• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

eliza0224

I don't know how the hell did y'all clear Susano Ex. Everything's fine until it's health is at <50%, then people start fucking uppp :(

RDM at 67. I don't like pvp so I've been leveling it through dungeons with only a 10 minute queue.

...I miss my rested bonus :( Probably gonna level MNK next to make sure I get rid of all this striking gear.

kagamin

If I'm too late on adjusting I'd rather drop the lightning on myself and second wind then put mantra up and hope I survive the stack if it's one of the later ones lol

Squishy3

Having just embarked on the Susano journey today and learning it from scratch, that feel when you aren't topped up before your lightning drops on you after someone else drops lightning on you. ;_;

iammeiam

If I'm too late on adjusting I'd rather drop the lightning on myself and second wind then put mantra up and hope I survive the stack if it's one of the later ones lol

The biggest problem/adjustment for in Susano overall was realizing the guy who screws up Levinbolt lightning is usually not the guy who's going to die. The issue is usually the double-tap, and the guy who gets the next marker is going to bite it even if he dodges correctly unless he gets healed before. This is extra bad if it's a healer getting hit the second time, since a lot of times the other healer won't be prepared to handle solo healing Ukehi or whatever.

During some of the later patterns, targeting the right person before the second zap can get awkward, so once I see the party get hit the first time I just start AOE overhealing until I'm sure everyone's out of danger. That way if the next guy screws up too I'm already mid-cast to cover it.

There are still people you can't save--people who get punted across the map with the stack marker and churn, people who stand in the Rasen things, whatever--but seriously if the healers just expect everyone to screw up constantly it becomes a lot more manageable.

I finally got around to doing Susano with a like... actual premade group for the first time yesterday and learned you can actually skip stuff in P1? I thought it was all timed.

Squishy3

I finally got around to doing Susano with a like... actual premade group for the first time yesterday and learned you can actually skip stuff in P1? I thought it was all timed.
Yeah, it pushes into sword phase at 79%, like Nidhogg phases into adds at 79. Not like there's actually anything threatening in the first phase, he just does pushback+stack, introduces you to churning and baiting the lightning cloud.

kagamin

Luckily I don't get hit with churn at all really but it sucks for the people who keep wanting to ignore it, stop being impatient SAMs, you don't have a timer ticking down like me lol.

iammeiam

TBH I think if I go in with a premade again I want to see if we can get away with ignoring churn. It's never fatal, it's just the short window to heal back up before stack. But if it's planned, might be able to work around it? I dunno. Seems worth trying.

Nope, you can force P2 at 7something%, skipping the last tank buster

Yeah, we found that out last night when he finished the second Brightstorm animation, disappeared, and everyone started raging about lost procs/cooldowns/etc.

TBH I think if I go in with a premade again I want to see if we can get away with ignoring churn. It's never fatal, it's just the short window to heal back up before stack. But if it's planned, might be able to work around it? I dunno. Seems worth trying.
You can completely ignore churn in P1 if your healers are up to speed

iammeiam

You can completely ignore churn in P1 if your healers are up to speed

Yeah, I'm mostly curious about the rasen + churn + rasen and churn+knockback in final phase. Seems doable, but also maybe a thing to sit on Lightspeed and Largesse for.

P1 I kind of suspect you could literally ignore everything; I think the entire pre-sword phase is sub-15-GCDs of healing from both healers combined.

Yeah, I'm mostly curious about the rasen + churn + rasen and churn+knockback in final phase. Seems doable, but also maybe a thing to sit on Lightspeed and Largesse for.

P1 I kind of suspect you could literally ignore everything; I think the entire pre-sword phase is sub-15-GCDs of healing from both healers combined.
Sub 15? I think I need like 5 heal casts tops

I am going to be re-subbing to play through the new content since HW, and if anyone has me on their friends list (under Cat Skratch) on Ultros and wants to try the Invite a Friend to Return promotion, please go ahead. I think I will need to rejoin the FC but I'll do that once I get back in the game as I'm downloading everything now. Thanks again!

Churn is incredibly hard to ignore if he knocks you back for the stack mechanic. I use corps a corps and then I feel like i'm okay but incompetent healers always get me killed. I can try swiftcasting vercure but i'm not sure if it will heal in time before I die.

iammeiam

Churn is incredibly hard to ignore if he knocks you back for the stack mechanic. I use corps a corps and then I feel like i'm okay but incompetent healers always get me killed. I can try swiftcasting vercure but i'm not sure if it will heal in time before I die.

If you're doing the churn+knockback right (take it to the wall next to Susan so you move all of 5 feet and can walk back post-churn-falling-off for the stack), you don't take damage from anything aside from the stack part and so don't need a heal.

You definitely don't want to voluntarily eat churn without checking with the healers first, since they have no reason to be prepared to heal somebody through it in a random PF, and if the party is going to eat churn for max DPS the short knock back is more important than ever to keep you in AOE healing range.

It's kind of amazing how 90% of my DPSs always forget about that Chancla-powered Stortham in the tail end of the Lakshmi fight

She's burning with fuming dark flames people. Vrill the fuck up for every mechanic she does.

