• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Blitzhex

Need advice from BLM pros. I can only do 3.4k dps on susanoo if I get a perfect round, no blue marks, no red marks, as few purple marks as possible. I see people pulling up to 4k on logs with the same gear and same cast sequences. Is it all down to lag? I've got 150ms
Also, I'm not potting or using food buffs, would that bump my dps up by 400?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Does this happen twice in the fight? The only time I remember churning+knockback+stack, there's not even a cloud to worry about.

It's one of the few problem-solving spots in the fight, in that the solution is more than just reacting to telegraphs as by the time Brightstorm happens it's too late to position, and it's the one I see PF get wrong the most. Just get knocked less far back, npnp. Then you can either make it back in time or the party can shift to max melee range for the split without any downtime.

If I can figure out who it is sometimes I can get a heal off between churning and the stack mechanic and it's survivable, and I think once tome weapons hit it might be possible to just consistently shield the knockback into not happening.

Or the healers could take Rescue but I'm like 90% sure if I do that I'll forget to put Esuna back before O4 and it will be sad times.

I actually don't remember a cloud during that either so maybe I'm talking out my arse but even wif there's a cloud you have two different near walls to be knocked into yeah.

Ugh, DRK. I grinded out a relic and learnt to tank almost all of Alex Savage on it because I loved the way it played in 3.x

Tried doing a level 60 dungeon the other day and it was so awful. They absolutely gutted this job with 4.0. With the way it stands I'm not even gonna bother to level it to 70. Or any other tank for that matter. I know it supposedly gets better at 70 but initial impressions were so off-putting that I have no motivation at all to touch it again

;___;

DRK play used to be rewarding what with managing your mana and all your oGCDs, (maximizing that Blood Weapon window to get as much mana back as possible).

In terms of playstyle I put it at the hardest among the three and the one that felt the most like a DPS job even if not the same.

Now I put it as the easiest. It feels like it plays itself, in the bad way imo. You will be mashing Dark Arts a ton more than you did before because of all the mana you get.

Blackest Night is a neat shield to use but imo it doesn't save the loss of the old Dark Knight playstyle.

I'm currently leveling my Ninja from 60-70 and I'm having a ton more fun playing that then I ever did playing Dark Knight from 60-70.

Right now Warrior is probably the most complicated tank with properly managing the Beast Gauge. Even then it's not enough for me.

The DPS queues suck for sure, but when I weigh getting an instant dungeon but being bored versus waiting a while but having a lot of fun actually playing the content, I think I've realized that the wait is really worth it.

Power went out during Lakshimi practice, now having to redownload all 22.9 gigs of game data because of it. It's still an ongoing issue for may PS4 users.

Not cool. Had all of today slotted for getting these EX clears and now I can't get on for probably the rest of the day.

Qvoth

Need advice from BLM pros. I can only do 3.4k dps on susanoo if I get a perfect round, no blue marks, no red marks, as few purple marks as possible. I see people pulling up to 4k on logs with the same gear and same cast sequences. Is it all down to lag? I've got 150ms
Also, I'm not potting or using food buffs, would that bump my dps up by 400?

they have ast to inflate
99% of the top stuff you see in fflogs are ast inflated

iammeiam

Fflogs rankings now tells you how much damage they do without Balance now

No BLM does more than 3.9k on the EX primals without balance

FFLogs in its current state is pretty jacked, though. It's got random parses showing 0 DPS without balance, which can't be right, and HPS currently doesn't count shielding which makes SCH/noct look lazy as hell.

There's also the dividing line between "padded to hell" and just normal AOE balance usage; there's at least one guy at 3903 in a no-AST party, so 'legitimate' BLM 4k parses should be possible with just mortal AOE balance (guy also has a SAM in the group so not even max BLM synergy in the DPS chooses; 4k might be attainable swapping the SAM for a MCH and feeding off hyper charge?)

FFLogs in its current state is pretty jacked, though. It's got random parses showing 0 DPS without balance, which can't be right, and HPS currently doesn't count shielding which makes SCH/noct look lazy as hell.

There's also the dividing line between "padded to hell" and just normal AOE balance usage; there's at least one guy at 3903 in a no-AST party, so 'legitimate' BLM 4k parses should be possible with just mortal AOE balance (guy also has a SAM in the group so not even max BLM synergy in the DPS chooses; 4k might be attainable swapping the SAM for a MCH and feeding off hyper charge?)
It's definitely possible, there's one guy in Susano with 4k. But without balance the average seems closer to something like 3.7k

iammeiam

It's definitely possible, there's one guy in Susano with 4k. But without balance the average seems closer to something like 3.7k

Oh, yeah, 4k is definitely not the average; it's more that Balance padding can get gross and toss out super impractical numbers, and 4k isn't that. It's still hinging on insanely good play, good rng, and, I'd assume, food and pots, but it's not the realm of Balance injected directly into their veins that some people hit.

LProtag

Finally home and downloading Stormblood.

