• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Now that I think about it more I wish they handled TP like Blade & Soul handles Focus.

Basic attacks don't consume TP but refill it. You also have a but load of moves that consume TP (some spammable oGCDs and some not spammable oGCDs) that you have to balance out with moves that allow you to regain more TP.

This would end up with more oGCD usage which is good because I dislike how half of the combat is on long minute/multiple minute long timers.

The 2.5 second GCD time on weaponskills wouldn't even be a problem if the game filled the gap with frequent oGCD usage.

That's why it feels so fucking slow at low levels especially. Because all you have is one weapon skill > 2.5 seconds later > another weaponskill > 2.5 seconds later > first weapon skill again > repeat x9999.

TP feels even more archaic now since it's not even an issue most of the time. The only time that you might run out is on long AOE pulls where someone isn't pull their weight causing you to run out.

I'd rather TP be something you normally engage with in combat like B&S focus.
You should play SAM. Their Kenki gauge is exactly this. Almost all their oGCDs are tied to kenki which you naturally build and expend. A lot of people lost their shit over Iaijutsu and 1000 potency Midares but in practice their major kenki dump, Hissatsu: Shinten takes the potency edge over Iaijutsu.

LProtag

Damn, I'm having some serious lag issues. The game just keeps going and I can see the chat still going, but all the enemies and players freeze, and then start back up 15-20 seconds later.

Probably my connection... which sucks.

MikeBison

You should play SAM. Their Kenki gauge is exactly this. Almost all their oGCDs are tied to kenki which you naturally build and expend. A lot of people lost their shit over Iaijutsu and 1000 potency Midares but in practice their major kenki dump, Hissatsu: Shinten takes the potency edge over Iaijutsu.

I don't really understand what you're saying. How does a 300 potency attack take the edge over a buffed a 720+50% move? You're just weaving shinten in between things.

Blitzhex

I'm probably going to start learning to play on controller because mouse and keyboard has been killing my thumbs. I had to stop playing for a few days.

You might as well not imo. Just get new gear as you progress.

Huh, thumbs are the two things you don't use on m+kb. Controller is pretty fun though, it's relaxing and feels like a you're playing a different game. I like to switch to controller when I'm doing mindless grinds like leveling.

My story isn't quite as bad, but I'm working on getting Ninja to 70, and last night in one of my Doma Castle runs, there was an RDM who was legit only doing Verthunder and something else the whole time. No melee, no Verholy/Verflare.

Pretty sure your guy was doing even less dps if he was only using verthunder, that's a 5 sec cast lmao.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think the raw percentage goes up, but I think the return on time still ends up being better assuming DPS queues and downtime between dungeons spent FATE grinding. The % of level won't change, but as the % of level gets higher the bonus over a 'normal' dungeon run becomes worth more FATEs? It might not be a huge difference but I'd definitely still advocate for holding roulette for an even level, at least, since the leveling dungeons become worth less on even levels.

although tbh I just get queue carries for dungeon spam and don't roulette much at all because what if it is Aurum Vale; SB dungeons are pretty killer EXP in general compared to the desert that was HW dungeons at launch.

Oh for sure; I was just saying I didn't see much of a point in holding it for a future odd level when you could use it on an even level now, is all.

xkramz

Can i get some general consensus on AST (asttrologean)? Is it good and fun?

Also where do I go after shire 260 gear for my SMN?

Can i get some general consensus on AST (asttrologean)? Is it good and fun?

Also where do I go after shire 260 gear for my SMN?
AST is arguably the strongest healer at the moment. I don't find it particularly fun since the job is kind of basic now but a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

You can get 260 gear for poetics at Idyllshire

Sylas

Guys, currently level 25.

Would I potentially have more fun boosting straight to 60?

I boosted an alt to 60. I've been playing since launch and I was horribly confused with how much stuff there was to unlock all at once. I think it's better to just level and unlock all of the important stuff naturally.

