• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

I have been loving my time with this game, but some of the design decisions leave me wondering: What the fuck?

I just found out you can't send /tell's to anyone or even open your friend's list while in a Duty Finder. What possible motive could there be for this? I heard that you're transported to another server when you're in the dungeon. Is this a technology limitation?

Also, it seems there isn't really a 'competetive' raiding scene for end-game, is this correct? I have been loving tanking the new content and I'm wondering if I'll be joining random GAF groups or PF'ing til the end of time, or if there are usually plenty of static groups for hardcore raiding.

I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point, and I apologize for that, but the absence of any way to determine how DPS / Healing / Tanking is doing throughout the course of a fight is troubling, as someone who raided and analyzed logs to better raid lead. For those of you in a static group for hardcore raiding (Savage I guess?), how did you pick your DPS / Heals / Tanks? Did you just invite friends and assume they knew what they were doing based on deaths / not dying / attempts? Genuinely curious as raiding with a good, consistent group is the only thing that appeals to me.

I probably should have figured this out before shelling out $$, in retrospect.
Duty server is weird, tells are a no go but FC and linkshell chats work fine. I think its more of a tool to deter spambots than anything.

Competitive raiding is a thing and you're about to see the next world prog race once Savage drops. Beyond that people go for speedkills, highest parses and the like, you can check out parse rankings at fflogs.com

As for picking players for a static, its really rare to see groups that dont have at least one person parsing because as you said, logs help a lot to get better. Whenever my groups are trying new people out we take then to some content and see how they do mechanic-wise, then analyze logs to see how they are performing damage/rotation wise.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Final Trial fight question.

Last few times I have done this fight, I get targeted by some tall green marker towards the end. I don't get hit by anything that I can tell. I just move away from the party if I get targeted.

But I have no clue what it does. Anyone know what it does?

Last few times I have done this fight, I get targeted by some tall green marker towards the end. I don't get hit by anything that I can tell. I just move away from the party if I get targeted.

Thats the chain marker I think?

Bowlie

Banned

the tail will drop on your head, so you can plan ahead where to go to stop parts of the arena from being destroyed

aceface

I have been loving my time with this game, but some of the design decisions leave me wondering: What the fuck?

I just found out you can't send /tell's to anyone or even open your friend's list while in a Duty Finder. What possible motive could there be for this? I heard that you're transported to another server when you're in the dungeon. Is this a technology limitation?

Also, it seems there isn't really a 'competetive' raiding scene for end-game, is this correct? I have been loving tanking the new content and I'm wondering if I'll be joining random GAF groups or PF'ing til the end of time, or if there are usually plenty of static groups for hardcore raiding.

I'm probably sounding like a broken record at this point, and I apologize for that, but the absence of any way to determine how DPS / Healing / Tanking is doing throughout the course of a fight is troubling, as someone who raided and analyzed logs to better raid lead. For those of you in a static group for hardcore raiding (Savage I guess?), how did you pick your DPS / Heals / Tanks? Did you just invite friends and assume they knew what they were doing based on deaths / not dying / attempts? Genuinely curious as raiding with a good, consistent group is the only thing that appeals to me.

I probably should have figured this out before shelling out $$, in retrospect.

There's plenty of static groups. Groups looking for members usually put up adds in pf, or you can also look on ffxiv recruitment on Reddit. You could also put your own post up on pf listing your class, availability, and what you are interested in. Static groups run the gamut from hardcore progression raiding running 20+ hours a week to midcore to casual. Each type of group will have different expectations on the dps you are doing (every static will keep parses) and how well you can do mechanics. Usually if you want to join a group you'll go along to a tryout for a night or two to see if you are a good fit and if your dps is good enough.

Alternatively, keep tabs on people you run with in FC or elsewhere who are good and you liked and ask them about building a static.

Donuts

check your journal to see where you got up to - the next is usually in the same place. Around that level, the game takes you on 'world tour' of the three main cities and first three dungeons.

If you ever find youself locked out of the MSQ by level requirement, remember to keep on top of your Hunting Log (levels 1-50), take advantage of daily Duty Finder bonuses, or even do a few FATES.

FML I spent quite a while wandering and catching up on side quests / mining. Turns out I just missed the next main quest pickup in that heart of the sworn area, it wasn't marked on the map. Oh well..guess it'll be easier to power through the story now

I feel like it's pretty obvious to see how well people are doing at their respective roles during fights even without using a tool, but if you want hard numbers it's your only option.

scy

I feel like it's pretty obvious to see how well people are doing at their respective roles during fights even without using a tool, but if you want hard numbers it's your only option.

Based purely off the attitudes people have when compared to what they actually end up doing, I'm going to go with not really true? The game is pretty bad at giving tangible feedback here in this regard so it's usually not too surprising, though. There's only so much people can assume based purely on what the game shows them.

Its obvious in fights that you have already cleared but during progression parsing is the only way to tell besides failing DPS checks or enraging.