I think I'm going to do RDM, but I have to get my 43 DRG to 50 first... not looking forward to that, to be honest.

drac96

I ended up getting through ARR and am now on the quests before Heavensword. I beat Ramuh last night.

I feel like I am now at a point where I should learn how to properly play. This is the first MMO where I've gotten to "end game content". So now I'm interested in trying to take on EX primal and stuff, but don't want to bring the tram down.

So I am here to ask questions! I am playing as a monk. Most images or guides I have seen show a bunch of cross class skills, which are obviously gone now. Also most guides seem to focus on changes from before, but I don't even know what I should have been doing before this haha. I am level 53 so I know approximately nothing about chakra yet.

What I'm doing now is starting an encounter with Perfect Balance then snap punch to get greased lightning up. Then I go bootshine to twin snakes to demolish. And when demolish is up switch it out for snap punch.

I use internal release whenever it's up, but don't know if there's a specific time to be doing it. I also throw in dragon kick to the rotation to get the targets resistance down. Also I'm obviously trying to attack positionally.

This is all from me just trying stuff. I have no idea if it's optimal, or if I'm doing absolutely terrible dps.

Also in a lot of dungeons people say o7 and I have no idea what that means.

Sorry for the long post.

IvorB

I've got fast-acting allagan catalyst, divide water, fast-drying carboncoat, enchanted rubber and a Lunaris Rod in my inventory but when I speak to Gerolt it still says I don't have the necessary item to complete the quest. Anyone know what the deal is?

kromeo

I've got fast-acting allagan catalyst, divide water, fast-drying carboncoat, enchanted rubber and a Lunaris Rod in my inventory but when I speak to Gerolt it still says I don't have the necessary item to complete the quest. Anyone know what the deal is?

Try unequipping the weapon

Is there any point of melding stuff that's not normal omega gear/lakshmi accessories/Susano weapon? I mean we are going to change verity gear soon enough anyway. Doesn't seem like there is much point to it.

I can already tell how much fun it's going to be to get that final SB trial in the roulette. Just had a good group that could absolutely clear if some small mistakes were fixed vote abandon because one of the tanks and one of the healers got into a great big spat over whether I should use the melee LB as soon as we got it, or if we should save it for a healer LB3 if needed. It, of course, ended in the healer trying to kick the tank (which didn't work), followed by the healer proclaiming that they weren't going to heal until the tank was kicked. Rest of the party said screw it and voted to abandon.

Sigh.

Also in a lot of dungeons people say o7 and I have no idea what that means.

Sorry for the long post.

Can't help you with Monk, but o/ is just another quick way to say hey/hello/hi, because it looks like someone waving. o7 would be interpreted as a salute, I suppose.

Donuts

So many helpful folks in this thread, thanks y'all. So I just hit lv 10 and picked up the mining job. Is there another job that mining benefits that I can level with mining as I level up?

kromeo

So many helpful folks in this thread, thanks y'all. So I just hit lv 10 and picked up the mining job. Is there another job that mining benefits that I can level with mining as I level up?

All the crafts will except for culinarian, but particularly Blacksmith, armorsmith, goldsmith

{Aspected Benefic}
{Expanded Balance}
Combust
Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Tri-disaster
Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin Ruin

thinking.gif

iammeiam

Combust
Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic Malefic

FAILURE

Where is Earthly Star

(Stellar Explosion is kind of crap single-target damage, but it still sets AST baseline damage to like 30-50dps, plus being stupid amounts of HP restore. Also: it its neat looking)

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Outside of raid, set up Expanded Balance
-30s Minor Arcana
-8s Earth Star
-6s Aspected Helios in Nocturnal Sect
-4s Aspected Benefic on MT
-2s Precast Malefic III
0s Expanded Balance + Combust II
2s Detonate Giant Star
4+s Malefic III until someone dies

kuroshiki

DRK play used to be rewarding what with managing your mana and all your oGCDs, (maximizing that Blood Weapon window to get as much mana back as possible).

In terms of playstyle I put it at the hardest among the three and the one that felt the most like a DPS job even if not the same.

Now I put it as the easiest. It feels like it plays itself, in the bad way imo. You will be mashing Dark Arts a ton more than you did before because of all the mana you get.

Blackest Night is a neat shield to use but imo it doesn't save the loss of the old Dark Knight playstyle.

I'm currently leveling my Ninja from 60-70 and I'm having a ton more fun playing that then I ever did playing Dark Knight from 60-70.

Right now Warrior is probably the most complicated tank with properly managing the Beast Gauge. Even then it's not enough for me.

The DPS queues suck for sure, but when I weigh getting an instant dungeon but being bored versus waiting a while but having a lot of fun actually playing the content, I think I've realized that the wait is really worth it.

It can't be easier than PLD. seriously?