AST is arguably the strongest healer at the moment. I don't find it particularly fun since the job is kind of basic now but a lot of people seem to enjoy it.

AST is much more fun than before, imo. The only thing I dislike is braindead easy damage. I'm pretty sure I hit malefic III for 10k a couple of times... I guess this goes for every healer though since I dislike how cleric stance is not a stance anymore and makes things easier.

Oh, ok, the item I've been losing rolls on Susano is just the crafting item and I've never actually seen a mount drop in fuck if I know how many runs

Send help

Bebpo

Banned
As of 4.0, when you hit lvl.70 with DoH/DoL classes, is there a postgame grind using scrips to get higher gear? Or is the lvl.70 gear set and lvl.70 job quest the end for each class until 4.1? I'm like one GC away from 70 with my Fisher.

Kenai

I think it's the most involved out of all the healers. We ended up with more buttons to press than fewer, especially after seeing what you got with Sleeve Draw or watching Earthly Star positioning in addition to before. The dmg "rotation" is as boring as ever but that was nothing new.

Outside of a few of the same old complaints like 20% Balance needing nerbatted and making Spear more useful I'm pretty damn happy with the job, definitely moreso that last expansion. And I loved it then.

pantsmith

Still working on Heavensward, but a couple observations:

1. STOP working with Ascians. Just dont do it. There is nothing gained so useful that its worth cutting a Faustian bargain with an evil shadow person.

2. Your chocobo is MVP, even if they arent written into the story. My bromance with my chocobo is the stuff of legend.

3. HW's story is at least fourteen times better than ARR. All the new characters - Azure Dragoon, Iceheart, The "Mongrel", the bug/crabs - I cannot wait to see what they do with Stormblood if it holds up this kind of quality and momentum.

ebil

As of 4.0, when you hit lvl.70 with DoH/DoL classes, is there a postgame grind using scrips to get higher gear? Or is the lvl.70 gear set and lvl.70 job quest the end for each class until 4.1? I'm like one GC away from 70 with my Fisher.
Yes, you can grind (completely uncapped) Yellow Scrips to get blue quality i300 gear, but the gear iself is sort of underwhelming compared to melded crafted i290 white quality gear. It's mostly there for glamour or if you don't want to bother overmelding stuff (it should be noted that there is currently very little point in overmelding anyway since everything is easily obtainable in crafted white, non-melded gear). The tools and body pieces are the more interesting slots to fill since their crafted equivalents require a lot more (expensive) melding to be better.

Bebpo

Banned
Yes, you can grind (completely uncapped) Yellow Scrips to get blue quality i300 gear, but the gear iself is sort of underwhelming compared to melded crafted i290 white quality gear. It's mostly there for glamour or if you don't want to bother overmelding stuff (it should be noted that there is currently very little point in overmelding anyway since everything is easily obtainable in crafted white, non-melded gear). The tools and body pieces are the more interesting slots to fill since their crafted equivalents require a lot more (expensive) melding to be better.

Thanks, sounds like I'll just do the 70 quest and move on to my next DoH and DoL.

B.K.

I think I'm going to start leveling DoH/DoL classes since I'm out of Stormblood content. I'm going to start with gatherers. My Miner is 50. Are collectables the best way to level from 50 to 60 and then 60 to 70?

ebil

I didn't even really use leves for fishing outside of opportunity. Just went and explored every fishing location with Field Manuals, then went on to fish the Tiny Tatsunoko and farmed some Dusklight Aethersand (I mean, I was going to farm it anyway so I might as well get some xp while doing it). Made a few millions selling leve and GC turn-in fish, too. Outside of 68 to 69, it was pretty painless. I guess that's not the most efficient way but to me fishing is all about exploring and filling your log anyway.

But yeah, don't use leves on Miner and Botanist (for the 60 to 70 grind anyway). Farm collectables instead, it'll buy you every single Tome of Folklore before you even reach 70.

scy

But yeah, don't use leves on Miner and Botanist (for the 60 to 70 grind anyway). Farm collectables instead, it'll buy you every single Tome of Folklore before you even reach 70.