R0ckman

It's kind of amazing how 90% of my DPSs always forget about that Chancla-powered Stortham in the tail end of the Lakshmi fight

She's burning with fuming dark flames people. Vrill the fuck up for every mechanic she does.

Flashes start to hypnotize them and they zone our?

Squishy3

... we clear and then all of a sudden everyone stops moving with the lightning bolt

on the bright side, thank you for whoever designed susano for letting me keep BOTD 100% of the time. the only time where there's kind of a danger of it falling off is if you get gaoled, but you don't need to manually pop BOTD at any point after Susano comes back from the sword phase

Camping for Ixion is a huge waste of time and yet I've spent like 15 hours doing it the past couple of days. I'm not entirely sure why I keep doing it considering I don't even like the mount that much.

MikeBison

Tbf if you're healing, then you're further away. Being in melee range, all the aoes, plus her colour, plus those huge gold blasts, plus everyone else up in your grill, plus keeping an eye on your rotations, plus forgetfullness and it's easily done. Healing means you've got a better perspective over the fight.

Still, once its happened once you should know it's coming.

I appreciate healers who macro a vril vril vril!!' Shout when she's casting it ha. Saved me from the time I nearly forgot until the last second.

Also I think it's because you don't have to VRIL that move up until the last phase and everyone is in maximum deeps mode.

MikeBison

Camping for Ixion is a huge waste of time and yet I've spent like 15 hours doing it the past couple of days. I'm not entirely sure why I keep doing it considering I don't even like the mount that much.

Same. The other night I spent like 10 hours as I was sure it was coming, but nope. I work 6 days a week so just need to accept I'll never have it.

Similarly, 12 clears of lakshmi and not even seen a doggo, let alone rolled high enough for one.

Edzi

Everyone talking about Susano ex has me really excited to try it. Playing through this expansion with people who aren't completely over geared for the content has been a blast so far.

Atolm

I'm getting the HW eagles while everyone chases the doggos. So far I have Ravana and Bismarck. The struggle begins now.

In my Susano ex runs the wipes most happen for these reasons:

DPS is too busy getting MAX DEEPS and gets everyone lightning bolted, then the next dps half derps and gets everyone lightning bolted. At this point one of the healers die putting an incredible amount of stress on the surviving healer that must ensure everyone stays alive during Ukehis and the incoming tank buster. As someone who only plays healer this is the worst fucking thing.

Thunder cloud appears exactly in front of Susano or directly behind confusing the targeted person and causing them to line up the lighting bolt exactly in the safe zone.

Tanks being slow on the uptake during the sword block and the raid gets hit by an orb and a healer is always the one to die as a result.

Off tank gets killed during the tank buster cleave. I have no idea how exactly they manage this but I've seen it happen quite a bit.

eliza0224

Everyone talking about Susano ex has me really excited to try it. Playing through this expansion with people who aren't completely over geared for the content has been a blast so far.
Won't be so fun when you've tried it a hundred times!

jk it's a fun fight, just frustrating to die when someone fucks it up and you've been fine ;-;

Tbf if you're healing, then you're further away. Being in melee range, all the aoes, plus her colour, plus those huge gold blasts, plus everyone else up in your grill, plus keeping an eye on your rotations, plus forgetfullness and it's easily done. Healing means you've got a better perspective over the fight.

Still, once its happened once you should know it's coming.

I appreciate healers who macro a vril vril vril!!' Shout when she's casting it ha. Saved me from the time I nearly forgot until the last second.

Also I think it's because you don't have to VRIL that move up until the last phase and everyone is in maximum deeps mode.
I've started doing that once I saw some tanks using macros, heh. Plus I get to use my favourite bongo sfx so its a win win!

In my Susano ex runs the wipes most happen for these reasons:

DPS is too busy getting MAX DEEPS and gets everyone lightning bolted, then the next dps half derps and gets everyone lightning bolted. At this point one of the healers die putting an incredible amount of stress on the surviving healer that must ensure everyone stays alive during Ukehis and the incoming tank buster. As someone who only plays healer this is the worst fucking thing.

Thunder cloud appears exactly in front of Susano or directly behind confusing the targeted person and causing them to line up the lighting bolt exactly in the safe zone.

Tanks being slow on the uptake during the sword block and the raid gets hit by an orb and a healer is always the one to die as a result.

Off tank gets killed during the tank buster cleave.

Yep, sounds like my yesterday.

Also had healers who thought they were supposed to help absorb the balls, a main tank who had trouble keeping hate from me (ninja lol), and people standing on the gap

Squishy3

It's definitely on the easy side of the primals but I actually really enjoy it compared to Lakshmi.

Alex

It's definitely on the easy side of the primals but I actually really enjoy it compared to Lakshmi.

The tuning reminds me of the earlier ARR EX Primals, which I still think were the best ones. I think it is well adjusted for the type of content it is. Has a nice rhythm, good level of challenge and tension for repeatable pug content. A bit harder than Leviathan EX but with the same type of urge to repeat run, which I think is a good place to be.

