• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

It would be very difficult to make a Blue Mage in the traditional sense in XIV. They could easily make a caster who has all the standard blue magic spells, but they couldn't let you make it all the way to endgame without having your whole toolkit, so there won't be any sense of discovery that defines the job.

But they could still surprise me. Red Mage still has the flavor you'd expect and feels very much like one, despite being more of a straightforward caster this time.

The way they'd probably do it is just have you learn nearly all of your skills through job quests. Make them a tank that fights with a mace or a club and does blunt damage. Skills that use the weapon exclusively are learned through leveling but anything that would come from a monster is learned from a quest. Deliberately *don't* give them a blunt debuff so that Monk gets some extra utility with Dragon Kick.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

Berordn

Or how about not coddling people? Blue Magic learning isn't a hard concept to understand.

The race to find all the abilities would be pretty fun too at launch.

You have my sword, but I really can't see them adding traditional blue magic learning that would only go used once by a specific job.

I'm not saying they will never do it, I'm saying they are treating Geomancer like a non factor with not even an ounce of mystery or excitement about the class, so it would be super weird that they'd try to hype this up as a new job down the line. They'd probably have to totally re-do the job and repackage it with a new name a la Time Mage > AST. Which again, they could. But making guesses about something that'd be so different from the source material (at least in theory) seems like the kind of fun I'm not too interested in.

The way they refer to Geomancy's elemental nature really seems to be stepping on the toes of Conjurer as well. Plus early on they make it clear that there's nothing particularly special about it, and the powers they invoke are identical to the existing classes.

But they at least refer to it by name, so there's hope yet.

Isaccard

Chemist is just a heal Machinist though?

unknown.png

and we all know how [we] feel about Machinists around here

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Chemist is more like a combat ALC with a gun. The MCHs in this game are more engineers than chemists.

Donuts

Alright FFXIV GAF, I'm thinking about making the plunge. I plan on playing as Gladiator tank. What's their tanking style? Lots of AoE? Single target abilities? Honestly what sold me the most was playing via gamepad. How viable is playing this way towards the endgame? Are the endgame raids any good? Lotsa questions!

Alright FFXIV GAF, I'm thinking about making the plunge. I plan on playing as Gladiator tank. What's their tanking style? Lots of AoE? Single target abilities? Honestly what sold me the most was playing via gamepad. How viable is playing this way towards the endgame? Are the endgame raids any good? Lotsa questions!

You'll have absolutely no problem doing anything endgame with a gamepad. It works just as well as a m/kb when it comes to DPS/Tanking/Healing.

Endgame raids are really good, and usually have fun stories attached to them. The crystal tower one at level 50 is still one of the best, and I really enjoyed all the Heavensward ones.

Donuts

Thanks for the responses!

If I started a trial account through their client, and bought it via steam, could I transfer over seamlessly?

Also could I get away with just buying the base game until I hit the DLC?

Is there some "recruit a friend" bonus that someone can get off of me, and would it be applied if I just bought the base game?

Thanks for the responses!

If I started a trial account through their client, and bought it via steam, could I transfer over seamlessly?

Also could I get away with just buying the base game until I hit the DLC?

Is there some "recruit a friend" bonus that someone can get off of me, and would it be applied if I just bought the base game?
Unfortunately the standalone client and the Steam version are two different versions and they're mutually exclusive. If you started with the standalone client you have to buy a non-Steam version or start over with a new account when you buy it from Steam. However I'd recommend buying the game without Steam anyway personally. It goes on sale far more often and when you buy the base game on Steam you also have to buy the expansions on Steam. There is a Steam trial however that will let you continue on Steam if you haven't already started one.

And yeah, you don't need any of the expansions until you hit level 50 at which point the latest (Stormblood) will include everything up to it at no additional cost.

There is also a recruit a friend program. It gets you some items for bonus exp and some gear I believe, while the person who recruits you gets credit toward a mount. It activates as soon as you sub for your first month provided you've entered somebody's code by then.

Rue

The way they'd probably do it is just have you learn nearly all of your skills through job quests. Make them a tank that fights with a mace or a club and does blunt damage. Skills that use the weapon exclusively are learned through leveling but anything that would come from a monster is learned from a quest. Deliberately *don't* give them a blunt debuff so that Monk gets some extra utility with Dragon Kick.

That's how I'd do it anyway.

