• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Shy Fingers

Banned
What about adding a a SSS clear requirement option to PFs? Quick way to not have a meter, but also lets people know they're not doing well enough.

studyguy

The original tank mounts feel like they were a decent reward.
They didn't require nearly as many runs as we do now to get though, it's way too high to feel like it makes a dent. Maybe some glamour rewards?

Materia VI feels kinda w/e

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Just finished leveling my tank yesterday and now I'm doing WHM so I missed out.

Did have a tank earlier that kept making dad jokes at every pull as if their survival depended on awkward silences.

I regret leveling my SMN/SCH first almost as much as I regretted leveling bard first in Heavensward unfortunately. Atleast it was 2 birds with 1 stone and fast queues I suppose.

Vic_Viper

Anyone have a good guide for how PVP works now? Is it the same format from before 4.0?

Never tried out PvP but now that im working on 4.0 content ive been alil curious. Just tried out my first match and it was alot of fun but I really had no idea what I was doing lol.

And is there a good short Recap for Heavensward?

rubius01

tfw you throw on duty finder and have to wait 30 whole seconds to queue.
tfw you have to actually attack a few times instead of just flash
tfw you have too many material VI and nothing else to meld on

Really though, one would think they'd do more to entice tanks than throw free shit at them. Doesn't feel like this moves the needle much tbh.

The reason why Itank is that I get to kill everyone

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Well that's not working.
No it's working as intended.

I have never seen toxic behavior regarding a player's DPS in-game because doing so is not only admitting that you're using a parser but your also using it to bother other players about their performance which is the very reason parser are technically not allowed.

iammeiam

I like big pulls. D:

And I don't think bribing tanks to LLDR is going to work when LLDR is basically mind-numbing tedium if you're synced low enough. Fix levelsync to suck less and roulettes for lower level dungeons won't be quite as unappealing.

What about adding a a SSS clear requirement option to PFs? Quick way to not have a meter, but also lets people know they're not doing well enough.

The SSS dummies are super inconsistent and don't provide a measure of ability to handle mechanics.

The biggest problem I've run into in Susano PFs isn't just that people are bad at their jobs, it's that they're bad at not dying to mechanics. Weakness cuts out a giant chunk of damage. Die again and Brink means you spend a substantial chunk of the fight doing 50% of what you'd normally do. I don't think I've had a no-death group enrage yet, not matter how shaky the DPS was; I have had groups that open really strong and end up as to-the-wire clears or enraged because of everyone gets greedy in the final phase. That's how you end up with tank and healer DPS often being the deciding factor in clear vs enrage (and is party of why I try to get as much damage as I can out in P1; it counts towards the overall enrage, and I might just flat out not have the free GCDs in the back half of the fight when I'm just trying to drag everyone to enrage.)

People also underestimate the value of healer LB3--it not giving people weakness when hey come back is a pretty big deal.

Honestly at this point I mostly wish the mandatory job quests would actually teach you your job and provide useful feedback. They could do meaningful DPS checks with mechanics, and not even require success to complete the quest, just have it unlock some neat novelty thing when you do.

Queued Duty Finder as a Dark Knight yesterday. Tam-Tara Deepcroft Normal. Got a Black Mage who just ran past the mobs, and said "We're doing this fast. Pick up the pace." I attempted to comply. On my third huge pull, everyone died. The Black Mage dropped. Got replaced by a Bard. I went back to pulling normally. Completed the dungeon with no further complaints.

I wonder if that was fast enough for that Black Mage?

Queued Duty Finder as a Dark Knight yesterday. Tam-Tara Deepcroft Normal. Got a Black Mage who just ran past the mobs, and said "We're doing this fast. Pick up the pace." I attempted to comply. On my third huge pull, everyone died. The Black Mage dropped. Got replaced by a Bard. I went back to pulling normally. Completed the dungeon with no further complaints.

Shame quits are fun.

scy

I had to use lucid dreaming before the phase transition!

I mean, I basically pop Lucid shortly into the pull to get it back during sword since otherwise it means losing a use in the fight. Basically the moment I'm not wasting the MP return from it, it might as well be in use.

SCH only really struggles with MP when it's out of CDs and needs to heal a lot, which is actually nothing new. They probably should bring the MP cost of Succor (and maybe Adloquium) back down because that's really all we have for emergency GCD healing, and they're very inefficient spells. MP is completely fine in controlled situations.

"Controlled situations" basically gets it all I think; I try to vent MP a lot with WHM but it's really just spot rezzing and being bad at Cure 3 timing that eats MP. I dunno. I just like to throw rocks.

