• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Ok, some thoughts so far on this game. I am only focusing on the MSQ and so far I'm loving it. I was worried that the story would be subpar compared to Heavensward but no, its actually even better. For some reason, the themes of race, imperialism, nationalism reminds me so much of the Witcher minus the sex scenes. Furthermore, the voice acting seems to be better.

The Eastern theme of Hingashi and Doma is complements the Western themes in Eorzea.

I'm looking forward to the Return to Ivalice 24 man raid.

Yeah, they haven't given any news on that for a long time now.

Maybe next live letter?

the_id

Yeah, they haven't given any news on that for a long time now.

Maybe next live letter?

According to the encyclopaedia, both Dalmasca and Doma were conquered by the Empire at the same time. My guess would be that the 24 men alliance is us trying to liberate Dalmasca and Ivalice as a whole. That would be epic.

Yeah, a good chunk of ARR is essentially reintroducing Eorzea to the player and remaking the Alliance.
Once you get into the mid-40s, you get on the roller coaster.

Just mainline the main story quests. After Heavensward came out, they revamped the original MSQ to give a ton of EXP to fast track people to Heavenswars.

Don’t worry about gear, your gear gets replaced through rewards for completing the main story. Gear rewards basically only matter for endgame content.

Also, I hated ARR and most of the 2.X patches, but the later 2.X content and Heavensward get pretty good. So, it gets better.

That's good to know. I was losing my mind doing some of these quests

According to the encyclopaedia, both Dalmasca and Doma were conquered by the Empire at the same time. My guess would be that the 24 men alliance is us trying to liberate Dalmasca and Ivalice as a whole. That would be epic.

That is a possibility.

I just hope that if they do in fact do that that they crank up the scale by 10. I don't want to see any "armies" consisting of like five grunts.

Give us something that actually looks like a large scale battle between dozens/hundreds of troops.

Ruff

Does anyone care about these level 50 mobs I see randomly in the areas while I'm leveling? I'm assuming they're for hunts and wonder if I should shout them out for anyone?

dramatis

That is a possibility.

I just hope that if they do in fact do that that they crank up the scale by 10. I don't want to see any "armies" consisting of like five grunts.

Give us something that actually looks like a large scale battle between dozens/hundreds of troops.
So what you're saying is you want Dynasty Warriors: FF14

MikeBison

Posted in the wrong thread in a tired stupor last night, but Lakshmi Ex really is easy with decent tanks. I hate the single tank strategy though. They tend to not VRIL the tank buster and the fight goes south very quickly.

They already are; you just need a group (4+) to take them down fast enough to be worthwhile. People are starting to run them in Yanxia and the Azim Steppe.

I don't just mean new areas. New areas are 60+ which is still better in PVP, even with the exp nerf. I meant pre 60. I am really tired of potD but it's only way to level pre-60

Blitzhex

Join a nice group, all dps doing 3.7k-3.2k dps, tank doing 2.3k, 2 mounts drop in 3 runs. Force logout -> server goes offline group disappears.
Thanks square enix.

IvorB

I don't just mean new areas. New areas are 60+ which is still better in PVP, even with the exp nerf. I meant pre 60. I am really tired of potD but it's only way to level pre-60

Wait... how is it the only way to level pre-60? Personally, I don't know how people deal with levelling exclusively through PotD. That would be pretty mind-numbing.

Wait... how is it the only way to level pre-60? Personally, I don't know how people deal with levelling exclusively through PotD. That would be pretty mind-numbing.
Because PVP got nerfed and dungeon queues are a pain for DPS
The next group I joined after server came back, someone tried to sneak a bonus into the farm group and it disbanded. It's all downhill from here.
Susano and Lakshmi have taught me to never give bonus people a chance if they don't ask for it before we go into the duty server. I don't mind helping people out if they explain their situation but try and sneak that shit in and I'm gone immediatly plus blacklisting said bonus if he's on my server.

IvorB

Because PVP got nerfed and dungeon queues are a pain for DPS.

