• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Just had a full 310 blm spamming fire 1 throughout ala mhigo. He was doing 1.3k dps, I outdpsed him as an AST. If the mount dropped and he got it I would have lost my shit and unsubbed on the spot.
How can anyone be so clueless?
It's more likely he just doesn't give a shit

IvorB

So, uh. What's everyone's favorite method to get from 60 to 61 outside of roulettes? I can't find a good dungeon to park myself in and farm for exp and everything that's non-roulette gives kinda crap exp. FATEs are the only semi-decent thing I've run into so far.

FATEs are good. Hunts are also. Don't forget to be ticking off your challenge log entries for bonus XP. I'm annoyed they didn't add any new leve quests in SB though.

Yesterday I queued one hour and twenty minutes for Deltascape 2. Wtf? They really screwed up the match-making queues with their crazy idea to add only DPS. Who would have thought? And to make it even better I then lose out on my loot roll by 3.

Epcott

I really really wanted to get back into this game. I played the Reborn scenario all the way through as a typical RPG, zoomed in behind the back modern FF perspective with a controller and no keyboard hotkeys. I wonder if it's possible to play through Heavensword and Stormblood that way, and what are the best jobs to do so?

Also, I've hit a dilemma and I'm not even sure SE can help me. I haven't played in 3 years, so I needed a password reset. I requested one and the resulting page asked for my one-time password from SQEX Token app. I can't get access the token app because it asks for registration password from S-E Account Management System... but S-E Account Management System requests my password (which I'm trying to reset in the first place). Wtf? Such a convoluted pain in the arse system. I emailed SE but not sure what they can do. I miss the GAF clans 😞

MikeBison

lmao, always knew Moogle to be a french populated server through xrealm pf parties. Hilarious to see the french to be involved in ixion drama there.

Over here on phoenix we just have the regular. People crying about why the boss was pulled after 5 mins of it being up, and other people explaining that if they waited longer the instance would crash.

Yup. It's a catch 22. Pull early and people moan. Leave it late and server crashes. There's always someone else travelling to the area and wanting to get it on it. People will always be disappointed.

IvorB

I really really wanted to get back into this game. I played the Reborn scenario all the way through as a typical RPG, zoomed in behind the back modern FF perspective with a controller and no keyboard hotkeys. I wonder if it's possible to play through Heavensword and Stormblood that way, and what are the best jobs to do so.

Yes, this is how I play it. You might need to find a sweet spot though with the camera if you plan to play melee class since you will have some visibility concerns on stuff happening in the arena if zoomed all the way in.

I wish we could parse on Ps4. Just doing the eye test you can tell most of the time if something is lacking. Having actually numbers without having to rely on someone else would be greatly appreciated.

LProtag

I almost want to try tanking after hearing about all the changes to PLD and tanking in general... but I'm at 43 with my DRG and wouldn't be able to level through the MSQ, so I feel like I'd be thrown into a bunch of situations that I don't know what to do in.

Any suggestions for the best way to level a tank as an alt? Just run dungeons? I don't want to mess up and screw up what should be easy content for everyone else to accomplish.

IvorB

I almost want to try tanking after hearing about all the changes to PLD and tanking in general... but I'm at 43 with my DRG and wouldn't be able to level through the MSQ, so I feel like I'd be thrown into a bunch of situations that I don't know what to do in.

Any suggestions for the best way to level a tank as an alt? Just run dungeons? I don't want to mess up and screw up what should be easy content for everyone else to accomplish.

If you are levelling a tank from low level why not give guildhests a go? They are great training content if you're unsure. Then you can graduate to dungeons.

Gunblade47

Neo Member
I don't mind tanks doing mass pulls when healing tbh. What really gets me is when they're indecisive about it.

Like pausing at the 1st pack for 5-10 seconds only to dash off as soon as I started using my cooldowns on my whm. It's unnecessary for them to be taking that amount of damage when a single aoe emnity attack would do.