Likewise, Culinarian and Alchemist both are pretty easy to get to 70 via collectibles, if only for a mountain of IVs to explode when trying to overmeld the new gear for no real good reason besides wanting to.

SAM was one of the things that prompted my post. I've heard a lot of talk regarding how things change a lot at 62 with the Kenki Mastery trait which lets you start generating Kenki for real.

That and my Tam Tara leveling roulette and just general thought regarding Blade & Soul's combat.

Ideally this would be present from low level just like Blade & Soul does it from the start and just builds it up over time as you unlock more skills and get more points to spec different abilities (FFXIV doesn't have this but it would still work without).

I'm actually planning on getting SAM to 70 after I finish with Ninja. I have heard nothing but good things about SAM's max level play so I'm looking forward to it.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
Damn, I'm having some serious lag issues. The game just keeps going and I can see the chat still going, but all the enemies and players freeze, and then start back up 15-20 seconds later.

Probably my connection... which sucks.

I had the issue too, i reset my modem and router, and it seemed to fix it.

IvorB

Anyone else feel that the Lochs is a pretty crappy final zone? After Moh Dona and Azyls Lla I was expecting something a little grander.

Update from my early impressions!

I gotta say the game got a lot better, I'm just level 30 but I'm having a lot more fun now between all the content that it's been unlocked one after the other (chocobo race, retainers, challenges, etc).

I'm also doing some quests that are finally challenging my abilities, and the amount of filler side quests is diminishing. The story is also moving and getting better.

Oh and the thing that keeps me going for SURE: I want to master archery fast so I can change to another job, probably to carpenter lol. I love craft jobs.

Arkeband

Banned
Update from my early impressions!

I gotta say the game got a lot better, I'm just level 30 but I'm having a lot more fun now between all the content that it's been unlocked one after the other (chocobo race, retainers, challenges, etc).

I'm also doing some quests that are finally challenging my abilities, and the amount of filler side quests is diminishing. The story is also moving and getting better.

Oh and the thing that keeps me going for SURE: I want to master archery fast so I can change to another job, probably to carpenter lol. I love craft jobs.

You can switch to other jobs when you hit level 10 on one.

Qvoth

seems like ixion spawned when i was asleep...
don't think i'll camp it any longer, this is getting stupid
wtzgU.gif

JORMBO

Darkness no more
seems like ixion spawned when i was asleep...
don't think i'll camp it any longer, this is getting stupid
wtzgU.gif

Agreed. I have 7 horns. I figure I'll just get the rest if I happen to be on and he pops. I'm not going to put effort into camping him, especially since he spawned around 4am last night.

ebil

Ten Chi Jin looks so cool in videos.

Can't wait till I hit 70 so I can actually test it out.

Have you tried that WTFast thing?

Never used it before but it might help.
Ten Chi Jin is SO WEIRD when you first try it. I think I got rabbits the first 2-3 times I used it, then you forget all you know about muscle memory and learn to not rush it and it becomes second nature.

So, so happy with how ninja turned out this expansion.

Ten Chi Jin is SO WEIRD when you first try it. I think I got rabbits the first 2-3 times I used it, then you forget all you know about muscle memory and learn to not rush it and it becomes second nature.

So, so happy with how ninja turned out this expansion.

Yeah, I didn't get it at all, but now I see I've been missing out big time.

They even give you a hint in the name -_-

ebil

Yeah, I didn't get it at all, but now I see I've been missing out big time.

They even give you a hint in the name -_-
Personally, it was having to press the Ninjutsu button after each mudra to execute each Ninjutsu that made me fight with 3+ years of muscle memory. Kept trying to do my full Suiton sequence the first few times even though I was aware of how it worked, lol.

Jeels

So I'm actually having difficulty finding a group that can clear The Royal Menagerie in pf. This is really surprising because I felt like the last fight in Heavensward was a faceroll.

Top Bottom