It may be the fastest way but it's not the only way. You can still use PvP, Dungeons, FATES, hunts, challenge log etc. If people are feeling burt out on PotD they only have themselves to blame.

MikeBison

Because PVP got nerfed and dungeon queues are a pain for DPS

Susano and Lakshmi have taught me to never give bonus people a chance if they don't ask for it before we go into the duty server. I don't mind helping people out if they explain their situation but try and sneak that shit in and I'm gone immediatly plus blacklisting said bonus if he's on my server.

I joined a party last night who asked for people who had cleared, said I hadn't but knew the strategy and didn't need anything explaining to me, just asked that we set some pairs for confuse and they said fuck it, we'll try it (presumably would have been kicked if we flopped) and we cleared first time.

Azriell

I'm pretty new to the game. I want to get in to crafting/harvesting for times when I'm not leveling with my wife. I've tried looking at the MB to see which DotH/L are useful, but at this level it's pretty overwhelming.

In general, are there DotH classes which are typically thought of as more profitable or more useful than others?

Are DotL classes primarily there to fuel your own crafting, or can you make a decent living selling stuff, too?

Regarding gil, is it even something people really think about in this game? If gear comes from dungeons and other events, I can't really imagine why people would need money. What is it that higher level players are buying? And is 70 the only space to think about when looking to who to sell to?

MikeBison

I'm pretty new to the game. I want to get in to crafting/harvesting for times when I'm not leveling with my wife. I've tried looking at the MB to see which DotH/L are useful, but at this level it's pretty overwhelming.

In general, are there DotH classes which are typically thought of as more profitable or more useful than others?

Are DotL classes primarily there to fuel your own crafting, or can you make a decent living selling stuff, too?

Regarding gil, is it even something people really think about in this game? If gear comes from dungeons and other events, I can't really imagine why people would need money. What is it that higher level players are buying? And is 70 the only space to think about when looking to who to sell to?

If there's one thing i've learnt, is that every item in this game can sell. No matter how old or considered useless. I just started blacksmithing and would throw the crap I'm making, bronze daggers or whatever onto the MB just to clear my inventory and they actually sell.

The other day I wanted to clean the FC house chocobo stable out and realised I didn't have a broom. I had to buy 37 of them mind you. Which in turn I put 36 of them back onto the MB and they sold pretty quickly.

I joined a party last night who asked for people who had cleared, said I hadn't but knew the strategy and didn't need anything explaining to me, just asked that we set some pairs for confuse and they said fuck it, we'll try it (presumably would have been kicked if we flopped) and we cleared first time.
If the bonus player explains and ask to give them a chance I'll always do at the very least one pull.

I'm just saying, if someone can't even bother to come out and admit they have a bonus when asked how am I supposed to trust these people can actually do the fight? It just reeks of shite players and 90% of the time they actually are.

MikeBison

If the bonus player explains and ask to give them a chance I'll always do at the very least one pull.

I'm just saying, if someone can't even bother to come out and admit they have a bonus when asked how am I supposed to trust these people can actually do the fight? It just reeks of shite players and 90% of the time they actually are.

Yeah for sure, I get the feeling loads of people want to try and coast by, not pulling their weight within raids but scooping up the rewards.

dramatis

Crafting doesn't have to be a thing you do for money in the game, overall it's usually something people do because there is an element of fun to it.

I'm not sure if this has changed with Stormblood, but for DoH you usually start by getting certain classes up to level 15 to get their special abilities and then cross-class them so making HQ items becomes easier.

Usually you'd level gatherers so that you have a 'free' supply of items to feed your crafting leveling. Unfortunately, gatherers are a bit tedious to level between 1-50, so it's up to you if you want to start with that first.

Nobody actually needs money except for raiders, who spend on food (Culinarian) and potions (Alchemy). All other expenditures are glamours, minions, and furniture. So nothing major.

So what you're saying is you want Dynasty Warriors: FF14

Yeah in a 24 man raid you could definitely have something kind of like that.

