• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIV: Stormblood |OT| Y'all Need to Calm Down

ebil

The next 4 delta's of Omega out tomorrow right?
Along with the first 4 delta's in savage?
No. FF14 raids are 4 fights. Savage is out next week, not tomorrow.

The next raids you'll be looking forward to after Omega Savage are Return to Ivalice (alliance raid, easy) and Mystery Harder Than Savage fight, which will release in 4.1.

MikeBison

Well, shit. I just assumed they would release 4 Detlas each week until it was done and then Return to Ivalice would be further down the line.

Guess i've got time to take a break and play FF12.

atmuh

still getting used to how ultros does hunts. on my previous server it would be invite shouts and everyone just plays whack a mole inviting people so I'm not used to opening up pf but I can see how this makes a bit more sense

How do you like SCH / SMN at 70? SCH was my first class, but I abandoned it at 42 because I didn't have Swiftcast and didn't want to raise BM to get it. (Well, that and CS dancing mishaps).

I've got AST sitting at 42 right now too, and it's pretty fun. ^^

How does SUM play? Is it fun or just Broil / Ruin x 1000?
SMN I haven't had the chance to play around with yet.

SCH? I dislike everything they did to SCH this expansion. It honestly feels terrible compared to 2.0-3.0 SCH. The mana usage increase has been super hard to adjust to for me. Having Largesse is great but it comes at the expense of Eye for Eye considering Swiftcast, Protect, Esuna, and Lucid Dreaming are required skills for any healer.

New skills are honestly awful. Excogitation is...fine. Broil II is whatever. Chain Strategem is quite frankly meaningless if you ask me. I'm sure someone will tell you how great this may be for DPS but you as a SCH/Healer honestly don't 'feel' like you're doing anything beneficial for the team.

Fey Union is underwhelming. Feels like it takes way to long to build up your Faerie Gauge and it feel like I'm purposely wasting Aetherflow stacks just to build it up for a skill that honestly isn't worth it.

Well, shit. I just assumed they would release 4 Detlas each week until it was done and then Return to Ivalice would be further down the line.

Nah, the main raids come in tiers of 4 and are released every 7 months give or take.

The first part of Ivalice should come in 2 months or so.

Nightz

Right now I'm doing Level 30 Quests, I'm
on my way to deal with the Kobolds
. Can someone tell me how far I am into the ARR story and how much more I have to do before reaching Heavensward?
I'm on level 36 quests and I think I have like 160 more quests before Heavensward. :(

duckroll

It takes a lot of effort to design and tune boss fights, and each set is basically 4 boss fights, some more complex than others.

MikeBison

It takes a lot of effort to design and tune boss fights, and each set is basically 4 boss fights, some more complex than others.

Yeah, i understand that. A long with the story content to go with it.

I've just never been about when a raid has launched fresh so didn't know how the content rolled out.

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like

I've just never been about when a raid has launched fresh so didn't know how the content rolled out.
Yeah generally speaking unless you have more than one main job you would like to work on than you're going to have some extra time to play other games on the side because you're routine would boil down to logging in to do some daily daily objectives (Gold Saucer Cacpot, Roulettes, Beast Tribe Quests) or work on some weekly objectives (Omega drops and Wondrous Tales) until the next batch of content drops in 9 weeks.

MikeBison

Yeah generally speaking unless you have more than one main job you would like to work on than you're going to have some extra time to play other games on the side because you're routine would boil down to logging in to do some daily daily objectives (Gold Saucer Cacpot, Roulettes, Beast Tribe Quests) or work on some weekly objectives (Omega drops and Wondrous Tales) until the next batch of content drops in 9 weeks.

I've been levelling miner and blacksmith, first time doing any land/hand jobs so i've got something to do. And I want to get a nice new mount but I'll definitely slow down other than doing some weekly Omega clears etc.

duckroll

I haven't either! It's pretty exciting to tackle brand new content with everyone going in blind on day one!

aceface

I suppose it's too much to hope that Omega Savage gets its own story. I feel like they could make it work within the framework they have set up for Omega already:
Say,
Omega decides that your battle data is not good enough, so it throws more difficult battles at you to defeat. Then, after the 3rd Omega tier in 4.4 they could set it up where you can get both the good ending (if you beat Omega normal) or the "true" ending if you beat Savage. Make Savage like coil- only open up the next tier after the previous tier has been completed and then, for the story section of the third tier have Omega kill everyone anyways (because your performance was not sufficient or whatever) unless you beat the 3rd Savage tier to get the "true" ending.

But nah, they'll probably just do minstrel.