Also finished leveling my pld to 70 and I love the changes they made to it as someone that used it as their main tank in ARR and HW. I really hope that if changes are needed that theyd rather buff DRK and WAR to be on par instead of nerfing PLD.

Still suffering from tanxiety tho. I can easily tank dungeons I've already tanked before but I have a massive fear of doing new content with randoms as a tank so I'll just have to wait for my GF and healer to reach 70.

She's loving the MSQ which is great because she didn't like the HW one at all so I'd rather level WHM instead of pushing her to finish.

I really cant wait for her reaction when she does the last fight of the MSQ because she has no idea so far!

ChrisP63

So I'm 69 RDM now, going to grind dungeons and finish the story later today.

How is the endgame after you finish the story and hit 70? I know the Omega raid is supposed to be added soon

Varjis

Also, I've hit a dilemma and I'm not even sure SE can help me. I haven't played in 3 years, so I needed a password reset. I requested one and the resulting page asked for my one-time password from SQEX Token app. I can't get access the token app because it asks for registration password from S-E Account Management System... but S-E Account Management System requests my password (which I'm trying to reset in the first place). Wtf? Such a convoluted pain in the arse system. I emailed SE but not sure what they can do. I miss the GAF clans 😞

I ran into the same thing coming back. I called their phone support and they got it fixed. :)

Alright, I finally got Stormblood. I was going to wait until I leveled my MCH and tried out a healer job but my patience doing PvP and PotD over and over ran out.

Opening movie isn't as good as Heavensward, but it'll grow on me.

Gnomist

It's more likely he just doesn't give a shit

That's entirely possible, but some people have started crunching numbers and have shown that reverting to a 2.0 style of BLM rotation is a pretty minor dps loss while providing a bit extra mobility. I believe someone above me posted the link, but it's worth being aware for all players since seeing someone use Fire 1 a lot doesn't immediately mean they're clueless. At the very least it's good for BLM players to know that if for some reason they find themselves in a situation where Enochain has fallen off (totally avoidable but hey, sometimes it happens) then you're still pretty close to full power.

MikeBison

How is the endgame after you finish the story and hit 70? I know the Omega raid is supposed to be added soon

Omega raid (first 4 delta's) is already in.

Then you have 2 70 dungeons and the 2 ex primals.

That's entirely possible, but some people have started crunching numbers and have shown that reverting to a 2.0 style of BLM rotation is a pretty minor dps loss while providing a bit extra mobility. I believe someone above me posted the link, but it's worth being aware for all players since seeing someone use Fire 1 a lot doesn't immediately mean they're clueless. At the very least it's good for BLM players to know that if for some reason they find themselves in a situation where Enochain has fallen off (totally avoidable but hey, sometimes it happens) then you're still pretty close to full power.

I mean if he was doing 1.3k DPS, he wasn't even doing the 2.0 rotation properly, which is really sad considering it's just spam Fire I until proc, then use proc, then more Fire I.

Talking about horror DF stories, yesterday I did my leveling roulette on my paladin, got Last Vigil(52 dungeon in HW, so no cool pld skills unlocked yet, just halone spam the entire dungeon). I did more damage than either of the 2 DPS, as paladin. The healer was also spamming Cure I the entire dungeon, no regen, no medica, I think he did cure II a couple of times for no reason and obviously no damage. It took almost 40mins, without any wipes or issues.

Grp was a dragoon, not sure what he was doing since I don't know dragoons, but he never used the buffing attack skill once and the other was a BLM with some Lux relic so he actually did play the class before even if it was a while ago, but somehow kept ending at 0 mana and having to transpose instead of using blizzard III before the last fire or whatever.

Some people definitely just don't give a damn, they just press keys and who knows what happens.

I am so glad by sheer luck on the first few days of the expansion I was able to get ixion horns by being in the right place in the right place at the right time and got enough to get the ears and the minion. I don't care about the mount because it is ugly af.

rocK`

Banned
The level spike on the lvl 60 RDM class quest was a bit jarring. Going to try it again.

