• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Apoptomon

I haven't had any issues lately with connecting to Primal DC instances from outside NA, but then again I'm on the Asia-Pacific side of continent. It seems like a lot of the complaints are from Europeans... so is it something wrong with the Atlantic-coast routing?

The humbling wasn't even authentic to me. In terms of Zenos
not having the natural talent or power to fight you, he had to be genteically enhanced to barely be better than you, as you could still break his weapons and armor confronting him. The game did a terrible job at trying to humble the player. Almost rolled my eyes when I found out Zenos' powers were fake.

I thought he only
got the power until later after the scientist guy did the experiment on Fordola? Or maybe they mentioned it somewhere else and I forgot.

TankRizzo

Banned
So I'm getting back to it sometime next week. I bought Stormblood a few days ago with my PUR 70% trade in deal. Can someone answer this question for me: Why the fuck won't it update without an active sub? I tried it this morning before work and told me I needed one. So instead of having it download the 50+GB during work, I'm gonna have to do it after work. WTF?

Aeana

Man, I don't even know if I could find a way to vent that much MP on Susano. I healed it for the first time earlier and there's no real GCD need in the first half of the fight (barring untimely dice fails or people playing in the sea) so it's mostly just DPSing until post ultimate with an early Lucid and Thin Air to get their cooldowns rolling while staying at 80-90% MP. I did it as WHM but AST can basically do the same and even extend their first Lucid when extending their pre-pull card anyway and have that cover the first half of the fight. I basically just threw rocks for sword phase and let the AST handle most the GCD burden with shields / Earthly Star while I let a pre-cast Med 2 and oGCDs handle anything else. Because I had rocks to throw.

After tanking a bunch of Susanos in PF, I kind of just assumed the MP situation was more dire than it ended up being when I got around to healing it. From the WHM side of it, Lucid is up pretty often, Assize is up a lot, and Thin Air handles any actual GCD burn time (that I tended to waste on DPSing because I get antsy sitting on cooldowns) so it seems pretty hard to actually run out of MP.

How to run out of MP as an AST: DPS.
The efficiency on our DPS spells is ridiculously bad. If I DPS thoroughly throughout phase 1 of Susano EX, I'll reach the midpoint with less than half MP probably. If anybody screws up mechanics and needs major healing or (god forbid) dies, then that's even easier.

Last night I did Susano EX and people were messing around not taking it very seriously, so we had 4 deaths in phase 1. I had to use lucid dreaming before the phase transition!

In the end it's no big deal, though. I mean, if an AST can't make it through with all of the MP regen tools they have at their disposal, then that's pretty sad. A single lucid dreaming + celestial opposition recovers a massive amount of MP. Add a ewer if you're feeling shaky. And cast lucid dreaming under spear if you can. I wouldn't say ASTs have infinite MP, but if they're putting any thought into it whatsoever, it's hard to completely run out unless people are dying left and right. And this is totally ignoring the MP benefits lightspeed has for those times when you need to cast a ton of heals in rapid succession.

Man, I don't even know if I could find a way to vent that much MP on Susano. I healed it for the first time earlier and there's no real GCD need in the first half of the fight (barring untimely dice fails or people playing in the sea) so it's mostly just DPSing until post ultimate with an early Lucid and Thin Air to get their cooldowns rolling while staying at 80-90% MP. I did it as WHM but AST can basically do the same and even extend their first Lucid when extending their pre-pull card anyway and have that cover the first half of the fight. I basically just threw rocks for sword phase and let the AST handle most the GCD burden with shields / Earthly Star while I let a pre-cast Med 2 and oGCDs handle anything else. Because I had rocks to throw.

After tanking a bunch of Susanos in PF, I kind of just assumed the MP situation was more dire than it ended up being when I got around to healing it. From the WHM side of it, Lucid is up pretty often, Assize is up a lot, and Thin Air handles any actual GCD burn time (that I tended to waste on DPSing because I get antsy sitting on cooldowns) so it seems pretty hard to actually run out of MP.
Nevermind running out of MP, I rarely go below 10k MP while DPSing the entire fight and if there's a BRD around I'm basically topped off for most of the fight lol

Thin Air is a fucking godsend.

kromeo

So I'm getting back to it sometime next week. I bought Stormblood a few days ago with my PUR 70% trade in deal. Can someone answer this question for me: Why the fuck won't it update without an active sub? I tried it this morning before work and told me I needed one. So instead of having it download the 50+GB during work, I'm gonna have to do it after work. WTF?