It's so weird that a friend and I had this exact thought. Make Blue Mage into a tank! If they actually adhered to the structure of how they had the three tanks setup they could have them be more of a "support Tank". (War: offensive tank, Pld: defensive, Drk: mixed) Have them make something like "Mighty Guard" a core ability. Give them white wind and other traditional blue magic. Give them Goblin Punch as an opener.

They could really have a lot of fun with it if they went that route.

Donuts

So how exactly do classes work in this game? I noticed that the game mentions you can switch class based on the weapon you have. I also noticed on some gladiator guide that you can switch to the thaumaturge in order to become a paladin? Can you just switch to any class or is it more restricted?

Edit: forgot to thank Mister_Ruck! Thanks!!

Berordn

So how exactly do classes work in this game? I noticed that the game mentions you can switch class based on the weapon you have. I also noticed on some gladiator guide that you can switch to the thaumaturge in order to become a paladin? Can you just switch to any class or is it more restricted?

Any guides you're reading on it probably haven't been totally updated with the Stormblood changes - Thaumaturge has nothing to contribute to Paladin now, you just get access to the Paladin job from the Gladiator class at level 30. Thaumaturge is strictly a ranged caster dps (which eventually becomes Black Mage).

Classes are largely a relic at this point, but essentially Gladiator is Paladin, just low leveled.

I got CUL to 50 today. What now? Do I just continue doing leves and GC turnins?

Also: I don't think BLM would work well as a caster tank with how much movement is required of tanks. Unless they just do something similar to RDM with cast/instacast

Apoptomon

You are required to spend the first 10 levels of the game as the class you chose during character creation. After you reach level 10, other combat, gathering, and crafting classes become available for you to unlock. To actually play as a class, you equip their main tool/weapon (this is made easier with gearsets). Once you reach level 30 of a combat class (and do all of the class's questline) and reach roughly level 24 of the Main Story Questline, you can start a short quest to upgrade your combat class into a Job. As of Stormblood's release, you do not need to level a second class in order to upgrade to a Job. To play as a Job, simply equip the Job Stone rewarded from the unlock quest. Because a Job is an upgrade, your Job level = your class level.

Guess Who

Banned

"Jobs" like Paladin used to require you to level a "main" class to level 30 (Gladiator, for PLDR) and sub-class to 15 (Conjurer for PLD), but now you just need to get the main class to 30.

You can switch classes - and thus jobs - at any time after level 10 by swapping out your main weapon for another classes weapon. First you just have to unlock the other class by doing a quest at the class's guild.

Aesthet1c

Can someone help me with buying this game on PS Plus?

I play on PC and my daughter has been playing the free trial on the PS4. Currently it's on sale for $10 PS Plus members, but I worry that if I buy it on my account it's going to attach it to my PC account (I've linked it with my PS account before during a free trial once). Her account is a sub account of mine and should get the benefits, but it's $12 on her account since she isn't considered a PS Plus subscriber.

Basically, in order to make sure it get's linked to her account do I have to buy it on her PS account or can I buy it under mine and link it to hers after?

EDIT: Nevermind, I got an answer in the FC, thanks guys!

Stuart444

Can someone help me with buying this game on PS Plus?

I play on PC and my daughter has been playing the free trial on the PS4. Currently it's on sale for $10 PS Plus members, but I worry that if I buy it on my account it's going to attach it to my PC account (I've linked it with my PS account before during a free trial once). Her account is a sub account of mine and should get the benefits, but it's $12 on her account since she isn't considered a PS Plus subscriber.

Basically, in order to make sure it get's linked to her account do I have to buy it on her PS account or can I buy it under mine and link it to hers after?

Pretty sure you need to buy it on her account but I don't know how sub accounts work.

Argh, I just want 10 PvP wins for my Garo mount but that's proving impossible this week when everyone on my team (and my team only) ignores the big crystals. Have they given any indication on when that event will end?

Edit: Turned on Frontline Freelancer and immediately won the first round. I think I see the problem here (Twin Adders).

Personally I'm not looking forward to whatever they're doing for a new tank if they're even planning on making a new one for the next expansion.

The stuff I talked about before has a really soured me on tanking as a whole in this game.

feelsbadman

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Race? It would just be datamined before servers are back ul

I hate modern MMO's >_>

There was that one period in time where we were trying to figure out how to spawn the S-Ranks. What was it again? The translation was fucked up, instead of a riddle like the Japanese version, we got no hints.