Then again, I was a total noob and got the other set (not shire set) from illydshire....doh.

Epcott

Yes, this is how I play it. You might need to find a sweet spot though with the camera if you plan to play melee class since you will have some visibility concerns on stuff happening in the arena if zoomed all the way in.

Thanks! I'll keep that in mind. I think I'll use the panned out view for boss fights. It helped a lot in the fight with Garuda.

I ran into the same thing coming back. I called their phone support and they got it fixed. :)

If they don't respond to the email, I'll just resort to calling them. Thanks!

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
so I'm 70 and done with MSQ and not really sure what to do now. I did the two post-msq level 70 dungeons, so I have the extreme duty unlocked. I guess I do that for 300 gear and verity tomes?

I probably have a lot of stuff I haven't unlocked yet from previous expansions. Like hunts, I don't know shit about hunts other than people spam for them all the time.

wamberz1

so I'm 70 and done with MSQ and not really sure what to do now. I did the two post-msq level 70 dungeons, so I have the extreme duty unlocked. I guess I do that for 300 gear and verity tomes?

I probably have a lot of stuff I haven't unlocked yet from previous expansions. Like hunts, I don't know shit about hunts other than people spam for them all the time.
You can also do omega now, should be unlocked in rhalgers reach

Pick up the Omega raid! It's in the Reach where Biggs and Wedge are at and it's super good so far.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I have it unlocked, but I'm not at 295

Gnomist

I mean if he was doing 1.3k DPS, he wasn't even doing the 2.0 rotation properly, which is really sad considering it's just spam Fire I until proc, then use proc, then more Fire I.

Absolutely. With a parser you will immediately see where the lack of dps is coming from. But if people see a BLM tossing out more Fire 1s than usual that alone isn't necessarily a good way to judge.

Perhaps that BLM has an alt job because I had a DRG in Sirensong who refused to use anything other than his Full Thrust combo. Our damage output didn't change much when he stood inside bad things and died during the boss fights. At the very least he could have been providing a small damage boost to our BRD who was doing all the heavy lifting for the run. At least the dual RDM group afterwards made up for the lost time in the previous run.

JudgeN

This is were FFXIV has always hit a massive wall, you have omega normal raid for 8 people. There is 4 turns (boss rush) and you will complete those in about an hour and you can get 1 drop per turn.

You got 2 Ex primals, one drops i320 weapons other drops i320 accessories so you can farm those till you've your fill.

Lastly you got 2 lvl 70 dungeons which drop i300 gear but don't matter much because they drop tombstones for i310 gear.

There you have it, you can level another job but game falls off once you hit the end of the story.

Korezo

This is were FFXIV has always hit a massive wall, you have omega normal raid for 8 people. There is 4 turns (boss rush) and you will complete those in about an hour and you can get 1 drop per turn.

You got 2 Ex primals, one drops i320 weapons other drops i320 accessories so you can farm those till you've your fill.

Lastly you got 2 lvl 70 dungeons which drop i300 gear but don't matter much because they drop tombstones for i310 gear.

There you have it, you can level another job but game falls off once you hit the end of the story.

This is where I quit and come back at the end of the expansion if I'm not playing any other game. I can't go through the same cycle over and over every update.

Sylas

This is where I quit and come back at the end of the expansion if I'm not playing any other game. I can't go through the same cycle over and over every update.

Both of these. The thing is, that's how they want the game to be designed. I don't necessarily disagree because part of the vitriol you see in a lot of other MMO communities comes from the fact that they can't play anything else of they'll fall behind. Even when it comes to relatively basic dungeon running. The dearth of content is especially bad at the very beginning of an expac though. Always a bit of a bummer.

Bebpo

Banned
I'm perfectly ok with how it's setup and I like that the game gets most "gamers" to bail and come back in a year or two.