My first run of the level 67 dungeon was a tank pulling a Colossus and two trash mobs. Needless to say, we wiped and he had the nerve to blame my heals.

Like, the two other packs or just the next set of guards (or is this the post first-boss colossus)? Leveling all three tanks I basically doubled / tripled up every pull since nothing was too bad, though this was the dungeon I started doing it less simply because the distances to pull were worse. Doing WHM through them recently wasn't too bad, mostly griping on the tanks who didn't pull big or the ones who didn't seem to like to use Hallowed/Living Dead/Holmgang while pulling big.

Really, the biggest problem I had were the tanks who combined pulls in the dumbest of ways. Please, no, don't try to take everything after first boss in the 67 dungeon into the gatlings. It's a mile long run, you didn't even Sprint, and you tanked the fucking cannon shots too. Do the first two and then combine the two cannon sets, that's fine, but ffs why 3-1.

Are bigger pulls faster?

Yes, but they require everybody to know what they're doing. Tanks using defensive cooldowns to allow the healer to actually squeeze some aoe dps in is a big one. Also the dps need to actually use their buffs and aoe skills instead of single target.

studyguy

It's even better when the tank realizes that the healer probably isn't up for bigger pulls, doesn't and the DPS run ahead and drag something back so everyone dies anyway.

Feels great man.

Berordn

I manage to keep up when this happens, but I definitely have to use a lot more of my abilities than before during trash.

My issue is the tanks in DF who just pick everything up with no announcement or thought to it. If I have to sit there spamming Cure/Benefic II every GCD because the tank is about to die, we're wasting a ton of time to kill stuff that I could've been participating in otherwise.

Luminaire

Any ASTs able to keep the tank alive on the 2nd all out massive pull of Temple of the Fist? After the first wall our tank pulls literally everything including the mobs after the wall. For some reason I can't keep him alive through it all no matter how I do it. Lady, star, bole, largeeesed AB+AH, lightspeed benefic 2s, ED when needed, and he still takes more damage than each heal gives.

I'm talking everything by the way. From the bottom of the stairs to the wall before the boss, including all the mobs that come from it.

studyguy

Any ASTs able to keep the tank alive on the 2nd all out massive pull of Temple of the Fist? After the first wall our tank pulls literally everything including the mobs after the wall. For some reason I can't keep him alive through it all no matter how I do it. Lady, star, bole, largeeesed AB+AH, lightspeed benefic 2s, ED when needed, and he still takes more damage than each heal gives.

I'm talking everything by the way. From the bottom of the stairs to the wall before the boss, including all the mobs that come from it.

That's a long ass pull.

Bebpo

Banned
I like big pulls. D:

And I don't think bribing tanks to LLDR is going to work when LLDR is basically mind-numbing tedium if you're synced low enough. Fix levelsync to suck less and roulettes for lower level dungeons won't be quite as unappealing.

The SSS dummies are super inconsistent and don't provide a measure of ability to handle mechanics.

The biggest problem I've run into in Susano PFs isn't just that people are bad at their jobs, it's that they're bad at not dying to mechanics. Weakness cuts out a giant chunk of damage. Die again and Brink means you spend a substantial chunk of the fight doing 50% of what you'd normally do. I don't think I've had a no-death group enrage yet, not matter how shaky the DPS was; I have had groups that open really strong and end up as to-the-wire clears or enraged because of everyone gets greedy in the final phase. That's how you end up with tank and healer DPS often being the deciding factor in clear vs enrage (and is party of why I try to get as much damage as I can out in P1; it counts towards the overall enrage, and I might just flat out not have the free GCDs in the back half of the fight when I'm just trying to drag everyone to enrage.)

People also underestimate the value of healer LB3--it not giving people weakness when hey come back is a pretty big deal.

Honestly at this point I mostly wish the mandatory job quests would actually teach you your job and provide useful feedback. They could do meaningful DPS checks with mechanics, and not even require success to complete the quest, just have it unlock some neat novelty thing when you do.

Yeah, the change in weakness is going to bring a lot more long fights and fights dying to enrage rather than wipe due to the major DPS hit on tougher fights. I'm assuming this is working as how the devs intended it to try to bring more challenge, but it just brings more reliance on your party members not dying since like you said as long as people don't die and get the weakness penalty, bosses are flexible on quality of DPS being done.

I sure would not want to do Odin now.

Omni

Are you using our bubble? At the start of the pull when everything groups up together, try and get the regen on the tank ASAP. I'll throw an aspected benefic, and aspected helios on top of that and extend all three with time dilation. Haven't checked recently but all three at i270 and level 60 ticked together for about 5k. Helps a lot! Throw in the star and celestial opposition to stun everything (also extend regens by 10 seconds if needed) and you should be okay.