For some reason it won't start check for updates until you actually log in, most other MMOs I've played do it as soon as you open the launcher

ebil

While leveling my SAM to 60 in PoTD, I got a group that opened every goddamn chest, and used every Pomander of Alteration. Mimic Rooms were so much fun!

If you have 69/69 you have no reason to care about silver chests while leveling and at that point any non-strength or rage pomander is garbage

Disabling Traps and revealing the floor layout are trash ��
It's pretty irrelevant if you're not looking for silver coffers, yeah. Sprint, peek at the entrance of the rooms for the passage, go kill mobs till it opens and done. Traps won't really do anything to you unless you're running 4 SAMs and step on a mine and a summon trap at the same time.

I only use Sight pomanders near the end to make the final floors go a bit faster.

Silav101

In most strategy videos I've watched, people just hammer the buttons instead of trying to time it correctly.

I personally get better results on my controller by timing button presses. Slide casting is something I use when I know I have to be getting some place soon, but have time to get there. Sliding along lets me keep casting as I sidle my way to a pre-determined spot to handle mechanics while minimizing dropped casts due to full movement. If you really have to skedaddle, that's when you use Swiftcast or Triplecast or whatever instant spells you have.

You can also use it for dodging stuff, like this bard, who dodges the Gravitational Anomaly aoe ground puddle while still finishing his cast.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3A5MUBbgIA

Honestly surprised the dragoon didn't die, there. >.>

There's also this amusing slide cast video by a black mage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3A5MUBbgIA

iammeiam

I spend most of PotD trying to not be in the same room as the rest of the party. Melee love to react to me trying to pull something across the room into a hall by running face-first into traps. Can't blow me up if I refuse to be in the room with you!

I don't care if they want to get chests, but I do care if they want to make Mimics happen and then drag them to me like it's my problem. You made it, you eat the Pox. :|

How to run out of MP as an AST: DPS.
The efficiency on our DPS spells is ridiculously bad. If I DPS thoroughly throughout phase 1 of Susano EX, I'll reach the midpoint with less than half MP probably. If anybody screws up mechanics and needs major healing or (god forbid) dies, then that's even easier.

Last night I did Susano EX and people were messing around not taking it very seriously, so we had 4 deaths in phase 1. I had to use lucid dreaming before the phase transition!

Lucid + Celestial Oppo at pull is amazing for Susano; basically wall-to-wall Malefic spam with barely a dent in MP, in P1 and then Lucid and Oppo are both back up in time for the Ult and ideally another AOE card. Beyond that point it gets a lot more touch-and-go, but the pull Lucid times out really nicely for crazy early DPS with wiggle room for greedy and/or dumb melee eating things they shouldn't.

Final phase in most PF groups is a GCD economy struggle; DPS feeding three of four electrocutions to the full party means a lot of time wasted keeping everyone up that could be spent hitting the boss with tiny stars.

dramatis

I don't know about AST or SCH, but WHM MP tools are so good now I can raise from the dead in Sus EX and have half+ MP back in no time.

ebil

SCH only really struggles with MP when it's out of CDs and needs to heal a lot, which is actually nothing new. They probably should bring the MP cost of Succor (and maybe Adloquium) back down because that's really all we have for emergency GCD healing, and they're very inefficient spells. MP is completely fine in controlled situations.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Samurai are so fucking lucky that even their kenki gauge doesn't go down with time. If it was a dragoon that gauge would be ticking down every fucking second.

wamberz1

We need all tanks to go on strike and see how far we can push this

No more queues for anyone until our demands are met

100 extra verity and a random omega piece drop for EXDR, 30 extra capped currency for trial roulette. And free dental coverage

Trojita

We need all tanks to go on strike and see how far we can push this

No more queues for anyone until our demands are met

100 extra verity and a random omega piece drop for EXDR, 30 extra capped currency for trial roulette. And free dental coverage

69lyxp3ne68z.png

adversarial

Susano is mechanically in the ballpark of Titan but with an attrition style DPS check rather than a Patchwerk. The fight is largely on the backs of the DPS, they will either do their job or you will slowly lose the fight even if you're managing to tread water.

Issue is that there are a *lot* of really poor PF DPS, people literally pulling half the damage (or less) than they should be doing which is why pug experiences with Susano swing so widely.

MP is only as dire as these groups make it, although even in a poor group I don't know how you'd hit the ult phase with low mana like that unless multiple people are biting it before the transition, even on AST or SCH. WHM is tuned to have the highest throughput and longevity, so it is going to suffer somewhat less problems with core things like that regardless.