Because in my experiences in the last 6 months, the people who stick around a year after an expansion launch are a great community, very friendly and helpful to new players with a strong sense of community. I started playing in November 2016 and almost every player interaction I had was great. Since SB launched 3 weeks ago, I've had a lot of bad player interactions and various things to make me really dislike the community. If it had been like this back in November I would've quit.

Right now the community feels filled with people who only care about NOW NOW FAST FAST BEST DPS BEST TANK BEST GEAR IXION FOX LADY, which results in things like 50 pfs only being like the same 4-6 events grinding with "you better be perfect or we'll kick you" attitude, people not being able to get into Lochs because everyone just sits and camps Ixion, and groups you get in anything else just doing their dailies to get to 70 so most of them don't give a fuck it's your first time trying to enjoy something, it's just about speed speed speed win. Challenge is an obstacle that slows things down for them. Fuck having a fun, good challenging time to enjoy the content your currently in, it's all just a grind to get to something fun at the end for them.

Then you have how the queues for a lot of the old content are now completely dead. All 6 24-man raids, Diadem, good luck. 3 months ago Crystal Tower was still like 4 years old, but you could get a group any day with a 20 min or so queue. The players sticking around long after launch seem to do all kinds of content regularly because...they're actually playing for fun, not just to do the latest raid/ex over and over to get the best gear possible.

I'm actually thinking about bailing on FF14 at this point now that I'm done with MSQ/Omega normal and coming back a month after Omega Savage in hopes that most of the players who jumped back on for SB have left the game by that point so I can have fun with a good nice community again. Like if I was on a team and someone was using a parser, even if I was doing great dps numbers I'd quit that team because I don't want to play with people who take the game that serious.

Then again, maybe I'm in the minority. I don't care about glamour or best gear or anything and the most fun part of the game for me is wipes. Because if you're not wiping it's boring. Min ilvl runs are way more fun for me than unsynced runs. Sure dungeon trash is zzz no matter what (which is why I'd rather have fewer dungeons and more trials/raids), but steamrolling bosses is about the most boring thing there is unless you're dying to see the following story. The more challenge the better. Wiping and then actually talking to your teammates and working through the challenge is the most satisfying thing out there.

/rant over, just bitter about the current community.
//doesn't apply to GAF FC who've been very friendly and helpful for me & duckroll going through older content for the first time.

Vic_Viper

At level 64/65, is it better to be running the Duty Roulette for leveling or running the few SB Dungeons ive unlocked so far in between MSQs? About to hit the next lvl group of quests and I dont think ill meet the requirements. What is the the more efficient method for leveling at this stage?

At level 64/65, is it better to be running the Duty Roulette for leveling or running the few SB Dungeons ive unlocked so far in between MSQs? About to hit the next lvl group of quests and I dont think ill meet the requirements. What is the the more efficient method for leveling at this stage?
That depends, are you tanking or healing?

Just had a full 310 blm spamming fire 1 throughout ala mhigo. He was doing 1.3k dps, I outdpsed him as an AST. If the mount dropped and he got it I would have lost my shit and unsubbed on the spot.
How can anyone be so clueless?

My story isn't quite as bad, but I'm working on getting Ninja to 70, and last night in one of my Doma Castle runs, there was an RDM who was legit only doing Verthunder and something else the whole time. No melee, no Verholy/Verflare.

iammeiam

TBH the Stormblood community isn't drastically different from the game at any other point in the past few years; the biggest difference is right now old-expansion bribes (the Aether Oils to get people to run CT, most of the old relic steps) are super ineffective, and everyone would rather go have fun with the shiny new stuff than the content they've been running for 4+ years that gets progressively less involving over time. But that's everyone--even the people I know who ground out multiple relics and lived in old content for most of the past six months are ignoring it for the moment, because there are newer/more fun options.