Alex

Parsers are a requirement for this type of MMO from my perspective. That said I don't mind if you have to keep them private although in 12+ years of WoW I never once saw someone insulted or harassed for having low DPS, merely culled when it was found to be the problem.

For groups, personal growth and just having raw data, they're too important. I can't even imagine trying to play one of these games if the community didn't have access to one.

Based purely off the attitudes people have when compared to what they actually end up doing, I'm going to go with not really true? The game is pretty bad at giving tangible feedback here in this regard so it's usually not too surprising, though. There's only so much people can assume based purely on what the game shows them.

It isn't possible to know at all unless someone is stumbling about or using abilities in an obviously wrong fashion, plus no one wants to babysit someone when they're trying to perform themselves. If you're on content with a real DPS check you can't focus on someone else.

Even in situations when the group is managing, I still want to know if someone is being carried so I can avoid them for future group formation. It isn't at all uncommon for a DPS in this game to be doing half of the DPS they should be doing. Hell, last Susano group I was in everyone was well above 3k, except a SMN who was doing 1700.

Baliis

Even in situations when the group is managing, I still want to know if someone is being carried so I can avoid them for future group formation. It isn't at all uncommon for a DPS in this game to be doing half of the DPS they should be doing. Hell, last Susano group I was in everyone was well above 3k, except a SMN who was doing 1700.

I was doing Lakshmi Ex earlier with a bard getting out DPSed by the off tank doing half my damage.

Got put into Tam Tara for leveling roulette.

I forgot how this game is complete garbage at low levels.

They should just let you use all your skills since none of this stuff is challenging in the slightest.

Just tedious to get through.

Baliis

They should just let you use all your skills since none of this stuff is challenging in the slightest.

Was tanking earlier to get some clusters. hitting 1-2 over and over the whole run blaaah.

Sylas

So, uh. What's everyone's favorite method to get from 60 to 61 outside of roulettes? I can't find a good dungeon to park myself in and farm for exp and everything that's non-roulette gives kinda crap exp. FATEs are the only semi-decent thing I've run into so far.

Squishy3

So, uh. What's everyone's favorite method to get from 60 to 61 outside of roulettes? I can't find a good dungeon to park myself in and farm for exp and everything that's non-roulette gives kinda crap exp. FATEs are the only semi-decent thing I've run into so far.
I just do PVP because I enjoy it, but FATEs in The Fringes/Lochs are probably mathematically better if there's people doing them.

Question regarding fire2 for any mages. Should I even bother with it at lower level(31) vs fire1? I see that it hits multiple enemies, but it does less damage and costs more. I kind of liked using it to "mark" everything in my enmity list, making it easy to see what to target, but didn't know if that was a waste

Luminaire

Question regarding fire2 for any mages. Should I even bother with it at lower level(31) vs fire1? I see that it hits multiple enemies, but it does less damage and costs more. I kind of liked using it to "mark" everything in my enmity list, making it easy to see what to target, but didn't know if that was a waste

Use it on 3+ mobs I believe.

Example: If Fire 1 does 500 dmg per hit, but Fire 2 only does 200 dmg per hit, if you're hitting 3+ mobs, you'd be doing 600 dmg vs 500 dmg. DPS gains. The actual numbers won't be that simple but you'll see how it adds up.

Pancho

Qurupancho

Me, personally use fire 2 on 4+ mobs, 3 or less I use single target damage.

Yam's

The game is totally bad at giving any feedbacks. I've been farming all Omega's floors for the tank mount and there hasn't been a single run where I wasn't top 3 dps as off tank (sometimes even 1st...). I mean we didn't wipe, we met the enrage once on floor 3, so I guess it's not that dramatic, but I'm sure most of the dps I met there had no idea they were performing that badly. All they saw were the bosses going down so they got no reason to think anything's wrong, except maybe that those bosses have a lot of hp.

Yeah it makes even less sense when you see how hard you run over 50/60 dungeons now. I wish we got access to all our skills synced damage wise to the dungeon's level. I know they won't do it cause I don't see how a new tank could hold aggro against synced dps that way, but leveling roulette is really the worst of the lot right now.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I've had SusEx DPS do less than me as the tank because they keep dying.

To say the least of the DPS players who DON'T die and still barely push 2.5k.

Luminaire

Damn, you guys run into some really bad players lol

While leveling WHM earlier today I ran into a DRK who lost hate on 100% of the pulls in Bardam. No matter what, he could not keep hate on mobs, bosses, anything. He'd lose it within seconds. Even with Lucid Dreaming, the mob would break off and either hit me or the BLM. It got to a point where I could not DPS some mobs because he couldn't hold them. I checked his gear and he was using a mix of 63/65.

I've never seen someone so unable to keep hate/enmity/aggro like that. We wiped 3x on the last boss as well, with me croaking at 21% even without dpsing the boss at all. Needless to say he got no comms from me. I just wanted out after a 45 minute Bardam run. I just don't get how people can get so far in their classes and not know how they work or how to play them effectively...