The tuning reminds me of the earlier ARR EX Primals, which I still think were the best ones. I think it is well adjusted for the type of content it is. Has a nice rhythm, good level of challenge and tension for repeatable pug content. A bit harder than Leviathan EX but with the same type of urge to repeat run, which I think is a good place to be.

Levi EX is way harder than Susano ex.

the_id

Finally finished MSQ up to level 66. Loved the story of the various Xaela tribes and the Azmi Steepe. Never expected it.

adversarial

I have been loving my time with this game, but some of the design decisions leave me wondering: What the fuck?

I just found out you can't send /tell's to anyone or even open your friend's list while in a Duty Finder. What possible motive could there be for this? I heard that you're transported to another server when you're in the dungeon. Is this a technology limitation?

Also, it seems there isn't really a 'competetive' raiding scene for end-game, is this correct? I have been loving tanking the new content and I'm wondering if I'll be joining random GAF groups or PF'ing til the end of time, or if there are usually plenty of static groups for hardcore raiding.

I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point, and I apologize for that, but the absence of any way to determine how DPS / Healing / Tanking is doing throughout the course of a fight is troubling, as someone who raided and analyzed logs to better raid lead. For those of you in a static group for hardcore raiding (Savage I guess?), how did you pick your DPS / Heals / Tanks? Did you just invite friends and assume they knew what they were doing based on deaths / not dying / attempts? Genuinely curious as raiding with a good, consistent group is the only thing that appeals to me.

I probably should have figured this out before shelling out $$, in retrospect.

R0ckman

I have been loving my time with this game, but some of the design decisions leave me wondering: What the fuck?

I just found out you can't send /tell's to anyone or even open your friend's list while in a Duty Finder. What possible motive could there be for this? I heard that you're transported to another server when you're in the dungeon. Is this a technology limitation?

Also, it seems there isn't really a 'competetive' raiding scene for end-game, is this correct? I have been loving tanking the new content and I'm wondering if I'll be joining random GAF groups or PF'ing til the end of time, or if there are usually plenty of static groups for hardcore raiding.

I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point, and I apologize for that, but the absence of any way to determine how DPS / Healing / Tanking is doing throughout the course of a fight is troubling, as someone who raided and analyzed logs to better raid lead. For those of you in a static group for hardcore raiding (Savage I guess?), how did you pick your DPS / Heals / Tanks? Did you just invite friends and assume they knew what they were doing based on deaths / not dying / attempts? Genuinely curious as raiding with a good, consistent group is the only thing that appeals to me.

I probably should have figured this out before shelling out $$, in retrospect.

Game is built to try and prevent as much toxicity as possible and to cater to more casual play styles. As such it tries to hammer down the aspects that would be reflective of the nails of the gaming community, being those who are maximizers.

From a neutral viewpoint it seems that out side of party finder it seems there attempts to do this are actually be effective to an extent. Very rarely do I see people complaining unless people are clearly terrible. On my server its most deffinitely casual with no one bothering anyone who isn't 100% optimal and simply gets the job done well enough.

Donuts

Soooo...I hit level 16 and enjoying my time thus far. It seems I've run out of story missions though? In my recommended section I only see lower level quests and "so you want to be.." quests. Where should I be right now? Running duties or something? I'm slightly confused.

Apoptomon

Soooo...I hit level 16 and enjoying my time thus far. It seems I've run out of story missions though? In my recommended section I only see lower level quests and "so you want to be.." quests. Where should I be right now? Running duties or something? I'm slightly confused.

check your journal to see where you got up to - the next is usually in the same place. Around that level, the game takes you on 'world tour' of the three main cities and first three dungeons.

If you ever find youself locked out of the MSQ by level requirement, remember to keep on top of your Hunting Log (levels 1-50), take advantage of daily Duty Finder bonuses, or even do a few FATES.

adversarial

Game is built to try and prevent as much toxicity as possible and to cater to more casual play styles. As such it tries to hammer down the aspects that would be reflective of the nails of the gaming community, being those who are maximizers.

From a neutral viewpoint it seems that out side of party finder it seems there attempts to do this are actually be effective to an extent. Very rarely do I see people complaining unless people are clearly terrible. On my server its most deffinitely casual with no one bothering anyone who isn't 100% optimal and simply gets the job done well enough.

Yeah, super nice community. Only had a few people in dungeons who were jerks.

Pancho

Qurupancho
All this Susano Ex talk, I feel your pain. After what seemed like ages I was finally able to get the remainder of clears needed to buy my SCH book. Its always annoying to see that one guy throwing off the whole fight and people leaving after 1 or 2 wipes making the group fall appart.

wamberz1

All this Susano Ex talk, I feel your pain. After what seemed like ages I was finally able to get the remainder of clears needed to buy my SCH book. Its always annoying to see that one guy throwing off the whole fight and people leaving after 1 or 2 wipes making the group fall appart.
Yep. Wonder if this is what being a healer is like. Watching that one guy sit there with the purple marker and being able to do nothing but angrily stare

Top Bottom