I dunno; my random PF experience has been okay. I'm obsessively parsing myself right now which means I end up with other people's numbers, and they're not great but nothing in the game requires them to be great, so /shrug. It's still fun to join a clear group and watch them panic less each pull when something goes wrong, and eventually kill the thing and realize it's not that hard as long as you recover instead of panicking or raging. Parsing doesn't require that I take everyone else super-seriously, it just lets me tell when I'm doing better or worse or if we're going to legitimately have a problem beating enrage because the aggregate number isn't going to work.

Roulette once a day for the bonus (preferably at the end of the day, so you're at the highest level for most bonus), then the highest level dungeon you have unlocked. Odd levels = new dungeons = chain kill bonus for mob XP; even levels have no chain bonus and so will generally seem to take longer. FATE grind or something in between, maybe, but your best actual in-instance experience will be your most recent dungeon.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
(preferably at the end of the day, so you're at the highest level for most bonus)

Does this really matter outside unlocking access to higher dungeons going from even->odd? Like. does the absolute percentage of the Levelling Roulette bonus increase at higher levels? Like otherwise sure you get more xp at higher levels but dungeon normal xp also goes up.

iammeiam

Does this really matter outside unlocking access to higher dungeons going from even->odd? Like. does the absolute percentage of the Levelling Roulette bonus increase at higher levels? Like otherwise sure you get more xp at higher levels but dungeon normal xp also goes up.

I don't think the raw percentage goes up, but I think the return on time still ends up being better assuming DPS queues and downtime between dungeons spent FATE grinding. The % of level won't change, but as the % of level gets higher the bonus over a 'normal' dungeon run becomes worth more FATEs? It might not be a huge difference but I'd definitely still advocate for holding roulette for an even level, at least, since the leveling dungeons become worth less on even levels.

although tbh I just get queue carries for dungeon spam and don't roulette much at all because what if it is Aurum Vale; SB dungeons are pretty killer EXP in general compared to the desert that was HW dungeons at launch.

Sandfox

I'm probably going to start learning to play on controller because mouse and keyboard has been killing my thumbs. I had to stop playing for a few days.

How do you upgrade your Shire Gear? Do you have to run Alexander?
You might as well not imo. Just get new gear as you progress.

Now that I think about it more I wish they handled TP like Blade & Soul handles Focus.

Basic attacks don't consume TP but refill it. You also have a but load of moves that consume TP (some spammable oGCDs and some not spammable oGCDs) that you have to balance out with moves that allow you to regain more TP.

This would end up with more oGCD usage which is good because I dislike how half of the combat is on long minute/multiple minute long timers.

The 2.5 second GCD time on weaponskills wouldn't even be a problem if the game filled the gap with frequent oGCD usage.

That's why it feels so fucking slow at low levels especially. Because all you have is one weapon skill > 2.5 seconds later > another weaponskill > 2.5 seconds later > first weapon skill again > repeat x9999.

TP feels even more archaic now since it's not even an issue most of the time. The only time that you might run out is on long AOE pulls where someone isn't pull their weight causing you to run out.

I'd rather TP be something you normally engage with in combat like B&S focus.

How do you upgrade your Shire Gear? Do you have to run Alexander?

To answer your question, you can upgrade your Shire gear by spending Poetic tomestones in Idyllshire on Illuminati Deepest Gobdip/Gobtwine etc. then taking them over to the upgrade person near the Splendors vendors outside. They're like 100 tomestones a piece.

Vic_Viper

To answer your question, you can upgrade your Shire gear by spending Poetic tomestones in Idyllshire on Illuminati Deepest Gobdip/Gobtwine etc. then taking them over to the upgrade person near the Splendors vendors outside. They're like 100 tomestones a piece.

Seika in Idyllshire upgrades those pieces. Visit her to see what upgrade items you need. They can all be purchased with poetics.

Thanks. Is it worth doing? Or is there better gear I can get easier at lvl 65? I mainly interested in getting a better weapon for my NIN atm.

Top Bottom