Ruff

Is there a setting that forces the map to change when I transition through zones? I like to have it up constantly while leveling and needing to keep closing/opening to see the zone i'm in is a quirk I could do without.

BlackJace

Level 69 dungeon was really boring I gotta say. My least favorite of the expac so far. They've all been pretty damn good otherwise.

Ah well, one more to go!

AlanOC91

Resubbed yesterday and managed to get to level 24 and beat Ifrit.

Game is getting kind of fun now. I think I'm close to a mount too!

Still getting lost now and again though :/

k1t4j

That Sri Lakshmi fight in story was fun, but not nearly as fun as Susanno. But man this expansion has been excellent with the dungeons and the primal fights which always seem to have cool mechanics to them.

R0ckman

While leveling WHM earlier today I ran into a DRK who lost hate on 100% of the pulls in Bardam. No matter what, he could not keep hate on mobs, bosses, anything. He'd lose it within seconds. Even with Lucid Dreaming, the mob would break off and either hit me or the BLM. It got to a point where I could not DPS some mobs because he couldn't hold them. I checked his gear and he was using a mix of 63/65.

I've never seen someone so unable to keep hate/enmity/aggro like that. We wiped 3x on the last boss as well, with me croaking at 21% even without dpsing the boss at all. Needless to say he got no comms from me. I just wanted out after a 45 minute Bardam run. I just don't get how people can get so far in their classes and not know how they work or how to play them effectively...

The game doesn't tell you how that really works as far as I know. Not everyone looks things up in detail. He might have also been broke. I'm gonna go a head and put some blame on square for this one, as at least he wasn't in 60-62 gear. This happened to me too, was broke and was in a catch 22 where I had to run dungeons for higher gear but couldn't hold hate. This is also why when I craft I undercut certain armors hugely and throw them on the MB lol.

Gotta love these random DCs in the middle of PvP.

It's also astonishing how many people ignore the healers in the Feast. Like, kill the fucking healers and the rest of the team dies shortly after you morons. No wonder they removed chat from that mode lol

Shahed

Parsers are a requirement for this type of MMO from my perspective. That said I don't mind if you have to keep them private although in 12+ years of WoW I never once saw someone insulted or harassed for having low DPS, merely culled when it was found to be the problem.

For groups, personal growth and just having raw data, they're too important. I can't even imagine trying to play one of these games if the community didn't have access to one.

It isn't possible to know at all unless someone is stumbling about or using abilities in an obviously wrong fashion, plus no one wants to babysit someone when they're trying to perform themselves. If you're on content with a real DPS check you can't focus on someone else.

I wouldn't say they're a requirement at all. I play on PS4 and with a lot of other PS4 players as well. There's some PC players but no one talks about parsers or anything. We just play, and haven't had an issue clearing anything from Extreme Primals to Savage Raids. If you asked me how much DPS I did on A12s or something as a MNK or WAR, I wouldn't be able to tell you. All I know is I cleared it and we skipped second puddles

MikeBison

Man, all the drama with the Ixion fate, lol

On moogle just now?

General consensus seems to be blame the French.

My ixion linkshell was pretty slow on the uptick. Luckily had a friend who was in the area and noticed quick levin so got there at 90%.

Did seem to be an early pull though.

Blitzhex

On moogle just now?

General consensus seems to be blame the French.

My ixion linkshell was pretty slow on the uptick. Luckily had a friend who was in the area and noticed quick levin so got there at 90%.

Did seem to be an early pull though.

lmao, always knew Moogle to be a french populated server through xrealm pf parties. Hilarious to see the french to be involved in ixion drama there.

Over here on phoenix we just have the regular. People crying about why the boss was pulled after 5 mins of it being up, and other people explaining that if they waited longer the instance would crash.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
90% of european server complaining seems to be blaming French players. Which is unfair when it's only their fault 60% of the time.

I've pretty much given up on Ixion. Between early pullers and garbage spawn times I'd just rather do something else.

Plus the mount looks fucking awful in motion. Its like a giant fat pony

hF30163.gif

JORMBO

Darkness no more
I leveled AST to 60 in HW but never really liked it because the stance dancing felt clunky and I hated managing the cards. I bought a boost for WHM and really like this job. Not having to jump in and out of clerics stance anymore, plus all the healing/mana regen abilities make this what I would expect from a healer. I think I might ditch PLD since tanking is pretty stale for me now and healer queue times are fast also.

dramatis

3 things to check for

Shield Oath for PLD
Defiance for WAR
Grit for DRK

Chances are your tank did not have Grit up.

Finally hit 70 on my SCH/SMN!

That means along with my AST I have three classes max'd out so I won't be touching any other class for leveling until I have a large stock of rested EXP stored up. Once I do I guess I'll eventually level PLD next.

Or maybe WHM so that I can return to my full class of healers ready.

Blitzhex

Just had a full 310 blm spamming fire 1 throughout ala mhigo. He was doing 1.3k dps, I outdpsed him as an AST. If the mount dropped and he got it I would have lost my shit and unsubbed on the spot.
How can anyone be so clueless?

Top Bottom