Synastry is still super good too. Try to hold onto that and largeese or whatever until later on in the pull (not at the same time though, IMO) when the tank's CDs are out. Might have to resort to a bit of heal spam here and there but you should be able to alternate gravity and benefic II, even on the bigger pulls

scy

I used to do that pull (WAR, DRK) with an AST healer but it always ended up with DPS single target on the wall to spawn the 6 oozes and then AoEing so I just started to split it instead. It's manageable if people just AoE from the start and pick up the oozes as they spawn since at least this usually meant the first few mobs started to die and get replaced but the full 14 mob pull is a bit much to tank all at once, especially when half the pull is beating on you while you effectively are waiting for the second half to even spawn :|

R0ckman

Well now he gets to sit there and deal with a leave penalty. So ultimately he got nothing out of the stupid antic.

studyguy

Well now he gets to sit there and deal with a leave penalty. So ultimately he got nothing out of the stupid antic.

Pretty much, waste 30m in queue to waste another 30m of your life so you can re-queue for another 30m.

I mean I always figure if I get booted as a tank by people then it's no sweat off my brow, my queues are instant. I feel bad for DPS who are just doing their jobs when another DPS fucks things up for the party.

iammeiam

There are more posts now but I'm too lazy to quote.

^---Means I have to have healed it at some point, but it doesn't stand out as super memorable. I run Noct and I think I remember it being one of the rare occasions I bothered to AB mid-pull, but beyond that it was mostly standard stuff. Drop star on the wall to start the countdown before the pull is finished, largesse and AB, Collective into celestial, get a couple Gravities out, hope the tank has dropped to critical for max benefit from ED into AB, more Gravity, pop Star, AB again. Depending on what if anything has died then it may or may not be lighstpeed time.

But like 90% of my dungeon strategy is just relying on the stupid OPness of AST shields. The other 10% is wishing I had Holy.

RK9039

We need all tanks to go on strike and see how far we can push this

No more queues for anyone until our demands are met

100 extra verity and a random omega piece drop for EXDR, 30 extra capped currency for trial roulette. And free dental coverage

I want some more beard options for my tank.

Been on strike since earlier this week, feels good. I've just been doing PvP to get some Verity.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
How the hell do I manage big pulls while levelling DRK, anyway? Paladin if I ran out of cooldowns something was seriously wrong with the dps but DRK feels like I'm running out much faster and resorting to dark arts abyssal or something; Living Dead in particular is the most awkward nonsense.I haven't done anything outside Sophia EX on this class in two years and all I got from watching Gryvan and Danix do anything was 'afk while watching SGDQ' and 'start talking about how Caim was a very empathetic character midpull'.

Luminaire

Are you using our bubble? At the start of the pull when everything groups up together, try and get the regen on the tank ASAP. I'll throw an aspected benefic, and aspected helios on top of that and extend all three with time dilation. Haven't checked recently but all three at i270 and level 60 ticked together for about 5k. Helps a lot! Throw in the star and celestial opposition to stun everything (also extend regens by 10 seconds if needed) and you should be okay.

Synastry is still super good too. Try to hold onto that and largeese or whatever until later on in the pull (not at the same time though, IMO) when the tank's CDs are out. Might have to resort to a bit of heal spam here and there but you should be able to alternate gravity and benefic II, even on the bigger pulls

He's usually dying when the tank CDs are gone, Theyre destroying him faster than I can heal him even with regens up. I'll try spacing some things out further and save my stun for a little later. I'll see if he will run it with me tonight. It's only the second time we've done the full 14 pull so I know things can be improved.

Thanks all~

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I remember when I did Doma Castle with some first timers and healer was like "we can big pull" and I said "uuuh okay".

I got crushed with all my cooldowns and healer couldn't keep up. Then I had to tell them that big pulls are very risky at 65 and above because the damage just spikes and people are undergeared.

studyguy

I want some more beard options for my tank.

Been on strike since earlier this week, feels good. I've just been doing PvP to get some Verity.

NO TANKING TILL HIGHLANDERS GET FUCKING EYEBRROWS.
Seriously, give us fucking eyebrows, we know you forgot to do it but retroactively giving us lore reasons for it and a tattoo of eyebrows that look like caterpillars doesn't help.

scy

How the hell do I manage big pulls while levelling DRK, anyway? Paladin if I ran out of cooldowns something was seriously wrong with the dps but DRK feels like I'm running out much faster and resorting to dark arts abyssal or something; Living Dead in particular is the most awkward nonsense.I haven't done anything outside Sophia EX on this class in two years and all I got from watching Gryvan and Danix do anything was 'afk while watching SGDQ' and 'start talking about how Caim was a very empathetic character midpull'.