B.K.

I got my sword and shield from Susano Ex. The group I was in got a few wins before it disbanded. I got a few more totems and the Ninja weapon. No one wanted it and I was the last one out, so it dropped to me. The first couple clears were pretty clean, but then we started having trouble. The last clear, they had to use healer LB3 to clear it, but we cleared. People get too picky about wanting completely clean clears.

Donuts

You are required to spend the first 10 levels of the game as the class you chose during character creation. After you reach level 10, other combat, gathering, and crafting classes become available for you to unlock. To actually play as a class, you equip their main tool/weapon (this is made easier with gearsets). Once you reach level 30 of a combat class (and do all of the class's questline) and reach roughly level 24 of the Main Story Questline, you can start a short quest to upgrade your combat class into a Job. As of Stormblood's release, you do not need to level a second class in order to upgrade to a Job. To play as a Job, simply equip the Job Stone rewarded from the unlock quest. Because a Job is an upgrade, your Job level = your class level.

"Jobs" like Paladin used to require you to level a "main" class to level 30 (Gladiator, for PLDR) and sub-class to 15 (Conjurer for PLD), but now you just need to get the main class to 30.

You can switch classes - and thus jobs - at any time after level 10 by swapping out your main weapon for another classes weapon. First you just have to unlock the other class by doing a quest at the class's guild.

Thanks for the info!

One last question. Does buying the base game or expansion give a month of gameplay? For example, can I play the trial until I get capped, then buy the base game and get a free month, THEN buy the expansion and get another free month?

Apoptomon

Thanks for the info!

One last question. Does buying the base game or expansion give a month of gameplay? For example, can I play the trial until I get capped, then buy the base game and get a free month, THEN buy the expansion and get another free month?
Unfortunately only the base game includes 30 days sub; you don't get a free month from expansions.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Ever since I started farming Shiva I got my pony before I saw a True Ice Katana drop.

I want it so bad...

These ARR quests are awful...like mind-numbing awful. The worst ones are where they just have you going back and forth over long distances

I also managed to get myself over leveled for story content. I'm level 30 and want better gear, but I only have access to 3 dungeons up to level 16(something like that). Do I still go through them for better items?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
These ARR quests are awful...like mind-numbing awful. The worst ones are where they just have you going back and forth over long distances

I also managed to get myself over leveled for story content. I'm level 30 and want better gear, but I only have access to 3 dungeons up to level 16(something like that). Do I still go through them for better items?
Stop doing sidequest and focus on main story quest and quest with a plus icon (these unlock stuff). You would have 6 dungeons unlocked and your chocobo mount for those quest that require you to go back and forth if you hadn't fallen behind on msq.

If you hit a lv block in MSQ go back to side quest or do palace of the dead till you can continue with MSQ.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Stop doing sidequest and focus on main story quest and quest with a plus icon (these unlock stuff). You would have 6 dungeons unlocked and your chocobo mount for those quest that require you to go back and forth if you hadn't fallen behind on msq.

If you hit a lv block in MSQ go back to side quest or do palace of the dead till you can continue with MSQ.

https://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Guide:Progression_and_Level_Locked_Content

Yeah, I was just doing all side quests. Too many distractions heh

Yeah, a good chunk of ARR is essentially reintroducing Eorzea to the player and remaking the Alliance.
Once you get into the mid-40s, you get on the roller coaster.

Just mainline the main story quests. After Heavensward came out, they revamped the original MSQ to give a ton of EXP to fast track people to Heavenswars.

Don’t worry about gear, your gear gets replaced through rewards for completing the main story. Gear rewards basically only matter for endgame content.

Also, I hated ARR and most of the 2.X patches, but the later 2.X content and Heavensward get pretty good. So, it gets better.

the_id

Ok, some thoughts so far on this game. I am only focusing on the MSQ and so far I'm loving it. I was worried that the story would be subpar compared to Heavensward but no, its actually even better. For some reason, the themes of race, imperialism, nationalism reminds me so much of the Witcher minus the sex scenes. Furthermore, the voice acting seems to be better.

The Eastern theme of Hingashi and Doma is complements the Western themes in Eorzea.

I'm looking forward to the Return to Ivalice 24 man raid.

Top Bottom