I want to storm a crowded battlefield with a Soken version of this playing in the background.

Plays better than the actual Summoner for sure.

Next xpac they will be able to summon ninja dogs. They could probably throw in a nine tailed fox or something too.

everybodyman

Neo Member
Does anyone know when Tonberry will be open again for new characters? I bought the base game 2 weeks ago and I heard Tonberry was the preferred world for Aussies but so far its been closed 24/7 and my subscription days are ticking away.

kromeo

There are some things, like housing items that can make good money with very little effort once your crafters are levelled. The problem with gathering is that the mb is flooded with huge amounts of everything and prices are only decent on new items after an update. You'll also get undercut almost immediately on most stuff

MikeBison

Does anyone know when Tonberry will be open again for new characters? I bought the base game 2 weeks ago and I heard Tonberry was the preferred world for Aussies but so far its been closed 24/7 and my subscription days are ticking away.

Weeks? Months? Never?

One of the other servers is slowly becoming an unofficial Aussie server, can't remember which one. But you have no chance of making a char on tonberry any time soon.

Well, for DPS classes it is. When a single dungeon takes upwards of 40 minutes of waiting time, you spend 60% of play time just waiting to get to leveling. In PotD problem is absent. Technically frontlines is also fine, but pre60 exp there is not worth the trouble, even pre nerf.

Korezo

How do you play drk now? With blood price changes I feel like I can't do nothing in dungeons. Before I use to just pull a bunch of waves then blood price and DA Abyssal Drain. I feel worthless now.

Panda Rin

Weeks? Months? Never?

One of the other servers is slowly becoming an unofficial Aussie server, can't remember which one. But you have no chance of making a char on tonberry any time soon.

Kujata is the other unofficial server. I'm in an FC with 300 others - started only last week.

kromeo

How do you play drk now? With blood price changes I feel like I can't do nothing in dungeons. Before I use to just pull a bunch of waves then blood price and DA Abyssal Drain. I feel worthless now.

Siphon strike restores more mp now so use that when you can. You get delirium at 62 i tjink which restores mp as well

You can make ok money as a pure gatherer but you will make a lot more if you craft. Like, a *lot* more.

You need gil for things like crafted gear if you're raiding, stat boosting consumables like potions and food, and just vanity items in general. If you value the look of your character then at some point odds are you'll be investing in some glamour gear and that costs gil. Some of it is really expensive depending on how rare the materials are. Minions, Orchestrion rolls, mounts, etc. Outside of teleport and repair costs you technically don't need gil for anything vital, but the deeper you get into the game the more you'll want.

As for how you make money as a low level, try checking around to see what sells frequently. Silver ore for example is a really low level miner item that's still used at 70 occasionally. High level players don't want to gather it themselves so they just buy it off the market. You can make a bit of money there. Higher level stuff will sell for more, but less often. There's money to be made in consistently selling low level materials.

IvorB

So a friend of mine bought the game after playing the free trial ages ago. When he is trying to log in his email address is not being recognised even though he is sure it's the right one. Anyone have any experience with this or a solution?

The blood price nerf made me cry. It doesn't start to feel right until you get the trait that makes it build blood per hit and at least charge quietus your aoe move (which you shouldn't dark arts, just use mp for abyssal when your 3+ enemies). But yeah, sipheon gives a full dark arts worth of mp under grit now which while great in boss content, doesn't make the bloop price change any easier to accept in trash dungeon pulls.

But trust me, it gets alot better at 68 and 70. At that point you are planning shield/blood usage with mp and it clicks.

wamberz1

After the unleash buff (it gives more enmity) I've been pulling, using that 4-6 times, then dropping grit and using BW+TBN+Queitus+DP(if I have mana overflow)+AD spam and I've been getting some pretty good results.