Mostly apathy after awhile as you realize your next real cooldown button is at 70.

DAAD is basically your only other tool so it's mostly on the group. DRK 61-70 felt the worst of the three tanks as it had the worst cooldown suite and the weakest sense of agency on your own survival.

komaruR

I remember when I did Doma Castle with some first timers and healer was like "we can big pull" and I said "uuuh okay".

I got crushed with all my cooldowns and healer couldn't keep up. Then I had to tell them that big pulls are very risky at 65 and above because the damage just spikes and people are undergeared.
All the lv61 dungeon ive been during lv roul the tank just do big pulls. Im fine with big pulls but mainly the concern if the dps might not be there and i cant keep him up forever.
So far i wasnt havent much trouble as whm since im use to it.

Aeana

These AST MP tips for Susano for Tiv will help Tramain and I tank in DPS stances!
I don't have trouble managing MP. In fact, my post basically said if you're having trouble managing MP as an AST, you're bad, because you have so many tools available. I only lamented that people dying is still a massive MP drain, and that AST DPS spells are expensive.

RK9039

NO TANKING TILL HIGHLANDERS GET FUCKING EYEBRROWS.
Seriously, give us fucking eyebrows, we know you forgot to do it but retroactively giving us lore reasons for it and a tattoo of eyebrows that look like caterpillars doesn't help.

YEAH, WHERE'S MA FOOKIN EYEBROWS?

Good thing I have a visor on at the moment.

If both DPS use their aoe rotations, sure.

If single target still, lol

I queued with tanks where the DPS was single target only. Like why are you making my life harder for absolutely no reason.
There are more posts now but I'm too lazy to quote.

^---Means I have to have healed it at some point, but it doesn't stand out as super memorable. I run Noct and I think I remember it being one of the rare occasions I bothered to AB mid-pull, but beyond that it was mostly standard stuff. Drop star on the wall to start the countdown before the pull is finished, largesse and AB, Collective into celestial, get a couple Gravities out, hope the tank has dropped to critical for max benefit from ED into AB, more Gravity, pop Star, AB again. Depending on what if anything has died then it may or may not be lighstpeed time.

But like 90% of my dungeon strategy is just relying on the stupid OPness of AST shields. The other 10% is wishing I had Holy.

PoM Thin air holy spam is my favorite DPS rotation in the game.

iammeiam

I think the responses were largely about pre-ult Lucid and the way it lines up with the fight itself trivializing AST DPS spell cost during the nothing to heal section if the fight; free MP is free MP.

Haly

There are no delta farm parties on party finder at all. Did everyone move to duty finder?

As a tank, I had no uses for "farm parties" because my queues were instant anyway. All the PF provides is drama and lootmaster scams.

Jayhawk

I don't have trouble managing MP. In fact, my post basically said if you're having trouble managing MP as an AST, you're bad, because you have so many tools available. I only lamented that people dying is still a massive MP drain, and that AST DPS spells are expensive.

Hmm, people dying

Haly

V6Qp40v.png

ebil

I have never been able to trigger Living Dead while leveling DRK from 60 to 70. Closest I got was hitting 20 HP at the 2s mark, being healed because ???, and dying during the next GCD. DF Healers rarely pay attention or even know how it works.

But yeah, DRK has a rough leveling process compared to the other two.

Jayhawk

If it's you and tramain I kind of assumed you'd just be shirking the DPS to see what happened.

I actually start the fight as MT because Tramain wants to DPS. Then I switch to Deliverance and get killed by mini-buster because Rampart isn't enough. Don't worry though, I have my Odoru Shirk macro already prepared.

I never had a problem yet in that dungeon and the tank pulls everything. Are you using Nocturnal sect?

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF

Why the hell was a DPS running ahead of the tank and initiating large pulls? Idiot.

Besides, large pulls aren't all that viable for very early dungeons because most jobs don't have AoE skills at that point. Depending on the party, large pulls at low levels might just be making the tank take more damage.

Kenai

After barely scraping by in 70 dungeons on low gear it was refreshing (and a little weird) to have such an easier time with MP on the primals. But since I haven't been in a farm pt yet that isn't getting farmed by the boss at least part of the time, I have been pretty chill about just keeping up my DoT and eyeballing how much I can actually get away with Malefic spam. It's still not what I would call a great time vs actually healing, but I will reiterate that it's way better than it was.

Top Bottom