry, making it useless for actual DPS.

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Anyone leveling or who has leveled ALC to 70 have any tips? Doesnt seem very grind happy given the recipes...
I used leves to get to 70, didn't bother with collectibles cause you need leather to make the books. Went Growth Formula Eta (battle retainer can get moth scales) till I unlocked the Potent Spiritbond Potion (battle retainer can get the horns) then switched to Persimmon Tannin when I unlocked it. Mat requirements were so low that it was pretty easy compared to the other classes.

Also don't forget to pop exp buffs and do your class quest. Squadrons can get you a 2 hour buff, red scrip vendor has a 1 hour buff/300k bonus exp, and food. They stack together and speed up things quite a bit. Class quest give a decent amount of xp and mats are provided for you. They also give you a new trait that increases the likelihood of a good condition. .

iammeiam

Now that you mention it I don't even remember what MCH old animations were. Do they even have any special animations for the character itself. Like 99% of it was just the regular "stand and shoot" AA animation no? Even BRD has little flippy shots.

We had a couple, but only one that ever saw much use. Clean Shot was the only really cool GCD, it's the jump shot. It's also 3 in the 1-2--3 so you saw it less than the others unless we were wiping, at which point I'd turn off GB and run laps spamming clean shot to entertain myself. Dismantle had Wrench Toss, which we kept, and Rend Mind had the kneeling aimed shot thing. On a magic damage down oGCD that almost never got used. Like to the point I'd played the job for literal years before connecting the aimed shot animation in the MCH preview vid with Rend. We've also now lost it.

Which is a huge part of whiplash with the heated animations. The 1 in the combo is now doing air flips, and it only gets crazier from there. Reverting to the vanilla HW animations when heat is below 50 is a bummer for non-DPS reasons, because all your GCDs become inferior again.

Shy Fingers

Banned
Just play RDM and pretend you're a healer with all the raises you have to throw out. It's basically the same, except you won't get any comms for it.

Kinda sad they didn't add another achievement for commendations this expansion. They're just making a number go up now for no reason.

Stuart444

I loved the healer class in Rift where you would use some nature magic that is channeled and heals party members near the enemy I'm hitting. (forget the name of the role)

LOVED it, wish we had something similar tbh.

edit: looking it up, its Chloromancer for anyone who's played Rift and know what it is.

Once I get MNK to 50 I think I'm going to try my hand at healing. I've never healed in an MMO before, so do you guys have any recommendations for an entry level healing class?

I'm leaning towards SCH, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll be easy to play a pet class on controller.

ebil

I got 3 separate in-progress groups in Gubal Normal today (which is pretty sweet xp for 59-61). Every time, someone had bailed in that corridor with the Page 64s before the second boss, which puzzled me.

Then I got into an actual run from the start and I understood why: tanks are actually trying to pull everything, including the two Page 64s (which actually can't even move but will shoot lasers at someone and cast a level 5 Death AOE every now and then) in there. They then proceed to not dodge level 5 death, die to it because they're level 60, then argue endlessly with their healers about why they aren't being healed. When I politely explained this to our tank, he swiftly responded

[22:42](Darkblood Returns) Cba sz

and left the group.

i can't even

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Does anyone have a link to rotations for a lvl 60 crafter? Haven't played crafting in forever and I'm looking to lvl them again.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Clean Shot was the flippy MCH shot. Split was a normal pistol thing, and the second shot was on a knee or something.

There were some weapon-specific animations, though. The Thordan revolver was a break action gun, and your reloads had you actually break the gun open, reload, and flick your wrist to put it back together. I always liked that one.

Ok guys. So far, I've been canceling my subscription by removing my credit card info from my Square account. Is there some other way to do this? There's a "cancel subscription" button next to "cancel service account" in the mog station somewhere. Would that work? iI want to cancel my subscription for now as I have too many games to play, but I don't want to have to re-enter my credit card info. It might be obvious, but I'm asking here just in case. I don't want to get something wrong and delete my character or some dumb shit. Can I safely proceed?