LProtag

Shot in the dark here, but I was having a problem like that and it turned out my wireless connection was to blame. I'd never had major issues with other games, but FFXIV is apparently very bad at dealing with client-side packet loss. I was constantly getting massive lag spikes, after a few seconds of which I would either disconnect or everything would sort of play in fast-forward in my client until I was back up to speed. It was weird.

The solution for me was to upgrade my wireless connection to 5ghz instead of 2.4ghz. Everything's been smooth since then.

The thing is, I didn't have this problem a few months ago when I was playing. And I share internet with my housemates downstairs as I can't get a hookup in my apartment as it's a converted attic...

chogidogs

How do you guys manage your armor chest? I have 3 main jobs going and about 4 crafting ones and I'm constantly managing it coz I always run out of space. Makes the idea of starting a new job even more troublesome.

duckroll

Mini Cactpot was good today.

DEYFoiLVoAAuIuY.jpg

Gunblade47

Neo Member
Wow going through the forums I'm surprised at how much loathing tanks and healers currently have for eachother. Im comfortable on my healer so Ill stick to that because I sure as hell dont want another healer moaning at me about how the current meta is for the paladin to heal while the healer dpses. Ill just wait for my SO to reach 70 before I tank again atleast we communicate with eachother and are mindful of our cooldowns.

I wonder how many tanks exist that simply opt to run qith close friends instead of randoms purely to avoid hostility like that?

Ooooooooooh boy...

So, uh, I REALLY like the game so far. But...does the story or its presentation pick up at all until then? Maybe in regards to voiced dialogue? Cutscenes? Those do exist all ready but they sure are sparse as fuck :/

It's been a while since I played through the ARR story, but I remember the story picking up significantly from level 40-50. The 2.x stories are fine too. Heavensward and Stormblood still blow it all out of the water though.

Ooooooooooh boy...

So, uh, I REALLY like the game so far. But...does the story or its presentation pick up at all until then? Maybe in regards to voiced dialogue? Cutscenes? Those do exist all ready but they sure are sparse as fuck :/
Yes to everything

You're basically at the worst part of the game storywise. Game picks up immensely once you get over the main ARR plot and the expansions are miles better.

Ruff

Speaking of the story, lol, apparently the threat of Titan is a big deal but now this guy wants me spend hours collecting food for him. Mmos man...

duckroll

Speaking of the story, lol, apparently the threat of Titan is a big deal but now this guy wants me spend hours collecting food for him. Mmos man...

The Titan trolling, the Garuda trolling, and the 2.1 to 2.3 zzzzzzzzzzz content are the lowest points of FFXIV. Those are clearly time wasting filler questlines where they make you do as much pointless garbage as possible to pad out stuff because they could make a limited amount of "OMG" content.

But that all changes with 2.4. From that point on, presumably because FFXIV actually took off and they knew they wouldn't be wasting their time on a dead project, everything got really focused and streamlined. Budget got a big boost too.

Shy Fingers

Banned
My group is getting excited for Omega Savage to drop. We spent a good chunk of time messing with openers, timings, and aggro. I'm still trying to get the hang of coordinating Upheavals with Trick Attack.

We've all seemed to have settled on our classes we're going to be rolling as well:
Tanks: PLD/WAR
Healers: WHM/AST
DPS: NIN/SAM/RDM/SMN

I have DRK leveled in case more utility is needed, but WAR is just much more fun.

Ruff

The Titan trolling, the Garuda trolling, and the 2.1 to 2.3 zzzzzzzzzzz content are the lowest points of FFXIV. Those are clearly time wasting filler questlines where they make you do as much pointless garbage as possible to pad out stuff because they could make a limited amount of "OMG" content.

But that all changes with 2.4. From that point on, presumably because FFXIV actually took off and they knew they wouldn't be wasting their time on a dead project, everything got really focused and streamlined. Budget got a big boost too.

I'm glad it gets out of this rut eventually then. Where is 2.4 game wise, is it what people call the expansions?

IvorB

This is the absolute low point of the MSQ in this game. The Titan banquet fiasco is legendary bullsh*t.

iammeiam

Never done Savage stuff.

Can you just pug it?

I want to fight O4 (Savage) spoiler
Neo Exdeath

If Omega is like creator you'll be able to PUG the first two floors no problem from, like, week one. The last two will take longer to be mass PUGable and your best best for clears will be running Tuesday resets, but eventually PF will get there.

It's it's like Gordias or Midas than we're all doomed anyway.

Finding a group of people you don't want to punch in the mouth to run with weekly is still preferable just for enjoyment factor/less loot drama, but based on everything they've said I'd expect PUG life to be pretty strong.