The 2 changes in playstyle that I really needed to get through my head are:

1) Use SS if I have low MP in group pulls, BP simply isn't gonna cut it anymore

2) Never use DP unless suffering from mana overflow

Omni

Ugh, DRK. I grinded out a relic and learnt to tank almost all of Alex Savage on it because I loved the way it played in 3.x

Tried doing a level 60 dungeon the other day and it was so awful. They absolutely gutted this job with 4.0. With the way it stands I'm not even gonna bother to level it to 70. Or any other tank for that matter. I know it supposedly gets better at 70 but initial impressions were so off-putting that I have no motivation at all to touch it again

;___;

wamberz1

Ugh, DRK. I grinded out a relic and learnt to tank almost all of Alex Savage on it because I loved the way it played in 3.x

Tried doing a level 60 dungeon the other day and it was so awful. They absolutely gutted this job with 4.0. With the way it stands I'm not even gonna bother to level it to 70. Or any other tank for that matter. I know it supposedly gets better at 70 but initial impressions were so off-putting that I have no motivation at all to touch it again

;___;
Yeah, I would say until enhanced blackblood it feels awful.Then TBN Brings it all together.

But like I said, once you realize how important relying on SS and dropping grit is for MP now, it helps get over that blood price nerf hump.

Arkeband

Banned
Old world mount speed increases being tied to seals that now only drop through old world hunts is pretty awful. Old world hunts drop Verity and Centurio, there's no reason HW and SB hunts can't drop some Allied seals.

MogCakes

Susano is so annoying. Churn + cloud brightstorm marker is essentially a death sentence unless you cheat the system and use a gap closer right as susano pushes you backwards, and even then the chances of the churn going off anyway are high. It is infuriating trying to survive that mechanic. If I wait then the brightstorm will go off and kill me before people can stack. If I try to run then the churn will inevitably go off and the brightstorm will kill me. FUCK that mechanic, I hope the fight's designer has explosive diarrhea for the next 6 months.

atmuh

Old world mount speed increases being tied to seals that now only drop through old world hunts is pretty awful. Old world hunts drop Verity and Centurio, there's no reason HW and SB hunts can't drop some Allied seals.
it's worse if you're shouting for a hunt ls invite for days and don't get a single one

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Susano is so annoying. Churn + cloud brightstorm marker is essentially a death sentence unless you cheat the system and use a gap closer right as susano pushes you backwards, and even then the chances of the churn going off anyway are high. It is infuriating trying to survive that mechanic. If I wait then the brightstorm will go off and kill me before people can stack. If I try to run then the churn will inevitably go off and the brightstorm will kill me. FUCK that mechanic, I hope the fight's designer has explosive diarrhea for the next 6 months.

I mean, you just get knocked back into the nearby wall and then you have like 3 feet to move to 'stack'? Either to the west or north depending on the cloud position.

ebil

;___;
I like how new DRKs from now on are going to be told "wait until 68/70, then it gets better". Uuuuh, sure. I'm confident it'll feel better even at lower levels after a tweaking pass (mainly for Dark Passenger, maybe a slight CD reduction on Shadow Wall or some Dark Mind love?). At 70 it plays fine for the most part, it's the leveling part that is disheartening.

I thought you can't get churn + line at the same time unless someone was dead at the time?

iammeiam

I mean, you just get knocked back into the nearby wall and then you have like 3 feet to move to 'stack'? Either to the west or north depending on the cloud position.
Does this happen twice in the fight? The only time I remember churning+knockback+stack, there's not even a cloud to worry about.

It's one of the few problem-solving spots in the fight, in that the solution is more than just reacting to telegraphs as by the time Brightstorm happens it's too late to position, and it's the one I see PF get wrong the most. Just get knocked less far back, npnp. Then you can either make it back in time or the party can shift to max melee range for the split without any downtime.

If I can figure out who it is sometimes I can get a heal off between churning and the stack mechanic and it's survivable, and I think once tome weapons hit it might be possible to just consistently shield the knockback into not happening.

Or the healers could take Rescue but I'm like 90% sure if I do that I'll forget to put Esuna back before O4 and it will be sad times.

Top Bottom