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GXGoEiH.jpg[/IMG]

RK9039

Ok guys. So far, I've been canceling my subscription by removing my credit card info from my Square account. Is there some other way to do this? There's a "cancel subscription" button next to "cancel service account" in the mog station somewhere. Would that work? iI want to cancel my subscription for now as I have too many games to play, but I don't want to have to re-enter my credit card info. It might be obvious, but I'm asking here just in case. I don't want to get something wrong and delete my character or some dumb shit. Can I safely proceed?

Code:
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/GXGoEiH.jpg[/IMG]

Yes, all you do is 'Cancel Subscription'.

I literally just did that on mine a few seconds ago, it will tell you how many days you have left. In my case I have 10 days remaining.

BlackJace

Would it make sense for like, a demon or undead type enemy to take damage from heals? It would be pretty cool for a WHM to pop a Cure II and fuck up something.

Sorta like how Gigas Lich in Bravely Default gets rekt if you cast heals on it.

Kent

Once I get MNK to 50 I think I'm going to try my hand at healing. I've never healed in an MMO before, so do you guys have any recommendations for an entry level healing class?

I'm leaning towards SCH, but I'm not entirely sure if it'll be easy to play a pet class on controller.

This is the exact path I followed, MNK and then SCH. They're still my two main jobs. I play solely on controller.

The two most important things to understand about SCH are that you're not simply a pet class, and that you're not simply a healer.

Your fairy is less of a primary thing for you than it is an accessory. She is, functionally, your stance, as you have two options with meaningful differences, but you are still functionally the same in either one, each just adds some extra stuff.

The attitude of a SCH is so far removed from what it is to be "just a healer." Though a non-negligible amount of what made SCH special was removed as of Stormblood, the general play style remains the same; Think of yourself as a support character, rather than a straight healer: You proactively prevent damage, and prepare the party for the situations you're aware that they're going to get into, in order to minimize the damage actually taken by them. Your goal is to leverage your shielding, mitigation abilities and fairy in conjunction to buy yourself as much time to flex as possible - be it through healing multiple people that need it, or laying down DPS on enemies whenever you can.

In essence, stay a step ahead of your teammates, get them prepped for what they're going to run into (usually AOEs...) and then do what needs to be done from there.

Though our ability to do so has been hampered and the job isn't in the best spot right now, it's still functional and still has the same general play style - just, you'll be casting Physick a lot more often than you would previously.

As a general play style, healing is still "heal people that need to be healed, and do damage when they don't," for all three healers, WHM is very blunt and straight-forward about it, having the most up-front and powerful direct heals and damage spells of the three. SCH is, thematically and functionally, a job about tactically-useful spells and abilities that feels rewarding to play well. AST is like a cross between the two, emphasizing supporting the party's offensive output over their own damage, though they're subject to the randomness of card drawing.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Someone help me out with this. I'm seeing in some SAM guides that a couple of weaponskills are positional based. However, the tooltips indicate otherwise. No skills are positional based.

Is there another typo/fuck up?

Someone help me out with this. I'm seeing in some SAM guides that a couple of weaponskills are positional based. However, the tooltips indicate otherwise. No skills are positional based.

Kasha and Gekko have positional requirements for building meter that don't show in tooltips until 52

Kasha
Side Combo Bonus: Increases Kenki Gauge by 5

Gekko
Rear Combo Bonus: Increases Kenki Gauge by 5

I take these to mean you get double the Kenki gauge increase when used positionally in a combo

MogCakes

Would it make sense for like, a demon or undead type enemy to take damage from heals? It would be pretty cool for a WHM to pop a Cure II and fuck up something.

Sorta like how Gigas Lich in Bravely Default gets rekt if you cast heals on it.
It would be great to have enemies show up occasionally which are undead and take severely reduced damage from all damage types except healing spells, and raise which could OHKO non-boss undead. Like ffviii.

Top Bottom