Shaping up to raid with a pretty non-optimal comp, and healing srs stuff for the first time ever, so it should at least be entertaining.

I'm glad it gets out of this rut eventually then. Where is 2.4 game wise, is it what people call the expansions?

It's after the main story, close to the beginning of the first expansion. The main scenario quests continue after you "beat" the main story for ARR and each expansion.

2.x = A Realm Reborn
3.x = Heavensward
4.x = Stormblood

I can definitely see ARR being a slog nowadays, especially since the expansions improve upon it so much.

Shaping up to raid with a pretty non-optimal comp, and healing srs stuff for the first time ever, so it should at least be entertaining.
I'm kind of in the same spot, though I think our comp would be considered optimal. Healing serious content for the first time as well.

Prog should be funny considering I'm one greedy son of a bitch. People will die while I chuck rocks.

Sylas

I suppose it's too much to hope that Omega Savage gets its own story. I feel like they could make it work within the framework they have set up for Omega already:
Say,
Omega decides that your battle data is not good enough, so it throws more difficult battles at you to defeat. Then, after the 3rd Omega tier in 4.4 they could set it up where you can get both the good ending (if you beat Omega normal) or the "true" ending if you beat Savage. Make Savage like coil- only open up the next tier after the previous tier has been completed and then, for the story section of the third tier have Omega kill everyone anyways (because your performance was not sufficient or whatever) unless you beat the 3rd Savage tier to get the "true" ending.

But nah, they'll probably just do minstrel.
The whole reason behind normal mode and savage is for the people who don't want to do actual raiding but still want to see the story. Locking a "true" ending. Behind savage would be frustrating for everyone involved.

iammeiam

Prog should be funny considering I'm one greedy son of a bitch. People will die while I chuck rocks.

This sounds like the WHM I'm going to be stuck with, who claims to be WHM because they didn't want to level a pet class or force me to switch off AST but I'm like 90% sure just wants the highest personal DPS.

I am going to spend the entire tier triggered by Assize going off half a GCD before I detonate Earthly Star. "But it was up!" I planted that thing 15 seconds ago you had to know it was going off after that AOE FIGHT ME.

Really I'll just retaliate by overwriting AOE balance on them with single target spear.

Orgun

How much longer until I unlock Ishgard?

I've done the MSQ and had the credits roll and im now
building up the Scions in Mor Ghana (or whatevs). Unlocked a bunch of Hard mode dungeons.

First Baha coil was hell on PUGs but I never played actual savage stuff post-ARR so I don't know where it sits now.

I mean in the first days most Pugs couldn't do the first floor sub-boss.

This sounds like the WHM I'm going to be stuck with, who claims to be WHM because they didn't want to level a pet class or force me to switch off AST but I'm like 90% sure just wants the highest personal DPS.

I am going to spend the entire tier triggered by Assize going off half a GCD before I detonate Earthly Star. "But it was up!" I planted that thing 15 seconds ago you had to know it was going off after that AOE FIGHT ME.
My job icon might be green but I assure you my heart is red.
Really I'll just retaliate by overwriting AOE balance on them with single target spear.
So what you're saying is that you want me to cast Assize more often? Don't mind if I do!

iammeiam

First Baha coil was hell on PUGs but I never played actual savage stuff post-ARR so I don't know where it sits now.

I mean in the first days most Pugs couldn't do the first floor sub-boss.

Faust and Hummelfaust in Gordias/Midas were rolling statics established since Coil; PUGs wiping to them for the entire tier wasn't uncommon. Faust kept popping up the entire expansion because he was traumatizing in ways ADS only wishes he could have been.

Faust Z in Creator wasn't much of a threat, though, so if they go for Creator ezpz.

WHMs already have a built in Spear, I don't think they care anymore

Yeah less about Spear itself being bad, more about just denying them Balance. Substitute with Bole for similar effect.

I still have nightmares with Hummelfaust. Our group had a few people new to Savage and we were only playing on weekends so that thing took us like 2 weeks to get through.

Man, I miss A5S. That fight was fun and we didn't know about A6 and A7 yet, we were so happy.
How far is 4.2 away? How is the content-release schedule for FFXIV? I'm used to waiting months for new content with WoW.
Each patch takes about 3.5 months so 4.2 should be in January or so.

B.K.

How much longer until I unlock Ishgard?

I've done the MSQ and had the credits roll and im now
building up the Scions in Mor Ghana (or whatevs). Unlocked a bunch of Hard mode dungeons.

You still have another 100 or so quests in 2.xx before Heavensward.

Top Bottom