It boggles my mind that a DPS meter isn't implemented in the game. I know a lot of people complain about it, but that's the only way to figure out if you have a DPS that's literal trash and is holding the group back. Coming from WoW, a lot of the stuff that is standard seems to be absent from this game, but goddamn am I loving it. Hoping to get into a Savage group.

Berordn

It boggles my mind that a DPS meter isn't implemented in the game. I know a lot of people complain about it, but that's the only way to figure out if you have a DPS that's literal trash and is holding the group back. Coming from WoW, a lot of the stuff that is standard seems to be absent from this game, but goddamn am I loving it. Hoping to get into a Savage group.

If DPS becomes too visible to players, it suddenly becomes obvious which jobs aren't getting the TLC they need, and I think they might be trying to avoid that.

But it's really hard to try and guess what this development team is up to.

kromeo

Their reasoning is to try and discourage toxic behavior

It would be a welcome wake-up call to a lot of the player base. I've done some Sus ex parties where we wipe if I don't use every heavy cooldown (Ninja) I have on the sword. Hearing horror stories of people hitting enrage with over 20% hp left is crazy.

Trojita

Yoshi P wants to have his cake and eat it too. He wants a game that has had some sever dps checks to not have a way to check what a parties problem is.

If DPS becomes too visible to players, it suddenly becomes obvious which jobs aren't getting the TLC they need, and I think they might be trying to avoid that.

But it's really hard to try and guess what this development team is up to.

The people that would complain about job imbalances are going to be using a dps meter anyway.

Vic_Viper

Anyone have a good guide for how PVP works now? Is it the same format from before 4.0?

Never tried out PvP but now that im working on 4.0 content ive been alil curious. Just tried out my first match and it was alot of fun but I really had no idea what I was doing lol.

Also, it says I dont have room for anymore Tomestones. What should I buy for either my lvl 62 NIN or lvl 55 SAM currently? It doesnt seem like anything I can buy will really help me out accept maybe the lvl 60 gear for SAM.

And is there a good short Recap for Heavensward?

I'm learning now:
If the party fails with large pulls it's the tank's fault
If the party succeeds on a big pull it because dps was good and healer did their job.

Man :|

Berordn

The people that would complain about job imbalances are going to be using a dps meter anyway.

I mean, I'd rather have it. That information is useful to have on hand when DPS requirements actually are a thing, and having no official way to see it hasn't exactly stopped users from coming up with their own ways of checking.

I can just at least somewhat understand the desire to keep meter lords out of the game.

I'm learning now:
If the party fails with large pulls it's the tank's fault
If the party succeeds on a big pull it because dps was good and healer did their job.

Man :|

Well, it sort of makes sense. If party failed big pull, it means tank overpulled. If party wins, than it means dps and healers are up to snuff for such a pull.

That's sort of a trade off for insta queues for tank. They have a respondibility of a party leader. They gauge the team's performance and lead accordingly.

I'm having a lot of good Frontlines matches today, not a whole lot of people that are afk and the matches have all actually been fairly competitive. This is the first time I've played it since the EXP changes so I have to wonder if that's part of the reason why I seem to be having a better experience now since I assume that most of the people who were just there for the EXP have left to do other stuff.

Man I sure have been running into a lot of tanks trying show off their dicks in dungeons and pulling clearly too many mobs or not paying attention to the dps make up when large pulling.

And I don't mean Expert roulette tanks but tanks currently leveling and aren't equipped to tank third of the mobs in the first section of the dungeon in one go.

Setzer

If I come back to play this game I want to play as a Red Mage. Anyone here play one in FFXI and if so what do you think of the FFXIV version of it? From everything I've read and seen its not your typical FF Red Mage.

Berordn

Man I sure have been running into a lot of tanks trying show off their dicks in dungeons and pulling clearly too many mobs or not paying attention to the dps make up when large pulling.

And I don't mean Expert roulette tanks but tanks currently leveling and aren't equipped to tank third of the mobs in the first section of the dungeon in one go.

isn't it fun

you can just imagine how much fun the healers are having

so much fun

BlackJace

My first run of the level 67 dungeon was a tank pulling a Colossus and two trash mobs. Needless to say, we wiped and he had the nerve to blame my heals.

studyguy

tfw you throw on duty finder and have to wait 30 whole seconds to queue.
tfw you have to actually attack a few times instead of just flash
tfw you have too many material VI and nothing else to meld on

Really though, one would think they'd do more to entice tanks than throw free shit at them. Doesn't feel like this moves the needle much tbh.

Top Bottom