I finally understand why SMN players are pissed off

Even if WHM gets punted off the meta I'll never go back to AST.
FAILURE

Where is Earthly Star

(Stellar Explosion is kind of crap single-target damage, but it still sets AST baseline damage to like 30-50dps, plus being stupid amounts of HP restore. Also: it its neat looking)
I always forget Earhtly Star does damage because the bloody thing doesn't have a damage marker of its own and instead does one of those small red DoT numbers

Meanwhile Assize is all on your face with beautiful exclamation marks
It can't be easier than PLD. seriously?
It actually is which is really weird, but as someone that didn't like DRK that much I'm kind of really enjoying using DA almost every fucking GCD.

scy

Hm. I think hitting a baseline on DRK is easier than ever but the getting the most out of it is harder than PLD; PLD is basically just cycling two rotations (rather strictly, it's a fairly rigid setup due to the durations). DRK isn't hitting a lot of different buttons but it's definitely cycling through a lot more options at a given time. So it'll depend a lot on what you consider harder I guess? PLD has very little flexibility so going off the plan really hurts it while DRK is trying to make the most of dumping it's resource(s) with a rather simple gameplay loop.

Speaking of which, I was told that Dark Passenger isn't worth using outside of large AoE packs - which makes sense since the potency is shite. Am I supposed to use the DA version in single targets or to just completely ignore it?

Also is there a point in DAing Syphon or is that just a "fuck you premature Dark Arts" button?

ebil

Hm. I think hitting a baseline on DRK is easier than ever but the getting the most out of it is harder than PLD; PLD is basically just cycling two rotations (rather strictly, it's a fairly rigid setup due to the durations). DRK isn't hitting a lot of different buttons but it's definitely cycling through a lot more options at a given time. So it'll depend a lot on what you consider harder I guess? PLD has very little flexibility so going off the plan really hurts it while DRK is trying to make the most of dumping it's resource(s) with a rather simple gameplay loop.
I'd say that DRK's rotation is simpler (fewer buttons) and more forgiving because of the aforementioned PLD rigidity. The more difficult aspects of DRK are managing your Blood, MP and timing TBN, I guess? It's a lot of "don't overcap MP and don't overcap Blood and know your priorities and it'll be all right".

I wouldn't say either is difficult to play but PLD is more overwhelming than DRK in a sense, now. But it's also fairly on-rails with your buff windows!

Speaking of which, I was told that Dark Passenger isn't worth using outside of large AoE packs - which makes sense since the potency is shite. Am I supposed to use the DA version in single targets or to just completely ignore it?

Also is there a point in DAing Syphon or is that just a "fuck you premature Dark Arts" button?
You can take Dark Passenger off your bars in single target fights and in most AOE situations (the requirements for it to be wortwhile are absurd). Its cost simply isn't justified at this point after getting Abyssal Drain.

scy

You basically just don't care about Dark Passenger. Almost twice the MP of AD for 20 less potency (but oGCD!). It gets the full +140 DA value but then it's throwing 4.8k MP at a 240 potency oGCD vs 3-4 ADs for 360-480 (though, again, oGCD vs 3-4 GCDs). It's basically only worth it in super edge case MP overflows and/or super specific niche burst situations.

There's no real reason to care if you DA Syphon vs Souleater. Basically, DA is just +140 on your next Bloodspiller, Souleater, or Syphon Strike. You just prefer that order for super edge case CHit/DHit things under buffs that are also mostly negligible.

You're basically overflowing MP if you don't end up dumping DA on SS+SE both honestly.

I wouldn't say either is difficult to play but PLD is more overwhelming than DRK in a sense, now. But it's also fairly on-rails with your buff windows!

Yeah, I think it'll come down to preferences here? I think PLD not really having flexibility is both an easy thing (because you only have so much to learn!) but then really punishing for messing it up (because it literally fits together like that for reasons!). Just wanted to list out the way the two operate.

Honestly, most the reason I think DRK is harder is I notice every oGCD clip.

You basically just don't care about Dark Passenger. Almost twice the MP of AD for 20 less potency (but oGCD!). It gets the full +140 DA value but then it's throwing 4.8k MP at a 240 potency oGCD vs 3-4 ADs for 360-480 (though, again, oGCD vs 3-4 GCDs). It's basically only worth it in super edge case MP overflows and/or super specific niche burst situations.

There's no real reason to care if you DA Syphon vs Souleater. Basically, DA is just +140 on your next Bloodspiller, Souleater, or Syphon Strike. You just prefer that order for super edge case CHit/DHit things under buffs that are also mostly negligible.

You're basically overflowing MP if you don't end up dumping DA on SS+SE both honestly.
Hmm, I see. So basically I can't go wrong with any of the offensive DA uses except Passenger and fuck Passenger, got it.

CLBridges

Finally got the Ramuh pony today. Now, on to Titan, Ifrit and pretty much all the other extreme primals. Plus, I've been grinding for the magitek mount from ala mhigo and of the dozens of times I've run it, seen the mount once and lost roll by a couple points lol. Oh well, I'm still enjoying myself.

wamberz1

If I had a dollar for everyone time a person didn't jump the gap in lobster EX because they were to busy looking at their UI...

Top Bottom